Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Spektrum AR9100 "Power-Safe" receiver

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Spektrum AR9100 "Power-Safe" receiver

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 05:14 PM
JustABigKid
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Spektrum AR9100 "Power-Safe" receiver

This new Spektrum receiver incorporates a dual battery high current bus, so you don't need a separate power system. Pretty neat...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odId=SPMAR9100
Old 10-18-2007, 10:50 PM
3DHELINUT

Default RE: New Spektrum AR9100 "Power-Safe" receiver

Very nice, i will have to order one or two tomorrow.

Alan
Old 10-18-2007, 11:15 PM
SinCityJets

Just a word of caution....it does not regulate the voltage to the servos....just an fyi
Old 10-19-2007, 05:43 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't like the idea of feeding 7+ volts to the servos from a freshly charged pack! But at least they are addressing the issue for the those models that are using a lot of servos. It seems to me that the a quality regulator with prper cooling is all that is really needed.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:26 AM
cairoman

Can't you use a powerbox sensor switch and solve the problem?

Chris
Old 10-19-2007, 08:43 AM
S_Ellzey

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Another interesting feature is that all of the recievers are remoted. I like that idea, the best place to bring all the servo leads together might not allways be the best place to put the antenna. This lets you spread them out.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:45 AM
asimace

I just got an AR9000 with two remote receivers for my DX7 and now they pull out this AR9100 that can manage up to 4 remotes!?!
I thought that 2 integrated receivers on the AR9000 plus the 2 extra remote receivers were more than enough but obviously I was wrong... should I worry?
I wouldn't be surprised now to see a AR9200 with six remote receivers ina the future...!!!
Ciao! Mauri
Old 10-19-2007, 08:46 AM
asimace

ORIGINAL: S_Ellzey

Another interesting feature is that all of the recievers are remoted. I like that idea, the best place to bring all the servo leads together might not allways be the best place to put the antenna. This lets you spread them out.
You mean the main unit doesn't house receivers? So the total count is 4 receivers as the AR9000?
Mauri
Old 10-19-2007, 09:01 AM
S_Ellzey

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: asimace

ORIGINAL: S_Ellzey

You mean the main unit doesn't house receivers? So the total count is 4 receivers as the AR9000?
Mauri
That is what it looks like. With the three AR9000's we are using now, accourding to the flight log, the remote reciever on all of them is getting the best signal, which I believe since it is moved further away from the rest of the electronics. Now all the reciever can be moved out. Plus the remote reciever has two antenna, which might also be improving its performance.

Steven
Old 10-19-2007, 09:27 AM
asimace

Makes sense...
Also it says it's compatible with the flight log we already have, so that could confirm again that the receivers are 4, like with teh AR9000...
Mauri
Old 10-19-2007, 09:32 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AR9100 uses only four receivers. They are all remote receivers compared to the AR9000 which has two internal and two external. This is just another developement that gives the end user a higher number of installation opportunities.

The amount of voltage that will be there when you plug in a fully charged pack is the same as any receiver currently out there. Nothing different, just the ability to deliver a higher current rate for the higher demands the world has been seeing in jets and large aircraft.

In response to Sin City jets: There isn't a receiver made currently that regulates voltage to the servos. The amount of voltage into the receiver is up to the end consumer. Not sure where your post of caution comes from here.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:51 AM
Patrick Frost
Banned
My Feedback: (88)

Johnny,

Are these safe to use on a Flite Metal Jet or Metal Kote Jet?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:58 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have had a few guys who have flown the module system in a flite metal F-100. They had no issues at all.

Also I have been told that teh Weatronic receivers have a voltage regulation system that is set for 6 volts built into it. I was not aware of this. But I think most will agree that the AR9100 falls more in line with the more conventional receivers out there over the programmable receivers available from Weatronic's.

John
Old 10-19-2007, 10:18 AM
SinCityJets

ORIGINAL: John Redman

In response to Sin City jets: There isn't a receiver made currently that regulates voltage to the servos. The amount of voltage into the receiver is up to the end consumer. Not sure where your post of caution comes from here.

