Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

I lost my Vector Thrust Euro-Sport

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

I lost my Vector Thrust Euro-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: I lost my Vector Thrust Euro-Sport

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Likai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Woketman

Thanks!
I have uploaded it again, but preious one is ok now.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...87897819&hl=en
Last flight before crash
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...72340753&hl=en
What wrong with Google Video?I have same experience one year ago.[:@]
Old 10-27-2007, 08:56 AM
flyreg

maybe a tip for your next project.

keep a fire extinguisher near you. Than you don't need a three to get the fire out. It also can safe extra damage to some parts of the plane.

And also say to you team-members. Not to stand on the wing when getting the fire out. There are servo's in the wing, they may be fine. But when somebody stand on it, you don't now what the problem could be why a servo's doesn't work (if it doesn't work after a crash)
Old 10-27-2007, 09:15 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Trundle

ORIGINAL: pilot tw

Hi, Likai

Ok, now you have more time for test fly our Av-8 with F-14 as soon, ....[sm=biggrin.gif][sm=biggrin.gif]

Best Regards

Anton
Wait... do i hear Skymaster F-14? [X(]

Excuse me while i wipe the drool off of my chin

Man what cool projects you guys are coming up with!
Yeah, That kinda got my attention too![8D]
Old 10-27-2007, 10:07 AM
Robrow

Interesting subject, I am assuming the VT nozzles are controlled using mixing similar to elevons on a delta with yaw function thrown in there for good measure? Also assuming a gyro is used on each of the 3 axis? This where I suppose things could get a little complicated....which gyro connects to which servo?

Rob.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Likai

ORIGINAL: Robrow

Interesting subject, I am assuming the VT nozzles are controlled using mixing similar to elevons on a delta with yaw function thrown in there for good measure? Also assuming a gyro is used on each of the 3 axis? This where I suppose things could get a little complicated....which gyro connects to which servo?

Rob.
Three servos for three axis motion of nozzles are plugged in the same control surface channels(left elevon, right elevon and rudder/nose-steering) on three PowerBox servo-match-control channels(A,B&C match channel). First time I used a GYA-352 for elevons and a GY-401 for rudder,but GYA-352 can't provide enough heading-lock effect for hovering requirement(in the same max Tx gyro gain setting, GY-401 will output about 3 times servo movement signal than GYA-352 in the same fuselage rotate angle).So I used 3 GY-401 gyros for 3 axis motion control later. The wing type in Tx was not set to Delta-wing type but normal type( same as using GYA-352). Then output signals of two GY-401 gyros(roll & pitch) were mixed by a V-tail mixer to control servos of elevons and nozzles. The gyro for yaw motion was connected to PowerBox match-channel C for servos of rudder, nozzle-yaw and nose-gear-steering.
In normal (high-speed) fly, gains of gyros for roll/pitch were set to heading-lock 20-30% and none-heading-lock 30% for yaw. In hovering (low-speed) fly, all gains of three gyros were set to heading-lock 100%.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:41 AM
Robrow

Great info. Likai and interesting to hear about the different gyro outputs. One thing is puzzling me.....you say only 3 servos are used? Surely 4 are neeeded? 2 for each nozzle?

Rob.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:06 AM
Kriptonic69
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry for your loss,,,, but i Kept Laughing My Head Off when i saw the guy beating the buring jet with a tree branch..........

Gene
Old 10-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Likai

ORIGINAL: Robrow

Great info. Likai and interesting to hear about the different gyro outputs. One thing is puzzling me.....you say only 3 servos are used? Surely 4 are neeeded? 2 for each nozzle?

Rob.

Yes, there are only three servos to control all nozzles. Two servos for roll/pitch and one for yaw. See picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72851.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	792003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67154.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	792004  
Old 10-28-2007, 09:59 AM
i3dm
My Feedback: (51)

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Likai, that Euro seemed to fly amazing !!

