Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster F14 Tomcat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster F14 Tomcat

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 05:55 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster F14 Tomcat

my sugestions is :

not heavy..simple ..scale and twin turbine!!

....BUT with optional conversion kit for single turbine on the tail???...not in the midle...it will get fat[:'(]

what you think?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68626.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1461864  
Old 07-02-2010, 07:41 AM
bskyinc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fully Scaled with all the options.. With the wings unswept it will still take off and land at a reasonable speed
Old 07-02-2010, 08:03 AM
invertmast

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

IMO if someone wanted a bare necessities F-14 because of price issues, they would get a foamie..
Old 07-02-2010, 09:21 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: PDR200

My preference would be for the light weight version. My reasons are what's the point of having a model that look fantastic with all the detail and whistles and bells but is a nightmare to fly?? []
It also gives the customers more choice with engine options.

That’s my 0.02c worth

Cheers,
Paul

I'm sure once they are finished testing, it will be a great flyer. Maybe they should offer it two ways. One version with movable swept wings and another with the ability to lock the wings in the open position without the mechanism at all. It seems to me that that would be a viable option people could choose. Perhaps make it so that if someone decides to put it in they can buy it and install it in the field. Doesn't the whole FEJ swing mech come out for access to the gear?
Old 07-02-2010, 09:48 AM
MNModels

Andy,

I do not think its about the swing wing - Likai idea is excellent and does not matter what version - it will have a swing wing. After all it is a F14 and not a f15.....

With the wide off set between turbines it will be impossible to control a twin f14 if 1 engine die. You will need to cut other engine and hope you were very high and at the right position regarding runway and wind... So a twin will have to have some control surfaces on the wing. Spoilers,slats,flaps....

A single turbine version will only require elevons and simple setup. It will still have the scale looks with less weight and complexity.

So i guess its between an excellent looking 16ch static model that require nerves of steel... or an excellent flying model that requires a bit of modelling to make it look like a 16ch static model...

my 2c

Morne
Old 07-02-2010, 10:03 AM
PDR200

ORIGINAL: MNModels

Andy,

I do not think its about the swing wing - Likai idea is excellent and does not matter what version - it will have a swing wing. After all it is a F14 and not a f15.....

With the wide off set between turbines it will be impossible to control a twin f14 if 1 engine die. You will need to cut other engine and hope you were very high and at the right position regarding runway and wind... So a twin will have to have some control surfaces on the wing. Spoilers,slats,flaps....

A single turbine version will only require elevons and simple setup. It will still have the scale looks with less weight and complexity.

So i guess its between an excellent looking 16ch static model that require nerves of steel... or an excellent flying model that requires a bit of modelling to make it look like a 16ch static model..
my 2c

Morne

I have to agree with this statement!!
Keep it relatively simple, light and SM will be on a winner All models that have a relatively low wing loading fly well ie: the viper jet
I really hope they build it as a single engine version and as light as possible. IMHO SM will sell lots more of this version.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 07-02-2010, 10:13 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you explain that in a bit more detail? Why can't a twin have a simple setup with just elevons?

What size engine would be anticipated for the single engine version? With the price of engines such as the Kingtech being so reasonable, it might be that a twin setup would work out cheaper.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:45 AM
SeaLance
My Feedback: (11)

Decked Out! Otherwise forget it, not worth my time nor money! If you can't handle it scale then don't order, buy it, or fly it.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:57 PM
MNModels

Siclick33,

When i started out in jets - byron df or dynamax or ramtec in my budget. I have a yellow twin f18 hornet with 2 os91 setup. Maybe a museum piece some might say...but it was my first huge scale jet with excellent flying characteristics. The key was to keep it as light as possible. a Pound more and it would not rotate. Once it flies - no problem. And landing a breeze.

Now if i opted way back then to add all the bells and whistles of a full scale f18 - sucess would be failure for shure. I still believe in the same basic principle. Wing Loading!

Today with more powerfull powerplants the sky is the limit. But putting everthing into a "relatively small" airframe will do flying no good.

Now if the F14 were 3.5m with fully kevlar, carbon , airex with magnesium landing gear.... Now that will be a jet you can do all the bells and whistles.

For SM to produce a safe and well flying jet with not breaking the bank - there have to be some sacrifices i guess.

The question is what must be sacrifice? Twin will have 2 x 8kg turbines and single will have 1 x 16kg turbine. But with all extras this could go to 2 x 10kg turbines and 1 x 20kg turbine. All in all a space problem and wing loading problem. So the biggest question is : single or twin?

This is only my ideas and i am sure Anton think the same way - after all we want to sell more than 10 and have customers flying our products instead of very exspensive hangar queens!

Knowing Anton and the look of the F80 and the latest jets from Skymaster, the F14 will be scale. I mean the f14 is the mother of all jets and a water down f14 will just not do it for me...

Rergards

Morne
Old 07-02-2010, 03:39 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

What is that on the other side of the runway the Stonehenge?
Old 07-02-2010, 05:32 PM
jetspud

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the single turbine version that you talk about going to be in the center with a bifercated pipe??? I think that would be awsome. I dont like the center mounted pipe that splits the two outlets....

