Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine Jets and slow flight

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine Jets and slow flight

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:53 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Turbine Jets and slow flight

Ok guys, Im think Im loseing it but I need some advice.

I just took a quick lunch to the flying feild with my buddys and got a very nice flight in on my Carf Eurosport with K140. This is the new Eurosport, when I got this really big jet last year it seemed soo fast and fun to fly, but today it felt just big and very slow.. I found my self flying almost at full power the whole flight.

My flying buddie are telling me my issues is I have to many planes and never spend the time needed to completly feel one out before moveing on, (on the weekends typicly have at least 3 planes My Carf Rookie 2 with P120 and Carf Eursport, and one or 2 of my war bids - TopFlite gaint P51 or Gaint B25)

I think its becouse of the massive size of the Eursport it just feels so slow, we had it GPS at 182mph but that was out of a dive.

I only birng this question up becouse Im hopeing this monday to maden my 1/9 F15 with P120 and I was told F15 also fly very slow even with full power.

So am I the only one who feels this way?

I know its crazy but I tried flying some today at 1/2 power and while it stayed in the air, level flight thats all it could do, no manvers... no fun....

So am I missing something?

Thanks mike
Old 10-24-2014, 10:01 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes you get used to the speed very quickly. The F-15 might be a bit faster but none of them are going to go like a really fast jet, just my opinion. To me fast is >250mph

If you like "fast" you don't really have the ideal planes for it. Get a Bobcat, Flash, Bandit etc.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:03 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Eurofighter can be boring just flying around (it's not fast). try high rates on the canards and elevons after take off and turn it into a 3D monster lol.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:09 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Yes you get used to the speed very quickly. The F-15 might be a bit faster but none of them are going to go like a really fast jet, just my opinion. To me fast is >250mph

If you like "fast" you don't really have the ideal planes for it. Get a Bobcat, Flash, Bandit etc.
Ya I think you may be right, one of my boys has a sweet flash with a 32 pounder and it flys very nice.

I dont know now I was thinking of picking up a Zoril Fiberglass fues for the Panther to put a P80 in, while being a kit built I was not exspecting fast, but i dont want boring, thats why I like the rookie so much.

What motors are you guys running in your Eursports? Is there any noticable preformace diffrince vs the $$$ spent for the larger motor?

Thanks Mike
Old 10-24-2014, 10:40 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The larger the airframe the more dececptive the speed is. The smaller jets and scale warbirds require more speed due to wing loading and the larger ones depending on the model appears slower until you get close to it.

That is why you look up at a Airbuss 380 or Jumbo 747 and they look like they are going fall out of the sky.

Jeff
Old 10-24-2014, 10:43 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I had a 28lb Ram1000 in my last euro. It wasnt a screamed nor unlimited vertical monster, but it was powerful enough to the point where i had learned the airplane well enough to find its manueverability limit.
Delta's are great fun for dragging around at High Angles of attack and "groovy manuevers" (rolls, loops, etc) but them being a Delta really hinders the aerobatics you can do with them.
I ended up trading it for an original Composite Bandit and havent been happier! I loved the euro, but it just wasnt capable of everything i wanted to do.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:48 AM
robersteam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get an ultra flash,and then tell me.....
Old 10-24-2014, 10:52 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

With the big intakes, the Eurosport and F15 are going to be in the 150-170 MPH range. With its larger size, the Euro, as noted above, isn't going to look like its going very fast. The F15 is smaller, so it will look at bit faster, but it still isn't going to be a barn-burner.

Like Matt said, if you want something that is, and looks faster, you need a Bandit, Flash, etc. with a big block engine - but remember, we do have the 200 MPH limit and you're not going to endear yourself to a CD at an event if you go blasting through the pattern with a big-block sports jet at 200MPH+

I think you will find that a Panther also is not going to be a speed daemon. It has fairly large intakes and the wing airfoil is quite thick - which will limit the top-end speed.

Another point is that power isn't all about speed. A P80-powered F15 and a P120-powered F15 like you have will both travel about the same speed in level flight, but the P120-powered one will have *much* more punch in the verticals and be a lot more fun to fly.

Its all about what you want to do and what kind of flying you like...

Bob
Old 10-24-2014, 10:56 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I did eurofighter with p 120 p 160 p 180 super eagle p 140 and never experienced more speed just a lot more vertical with the big black p 180 I think the most universal turbine for this jet it's p 160 it's just to draggy if you like speed and scale the skymaster gripen ore rafale will give you speed specially the gripen.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

So am I missing something?
Sounds like you have the need ...........

Nothing to worry about!

John.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cruise.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	2041941  
Old 10-24-2014, 03:04 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

systemic desensitization

Try a flash.. oh wait.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:43 PM
BobbyMcGee

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
Ok guys, Im think Im loseing it but I need some advice.

I just took a quick lunch to the flying feild with my buddys and got a very nice flight in on my Carf Eurosport with K140. This is the new Eurosport, when I got this really big jet last year it seemed soo fast and fun to fly, but today it felt just big and very slow.. I found my self flying almost at full power the whole flight.

My flying buddie are telling me my issues is I have to many planes and never spend the time needed to completly feel one out before moveing on, (on the weekends typicly have at least 3 planes My Carf Rookie 2 with P120 and Carf Eursport, and one or 2 of my war bids - TopFlite gaint P51 or Gaint B25...

So am I the only one who feels this way?
You are not alone. I have the exact same experience with women. I never get to know one before moving onto the next. But I've never gone through three women on a weekend. Best I've ever done was just two. But I'm OK with that.

The important thing is to keep their names straight. When in doubt, just call her, "Honey."
Old 10-25-2014, 07:23 AM
lightningmcnulty
My Feedback: (11)

I think its been said here in a few ways but if you want a really fast jet you should buy a really fast jet, trying to power up a slow jet usually lands you with a poor flying still kind of slow jet!

you won't get used to a 140 powered ultra flash in a hurry and if you do the airframe can handle a 180 with ease

also the f15 will be slow, they all are, really slow