Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Possible big fuel problem

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Possible big fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Possible big fuel problem

Need some advice.....

I bought 10 gallons of fuel from an airport today. Just got it pumped into my blue kerosene tanks.

Now I told them I wanted Jet A1 but I've a bad feeling the dopey fueller guy went off and filled the tanks with AVGAS.
I've put some into clear tanks after mixing some BP turbine oil in and it's blue. Don't think that's right!
I've only used kerosene before so I don't know what Jet A smells like.
What would happen if I ran this stuff? (only asking for curiosity's sake, I'll just take it back if I'm not 100% that it's correct)
Old 10-31-2007, 07:11 PM
WHMC
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Possible big fuel problem

Blue is 100LL
Old 10-31-2007, 07:32 PM
limeybob
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI

More recently, an additional grade was introduced to allow one fuel to be used in engines originally designed for grades with lower lead contents: this grade is called Avgas 100LL, the LL standing for 'low lead'.

All equipment and facilities handling avgas are color coded and display prominently the API markings denoting the actual grade carried. Currently the two major grades in use internationally are Avgas 100LL and Avgas 100. To ease identification the fuels are dyed; for example Avgas 100LL is colored blue, while Avgas 100 is colored green.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:38 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Many full scale turbine engines are certified to run a 50/50 blend of avgas and Jet A, but for our purposes, I would dump what you got and get the right stuff.

What a bummer........
Old 10-31-2007, 07:39 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Here is how you tell the difference. Pour some on your hand and "wash" them with it. In about 10 seconds the gas will evaporate and leave your hands dry and white looking and won't smell like much...that's if it's AVgas. If it's Jet-A, your hands will be oily and stink to high heaven an hour after you pour it.

Beave

(I used to be a line boy at an FBO 30 years ago)

Old 10-31-2007, 08:12 PM
check6ii
My Feedback: (12)

Dump it and get jet fuel. Not worth it man......
Old 10-31-2007, 08:25 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

As a former line boy myself, I agree w/ the "wash" method. While car gas stinks for days and Jet A stinks for weeks 100LL is not bad to start with, evaporares quicky, and will leave your skin "dry" feeling with very little odor when it's gone.

That aside, if you look at some in a clear container and see a BLUE tint, it is absolutely positively without a doubt 100LL.

Take it back to where you got it, talk to THE manager. It's beyond an inconvenience. It's a possibly DEADLY scenario if he has someone working for him who can't distinguish between Jet fuel and Avgas. You could be saving a life. Or several.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:29 PM
B58
My Feedback: (43)

Ain't that the truth. If you refueled with avgas in your jet at the airport, no big deal. If you put jet fuel in your recip you are going to have a big problem. Ask Bob Hoover! Bob
Old 10-31-2007, 09:05 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: B58

Ain't that the truth. If you refueled with avgas in your jet at the airport, no big deal. If you put jet fuel in your recip you are going to have a big problem. Ask Bob Hoover! Bob
Yeah verily - I was there (Air/Space America '88 here in SD)! Bob is one skilled - and lucky - dude to have survived that incident. He is credited for promoting the "Hoover Nozzle" and "Hoover Ring" (as used on Jet-A fueling rigs and fuel tanks) to prevent a similar accident from occuring again as a result.

Barry
Old 10-31-2007, 09:51 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

On several occasions here at a small local airport I gave them my can and asked for Jet-A, and they have come back with Avgas. Seems to be a persistant problem.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:07 AM
jedijingle
My Feedback: (45)

Long story short, i thought I had deoderized kero pumped into my container. Didnt note the color at the time, then mixed my aeroshell 500 in it and it was now a blue / purple color. Smelled pretty good too. Ran it in a friends turbine and once it ramped up on the fuel the tail cone got cherry red, squealed and then it siezed up. Stoped dead, and would not cool down until the metals contracted enough that it was no longer stuck.

Dump the fuel and start over. a costly screw up
Old 11-01-2007, 02:44 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Birdy

I'm sure they saw you coming....send the missus next time she will get what you want.

Dave
Old 11-01-2007, 02:56 AM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't pour 100LL on your hand. even though the LL stands for low lead, it in fact has a hell of a lot of lead in it to increase the octane rating.