John, I just didn't want people to think that since you can now plug multiple 7.2 li-poly (ion, mang, A123) packs directly in to the receiver, that it will regulate it down to a usable voltage for the servos. Having a store, I know for a fact that people were thinking they no longer needed regulators. By putting two sets of heavy duty power wires on the receiver, it could (does) give some people that illusion.

I was simply letting them know before you got a call complaining. It certainly wasn't intended to be a negative comment, JR/Spektrum is all I run!
Old 10-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Bob.R
My Feedback: (2)

Are the remote antennas the same as those in the AR 9000, i.e. are they interchangeable? I notice that these new power safe receivers are back ordered on the Horizon web site. Any idea when they will be available for shipment? Thanks.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Patrick Frost
Banned
My Feedback: (88)

Big Daddy JR,

One last question before you head off to the Boobie bar. [sm=kiss.gif] How does the AR9100 work in conjuction with Lithium Ion batteries? You know after flying most of my stuff that I use nothing but Fromeco batteries w/regulator on all my aircraft. Do I need to go back to the NiCad days or can I continue to use these with the AR9100 receivers?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:43 AM
dribbe

ORIGINAL: R_Belluomini

I don't like the idea of feeding 7+ volts to the servos from a freshly charged pack! But at least they are addressing the issue for the those models that are using a lot of servos. It seems to me that the a quality regulator with prper cooling is all that is really needed.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=SPMVR5203
I have been using this in my 'Scale' Mig 15 at the Jet World masters and so forth..... on 5 cell NiMH (not regulated)

Most all of the servos (8411,9411,8611) can handle the 5 cell native with no issues, but my flap servos were not happy (2721 or something). This gadget calmed them down after a couple years of struggling with them....
(I actually use a servo Y-harness after the Regulator do drive the two flap servos... and have one extra ciruit avilable in case I needed it for a retract or brake servo or similar).

The gadget is also handy for 'gyro' systems that prefer/require the regulation on that channel/circuit. Handy little device.

The great benifits of the 9100 for me are:
-Redundant batteries without more failure points or a lot of complexity.
-Very high power path to the Rx circuit to keep the Rx/bus voltage up there.... (Even if a servo failed, the voltage to most of the system has a good chance to stay UP with strong batteries.
-Less complexity/weight/wire/connector snarl than power box type solutions.
-Eliminates the power limitations of traditonal servo plugs.
-The 4 remoted Rx's are good for very 'dense and complex' aircraft as you can place all of the Rx's away from high power pumps, ESC's, large metal objects, dense areas of wiring, and have unique 'Rf paths' to each Rx'

It is true that the 'whole Servo bus' is not regulated in this 9100 solution. There are pluses and minuses to this... a plus being that you can probably put 50 amps through the input bus (not that you would want to, but the connecters, wires, and so forth can take it ), and it will not overheat, shutoff, or fail... there is an issue with some regulator systmes of the user simply over loading the regulators and having them shutoff... with no regulator, this failure point is eliminated... if there is juice in the battery, it makes it to the Rx and Servo bus.

(Of course, properly designed and utilized Regulated systems have there own uses as well.) IMHO, if you are using dual regulators and dual batteries, any one of the two batteries AND regulators should be able to supply the entire aircraft for the remainder of the flight... if not, you are only adding more complexity and single failure points without adding any reliability or real benefits.
(Kind of like a twin engine aircraft that won't fly on one engine!)

Have Fun,
David
Old 10-19-2007, 10:47 AM
dribbe

ORIGINAL: Patrick Frost

Big Daddy JR,

One last question before you head off to the Boobie bar. [sm=kiss.gif] How does the AR9000 work in conjuction with Lithium Ion batteries? You know after flying most of my stuff that I use nothing but Fromeco batteries w/regulator on all my aircraft. Do I need to go back to the NiCad days or can I continue to use these with the AR9000 receivers?
Frostie,

The Rx will work fine on 2s LiPo. The question is the servos, and what will they handle safely (perhaps not 2s LiPo unregulated).

