Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FeiBao MB-339 in flight breakup

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FeiBao MB-339 in flight breakup

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 08:53 PM
rcjetmodels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FeiBao MB-339 in flight breakup

Hi Barry,

Regarding Doc Rodriguez MB339 she is ready only waiting for a test fly and crate to send back to him, and I'm sure that he will enjoy this plane for years.

ORIGINAL: u2fast

this was my 339. i installed a radio in her and waited 6 months for a canopy to fit her . the one that came with the kit had the lexan glued in so crooked it wouldnt fit. i lost interest after waiting so long for a single part. i was going to power her with a titan. i eventually sold the airfram less radio and turbine to rick. i picked him up a canopy and cockpit at top gun last year and gave it to him on the return trip home. he installed the radio and turbine but i heard he had not flown her. i later, after selling mine saw doc rodriquez's come apart in flight at waco late last year. his was powered with a titan. she came apart on flight number 3 while just flying around at 100 or so. no hard manuevers or landings prior. i had a rep (eric clapp) tell me that resins had been changed and that may be the reason for the demise. docs and this one in this thread came most likely from different mfg times as the purchase times were different. doc was told he was going to get a brand new test flown 339 as a replacement. i think he sent them his equipment, but to date, no 339. i do like the fact that wagoner is always around when questions arise, and through his actions, he appears to strive to deliver a good product. but the 339 should be relooked at as 3 now have inflight failures at low flight time and 2 with recomended power plants. my 2 cents, barry
Old 01-27-2008, 08:55 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

some fly wonderful and some fly apart. it was the wonderful part that made me buy one, it was the flying apart that made me glad i sold mine. how lucky i was. barry
Old 01-27-2008, 08:58 PM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

You may want to double check the link to the vid.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:00 PM
RonLongAZ
My Feedback: (29)

The vidio on you tube is the same thing that happened to mine just the same

Ronald R Long
Old 01-27-2008, 09:03 PM
RonLongAZ

Go to you tube click video type in the search rc jet crash and it is listed brand new jet crash
Old 01-27-2008, 09:11 PM
u2fast

thats the one. barry
Old 01-27-2008, 09:14 PM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Ron, I'm floored.. the nose on that jet seemed to be rock solid..
what did you use for weight and where was it positioned..?

I am so sorry to hear about this, I spent many hours building that puppy..

in regards to using a P200.. it may have accounted for using the extra weight in the nose, but I went as far forward as possible to reduce the need for a lot of nose weight, and in addition, I was going to use throttle management to keep it within safe parameters..

I don't think putting the 200 was that much of a detriment?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:23 PM
pbusa1400

Here's one flying with no carbon strips in nose with no problems and still going strong.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0MKi76ItcRM
Old 01-27-2008, 09:27 PM
u2fast

im sure it is, deweys is a solid flyer too, but you cant argue with 3 coming apart in flight. espescially when they were new. barry
Old 01-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Deleted........
Old 01-27-2008, 09:34 PM
Dancobsen

I was flying the plane when it came apart. I had just finished a half reverse cuban at zero throttle on the loop. As I leveled the plane and started to add throttle the nose dissappeared and the plane came to a stop in the air! It was not flying fast!maybe 70mph. I can honestly say, this is the strangest thing I've ever expeirenced in R/C flying. It seems like a design flaw. IMHO I feel bad as it was a test flight for a friend new to the hobby. I'm very interested to know how many other people have had this same experience.
Thanks, Dan
Old 01-27-2008, 09:38 PM
pbusa1400

Wagner tries very hard to keep very good customer service. A simple phone call might have resolved this guys problem. This plane now comes with everything done from factory with no need to worry about anything. the worst part of it is Wagner didnt even sell this kit.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:41 PM
rcjetmodels

im sure it is, deweys is a solid flyer too, but you cant argue with 3 coming apart in flight. espescially when they were new. barry
Barry,

Doc Rodriguez plane, that you have seen in the video, was complete different case from the others, after two wings replacement (the first two DHL did me a favor to smash them on the shipping) I had to order a third pair of wings that came bad ( as you know all the planes are handed made, and the guy that did the wings forgot to remove the wax that they apply in the mold is very clear that the glue that was applied to the wing ribs did not bond ) so we had the wing delamination and the crash as you see in the video, this problem was reported and measures was taken to prevent this to happen again.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:47 PM
RonLongAZ

Wagner,

Are you willing to replace this Kit? I have many Jets and am sure I will be buying Many more. I have hired David Shulman to come in next month to fly 2 of my very expensive jets just to let you know how serious I am about this hobby.