David
Old 07-02-2010, 08:53 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: jetspud

Is the single turbine version that you talk about going to be in the center with a bifercated pipe??? I think that would be awsome. I dont like the center mounted pipe that splits the two outlets....

David
Thats not really possible with the way the F-14 outline is. The center portion of the fuselage is only about 3 1/2 to 4" thick at its thickest point and tapers down to 1/2" between the exhaust nozzles..

honestly, The Mibo A-10 has proven that twin turbine installations are perfectly able to fly with one engine flamed out. The f-14 nacalles aren't much further apart than the A-10's and the rudders and close to the same size (F-14 being smaller). Installation weights aren't much different between a twin and large single install, fuel loads are negligibly different (50-75oz difference max).

there is no reason why Skymaster can't do "all the bells and whistles" and keeping it at a reasonable and good flying weight. But if they want to keep it simple to increase the sales, more power to them and the best of luck.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:28 PM
bskyinc

MY SENTIMENTS EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:36 PM
bskyinc

Thomas, for this discussion to even exist convinces me that you are on the right track for me..
Old 07-03-2010, 05:52 AM
socshooter
My Feedback: (45)

I second that motion
Old 07-03-2010, 07:40 AM
lavi rider
My Feedback: (6)

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The stances between the engines on the F-14 and the Mig-29 are quite identical . The CARF Mig-29 flies perfectly well on one engine and uses only elevons for controll . The Cat shouldn't have any problem flying like that.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:56 AM
AndyAndrews

When this is ready it may be my first twin. I hope they get the wings right..
Old 07-03-2010, 10:06 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: bskyinc

Thomas, for this discussion to even exist convinces me that you are on the right track for me..
thanks man! F-14 is by far my favorite jet of all time, so i look at all the ones coming out with a very keen eye.. I am really interested in seeing how skymaster does the central wing box structure as that will tell alot in how long their airframe will last.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:10 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My twin Jet-Mart F-14 was only elevons and VERY HEAVILY wing loaded and flew very good with that set-up!! However, I can't speak of its "one engine" flying capability because I never I had to it; thank God!
Old 07-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

I too see absolutely no reason why it should not fly just fine on one engine. Eddie Weeks' huge DC-10 flew so well on one turbine that he was uncertain what happened the first few times he had a flameout. The thing would gently roll into the dead engine so he would land when possible. No big deal and look how far apart those engines are!
Old 07-04-2010, 06:23 AM
Jeffpro
My Feedback: (1)

Hello fellow f14 fans,

Think i must give Santa a call....

The proto type with 2 k80 was 17kg's.

We like to know how complex you want SM to produce f14?

We can produce a all day all weather f14 with single turbine and elevons only far below 20kg. Will be great model....but will it sattisfy those crazy f14 fans like myself...

Or we can produce a twin turbine with all the options that will probably be more than 20kg total weight....

Please feel free to discuss here your ideas.

Unfortunately both versions will be too costly to produce.

Regards

Morne
Twin turbine! Otherwise I'm not nearly as interested.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:39 PM
pilot tw

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: PDR200

Andy,

So i guess its between an excellent looking 16ch static model that require nerves of steel... or an excellent flying model that requires a bit of modelling to make it look like a 16ch static model..
my 2c

Morne

I have to agree with this statement!!
Keep it relatively simple, light and SM will be on a winner All models that have a relatively low wing loading fly well ie: the viper jet
I really hope they build it as a single engine version and as light as possible. IMHO SM will sell lots more of this version.

Cheers,
Paul

Hi, all

Yes.IMO,with 2XP-80 installed to F-14,the dry weight should be under 20kg. (without slat,flaps,and speedbrake.Only use the elevons).Elevons will make it very easy to fly. Otherwise,customers also can select the optional functional parts for F-14 (with the 2 x P-120).

Best regards

Anton

Old 07-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Rush!

Would the SM version have slats, flaps and speedbrakes?   I have noticed with the F14 that landing it is a bear w/o changing the wing configuration to allow for increased lift.  

Also, how does she behave when the wings are swept back?  The pressure point changes and i have noticed that she will nose down due to that and you need to run separate trims for wings open and wings closed positions? 

Great pics!  would love to see it in jolly rodger colors!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:05 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: Rush!

Would the SM version have slats, flaps and speedbrakes? I have noticed with the F14 that landing it is a bear w/o changing the wing configuration to allow for increased lift.

Also, how does she behave when the wings are swept back? The pressure point changes and i have noticed that she will nose down due to that and you need to run separate trims for wings open and wings closed positions?

Great pics! would love to see it in jolly rodger colors!

uggh... do people not realize there was more than ONE F-14 squadron?
Old 07-06-2010, 10:03 PM
pilot tw

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi, all

Thank you for your suggestion. We’ll release twin turbines with elevons version(under 20kg). Salts,flaps and speed brake will be optional parts and you can select them as you like.

I am sure Dr. Likai now strating make the wing wings machine with best design and the best scale landing gear for Skymaster F-14.

pls wait a few month that we will release the ultimate of F-14 as soon,,

Best Regards

Anton

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.