Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

lightning struts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

lightning struts

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 11:29 AM
vetagator
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lightning struts

I maidened my lightning this past Saturday. It flew very well. Take off was uneventful, 6 clicks up, 3 clicks left and it was right on track. However, per the manual I had mixed in down elevator with landing flaps and this caused the plane to dive. The landing was uneventful, just kept some power and up elevator on final. I mixed in up elevator with the landing flaps for the next flight and it was perfect. On the second landing though, I bent the axle slightly causing the tire to rub on the strut. It was not a hard landing either. These are the first generation struts and axles. I heard there have been some issues
Is any one using the trailing link struts, if so, I would like to see some pics of any modifications. Alex.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:47 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: lightning struts

Change the retracts to Robart 635's and Robart "Eurofighter" struts.

You'll never have problems with their garbage gear again.

Sorry I can't help on fixing their existing stuff. First time we had an issue after we had heard others were having problems, we just ripped it all out and engineered a better solution.

One of our down here is P200 powered and carrying extra fuel, and no issues with the Robart stuff.

Good Luck,
Old 11-12-2007, 10:56 PM
luckyy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traling link landing gear is the way to go if your flying off grass. I cant find them . I would purchase a second lightning if I new where to get them.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:31 AM
Joe McBride
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Change the retracts to Robart 635's and Robart "Eurofighter" struts.

You'll never have problems with their garbage gear again.

Sorry I can't help on fixing their existing stuff. First time we had an issue after we had heard others were having problems, we just ripped it all out and engineered a better solution.

One of our down here is P200 powered and carrying extra fuel, and no issues with the Robart stuff.

Good Luck,
What wheels and brakes are you running with those Sean?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 11-13-2007, 02:21 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Guys, come on!
There is nothing garbage about the stock gear.
Alex the early sets were supplied with soft pins-contact any Composite ARF rep in the US and he should be able to help.
The kit should have had two sets of axle pins-one are harder than the others.
We have hundreds of flights on the stock gear without any problems-I have flown my Lightning from grass several times without problems.

Dave Wilshere
Old 11-13-2007, 09:25 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe, we went ahead with the stock Intairco stuff.

They are heavy, so one day we decided to mill out a nice circle pattern in the hub to lighten them up.

To our surprise on the first hole, when the end mill started going in, the hub is hollow! [X(] All the weight is in the tire.

We went ahead for aesthetics and continued the hole patterns.

Dave, I respectfully disagree, the reason there is such curiousity in other gear configurations is that the behotec gear is crap. Just try to toe in the wheels. Because there is no scissor in the strut, there is more than a 1/4" play in the tires in relation to the strut. On the retracts, the aluminum for the air cylinder is so thin, that when they thread it, the air cylinder snaps at the thread.

I SENT A RETRACT TO RAY LABONTE FOR A REPLACEMENT BECAUSE OF THIS PREMATURE FAILURE, AND MORE THAN A MONTH LATER, RAY LABONTE HAS NOT CALLED ME BACK, OR SENT A REPLACEMENT.
AND THAT JUST CHAPS MY ASS.

As far as I'm concerned, he can keep the damn thing cause it's a piece of shyte anyway, and I would not wish it on any of my jet buds.

When you are putting 10 flights on a lightning in a day, you need much beefier gear than the behotec crap.

MY HUMBLE OPINION, BUT FEEL FREE TO TELL ME WHERE I'M WRONG. [>:]
Old 11-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Sean

Obviously we don't have your perfect flying conditions that allow 10 flights per day...but we have had more than 100 flights on two Lightnings with stock Behotec gear..I have no complaints.
The units on both my Lightning and Flash have been faultless...can't ask for more than that.
The early tyres are hard and heavy, later rubber is softer (quieter too) and probably lighter.

Everyone to their own...I think Merc's cars are cr*P!

regards

Dave