If you pour a small amount of 100LL onto the edge of the asphalt at the airport, it will evaporate within a few minutes, while Jet A will stay there for days on end.

As others have said, probably just as easy to pitch it and start over. Watch the fueler next time and make sure he's got the right truck [:@]
Old 11-01-2007, 03:38 AM
Dave Wilshere

Birdy

Just found a container half full of good old Homebase Paracene...left by some guy going to the states

Dw
Old 11-01-2007, 05:45 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Can you use it in your mower or line trimmer? Do you run unleaded in cars in the U.K. with cats? If no cat you could run it in the car. Disposing of it will be a problem if you have a concience. - John.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:06 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

At the airport where I fly they only have 100LL and Jet A1 available, so they run 100LL in there John Deer lawn tractor, my suggestion would be to use it up in your lawn mower
Old 11-01-2007, 07:10 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shok

On several occasions here at a small local airport I gave them my can and asked for Jet-A, and they have come back with Avgas. Seems to be a persistant problem.
I have heard from two local FBO's around here that they have a lot of requests for 100LL from guys who run it in their racing go-karts. If they are used to doing that, they might not have really heard you say Jet-A. Maybe next time tell the guy "its Jet-A for a model jet TURBINE." BTW, I used to run Jet-A, now I run K-1 and get it myself from the pump at the local Sheetz gas station. It smells better and runs about a buck cheaper a gallon too...

Bob
Old 11-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

In my experience, Jet-A and K-1 kerosene smell almost exactly the same.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:13 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

JetA smells like kero and AVgas smells like gasoline...

V..
Old 11-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Andrew Bird

Well took it back today and they not only replaced the fuel but I also scored a couple of new containers for it! Yup, Jet A doesn't smell good when the fuelling guy manages to not get all of it in the container (hope I managed to get it all clean before the cans went in the car)! I also got a couple of $$ refund. The fueller said he sometimes gets guys looking for 100LL so even though I told him Jet A he just went off on autopilot.

Dave - sounds like you haven't burnt all my kerosene yet, must be all the crappy weather you get back in the UK. Don't worry, one day you'll get to fly.........!
Old 11-01-2007, 12:48 PM
Dave Wilshere

Birdy

Flying in the Sun on Sunday...new Graupner Mirage to test (a real hot rod!)
Also a nice Seb Art Angel S and other toys...we miss you!

Dw
Old 11-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Andrew Bird

I miss me too, Dave! I've not actually flown since I got here - it's been around 3 weeks! Anyway Claire just had a massive arguement with her boss, before she's even started her job, so we could be coming home anytime! I could try and time it so we get in after your old man has left the country. I'd feel safer that way. Has he bizarrely injured anymore of your customers recently??

Forgot to mention earlier but thanks for all the responses, it helped me make the decision to take it straight back and not mess around!
Old 11-01-2007, 02:10 PM
steverobertsuk

Birdy

Not customers, just staff!

Steve
Old 01-03-2008, 02:46 PM
ashworthb

Anyone know wheri I can purchase Jet A1 fuel? Or can I just buy kerosene at the local hardware store?
Old 01-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Let's see.....Napa Ca. isn't too far from the Nut Tree Airport, as it was called when I was stationed at Travis AFB in the early sixties. Ask your local FBO to sell you some Jet-A. Tell him, or better yet, show him the jet. He will probably be enthusiastic about it, and less likely to blow you off. I have read (on RCU) of some FBO's that have refused to sell Jet-A to modelers. Some have stated legal problems, but I feel that they prefer to pump a hundred gqallons or more into an airplane.

Jet-A1 contains Prist, an anti-icing addative that is not necessary for our model turbines. Jet-A1 is good for about -47 degrees F....Jet-A, without the anti-icing ingredient Prist, is good for about -40 degrees F. They both have the same flash point of 100.4 F. I've never seen it that cold in the Napa Valley.

You can use K-1 kerosene from the hardware store too. K-1 is deodorized, and doesn't have the same offensive odor of Jet fuel, and will perform the same in our engines.

Jet-A is about $4.00 a gallon, and have seen K-1 from at Home Depot as high as $15.00 per gallon. I save the $11.00 per gallon by using Jet-A, as I usually buy about 35 gallons at a time.

Hope this helps...

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.