Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

dcu f-14

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

dcu f-14

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 04:26 PM
bigfrank330
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dcu f-14

hi
i am brand new to this forum and i hope someone can help
i have a brand new dcu f-14 that is probably 10 years old
when i bought it i didnot get the windsweep mechanism
does anyone have one for sale?
does anyone have specs on it so that i can build one ?
can anyone help.

i have built several of these if anyone has any questions for me about them
i only build i have never flown anything more than a trainer
Old 12-28-2007, 04:30 PM
DCM
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: dcu f-14

ORIGINAL: bigfrank330

hi
can anyone help.

Jetmart USA bought the molds for kitting , He should have the stuff you need.

David Hudson
Old 01-21-2008, 01:25 PM
THEREALMATRIX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bigfrank330

hi
can anyone help.

Hi Frank,
This will fit the DCU kit. It uses a standard sail servo to power a worm gear. I will need more info on the DCU wing. This actuator will come with a removable aluminum blade that can be bonded to a foam wing or screwed into a built up wing.

http://home.earthlink.net/~matrixmt/id7.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39109.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	857023  
Old 01-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Rider-60
My Feedback: (17)

If there is a source for the Yellow Aircraft F-14 parts I'm interested too...
Old 02-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Tomcat_104
My Feedback: (42)

You can get the gear from Matrix Machine Corp as well. I have an extra wing box for the Avonds F-14, I don't know if it's compatable or not. With a little ingenuity it should be. I'll try to put pictures of it all on my F-14 website; [link=http://df-jets.com]df-jets.com[/link] tonight. I also got a painted cockpit for one today (after a 3 1/2 month wait), check it out and tell me what you think.

David
Old 02-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Jetset
My Feedback: (2)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try to email Ronnie at JetMart USA, he has what you need:
[email protected]

Myles
Old 03-05-2008, 11:54 PM
ChrisPetersen
My Feedback: (3)

I am curious if anybody has given any thought to using a pair of those 400+oz torque servos from jr for the wing sweep.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Tomcat_104

I use Futaba S3802 Sailwinch servos on my JHH F-14 for the wing sweep and they are only rated at 152.7oz of torque. So I think the JR's would be fine if not a bit of overkill. I have a screwjack system on my Avond's F-14 which is powered by a Speed 600 motor and I really prefer that. As a bonus I think it would be about the same price, if not cheaper than the JR servos.

David
Old 03-06-2008, 09:49 PM
ChrisPetersen

If you dont mind me asking , Did you make your wing sweep mechanism? Or did you order one? I am building a DCU kit , But I dont have the mechanism for it and I am looking at my options.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Tomcat_104

A friend of mine made the wingsweep mechanism while he was making his. I made all of the taileron or elevon parts and the wingbox itself. I'll take some pictures for you if you would like. I looked for a DCU kit for a while but never found one that wasn't already built.

David
Old 03-06-2008, 11:30 PM
ChrisPetersen

I was pretty lucky to find the one I did. I actually bought the kit from Big Frank , the guy who started this thread. ( Hell of a good guy)
But now I am kinda stuck with the same problem he had. I have contacted Ronnie from Jetmart but unfortunately he told me he was getting out of the business. Wich although I can understand his point, I think it's a shame. He has an awesome Tomcat. I have also talked to Matrix about his prototype, wich I would like to try and make work. And I guess if all else fails, I can try the jr servos as a last resort. I don't like the idea of the servos working and draining the battery the whole time it is in flight.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:16 PM
rhallgarth

Wow. Been searching for a while for f-14 stuff. The matrix gear and wing mechanism is a great find for me but there is no answer to phone call so i sent an email.

I have spent significant time on Nimitz class carries when the tomcat was in service and have amazing photos of pilot requalification in the pacific in 30 foot seas. As a consulting engineer I had access to areas that are amazing. Unfortunately most of photos are from the late 90's before I had all my digital cameras.

Several questions for anyone.

Does JHH still sell the China version of f-14 with glass fuse???

