Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

bvm f-100

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

bvm f-100

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:28 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Default RE: bvm f-100

Shazam!! I can't be the only one looking around like "kermit the frog"....Barry you know what I mean..

Old 01-10-2008, 06:18 AM
rcpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bobs gear is the best, just like f4 gear.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:20 AM
rcpete2

like the f4 gear its strong,it can take a beating.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:28 AM
msrcflyer2
My Feedback: (40)

Buck-

Dude you are halirous! Kermit....you're killing me.

Tim - Put a Titan SE or a P-180. Go with all the BVM recomendations.

M. Stern
Old 01-10-2008, 08:57 AM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

why is this a impossible situation. i am meticulous and have built scale miniatures for movies and films. I have pics posted of my work in the arf b-25 forum. I have a 1/133 vkm bismarck im building for a gentleman. selling price 10,000. I also built a 1/100 titanic that is housed at the titanic historical society. go to their web page. You havent heard of me because i dont compete or belong to a club. I cant my wife is paralyzed so we bought a house with the land for my airstrip. Now i understand torgue requirements , composite construction, fiberglassing ect. the only thing is the turbine itself. Im not going to throw this hun together and fly it down my street like the youtube idiot! i am the owner of 25 ww2 aircraft and i chose the hun because of the forgiving handling. i will bench run that engine until all the systems are familiar. then do taxi tests. im not going to go full power and just go.
remeber im a chemist so im a very meticulous person. also im a scratch builder and am experienced.

i mean no disrespect to the hard work you put in to get a waiver but i fly off my own land and wont need one. I have ama for one reason to support them because of their hard work to obtain our frequncies

dustin ill call you at 3:30 thanks tim
Old 01-10-2008, 10:24 AM
DavidR

Just to add a little fuel to the fire that you may not be considering. While the turbine is very reliable the slower spool up time and the high wing loading of the Hun is a recipe for disaster as an introductory model to jet flying. I guess no one here is doubting your building or flying skills just doubting the judgeent in selecting a heavily wingloaded scale jet as a first turbine model.

DR
Old 01-10-2008, 11:10 AM
JetflyerJ
Banned
My Feedback: (67)

Buy a BVM Phantom and you'll be just fine.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:21 AM
kevinthoele

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

The airplane is very fast. It is also heavy in the pattern so power management is very important. If you build the D model use a Titan and a Jetcat P-180 in the F model

Good luck... Go all BVM parts and recommended servos

Keep us posted,

Old 01-10-2008, 11:41 AM
kirkj
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: timothy thompson

WELL I HAVE TO HIT THE BED SCHOOL IN THE AM GOT TO GIVE A CHEM TEST TOMORROW. ILL CALL BOB TOMORROW. IF YOU GUYS COULD POST LINKS ON PROPER TURBINES I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. AT LEAST IM NOT TRYING A B-52 LIKE THE GUY IN ENGLAND. 8 WRENS OUCH! FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME THOMPSONT @BCSCHOOLS.NET AS TOMORROW I HAVE A 2HOUR PREP PERIOD!

THANK YOU FOR ACTULLY BEING NICE. WAS TOLD ON THE WARBIRD FORUM IF I CAME OVER HERE I WOULD GET THE NASTY TREATMENT I HAVENT FOUND THAT THANK YOU

TIM THOMPSON
SAGINAW MI

Dang, i was thinking you were a english teacher, or possibly grammar

all kidding aside,
i built a BVM F-100 as my first jet BUILD, it was a build for a very experianced pilot - I did not fly it, as i was not into turbines at that time. remember i just built it for a friend, did not fly it. the build following the perfect manual was a non issue.
since then i have gone off into turbines and started with a BVM Bobcat. i feel its a good first step to hone my skills (i have the same flying skills as you describe - lots of stick time in everything but no turbine)
i now have a scale highly loaded bird on the table and im glad i started burning jet-a where i did.
not saying you cant.... do what every turns your crank, its just my story.

Kirk
Old 01-10-2008, 11:54 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Kirk,
What are you building now?
Scott
Old 01-10-2008, 12:11 PM
RBardin
My Feedback: (27)

Tim, Kirk and all the others here are giving you good information. Buy a Hun and build it. But also get something else to get familiar with operating and flying turbine powered models before you try to fly the Hun. Models that have externally mounted turbines are ideal for this. Get used to the lag time and pilot workload, and then sell it once you get proficient with it.

Everyone here is trying to help. Its pretty much a proven recipe for success.

It would be to your advantage to swallow a little pride and ask for help while learning to fly turbines, too. Find some jet pilots near you and ask them to come fly with you at your place. Offer to incur expenses if its far away. You'll be money ahead in the long run.

