Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JD Enterprises Kits

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JD Enterprises Kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 11:08 PM
rcav8tr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JD Enterprises Kits

Has anyone built a JD Enterprises Kit. Hits, Misses, overall impressions? Haven't heard of alot being built or flown.

Thanks,
Ed

PS NO Bashing, just info/experiences. Reps/Dealers allowed.
Old 03-05-2002, 03:06 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, Ed. The brakes arrived fine! I need to find some longer axles, though.
They are going on...a JD Models Crusader!
I previously flew it on Byron power, flew very well. The crusader and the F104 are from the old ITP Italy kits. The others, I cannot speak for. They are alright kits.
The wings are preglassed with a fiberglass skin. That part is great. The glasswork on the fuse is okay. Not exceptional, but useable. Nothing that is a real problem, just a few pinholes and seams and such.
The wood parts, such as wing joiners and formers, were all cut very poorly and needed lots of work to make them fit. But...there are VERY few wood parts, so that's not such a big deal.
There was very little hardware, and the stab rods were two different sizes, so I made new ones.
The plastic parts are a bit flimsy, but useable. The plastic cockpit kit looks pretty good without too much effort.
Instructons are minimal, but parts count is pretty minimal, too.
Dennis is pretty good about spare parts and stuff. Support is there, he's a real person and will help you out on the phone.
It's not on the level of a BVM kit, that's for sure, but if you have a few jets under your belt, there is nothing that you cannot build your way around without too much problem. If you wanted to go dead-nuts scale, I would look elsewhere, as this is a pretty old kit and not very scale.
I should think that all the same applies to the 104, but I don't know about the rest of the line. Some really neat subjects.
The crusader has been reworked for ram 500 power and is almost ready to paint.
I think the kits are a reasonable deal, not an exceptional one. For a $700 kit, I would expect a little more attention to some of the details, like better wood parts. But where else are you going to find a crusader?
Which kit were you looking at?
Old 03-05-2002, 03:42 AM
rcav8tr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which kit?

Glad to hear the wheels finally arrived. According to Canada Post, their still in limbo(mind you, so are they most months). They are late so will go after them for a refund anyway!

I wasn't looking at any kits in particular. I happen to click through their website the other day and saw the range of kits, but couldn't recall ever seeing or hearing of any of them.

Thanks for the input and enjoy the wheels.

Ed
Old 03-05-2002, 04:08 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They arrived some time over the weekend, I was away. No damage or anything. Canada Post, well...let's not get into it!
The Mystere and HAL have always intrigued me. The crusader is just right for turbine, by the way...