I got a few questions since im doing one as well:
1. which engines are these ?
2. is this the CARF Euro ?
3. which thrust vector systems did you use ?
4. can you post pics of the engines installation together with the VT ?
5. i thought about putting the turbine in the back of the model, but i see you installed them with tail pipes and the VT after the pipe which is much better for CG - which tail pipe can i use, and which VT system ?

i shall be doing mine with a single Merlin 160 MK2.. no VT roll control unfortunately. [] maybe i could program the canards to work like elevons with roll motion as well ?
Old 10-28-2007, 12:09 PM
Likai

ORIGINAL: i3dm

Likai, that Euro seemed to fly amazing !!

I got a few questions since im doing one as well:
1. which engines are these ?
2. is this the CARF Euro ?
3. which thrust vector systems did you use ?
4. can you post pics of the engines installation together with the VT ?
5. i thought about putting the turbine in the back of the model, but i see you installed them with tail pipes and the VT after the pipe which is much better for CG - which tail pipe can i use, and which VT system ?

i shall be doing mine with a single Merlin 160 MK2.. no VT roll control unfortunately. [] maybe i could program the canards to work like elevons with roll motion as well ?
Hi i3dm
Follow are my answer of your questions:
1. & 2. My C-ARF Euro-Sport was powered by twin JetCentral Rhino.
3. These vector thrust systems and pipes are made by myself from laser cut aluminium and stainless sheet.
4. See picture as follow.
5. If you use gyro control pitch motion (heading-lock), I think you can move C.G far back. In fact, because of two heavy engines locate in the back of original single engine position, the C.G of my ES is at 600mm measured from intake lip(compare to original setting 540mm). The short center of gravity to center of lift distance makes the plane easily flip across pitch-axis. Like many modern computer-aide full scale fighters which been designed natural unstable, it is impossible to fly a plane with such C.G position without gyro control.
6. In zero air speed, all control surfaces are no function, so I think that you set canards to elevons is useless.

Name:	Ge95994.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	792151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48137.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	792152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo31963.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	792153  
Old 10-28-2007, 12:31 PM
i3dm

Likai,

Can i get a tail pipe \ VT system from you for my Euro somehow ? i also sent you an email - please check it out..
Old 10-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Likai

Hi i3dm
I'm sorry, these nozzles and pipes are not available now. I just make three of these nozzles for test fly only. But you can get similar products from JetCat.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:14 AM
EDDIEGIGOWATTS

WOW Likai I cant believe you had two rhinos on the TYPHOON sorry for you're loss ,,,I built one with a single rhino with tams TVN plenty of thrust,, all i had to do was put two 4800 mah lithium ion on the nose
don't understand why didn't you assign all the functions to the 14mz instead of using all the extra electronics ,, all you had to do was select,, two ailerons functions ,,two ailerons2,, rudder rudder2 ,,,and then run one aileron with gyro to one nozzle and same as aileron2 s same as rudder, one switch and a variable for the gyros sensitivities ,,then do a flight condition on another switch so you can go from full out vectored thrust to normal flying ,you can also run separate dual rates on the nozzle's, when in hover I put the nozzles on low rate keep the angle as minimal as possible because i don't use gyro's ,14mzs can also do gear doors sequencing for you, VSTOLS best friend
i been building thrust vector jets for over 7 years from edf,s turbines,, contra rotating pushers ,,from my experience to much roll has no benefits ;;so i no longer use it ,,deltas naturally go in to a alpha when stalled ,,,I would try to avoid to much roll .I notice on you're pipe demo video it look like you had 60 degrees of split the most you should have is 6 degrees max ,only benefits slight roll in hover or slow vertical roll in zero wind conditions,,if you build another one check the thrust and you will be shocked how much you loose ,,to much split can reduce thrust as much 60 percent,, also makes the planes handle erratic ,, i think this is what happened to you ,, you can hear pitch changes every time the nozzles deflect ,,
been following you're build on the harrier AWESOME WORK
just trying to help

EDDIE
Old 10-29-2007, 04:28 AM
i3dm

Eddie, i sent you a PM please have a look.
thanks.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:01 AM
Likai