Good Luck!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:13 PM
timothy thompson

I JUST RECIEVED A PM FROM a person who did the hun as his first jet and he still has the plane. You are all correct about spooling times and such, i have a 2mile x 2mile area with a 500X100 asphalt runway. I do have a lot to learn but to say its preposterous is a little demeaning IMHO. im used to high wing loading aircraft and if this jet lands around 40-50 i can handle this. I know all about redundant systems matchboxes and all the giant scale things required. I will use flite metal and build a full scale bird. Ive seen pics of the outstanding quality of the kit.
You guys have to remember i dont compete due to my wife i cant leave her for extended time. I go fly and im right there. She loves to watch and i have her flying a t rex , learning anyway. The money issue is there if my wife has therapy at a certain time as its not all covered by insurance. I will build the hun scale and fly her for my own enjoyment no compettion. I think all of you here are the best pilots around. You have to be to fly at these speeds and performance envelope. looks like 3 weeks before i order the full kit as i do belive its the way to go. Bob has such a great reputation.
i taught myself how to fly on a pica p-40 no help at all! i never crashed the plane! that was back 20 years ago.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm looking forward to the photos of your Hun. When do you think you'll have it finished?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:30 PM
kirkj
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

Kirk,
What are you building now?
Scott
Im now building a BVM F86-80" its 2-3 weeks from paint.
and funny this thread should pop up as I also have a BVM F100-D in the box, with a P180 thats up next. the jet bug bites hard[:@]

the first F100-F I did was for Ray Blair.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Hi Tim:

Good to see there are still those around willing to tackle a time consuming build like the Hun.....many, myself included, use the services of Pro Builders to get a Hun in the air......I build nice sport jets, but leave the fancy scale stuff to the Pro's.....

No question that throttle control while landing is important with turbines, especially those with high wing loading, but overplayed nowadays with our fast spooling motors.....

Locally, our experience with newbie turbine pilots is not mushing one in on final that usually just bangs up the gear and mounts, but losing it somewhere on the downwind......new turbine flyers routinely go too far out and too fast on the downwind, get disoriented, and stuff it.....not just a bent strut, but total destruction.....I would guess 10:1 that newbie crashes are lost on the downwind, or somewhere else, away from show center, i.e. overbanking and snapping or deep tucking in a turn.....

It would be a reasonable move to have an experienced scale jet pilot on a buddy box with you for your maiden, and I would suggest doing the first 10-15 flights at an airport, if possible.......your 500 feet is a bit short IMO, until you get comfortable with it......why risk $10,000.00+ and 200-300 hrs build/detail time.....and you will flatten those pricey tires right now, if you lay on the brakes to get it stopped after touching down long.....instant square tires.....

We have had excellent prop flyers in our club transition to turbines with only a couple of flights on the buddy box, so if you are a competent giant scale prop warbird or 3-D aerobatic pilot, you should do fine with just a little help from a seasoned scale jet flyer....

Tom

Old 01-10-2008, 01:24 PM
timothy thompson

thats a good idea! now to find one in saginaw mi
Old 01-10-2008, 01:32 PM
timothy thompson

done i wont even have the kit for around 3 weeks and the way i must super detail a while. I did read most are lost downwind on the turn to final and probaby due to two factors either coming around too fast and a high speed stall or having the nose too high and stalling! i will never fly it at full capacity of 180 thats insane for me but a little over 120 may be fun! I need to talk to bvm first and see about the finances and that is the first consideration.
I had a dad who flew f-86s and always would talk to me about the problems with spooling and not having available power as with a piston engine. It took him a good month of everyday flying to get the hang of the sabre. he did not fly the 100 but saw lots of them.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:22 PM
Kelly Rohrbach

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HEY TIMOTHY
I can understand your love for the Hun, but please understand that the guys here are only trying to save you some bucks.
I would say go get the hun on order but do learn with a bobcat or something more forgiving.
I have built and finished 3 Huns and they are a lot of work but more than worth the effort. The plane is to cool not to have one but just don't let your ego get the better part of your wallet.
Its like a new guy (or lets face it any of us) that when we started years ago we wanted the P51 as our first plane. I think it is great that there are guys out there that still want to built a super nice jet. ARF's are great and have there place but nothing looks as good on a flightline as a nice scale model built from the ground up!!
Kelly Rohrbach
Old 01-10-2008, 03:08 PM
vette7380
My Feedback: (57)

Guys,
This is really strange. Anyway, I hope someone takes a video of the maiden flight....whatever happens.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:42 PM
smokin-gun
My Feedback: (18)

hey timothy,
give me $20,000.00 and i will kick you in the nuts and we will call it a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(that is what flying an f-100 would be like for your first jet)
Old 01-10-2008, 03:50 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

there's a great video of this event out there somewhere in the Underworld
Old 01-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Now that IS a reality check!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2008, 04:06 PM
smokin-gun
My Feedback: (18)

why beat around the bush?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:18 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: G.KERR JR.

hey timothy,
give me $20,000.00 and i will kick you in the nuts and we will call it a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(that is what flying an f-100 would be like for your first jet)
lol, one of my favorite lines....it's "You give me half the money you were going to bet, then we'll go out back, I'll kick you in the nuts and we'll call it a day!". Seems appropriate here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqHJq...eature=related

Barry
Old 01-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Patrick Frost
Banned
My Feedback: (88)

I was thinking of buying a BVM Phantom and installing Rohm-Air gear in it with an O.S Ducted fan with a SuperCharger for my first jet Just kiddin Timothy........................................the F-100 is da bomb diggity yall I love mine!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35148.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	847574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78083.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	847575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10047.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	847576  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.