I was on the site and they seem to only be selling a smaller version. I have the Avonds plans and can by the short kit from laser lizard.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Derrek Curtis

RhalGarth,
If your looking for a JHH f-14 fuse I can help you, I have one Im looking to sell,
Im only 15 miles from you

Derrek
[email protected]
Old 09-26-2008, 01:47 PM
THEREALMATRIX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rhallgarth,

We are just about to release another swing wing mechanism that is compatible with the Avond's plan. It will drop in as per the plans but is not exactly the same as the design on the plans. Its a jack screw type and will include a motor, screw, guide rail, actuator arms, wing box, limit switches and servo lead to plug into your receiver. Uses an aux 4.8v battery pack to operate the motor.

The worm drive design shown on our web site would also fit but it is a drop in fit to the DCU kit and more work would be required to fit it into the Avond's 1:10 plan.

P.S. Phone and emails are answered at the end of the day or else I would never get anything done.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Tomcat_104

RhalGarth,

I also have the JHH F-14 that I'm going to sell. I ordered one from Larry at JHH, waited 8 months then bough one from a guy who was being shipped to Iraq. I have 2 - F-14 short kits from Jesse at Laserlizard and I find them better for me. I had a stoke at age 44 and they are great therapy for me. What's more I'm motivated to work on them so I actually like therapy!

I also hace a real good scanner, so if you have pictures of Tomcat's that need turned into digital files, I'm your guy and you'll love my price on Tomcat's - nothing, 0, notta! Just not too many please! I've also got an extra wingbox somewhere if you need it.

Tomcat_104
(David)
Old 09-26-2008, 02:48 PM
Derrek Curtis

David,
Ill take the wing boxes off you hands

Let me know a price and your paypal account

Thanks
Derrek
Old 09-26-2008, 03:22 PM
cmjets

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Hello:

Visit this post.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/My_F...m_88513/tm.htm

Regards from Spain.

http://cmjets.blogspot.com/

http://picasaweb.google.com/cmjets2007
Old 09-28-2008, 12:13 AM
rhallgarth

ORIGINAL: Tomcat_104

RhalGarth,

I also have the JHH F-14 that I'm going to sell. I ordered one from Larry at JHH, waited 8 months then bough one from a guy who was being shipped to Iraq. I have 2 - F-14 short kits from Jesse at Laserlizard and I find them better for me. I had a stoke at age 44 and they are great therapy for me. What's more I'm motivated to work on them so I actually like therapy!

I also hace a real good scanner, so if you have pictures of Tomcat's that need turned into digital files, I'm your guy and you'll love my price on Tomcat's - nothing, 0, notta! Just not too many please! I've also got an extra wingbox somewhere if you need it.

Tomcat_104
(David)
Is the JHH kit similar enough to the Avonds kit so the wing mechanism is a drop in?? I sent JHH an email and got a response from larry Wolfe and he they are moving and would not be ready to supply the 1/10 version for several months.

If you want to sell the entire JHH kit then I am open to it. as long as it has plans, wings etc..

I have more computers, scanners, etc than I care to think about so I will scan the photos in and post them when I get some time but I really do appreciate the offer.It is what I do for a living even though I am an Astronautical Engineer originally. I've been in this business for quite a while.

Software is what got me onto the Carriers and made me a lot of friends in the airwing. We introduced the Navy to the Digital age for Fox-Corpin on the carriers and
allowed them to drop landing speeds by 15-20% for the Tomcats and Hornets. The old analog system had close toa seven second delay which meant they were never really sure what they had on the angle deck for takeoffs and most importantly landing. One of the few times you ever get to see what you do make a difference.

I was a fan of the F-14 long before that but I got to sit and talk with the exec and other tomcat pilots on the Carl Vinson and the Nimitz who flew 14's in combat and they were not happy about the Navy taking them out of service for Hornets. The Tomcat pilots wanted the Super Tomcat for a simple reason. Once the original F-14s got rid of the bad Pratt and Whitney engines for the GE engines the Tomcat was unsurpassed in any air-to-air combat. ANy pilot that had flown both told me the Tomcat would win every time against the F-18 even if the 18 pilot was better. It seems that variable geometry wing is a killer in air-to-air combat.

I've dealt with the government many times and the one thing you learn is they almost never give our men and women at risk the best tool. They give them the politically most correct tool. I'm working on TSA stuff now and they are absolutely the worst until you deal with the tech guys who are good but rarely make decisions.

