Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

SimJet Nexus vs. The Rest in 36lb Class

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

SimJet Nexus vs. The Rest in 36lb Class

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Mr DJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SimJet Nexus vs. The Rest in 36lb Class

Hello...

An article in Apr/May 06 RC Jet International by Tom Wilkinson, “The Nexus engine featured here is the result of more than a year’s research and development by SimJet into the engine’s compressor, diffuser and combustion chamber design. The result is an engine that can claim to be the most advanced in the market for model aircraft use.”

The article ended with, “Early models gas turbines suffered from significant ‘throttle lag’- this is literally a think of the pas with the Nexus, there should never be any anxious moments during a missed approach, the thrust will be there when needed, and those who enjoy the ‘3D’ style of jet flying will have a ball!”

I own a Yellow Aircraft F-15 ARF and a SimJet Nexus—have yet to build—nerveless and too lazy to start. Anyways, will you guys give me your tried and tested experiences with the Nexus and the others out there: Rhino, P160, Merlin, etc. and tell me what you think and/or know.

All turbines basically look the same, but that Nexus sure is sweet—see?

Thanks…

Mr DJ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78165.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	843860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18564.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	843861  
Old 01-06-2008, 01:20 PM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: SimJet Nexus vs. The Rest in 36lb Class

So is the AT 400 is this class? If not why? Its in a 28lb Pegasus Turbine case......... IT has by far impressed me as the best throttle response of all the AMT's I operate, Mercury, Mercury HP, Pegasus, Pegasus HP
Old 01-06-2008, 01:27 PM
Mr DJ

c/f

I don’t know what class the AT 400 is in—I don’t know all that’s out there—I just want opinions from all of you on all that is in use and what you think/know of the Nexus.

I will look into AMT—who deals them in the US?

Mr DJ
Old 01-06-2008, 01:39 PM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here you go...........

http://www.usamt.com/

Cincinatti OH based, Dr J John Liggons heads up the operation and is a rgeular at most big USA Jet meets.............
Old 01-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Nighthawk117
My Feedback: (41)

Well, get off your butt and put some air under the wings of that bird and give use some first hand knowledge
Old 01-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Mr DJ

Nighthawk

I'm with you on that

Mr DJ
Old 01-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Nighthawk117
My Feedback: (41)

ORIGINAL: Mr DJ

Nighthawk

I'm with you on that

Mr DJ
Now then, are you done yet?? Dont forget some video too !
Old 01-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't own a Nexus, but sure looks like a great engine. I do have a simjet 2300 and had a very good experience with it. More likely the challenge will be quick turnaround in any service required from Simjet. They do have a US dealer.

I do have three Artes jet engines (Rhino, Eagle and Bee). Good experience with them and super fast service from both Eric Clapp (dealer) and the Mexico factory (both the Felipe Nieto (owner) and the lead technician (Juan) provide great support.

Good luck
Old 01-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Mr DJ

Edgar

thanks for the info...

i think in the future, i may try Artes

Mr DJ
Old 01-07-2008, 11:44 PM
bernardb
My Feedback: (2)

It is sweet looking!

Are the wires and tubes being smooshed by the front intake cover or is there a cutout?

Bernard
Old 01-08-2008, 12:24 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Simjets have a gap there...
Old 01-08-2008, 03:20 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A friend of mine has a Nexus in a Eurosport. I have a Merlin 160 in a Eurosport, so it has been interesting to compare and contrast. My model is a bit heavier but nonetheless my model has better vertical performance. There is little in it in straight line speed. My Merlin accelerates faster than any engine I have previously owned, but the Nexus is faster still, almost instantaneous! Both engines have performed very well over several years.
John
Old 01-08-2008, 03:29 AM
icepilot

Hi Mr DJ -
being a neighbor country to Denmark, a lot of guys here have flown Simjet turbines ever since we started flying jets.
The Nexus is indeed a nice engine, but there have been 6 or 7 cases here where it has thrown a compressor blade in
the air and had to be returned to the factory for a complete overhaul. This has happened at top RPM, and I would
strongly suggest that you dial down at least 3-4000 rpm from the top allowed speed, as a turbine failure is something
you don't want (at least not in the air..) The pictures show Cato Hortens Nexus-powered Yellow F-18 just when the
turbine "explodes" and the result of the following very hard "landing".

Tor
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28255.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	845600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51728.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	845601  
Old 01-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Tor,

I know of the several incidents you have referenced and had spoken to Simjet-Denmark concerning this as here in the states we have not experienced this issue as the clearance between the Compressor OD and Diffuser ID has been increased on subsequent production runs to eliminate this.

Best regards,

Old 01-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

A very popular engine in this thrust class is the JetCat Titan...
See [link=http://www.jetcatusa.com]JetCat USA[/link] for more information.

