Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

fire procedures

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

fire procedures

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 03:10 AM
hanna
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fire procedures

I was at a jet fly this past weekend and there was a crash with a post crash fire. The fire was put out with little damage. I was wondering if turbines are one serious fire away from AMA ban. That is the last thing I want to happen, I am not trying to start a giant scale gas vs. turbine.... Does the JPO have a procedure for this situation? What are you guys thoughts on what should be done? I do not have a magic solution but when this happened I noticed that the flying did not stop while the fire was contained. Maybe this is a start- All flying stops till the fire is out and use everybody to put the fire out. Respectfully submitted Mike Krizan
Old 04-16-2003, 10:47 AM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Default fire procedures

Mike,

Which fire are you talking about? There were two of them and the second crash happened while I was the only other jet in the air, I made two laps and landed with over half of my flight time remaining. At most events I have attended the norm is not to land immediatley but to not let any more airplanes up until the fire is put out. FWIW I have seen a giant scale gas powered airplane explode on impact as well. Both of the crashes this weekend happened early in the flights and the airplanes had a lot of fuel still on board.

David Reid
Old 04-16-2003, 11:17 AM
MMallory

Default fire procedures

Mike,

If a fire occurs mid runway, it would be a bad thing for everyone to attempt to land immediately. This is why there is a waiver program. To attempt to educate and prepare the users for these occurrences. Common sense is the solution and most jet CD's are more than capable of dealing with the situations as they occur.

Mark
Old 04-16-2003, 02:05 PM
hanna
My Feedback: (3)

Default fire procedures

Fire was on first day and did not happen mid-runway. It was off the south end of the field. I am all for common sense but there were waiver holders there when the fire was burning. Mike K.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:30 PM
MMallory

Default fire procedures

Mike,

The point I was trying to make is.... there are plenty of times where something happens at the field and it is not necessary to ground the planes in the air. Obviously, since there was "little damage", everything was under control. The last thing you would want is a mad rush to land planes while people are crossing the runway. I have been in the air many times when people go to pick up the pieces after a crash, the key is for your spotter to inform you that there is someone out there and for the pilot to fly away from that area until the issue is resolved. If the pilot has an emergency (low on fuel, etc.) the spotter can then call out for a safe, unobstructed, landing.

Common sense seems to have worked in this case. All waiver holders are not, nor should they be, responsible to run out and attend to every incident. If you do a search on this and other forums this topic has been discussed ad nauseam. For now, thank you for your great example of how the current system does work very well.

Also, since you mentioned giant scale gas, the implication is you do want to start a dialog there. What difference does it make how a fire was started? FWIW, the last fire I read about was started by a glow helicopter (read about here on RCU).

Mark
Old 04-16-2003, 02:58 PM
hornet driver
My Feedback: (7)

Default fire procedures

guys

the main reason to stop the flying is RESOURCES........if you have 3 indian water pumps and 1 atv then if another plane went in it would spread out the fire fighting equiptment ( which is usually strained from the existing one as it is) too thin

other reasons are obvious such as a fire where people are crossing the runway in order to put the fire out

btw

i still think there is some product out there where you could unroll ( like roofing felt ) a fire retardant on the downwind side and use indians on the sides to put it out

everyone has seen those sponges that grow to about 10 times the original size when water activated.........something like that with special fire retatdants in it
Old 04-16-2003, 03:00 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Default fire procedures

I have to close this one. Please see another thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...171&forumid=26 if you want to chime in..