Whatever F-14 I build will be EDF driven. That is the wave of the future plus I have no clue if there is even a site in New England that would let you fly turbines. Heck there is an EDF that has 28 pounds of thrust available. That is awesome.

Sorry to read about the stroke. A dear friend of mine I played lots of golf with had one at 60 with exactly the same negative results as you. There is a program at Mass General in Boston he tried to get into that was aimed at helping people with strokes like yours recover use of the affected limbs. He eventually got into it and he got a lot of use from his left arm.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:53 AM
Tomcat_104

I'm the same way, I saw my first F-14 in San Diego around 1984 and I've been hooked ever since. I'm not sure what attracted me so strongly to the Tomcat but it did. I've got many books on the Tomcat, DVD's and assorted photos but I've never had the chance to be as close to them as you did, I'm jealous! I've met many retired Tomcat pilots who agree that the move from Pratt & Whitney engines was a good one and everyone of them agrees that the F-14D was a superior aircraft to the F-18. Some of them even said the F-18 was the reason they retired.

My JHH Tomcat is complete; wings, rudders and elevators but I don't remember it having any plans but I'll look this afternoon and see. If you'll send me your email address I'll also take some pictures of it for you. I chose Schubeler fans with NeuMotors (in a 12S configuration) because they were rated over 16lbs of thrust each for a whopping 32lbs combined! I looked at turbines too and I talked to a few guys who had them and they all suggested that 1/10th scale was not big enough to carry the fuel that 2 - turbines would require. And I'm afraid 1/10th scale is the biggest thing that would fit in my truck! I chose EDF since I cannot fly and no one at my field (that I trust) has their turbine waiver and could fly the plane if I were to put turbines into it.

Did your friend who got into Mass General get a lot of improvement on his affected side? I wonder if they could help me? It's been 4 years since my stroke and I thought I would have shown more improvement by now.

Oh well, my Tomcats give me all the therapy I need and like I said my love affair with them keeps me motivated.

David
[email protected]
Old 09-28-2008, 12:31 PM
rhallgarth

He got more use out of his left arm but not enough to be fully operational. Alan was a 25 handicap player who thought he was a scratch player. I was scratch at the time and Alan was hilarious on the course telling me what I was doing wrong. It was worth the price of admission. I really miss Alan on the course even though we are still friends.

Most people do not realize that the F-14 was the plane that broke all the molds. truly fly-by-wire and the first plane with computer controlled air intake. All I can say is if the plane is supersonic and the intake air reaches the turbine intake at supersonic it would be advisable to make sure the ejection system is in working order. The intake system has a system that bleeds air out of the intake. The F-15 was designed with the same style intake Grumman used on F-14. The Pratt and Whitney engines were political and had a major problem. When landing combat aircraft go to full military thrust in case they miss wire. The Pratt and Whitney engines had an issue with this sudden move from basically idle to full military thrust. The engine would work or worse yet shut down or even worse than that disintegrate and implode. It should have been expected from Grumman since they are the same people that designed and delivered the Lunar Lander.

Is the JHH based on the Avonds plans also??? Is there an instruction packet???

Skymaster has an F-14 coming out late this year and Yellow is supposed to get the new F-14 whenever. I would overpay for an original yellow if I could find one Thought I had one a while back but never got a response and the jmajets board seems to be semi dead in England. The reason I like the Yellow is they had wing bladders that helped support the wing which made the sweep wing strong since it had support from beneath.

The Skymaster is very big. It looks like it is 1/8 or even 1/7 scale.

email is [email protected]
Old 09-29-2008, 03:54 AM
ntyhobbies

rhallgarth, I have an un built Original Yellow F-14 kit.....what would it be worth at the moment?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:20 PM
rhallgarth

ntyhobbies,

If you have the complete kit including gear, wing mechanism, etc. I will give you whatever you want within reason and pay any and all shipping and crating costs.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:24 AM
ntyhobbies

rhallgarth - PM sent.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:11 AM
ChrisPetersen

Still looking for a dcu/jetmart wingsweep mechanism. If anybody has an old one let me know
Old 09-30-2008, 08:22 AM
bigfrank330
My Feedback: (32)

hey hyrumflyer
any pics of the f-14 progress???
did you get the last bit of pics and stuff i sent you ??
please post pics i would love to see them
bigfrank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.