Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fuel systems for twin turbines

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fuel systems for twin turbines

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:14 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel systems for twin turbines

I am working with a buddy on a twin P60 sized scale-ish design (post details when done). We want to use a single large tank (160 or so ounces )...I'm looking for feedback on the best way to set up the fuel pickups and UAT's. Here are my thoughts -

1. Two separate fuel lines/klunks going to two separate UAT's...problem might be tangling during hard manuevering.

2. One large pickup (XL Tygon) with an external "T" going to two UATs.

3. One pickup, one UAT going to a "T" to the fuel pumps.

Comments welcome...

Barry
Old 12-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Fuel systems for twin turbines

When I did my ME-262 I decided on two completely separate fuel systems. Each engine Had two equal size main tanks (front and rear) and it's own header tank (homemade UAT).

I didn't want to do multiple clunks in one tank because , as you said, they are likely to tangle or interfere with each other.
I didn't want to feed both engines off of the same fuel feed because I didn't think it would be a good idea to have the suction of one fuel pump being read by the other. I envisioned the ECU's constantly adjusting the pump drive voltage if one engine spooled up slight different than the other one. (This may not happen at all, but I didn't want to chance it).
I also considered separate fuel systems with a cross-feed between the tanks, but decided against that too.

In the end I decided to go with the same principle that I used when I flew twin prop models.
That is to treat each engine as it's own entity. Unless one of the shuts down, then it's best to go ahead and kill the other one too.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:20 PM
dbarrym

ORIGINAL: Kevin_W

I didn't want to do multiple clunks in one tank because , as you said, they are likely to tangle or interfere with each other.
I didn't want to feed both engines off of the same fuel feed because I didn't think it would be a good idea to have the suction of one fuel pump being read by the other. I envisioned the ECU's constantly adjusting the pump drive voltage if one engine spooled up slight different than the other one. (This may not happen at all, but I didn't want to chance it).
I also considered separate fuel systems with a cross-feed between the tanks, but decided against that too.
Thanks Kevin - normally I would try to use separate systems. We'd really like to use a single tank if we can for space and ease of construction purposes. I had thought about the two pumps working against/with each other on a common feed line, and that is what led me to the single tank/dual UAT option - each fuel pump would be "buffered" by having a dedicated UAT, I'd think.

Barry
Old 12-18-2007, 04:37 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

back to work slacker!!!

Old 12-18-2007, 04:43 PM
dbarrym

Yeah.... look who's talkin' be-atch!

I'm in the middle of my 3rd long con-call (2 hrs plus per) today and needed a break! Gotta love web-ex, no one else on the conference knows what else I'm doing! (no jokes please - I'm a two hand typer).

Barry
Old 12-18-2007, 05:19 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

so you're amphibious?

me too!! especially after I get my drink on!!
Old 12-18-2007, 06:09 PM
dbarrym

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

so you're amphibious?

me too!! especially after I get my drink on!!
Once you go green, baby, you'll never go back....

MMMM...pudding! My favorite! [:-]

You are one sick bastahd.

B.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:26 PM
KC36330

I'd use a single pickup with the large diameter brass tubing/tygon tubing/clunk from the main tank to two UATs via a large T, with P60s i think you won't have any problems at all with that setup. if they are long runs from the main tank to the UATs I'd recommend the T be as close to the main tank as possible for the least resistance to fuel draw.