Ronald R Long
Old 01-27-2008, 09:51 PM
pbusa1400

deleted...
Old 01-27-2008, 09:52 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

doc was told he was going to get a brand new test flown 339 as a replacement. i think he sent them his equipment, but to date, no 339.
I built the replacement MB339 for Dr. Rodriguez. His new plane is actually the one pictured in the instruction manual. I talked to him just before the holidays indicating that the plane was finished except for one part, which has since arrived and been installed. Dr. Rodriquez told me there was no hurry, just get it right. He also asked that it be test flown and schedules and weather have not cooperated.

There are MB339's flying fine without carbon fiber reinforcement. It is not necessarily required. As Pablo and Tom point out, each situation requires some level of judgement, however. Putting 3.5 pounds of nose weight and a 49 pound thrust engine in this airplane would suggest to a reasonably experienced builder that a large open canopy area may need additional structural reinforcement. The plane may have come apart in level slow flight, but the damage may have been incurred in the snap or the landing or somewhere else ... we will never know.

I'm not trying to be critical and feel bad for the owner, but I think it is unfair to condemn the aircraft and to imply Wagner has treated the Dr. poorly.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:57 PM
u2fast

wagoner i applaud you for your efforts. as for paul saying wagoner did not sale the kit in question here. it is true, i ordered it at superman with eric clapp, dewey, mike grant, myself and one other. so if saying wagoner didnt sale this one, then in the same sentence you should add that the one you are flying is irrelevent as well since it was from this sale as well. bottom line is, wagoner is a great guy from what i have seen, fei beo is producing a lot of cool models, but this one needs to be revisited. maybe it has, if so an alert needs to be put out for the buyers of the prefixed version before someone gets hurt. barry
Old 01-27-2008, 09:59 PM
u2fast

pilot28, i have never implied that wagoner has treated doc poorly. i think what wagoner did was admirable. i just said the new one hasnt come in yet. doc and i speak frequently and he hasnt complained either. barry
Old 01-27-2008, 10:02 PM
pbusa1400

Barry you have me royaly mistaken I dont own one. but have flown several and rung,em out with no problems.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:08 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pbusa1400

lol!!! bash'em then ask him.

Nice!..............That says a lot for "TEAM FEIBEO".........If it wasn't tragic and true, it would be funny[] Just keep "LOL-ing" and see where your business goes.

Totally low rent operation IMHO.

John
Old 01-27-2008, 10:11 PM
u2fast

my bad, it is jclittle that owns eric's old one. barry ps, myself, doc yates, mike grant, eric clapp and dewy watched ali wring a 339 out at superman and made us all want one. eric put together the deal and we all bought 5 at once. the model flies very graceful and scale. heck i even talked doc rod into buying his. i had him over one evening to show him mine and convinced him to get one. imagine how i felt when his imploded.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:12 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

sorry about the crash bro' but in referencing the CG problem...

I can only assume LiPos were used for battery power because a pair of 3000Mah NiCads would've reduced the ballast requirement significantly. If they did use Nicads then WOW [X(] that's a big motza ball!!

I'm the one Tom Antlfinger is referring to regarding an Olympus powered Boomer (unless there is some other "crazy" pilot out there). It flew great and didn't require any additional ballast as per above power technique. However, I took a common sense approach to throttle management and airplane design capability which helped mitigate the "it just blew" scenario for me.

the MB339 is a big plane, not sure if I wouldn't have done the same, especially if I had an Olympus not being used and on the shelf.

i saw the one go in at the Greater SW Jet Rally in September. whew, it was spectacular and I thought the company replaced the jet or components to it. Barry "u2fast" might have more info

cheerz

buck

Geez I type slow and the answer to my last line has been answered above

ORIGINAL: powerjets

3.5 Lbs to get on CG[X(]??
Old 01-27-2008, 10:13 PM
rcjetmodels

wagoner i applaud you for your efforts. as for paul saying wagoner did not sale the kit in question here. it is true, i ordered it at superman with eric clapp, dewey, mike grant, myself and one other. so if saying wagoner didnt sale this one, then in the same sentence you should add that the one you are flying is irrelevent as well since it was from this sale as well. bottom line is, wagoner is a great guy from what i have seen, fei beo is producing a lot of cool models, but this one needs to be revisited. maybe it has, if so an alert needs to be put out for the buyers of the prefixed version before someone gets hurt. barry
Barry,

You are right, this plane was ordered back in 2006 it was a old model from FB/SM, since them they changed a lot and they continue to change like the reinforcement that now comes standard from the factory, also they replace the balsa wings lamination to Heirex that is very strong and lighter material, the new MB339 right now is 450gr lighter then the previous version and they are working on a new version that will have 100 gr less in the tail this means in a 4/1 that you will need one pound less in the nose to achieve the CG.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Deleted.......
Old 01-27-2008, 10:18 PM
RonLongAZ

Deleted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.