Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

WREN TURBINES ( Feedback)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

WREN TURBINES ( Feedback)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 04:33 PM
JetflyerJ
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WREN TURBINES ( Feedback)

Hello,

What is the biggest ( Thrust ) turbine WREN makes. Feedback would be greatly appreciated, interested in reading all experiences with WREN turbines, Good and Bad, Service, shipping, ease of use, number of hours logged, etc....

Please save the bull***** trying to tell me who's best and why, I'm only interested in reading about this particular brand wether is positive or negative and why.

Thank you!
Old 01-01-2008, 05:02 PM
erazz

Default RE: WREN TURBINES ( Feedback)

I think the biggest is the [link=http://www.wrenturbines.co.uk/product.php?pid=6]XL200[/link] with 33lbs of thrust...

All my dealings with Wren were simply excellent. Just recently I orders a part from them. For some reason it got lost in the mail. The moment I let Sara know that I didn't get it she sent me a new part free of charge. I didn't have to ask or even hint. It doesn't even matter that I don't spend that much on turbines. This is just one example but there are more.

My guess is that you'll get a lot of responses like this one. Their service is second to none. Ditto the quality of their engines.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

I have been using Wren turbines for the last 3 years...mostly Turboprop motors. When the 200 came out I ordered one and have been 100 % satisfied. There are some things in the making right now that will improve the service time and availability of parts for those of you here in the US, as well as having motors in inventory and ready for immediate shipping.

best regards,
Old 01-01-2008, 05:53 PM
jacksonretlaw-RCU
My Feedback: (16)

I learned about turbines buy buying parts from them before their kits were available.I would call every week to them for parts and support.When you call you speak to the owners of the company.How many times in this day and age do you here this.They have always been extremely nice and helpful with my needs.They stand behind their product whole heartely.I had a problem with my RPM sensor for my ecu.I explained to them my problem.Sarah sent me out a new one that day.Also no cost to me.Now that is what I call customer service.My Wren 54 amazes me.From their sincere attitude to this hobby they have made me a life long customer.And I am sure you will here this a thousand times over.In this world we live in.It is great to have people like this in our hobby.It makes all of the negative dealings in my life go away.God bless them and their products.They deserve merit in all they do.

Best regards,
Walter Jackson
Old 01-01-2008, 06:01 PM
chipperg
My Feedback: (9)

I have the wren 54ss and I am very happy. This is my first. I have had 2 flame outs and only one in flight. Both of these were my fault. I did not pruge all of the air out of the UAT. note to self, turbines do not run well on air alone.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Totally pleased with the service, and amazed at the continued reliability of the MW-54.

Some hard numbers: 61 flights; 3 glow plugs; and one flame out due to a faulty Rx switch. oh......it makes great smoke too!!

Old 01-01-2008, 07:40 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

Some hard numbers: 61 flights; 3 glow plugs;....................

Wayne (or anyone with Wren turbines) are the Wren's that bad on glow plugs??? my current P-70 has 69 starts with 6 1/2hrs of run time and it's still got the original plug i installed when i get it new from JetCat.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:40 PM
JetflyerJ
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

Thank you so much for all the replies.

Anyone using the XL200 or is this a new engine that just came out?

I understand that these engines come in kit form or use to, do they sell them in turn key RTR stage?

What about the ECU, I noticed there's some Glow plug issues. Does this ECU have to be set or does it come with all parameters set already?

Fuel consumption numbers would be great also.

Thanks again!
Old 01-01-2008, 07:45 PM
KC36330

the XL-200 has been on the market quiet a number of months. i do believe the only kit versions you can buy are MW-54 Mk. III's and the 200 is only offered as a factory assembled engine.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:09 PM
jetflyr

ORIGINAL: Jetflyer 24

I understand that these engines come in kit form or use to, do they sell them in turn key RTR stage?
What about the ECU, I noticed there's some Glow plug issues. Does this ECU have to be set or does it come with all parameters set already?

Thanks again!
I've built 5 MW-54's, (NOT all mine ) starting with the plans version.
Today you can build the '54 as plans, kit or rtf.
The MW 44, Super Sport and XL200 ONLY come as rtf/rtr.
As to glow plugs, you know as well as anyone that each engine, if the parameters are changed for the glow voltage, will have a variable plug life....brand doesn't matter.
I average one plug everyother year (200 flights or so) since I have the voltage set as low as allowable yet still get a good start. (MC-9s)
Those who like a really hot plug voltage, and/or use cheap glow plugs will get shorter life spans.
The ECU is set before the engine is sent, but there are some parameters you can customise.....like plug voltage.

Fuel consumption can be found in RCJI from their test. I think it was at, or perhaps slightly better than the company claims.

I own, and am happy with my other two brands of engine, but Wren did set the standard that the others have had to rise to.

I think a good testiment to the company is that I can only recall one "problem" post about them in the last 5 years.....and he wasn't even a customer.

Hope this helps.
Greg
Old 01-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Wren Turbines USA
My Feedback: (39)

The 200 is available only ready to run. The only kits are the 54. One of the best features of this motor is the lighter weight (about a pound less than comparable sized motors). Fuel consumption is about 2 oz per minute less also (at full rpm).

