Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Mick Reeves Venom Plans

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Mick Reeves Venom Plans

Old 02-10-2018, 10:47 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mick Reeves Venom Plans

I am interested seeing or purchasing the plans for the Mick Reeves Venom. I found a web page advertising a short kit but did not find any way to contact him.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:37 AM
Jgwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sid

Mick Reeves has a web page with his email address on it as well as the telephone number etc.

www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk

Loads of these Venoms have been made, they take a lot of work but fly very well when finished.

John
Old 02-11-2018, 06:42 AM
sidgates

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Jgwright
Sid

Mick Reeves has a web page with his email address on it as well as the telephone number etc.

www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk

Loads of these Venoms have been made, they take a lot of work but fly very well when finished.

John
================================================== ====
Google found the Venom page but I couldn't figure out how to back up to the home page that contains email address.I just finished my current scratch build that we discussed many years ago. See photo below.
Sid
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F-94C at Jefco Meeting-8in_150.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	2254207  

Last edited by sidgates; 02-11-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:36 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by sidgates
================================================== ====
Google found the Venom page but I couldn't figure out how to back up to the home page that contains email address.I just finished my current scratch build that we discussed many years ago. See photo below.
Sid
That looks like a T-33
Old 02-11-2018, 07:45 AM
Jgwright

Nice plane Sid

Unfortunately RCU does not show the large size of photo when you have a Mac.

I forgot to mention that the Venom does not need a lot of power. I have seen them fly with a Jetcat P80, but mine flew well with a Simjet 1200 12 lbs thrust as did Colin Straus who used a Ram 500.

John
Old 02-11-2018, 07:47 AM
sidgates

Originally Posted by rgburrill
That looks like a T-33
================================================== ======
Here is my T-33 (BVM) The F-94C was bigger, heavier, faster and carried 48 rockets. Paint scheme on both are from 27th Fighter Squadron( 1955-1958) We used the T-33 for instrument check flights and towing a target over Lake Ontario.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	T-33_Sid_ 60702.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	2254208  

Last edited by sidgates; 02-11-2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:51 AM
sidgates

Default Engine size

Originally Posted by Jgwright
Nice plane Sid

Unfortunately RCU does not show the large size of photo when you have a Mac.

I forgot to mention that the Venom does not need a lot of power. I have seen them fly with a Jetcat P80, but mine flew well with a Simjet 1200 12 lbs thrust as did Colin Straus who used a Ram 500.

John
===================================
We will probably use the KingTech 70 (15.5lbs thrust)
Old 02-11-2018, 07:56 AM
siclick33

I’m not sure if John built his himself but the kit is absolute rubbish. The wing ribs aren’t cut correctly (so much so I have read that someone had to completely recut their own set) and I’ve also read that the boom angles are incorrectly cut.

I am far from being an expert builder and gave up with mine relatively quickly as a result of its shortcomings. As a scratch builder I’m sure you would be fine with it and I’ve seen some lovely pictures of compeleted models so it’s clearly not impossible to build, however it’s not straightforwards; I wish I could have finished mine.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:08 AM
sidgates

Originally Posted by siclick33
I’m not sure if John built his himself but the kit is absolute rubbish. The wing ribs aren’t cut correctly (so much so I have read that someone had to completely recut their own set) and I’ve also read that the boom angles are incorrectly cut.

I am far from being an expert builder and gave up with mine relatively quickly as a result of its shortcomings. As a scratch builder I’m sure you would be fine with it and I’ve seen some lovely pictures of compeleted models so it’s clearly not impossible to build, however it’s not straightforwards; I wish I could have finished mine.
=========================================
Build notes and photos at this link.
F-94C PROJECT
Old 02-11-2018, 09:35 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by siclick33

No I didn't build mine. It was built from a part kit by Roger Emms. He made a great job of it. The only thing I changed was the rudders and I fitted small servos at the tail to make them more positive. As I recall it the main problem was the incidence of the booms not being correct. Many of the old school builds need fettling and adjusting to get parts to fit. The very best one I have seen is the one John Ransome built with EDF power. I bit harsh on your views of the kit as plenty have been built and flown.

The Kingtech 70 should be fine to power the plane.

John
Old 02-11-2018, 10:33 AM
siclick33

John, it wasn't that some of the parts needed fettling. Some of them just plain didn't fit and had to be remade. In a short kit where you only get a few parts, for the ribs to be cut incorrectly and for the boom incidence pegs to be wrong are fairly major failings IMO. I believe Mick was aware of these issues and didn't do anything to correct the kits. The glass parts were well made though and if you were prepared to re-do the rest then I'm sure it would be ok.

I know they are completely different types of models but one of my first jets was a Reaper and the parts on that fitted like a glove. I was expecting a similar parts fit on the Venom but that wasn't the case.

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost admiration for those that have built one but I believe that is more a reflection of the excellence of the builders skill rather than the quality of the kit. I would have loved to have built and flown mine as I much prefer the Venom over the Vampire and there aren't many (if any) Venom kits around, especially in that nice club friendly size, but I didn't have enough time or ability to battle through it.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:30 PM
Sundownee
My Feedback: (30)

Wow guys, I just seen this post. I actually just picked up a Mick Reeves Venom from a friend, its still not finished but the wings and most of the fuse and the booms are on.. I can post pictures later.

Paul
Old 04-22-2020, 12:00 AM
SeaHawk-RCU

Default Plans?

Originally Posted by sidgates
I am interested seeing or purchasing the plans for the Mick Reeves Venom. I found a web page advertising a short kit but did not find any way to contact him.
Did you ever get the plans? I have a MR Venom kit with no plans. I have email Mick at the address on the website but had no reply. Electronic or hard copy is fine by me.

Regards

Col
Old 04-22-2020, 04:34 AM
sidgates

Default Plans

Originally Posted by SeaHawk-RCU
Did you ever get the plans? I have a MR Venom kit with no plans. I have email Mick at the address on the website but had no reply. Electronic or hard copy is fine by me.

Regards

Col
I ordered the plans at that time and don't want to part with them. I also received a quote a couple of months ago for the short kit less plans. I think I used this address.
[email protected]
Hope that helps

Old 07-06-2020, 11:47 PM
SeaHawk-RCU

All good, contact made and plans ordered and received.
Thanks