Of course, As far as I am concerned personally, you can feed the AR9000 or 9100 with quality regulators as long as the power is adequate for the load, and you are comfortable with the 'safety' margins.

David
Old 10-19-2007, 11:02 AM
JustABigKid

Spektrum is also selling matching NiMh 5 cell packs for the AR9100, with the heavy duty connectors:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Stores/P...=SPM&CatId=RPB

These don't require any regulators - simple and less expensive...
Old 10-19-2007, 11:03 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Great looking product, Spektrum has a ton of SKUs coming through that pipe!!

I wonder when someone will come up with high end 7.4 volt servos. I know ACT already has them but that is a niche play.

I think a new line of high voltage JR servos would sell like hotcakes! (and give me a nice opening to buy up the used 6 volt stuff!!)

Regards (and congrats again to you guys),

Old 10-19-2007, 11:06 AM
dribbe

ORIGINAL: JustABigKid

Spektrum is also selling matching NiMh 5 cell packs for the AR9100, with the heavy duty connectors:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Stores/P...elease&IsNew=1

Yes indeed.
It is a solution that is taking the comparatively 'simple and robust' approach... You see quite a few new items announced around the I-hobby show.

David
Old 10-19-2007, 11:10 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: JustABigKid

Yes I am starting to use NiMH, a very good alternative with a more "normal" voltage range and very much improved internal impedance (they can supply a lot more current than they could a few years ago)

Less chance of burning down my house too!
Old 10-19-2007, 11:39 AM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dave,

Is there anything wrong with just running a 4-cell pack...NiMH or Ni-Cad? With the latest crop of super powerful servos out there, I can't imagine many applications that would need the extra torque and speed that a 5-cell provides.................That to me is the way to go. Very simple and reliable. I agree totally about the statement that each power pack should be able to run the system on it's own. That is why I run two in the first place! I have always run dual five cells and regulators....Lots of connection and failure points....a real mess! When I saw the 9100, all I could do is smile....great engineering to meet the needs.

Tailwinds,

John
Old 10-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

When does it end?

Okay Horizon how about posting The operating voltage range for JR Servos so we all can rest at ease on this issue.

I do like the the direction Spektrum has taken with AR9100, I guess I'll have to add another charging lead to my collection now.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 10-19-2007, 11:53 AM
dribbe

ORIGINAL: cactusflyer

Dave,

Is there anything wrong with just running a 4-cell pack...NiMH or Ni-Cad? With the latest crop of super powerful servos out there, I can't imagine many applications that would need the extra torque and speed that a 5-cell provides.................That to me is the way to go. Very simple and reliable. I agree totally about the statement that each power pack should be able to run the system on it's own. That is why I run two in the first place! I have always run dual five cells and regulators....Lots of connection and failure points....a real mess! When I saw the 9100, all I could do is smile....great engineering to meet the needs.

Tailwinds,

John
Thanks for your comments.
I can offer my personal opinion to some extent...
4 cells should work fine. A quality 4 cell Should offer 4 volts even under an extreme (and in a radio application abusive) load.
The Rx circuits are solid at 3.5 volts (as I remember).

A lot of the 'talk' about systems reseting due to voltage brownout has a lot of folks are being conservative... but, with quality (and charged ) batteries, it simply should not be (and is not) an issue. (It is also not an issue with properly engineered and utilized Regulator systems.)

I can only offer that comment that I have seen quite a few regulator systems in large powerful aircraft here in the US that are not properly speced, and are running beyond spec and have no safety margin if something does hiccup (and have many single failure points therefore built in). Users of these systems should pay some attention and educate themselves better IMHO (soapbox off).

(There are also some issues out there with false peaking fast chargers with modern NiMH cell chemistries. Folks with investments in good aircraft should invest in a quality charger that displays juice put in the battery, monitor the situation, and cycle the batteries from time to time. (and/or use a slow charger if they are not willing to) (soapbox really off )

Have fun,
David

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.