The TITAN SE makes 34 pounds, and has very fast throttle response with famed JetCat reliability.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Old 01-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Mr DJ

Yes, there is a gap...

Mr DJ
Old 01-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: JohnMac

A friend of mine has a Nexus in a Eurosport. I have a Merlin 160 in a Eurosport, so it has been interesting to compare and contrast. My model is a bit heavier but nonetheless my model has better vertical performance. There is little in it in straight line speed. My Merlin accelerates faster than any engine I have previously owned, but the Nexus is faster still, almost instantaneous! Both engines have performed very well over several years.
John
John

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout, "faster still." I'm ling.

Thanks...

Mr DJ
Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: icepilot

Hi Mr DJ -
being a neighbor country to Denmark, a lot of guys here have flown Simjet turbines ever since we started flying jets.
The Nexus is indeed a nice engine, but there have been 6 or 7 cases here where it has thrown a compressor blade in
the air and had to be returned to the factory for a complete overhaul. This has happened at top RPM, and I would
strongly suggest that you dial down at least 3-4000 rpm from the top allowed speed, as a turbine failure is something
you don't want (at least not in the air..) The pictures show Cato Hortens Nexus-powered Yellow F-18 just when the
turbine "explodes" and the result of the following very hard "landing".

Tor
Tor, my Man--what's happenin'

Wow--that's some serious biz goin' on in that bird--scary too... But like Vampire said, I've not heard of that stateside, but I will be praying still that that doesn't happen to me or to any pilots in the future--you know what I'm sayin'.

Thanks...

Mr DJ
Old 01-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

The TITAN SE makes 34 pounds, and has very fast throttle response with famed JetCat reliability.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Harly, what's up...

I looked at the Titan--in fact, JetCat USA told me that Titans come in as 36lb P160s--they tune in down to 34lbs--He was going to sell me normal P160 but then I read the article above and was sold on the Nexus. The only reason why I'm thinkin' about the Rhino is because of it's Lifetime Warranty and $250 or less service interval--can't beat that.

Thanks...

Mr DJ
Old 01-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Mr DJ

ORIGINAL: Vampire

Hi Tor,

I know of the several incidents you have referenced and had spoken to Simjet-Denmark concerning this as here in the states we have not experienced this issue as the clearance between the Compressor OD and Diffuser ID has been increased on subsequent production runs to eliminate this.

Best regards,

Vampire - Kerry

I just realized it's you. Hay gang, this is the Man who sold me on the Nexus--not too mention took all of my money

As you can see, Vamp--I'm searchin' for more opinions over the RCJI article above--so far, so good...

That charger is on it way, by-the-way...

Thanks...

Mr DJ
Old 01-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Robrow

As well as the lifetime warranty you will also find the Rhino makes around 38lbs thrust.

Rob.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Mr DJ

Rob

38? I'm liking that and at the same price. But is that on Rhinos sold overseas Only--are US versions tuned to 36?

Mr DJ
Old 01-08-2008, 05:13 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: Harley Condra

Harley Condra
BVM REP
JetCat REP
Harly, what's up...

I looked at the Titan--in fact, JetCat USA told me that Titans come in as 36lb P160s--they tune in down to 34lbs--He was going to sell me normal P160 but then I read the article above and was sold on the Nexus. The only reason why I'm thinkin' about the Rhino is because of it's Lifetime Warranty and $250 or less service interval--can't beat that.

Thanks...

Mr DJ

I think I'd rather have a 3 yr warranty, pay slightly more than $250 and have JetCat Reliability. Even one jet down can be as much as a $10,000 bill. I am not a JetCat Rep. Like most of us on these threads, I can buy any turbine I want.

Raf
Old 01-08-2008, 05:25 PM
icepilot

I know Simjet and Lars over here have adressed the problem, and I think the new turbines will be better
and not have this problem. As you say, the clearance between the compressor OD and the diffuser ID was
too tight, and this was what caused the problem at full RPM.
I still have Simjet turbines and fully trust the guys in Denmark.

Tor
Old 01-08-2008, 05:44 PM
BlackCloud
My Feedback: (12)

Rob

38? I'm liking that and at the same price. But is that on Rhinos sold overseas Only--are US versions tuned to 36?

Mr DJ
No, that is only a Jetcat USA thing for turning jetcat P160s down for reliability in the US with a different name. If you look at the Jetcat German site you will not see anything called a "Titan" only a P160. http://jetcat.de/jetcatturbinen/strahlturbinen.htm

I think the Jet Central Rhinos are now baseline 37 pounds and usually produce more. Real thrust, not just an advertised number. I took a SuperBee I had which was advertised at 14 pounds and it produced 14.8 at 85 degrees in Florida humidity. Tested at Modellbau-USA's test stand. Jet Central 's thrust reports seem to be always at least what they advertise and usually more.

Sounds like you need someone to have a side by side Nexus and Rhino. It would be interesting to hear.
BC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.