Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Two Rookie's almost ready.

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Two Rookie's almost ready.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:18 PM
blunderbum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Rookie's almost ready.

I've almost finished building by two Rookie's and they should be ready for a test flight soon. I have a Jetcat 160 in one and the other has a Jetcat 160SE in it. It will be interesting to see how much difference their is between the motor.
I have also decided not to fit the under belly airbrake to them and I plan on using the canards to slow them down, what should I expect when I flick the canards down 85 degrees, will it pitch up badly?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17195.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	853017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74019.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	853018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci97897.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	853019  
Old 01-16-2008, 07:37 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Two Rookie's almost ready.

Slow it down, flip the switch (on mine deploying them takes out the mix of canard to elevator).

The nose will pitch up and then settle right into level flight. Don't be afraid, the first time I hit that switch two years ago, I was afraid and ready to put it back [sm=confused_smile.gif] !

But turned out to be a non event. I've got a couple hundred flights on the airplane now, been doing that action every flight. I don't know how many I have setup that way, but seems like at least 5 I've maidened and or built.

The best ones have 36 lbs of thrust [sm=lol.gif] But alas, it is a heck of a lot of residual thrust on landing, so after 150 flights or so I switched to a 30lb falcon. I actually like that powerplant better for the airplane FWIW. You are going to have a ball, that's for sure!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:00 AM
growingupisoptional

Can't believe you haven't finished them yet. Saturday is only 3 building days away.
That's right I was wasting your time today building the Extra. ;-)
Can't wait to give them a crack on saturday. ;-) See you tomorrow morning.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:41 PM
growingupisoptional

Well seeing as he hasn't replied I will.
We test flew one as the SE motor keep having hot start issues.
Flipped the switch for cannards and ................

Awesome, like a massive air brake, barely pitched up and settled into a nice slow approach. Scarily easy, easier to land than a kangaroo or boomerang.
Actually takes all the fun out of it, now being too easy to land. ;-(

Only question is, do you think there is to much load on the cannard if you maintain altitude? I did a fly past the pits then turned on crosswind leg and pulled the cannard switch, she settled in to a nice descent so I throttled up to keep it at the same altitude for the res of the circuit. It took about 3/4 throttle on a Jetcat P160 dialled down to 110,000rpm. It wasn't really flying very fast but we were worried about the load on the cannard servo.
Nice way to fly her in using the throttle to land on the piano keys just like a real bird.

Cheers
Old 02-06-2008, 12:15 AM
blunderbum

Yes I have to agree with you J, those canards had allot more air braking effect then the under belly letter box air brake.
Can you post the pictures you took of our great packing job we did into the back of the Prado.
I've got the SE fixed now and it was just a high fuel pump voltage.
What do you think to the sliver strips?

By the way your Jetcat 120SE is on its way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30906.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	871243