Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 120 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120
Results 2,976 to 2,992 of 2992

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Elan Has Arrived!

Great support guy's

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Guys
    Things were moving along on the Elan,until I installed the main gear. The rails are mounted wrong on one side, causing the strut and wheel not to nest in the wheel well. Take a look at the photos, looks like they used filler trying to cover it up. Will contact dealer next week and see what they can do for me.

Charlie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sq47280.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	1821339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy79789.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	1821340   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fk18219.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	1821341  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Charlie,
    Ya that looks too deep.

same on my first elan, one of the rails was off.. I ground out all the body fiberglass, and laid a custom piece of ply glued to it.. the ply had to be thinner towards the middle.. then I ended up shimming the whole thing with one washer on that side... Post some better pics..

recommend #6 screws 1.25 inch long.. Its ok to shim the mount with washers too.. my new one needed a single washer on the outside.. no big deal..
    Goose
    Wren Turbines USA, Fromeco Avionics, JetiUSA Flight Team, www.Espritmodel.com www.demonaero.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well after I got done wineing and drying my eyes. I cut into it and made mods to the rails, it's a shame you have to make repairs on a new airplane. Pressing on !

Thanks Goose !

Charlie

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Charlie H.

Well after I got done wineing and drying my eyes. I cut into it and made mods to the rails, it's a shame you have to make repairs on a new airplane. Pressing on !

Thanks Goose !

Charlie
    post pics of the mod please.. this is not too unusual problem..just for historical purposes.. thx..
    Goose
    Wren Turbines USA, Fromeco Avionics, JetiUSA Flight Team, www.Espritmodel.com www.demonaero.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, They have resin layed on top of the wood rails, 1/4-5/16 thick. I milled out the resin to get the angle right and filled in the sides with Hysol epoxy. The instructions called for 2.6 x 12mm screws to attach the gear to the rails. The 12mm L screws are too short to get into the wood rails, went with # 4X 3/4 SM screws.

Charlie

Name:	Db84884.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	1821460  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I usually use num 6 sm screws. But if they are tight then ok. Harden the rails with thin ca
    Goose

My Elan has been going great for a couple of years now with many flights. I have a P120SX in it, and am pulling it out for another project and putting a P100RX in it's place.

Anyone had any particular issues/words of wisdom/experience with this combo? Also interested in what sized fuel tank those running this combo are using and flight times. I'm wanting to keep it as light as possible with this refit.

Cheers,
    Colin
    CARF Ultra Flash, CARF Tucano, Skymaster Large Hawk, 2.5 Futura, CARF Spark (Turbine), Elan, Skymaster Viper 2.6
    CARF Pits Python, CARF 2.3 Extra
    Building: CARF P-47, Skymaster F-14, CARF Mig-15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thats easy..
    I wouldn't change anything other than a rebalance to match the CG of what you just took out.. whatever the difference is.. IF its 1lb, then move both 6 ounce battery packs back about 8 inches for example.... but first, depending on where your turbine battery is, you can put it right behind the main tank on the CG... thats the quickest way.. see my pics above way back in 2007, or on the other thread.. (red radio tray)
    Goose

I completed the refit of my Elan, removing the P120SX (destined for another model), and putting in a P100RX. It has served me well with the 120SX for the last couple of years with many flights. Photo of the refit... nice having a bit more room to put things, and the all up weight is now quite a bit less. The P100RX is another story though. I had the accelleration problems others have reported (supposedly fixed by setting the idle throttle response to Very Slow), including one very hot start which fried the underside of my stab. Fortunately I had a bit of alum tape protecting the servo hatches, but clearly I should have had a lot more! Removed the blistered covering, lightly sanded, and good coating of tape this time... just in case!

After fiddling around quite a bit, I got one good start and run out of the P100RX, but now it wont start at all... gets to Preheat2, the starter motor starts, and then it stops almost straight away before even getting to ignition with an "RPM Low" error... tried everything, engine sent back to Peter Agnew for him to sort out. It's first flight after the refit will have to wait!

Name:	Ay74466.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	1827169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb88428.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	1827170   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lq36422.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	1827171  
    CARF Ultra Flash, CARF Tucano, Skymaster Large Hawk, 2.5 Futura, CARF Spark (Turbine), Elan, Skymaster Viper 2.6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

put two washers under the front mount and tilt the engine down a bit.. been there done that..Oh.. check the black plastic horn connectors closely, mine were melted and needed replacing..
    Goose

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Make a stovepipe "starter"piece18" or so long that hooks up to your turbine exhaust and ducts the heat away from the stab
    then you will have no more cosmetic damage here (ask me how Iknow)
    WREN TURBINES USA...GO GREEN!
    ALSO SEE: http://www.rcaircraft-specialties.com/

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Do a test start before putting the tail on, its even easier.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.
    No matter what anyone say's 100% is the maximum you can get.
    If you see a deleted post, my Avatar say's it all.

Thanks guys... I guess after years of flying my Elan with the P120SX and not even the slightest singe to the stab, I was complacent putting the new engine in. Anyway, given the damage was already done and I had to re-cover the underside of the sta/elevators anyway, this seemd the logical choice.

A friend of mine with an Elan has a sheet of folded lithoplate which puts over the stab, covering it almost totally, which he uses for all starts. Very quick and easy to put on and pull off. That's another approach to add to your suggestions.

Mike... pulling the stab off for the test start of a new engine is probably very wise, although given I store it with booms and stab always on, I certainly wouldnt want to do it every start, and I assume that is not what you are suggesting.

On another front... I have found that I always needed quite a bit of up trim for straight and level flight, so while I had the stab off, I took the opportunity to shim up the rear of the stab a bit with a couple of washers which should hopefully remove the need for the up trim.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used to transport the thing completely de-rigged (European vehicle LSE Range Rover) so a test start without the tail on was not a problem, but if you trasport with the booms and tail on the litho plate solution sounds like the easiest to operate with.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.

Mike... Isn't that one if the coolest things about the élan, that it breaks down to almost nothing size wise and is perfect for smaller cars. For me, storing and transporting with the booms on, I love that I can get to the field, hook up two servo leads, tighten four screws, and I'm good to fly  

Such a great plane... Though I've moved on to bigger and faster jets, I still love my Élan.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The one main problem with the Boomerangs is the attachement bolts are not captive or have a guide tube, I don't how many bolts rattling around inside wings there must be, but yes it is a very good airframe to learn on, but I think the Sprint has the edge over the Elan on performance and ease of handling, but not as pretty.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.