ORIGINAL: EDDIEGIGOWATTS

WOW Likai I cant believe you had two rhinos on the TYPHOON sorry for you're loss ,,,I built one with a single rhino with tams TVN plenty of thrust,, all i had to do was put two 4800 mah lithium ion on the nose
don't understand why didn't you assign all the functions to the 14mz instead of using all the extra electronics ,, all you had to do was select,, two ailerons functions ,,two ailerons2,, rudder rudder2 ,,,and then run one aileron with gyro to one nozzle and same as aileron2 s same as rudder, one switch and a variable for the gyros sensitivities ,,then do a flight condition on another switch so you can go from full out vectored thrust to normal flying ,you can also run separate dual rates on the nozzle's, when in hover I put the nozzles on low rate keep the angle as minimal as possible because i don't use gyro's ,14mzs can also do gear doors sequencing for you, VSTOLS best friend
i been building thrust vector jets for over 7 years from edf,s turbines,, contra rotating pushers ,,from my experience to much roll has no benefits ;;so i no longer use it ,,deltas naturally go in to a alpha when stalled ,,,I would try to avoid to much roll .I notice on you're pipe demo video it look like you had 60 degrees of split the most you should have is 6 degrees max ,only benefits slight roll in hover or slow vertical roll in zero wind conditions,,if you build another one check the thrust and you will be shocked how much you loose ,,to much split can reduce thrust as much 60 percent,, also makes the planes handle erratic ,, i think this is what happened to you ,, you can hear pitch changes every time the nozzles deflect ,,
been following you're build on the harrier AWESOME WORK
just trying to help

EDDIE
Hello Eddie
Thanks for your suggestion, when Anton completes Su-35 prototype I'll try it again. Now I can focus on Harrier.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:42 AM
icepilot

Hi Likai!

I saw your comment on Anton's SU35 - any idea when that will be in production?? I'm looking for a SU27 or SU35 because I think
they are two of the most advanced jets around!

Tor
Old 10-31-2007, 01:31 PM
John Casey
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Just kidding in fun.......... You abused that poor aircraft you madman!!!....

great video... now you have to build something to surpass that....

I'm in on a cheap Su-27 or 35......sign me up Anton/ Tam/ etc..etc...
Old 11-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Heatseeker_Hill

hmm just as i always suspected. a tree branch does not extinguise fire as well as a fire extinguiser
Old 04-04-2008, 02:36 PM
luckyy
My Feedback: (2)

likai can I get more info on your gyro setup? I know this is an old post. Thankyou
Old 04-04-2008, 02:50 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, how come it took so long to get the extinguisher out there? what the hell was homeboy swinging at your jet? Is that the new manual-fire-putter-outer thingie mabob??

Really though, sorry you lost it, it was awesome. And good pilting to boot.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:25 AM
Likai

Hello Luckyy
I use three Futaba GY-401 gyros to keep this bird flyable, because I move the CG position about 80mm backward compared to standard CG. The reason that I use heli gyro is heli gyro seems be more sensitive than airplane gyro in the highest heading-lock gain setting. In normal fly, it is not necessary to use high gain. But in hovering fly, I set the gain to maximun and the plane almost hovering automatically, the only thing I need to do is adjusting throttle.These pictures are my wiring and setting of gyros, hope they are helpful for you.

Name:	Qo39338.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	922074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86179.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	922075  
Old 04-05-2008, 08:35 AM
i3dm

Likai, thats one crazy electrical setup !!

did each gyro run on all 3 servos ?

Also, can you explain the V tail mixer ? and did you have 2 elevon servos on each wing ?
Old 04-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Likai

Yes, I use two elevon servos on each side. In functional side, two GY-401+V-tail-mixer is same as GYA-352 for delta wing type plane(there is built in V-tail-mixer function in GYA-352) but I find the max gain value of GYA-352 is not high enough for hovering purpose, so I switch to use such complex electronic setup, the other benefit is that I can use the signal of pitch-gyro to control canard surface. So, you can't say each gyro controls three servos, the exact answer is two combined gyros control seven servo together (including canard servo). Thanks to the using of PowerBox, the only job of these gyros and V-mixer are only output signal and we don't need to worry about burn them off by high current.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:53 PM
i3dm

Which type of V-tail mixer did you use ?

Did you fly with VT working the whole flight ?

Also, since im building mine with 2 axis VT only (pitch and yaw) do you think istill need to use gyros ? maybe at least on the pitch since ill be moving the CG back as well ? please advise what you think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.