All the normal parameters can be adjusted with the GSU (accelleration & decelleration delays, plug voltage, min & max rpm....ect.) The glow plug issue can be due to many things...battery health, propane mixture (also adjustable with a remote needle valve...which is included). It took me about a dozen starts to get to the "sweet spot" and now the starts are quiet and cool. All in learning a new system. All parameters are factory set, but can be changed to accomodate conditions.
All specs are available on the Wren website.
Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Wayne22

Wayne (or anyone with Wren turbines) are the Wren's that bad on glow plugs??? my current P-70 has 69 starts with 6 1/2hrs of run time and it's still got the original plug i installed when i get it new from JetCat.
Gee...I thought that was pretty good...my big block would only average 10 flights per plug. I'm using 20 year fox plugs that I got for free. I don't consider this to be any more than a trival issue.....

The MW-54 is a great little engine...it starts first time every single time, and, other than fuel, I have not spent a dime on it................of the 4 makes of turbines that I have flown, it has been the most trouble free and reliable.....
Old 01-01-2008, 10:20 PM
fast jets

My frist MW-44 had 39 hours on it when I sold it, never been back and ran as good as the day I bought it. Only replaced the plug once.

John
Old 01-01-2008, 11:24 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

Gee...I thought that was pretty good...my big block would only average 10 flights per plug. I'm using 20 year fox plugs that I got for free. I don't consider this to be any more than a trival issue.....

sounds like you've got bad plugs. I've used OS A3s and currently use McCoy 59s and a failed plug is a rarity, one of those things if it does happen you don't expect it because it's been good for a couple yrs when you get the red blinking LED (on the JetCat's) you gotta plug in the GSU to see the glow plug icon blinking to realize what the fault is.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Wayne22

Like I said above, it is a really trivial issue. I paid nothing for the plugs. The bottom line is that the Wren (in my experience) is a very, very reliable engine - and that is what this thread is about...
Old 01-02-2008, 12:31 AM
KC36330

yeah i was just asking if it was a commonality with the Wren's and glow plugs, I'm contemplating getting a 44 for a Composite ARF Spark..
Old 01-02-2008, 01:18 AM
erazz

Thanks again!

For XL200 reports read here: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6188327/anchors_6448563/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6188327/anchors_6448563/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm[/link]
Old 01-02-2008, 02:20 AM
GrayUK

Fantastic engines, people and service.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:30 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I own a Supersport with about 50 flights on it & still on the original plug. I have not changed any parameters on the ECU, just fly it as it came out of the box.

I have had a couple of failed starts but they were probably due to operator error. The only dead stick I've had was when the starter came loose & jammed the engine on the second flight. This was fixed quickly & at no charge, it has run perfectly since. - John.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:40 AM
Tony abw60

Not a lot anyone can add really.
Just good solid engines with good solid support from the most helpful people in all aspects of our hobby.
Tony
Old 01-02-2008, 03:39 AM
swissflyer

i have 3 Wrens: 2 MW44 (old ones ) and a MW54 kit

the kit has been assembled in 4-5 hours and run flawless since the first firing.

both 44 run perfectly, but both suffered crashes [:@][].
When back from the wren "excellent and fast service" they always performed better than new (from old going to gold...)

so..the day i will need a new turbine, i don't even think to look others than wren!

and as a plus: Sara's cake are a delicious add-on!
Old 01-02-2008, 03:54 AM
Yann

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never had to change a glow plug in three years...
Old 01-02-2008, 05:20 AM
davo580

I think I got a bad one. mine did 12 starts had prob big blue flames out of the rear.. changed ecu had another 6 good starts then same problem which started at 114,000 revs. Took it to the person who does the warranty for wren here ran it on his test bed same thing. Before sending engine back to wren we elimiated the ecu by replacing it with another tried engine same thing. Next we tried another fuel pump {new one} same thing. Next tried another turbine wren ss with my ecu and my pump It ran beautiful . So that way we elimated the ecu and pump so the turbine was at fault. The temp got up to about 1,000 degrees on the display. Now sent back turbine to wren in the first week of december 07 and still waiting for reply for what is wrong with this turbine and still waiting on return date
Old 01-02-2008, 07:55 AM
WrenTurbines

Davo,

Sorry for the delay, we had problems in mid-December with the workload because staff were off ill or on holiday, and then we were closed from 21st December until today.

The engine wasn't built here - it went out as a kit.

It wouldn't start at first, and although we've now got it to start the start is still too slow. It runs OK once it gets going, so it's now undergoing a series of tests to find the source of the problem. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Sara Parish
Wren Turbines
Old 01-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Johnny,
I have a Wren 44 Gold installed in my Grumania F-100. The motor has run flawless.
The only thing you to do is teach the ECU the Throttle end points. You can change other values but the motor came ready to run from Wren. I bought the Propane Regulator from Dreamworks and I now use the Coleman Propane which costs a whole $2.50 at Home Depot. The Throttle response is FAST on this motor and the fuel economy is excellent too. I would not hesitate to buy any of their motor.
Happy New Year
Bob

Hello,

What is the biggest ( Thrust ) turbine WREN makes. Feedback would be greatly appreciated, interested in reading all experiences with WREN turbines, Good and Bad, Service, shipping, ease of use, number of hours logged, etc....

Please save the bull***** trying to tell me who's best and why, I'm only interested in reading about this particular brand wether is positive or negative and why.

Thank you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.