Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

Old 04-23-2009, 05:54 AM
Ian Cawthray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

thanks mate i am off to the usa in 7 hrs any good jet shops to check out ?
Old 04-23-2009, 06:18 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: av8rk

to rcguy (dave)...i like your idea of the hinged elevator servo cover.....but if you install the metal heat shield above the turbine, it may or may not interfere with the servo cover.....i would check it out on my model, but i'm not at home...........

Richard
Richard,
Good point. I'll check it out.

Dave
Old 04-23-2009, 06:59 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: B777

I like Dave's front hatch and we will evaluate all comments and suggestion to improve the Reaction ARF.

Thanks, Kraivuth S.
Kraivuth,
The hatch is needed in my opinion. The absolute need for batteries and weight in the nose dictates a hatch. I don't charge my batteries in the jet so easy removal is a must. On another point, I'd move the fin bolt back some to ease access to it during assembly. Maybe 1" or so? You'll need to stay away from the servo arm getting in the way.

Dave
Old 04-23-2009, 07:04 AM
B777

Thanks Dave..we will look into these points.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:35 AM
rcguy!

I've changed out the tank plumbing to use a Sullivan super clunk. It has pleny of "clunk" to it! The taper does seem to fit very well to the bottom of the tank. Nothing wrong with the supplied clunk but this may allow that 30 seconds needed for a go around.....
"No I didn't do any drain and fill tests as I mentioned above."

Dave Rigotti
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80478.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1185728  
Old 04-23-2009, 08:20 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

I've changed out the tank plumbing to use a Sullivan super clunk. It has pleny of "clunk" to it! The taper does seem to fit very well to the bottom of the tank. Nothing wrong with the supplied clunk but this may allow that 30 seconds needed for a go around.....

Dave Rigotti
thats not a clunk

this is a clunk:
one is 17mm and weights 50 grams
other is 20mm and weights about 90 grams

Name:	Om32823.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1185747  
Old 04-23-2009, 08:23 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: digitech

Dave Rigotti
thats not a clunk

this is a clunk:
What's your point?

Dave
Old 04-23-2009, 08:34 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: digitech

Dave Rigotti
thats not a clunk

this is a clunk:
What's your point?

Dave
the point is made of brass[:-]
Old 04-23-2009, 08:43 AM
B777

Supplied brass clunk has a slot notched at the end to prevent fuel blockage against the fuel tank liner. Weight is needed to keep the pickup line at the bottom of the tank Sorry, but I don't see any benefit in replacing it.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:48 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: B777

Supplied brass clunk has a slot notched at the end to prevent fuel blockage against the fuel tank liner. Weight is needed to keep the pickup line at the bottom of the tank Sorry, but I don't see any benefit in replacing it.
From post 543:

Since you've already installed your clunk, I'll throw this idea out. I had been having a hard time draining my fiberglass tank, from day 1. I like to drain the tank after a day's flying so I don't have residual fuel sloshing around... The last 1/4" to 3/8" though, I cannot pump out of the tank. It is therefore, unusable fuel. I in fact started to partially drain my UAT a few flights ago, and while taxiing back from a long flight, my turbine died, while still showing this amount of fuel in the tank.

I've recently replaced the large brass filtered clunk that came with the model, with a Sullivan Super Clunk - whatever it's called, it is more of a large plated cone shape. I can now drain practically all my fuel out, which should increase the amount of fuel that is burnable in flight.

I don't know if others had a similar issue. I think the large dia of the supplied clunk just means the clunk hole is that much farther away from the tank floor.
Seems at least one fella had trouble with the supplied clunk?
Old 04-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

Ian, If you are in the San Jose area, check out Tam. If you are in Florida, check out BVM...
Old 04-23-2009, 04:55 PM
av8rk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to rcguy (dave)....did you get the preformed lead nose weight with your kit?.....it weighs 20 oz.....with all nicad batteries in the nose, and the preformed nose weight, mine balanced perfectly at the aft most position.....at first i was a little intimidated with all of that weight up front in the nose to get it to balance, but as soon as it lifted off on the 1st flight.....well, it was perfect......the aft CG position is great.....i use a P-120 in mine, and it's a great combo.....i would like to see a Reaction ARF with a 60 inch wingspan, and a 2 piece wing, suitable for a P-60 size turbine.....i am the guy that started the removable tail feathers thing for this model on RCU.....i had to make mine removable to get it into my little vehicle......you'll love this model, i think it flys better than the wood version of bruce's.....

Richard
Old 04-23-2009, 06:21 PM
rcguy!

Richard,
Yes the lead nose weight was included. I'll shoot for mid location on the CG.
Thanks for the info!

Dave
Old 04-23-2009, 09:02 PM
rcguy!

All assembled on the bench less servos and P80SE. The 3" nose wheel modification worked out well. The wing leading edge is 1/16" higher than the trailing edge at the moment. Looks kinda nice with the anti-glare paint! The 3 1/4" main wheels fit perfect.

Edit... Forgot to mention I used "Gorilla" glue to attach the brake line clips to the MLG struts. Rough sanded the clips and they are there to stay. I used to use CA and once in a while they would come off.
Dave Rigotti

Name:	Mk27694.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1186150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98144.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1186151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56864.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1186152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77790.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1186153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al72893.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1186154   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx30837.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1186155  
Old 04-24-2009, 02:15 AM
av8rk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dave,
it looks better with the larger nose wheel too.........

Rich
Old 04-24-2009, 06:18 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: av8rk

dave,
it looks better with the larger nose wheel too.........

Rich
Rich,
An easy mod to do especially if you have access to a milling machine and a 1/2" diameter ball nose endmill! No offense to anyone, BUT that 2 5/8" nose wheel looks way too small. It's OK I'm sure for pavement, but not to my liking for grass fields around Ohio. If there is enough interest I'll post a diagram of the exact modification. A few minutes work with a Dremel would also work. Very little material is actually removed. TamJets has the 3" wheel for 3/16" axle at 30 bucks. I just bandsawed off 3/16" from the top of the strut to make everything all the same again.

Dave
Old 04-24-2009, 06:38 PM
rcguy!

Here's a question for the group,
Does anyone have a decent lead to have wing, stab, and fin covers made for the R54 ARF? Anyone have some made for them?
Todd does not stock them and all is quiet from across the pond on another source.
R/C Armour who made the covers for my R44+ is only doing prop covers at this time.
I'm really wanting them custom made for the R54 ARF not any generic type stuff that may or may not fit well.
Thanks
Dave Rigotti
Old 04-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Ehab

I have discussed this issue with B777 and he will be looking into it very soon. I know this does not address your immediate needs, but the covers may be coming from PST...
Old 04-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Sonicwings

Does anyone have a decent lead to have wing, stab, and fin covers made for the R54 ARF? Anyone have some made for them?
Todd does not stock them and all is quiet from across the pond on another source.
R/C Armour who made the covers for my R44+ is only doing prop covers at this time.
I'm really wanting them custom made for the R54 ARF not any generic type stuff that may or may not fit well.
Thanks
Dave Rigotti
Hi Dave,

Yes the German co Pull over do them, http://alshobbies.com/shop/search.ph...ags&NumShow=20

The link is to Al's hobbies pages, there half way down the page, i beleave very nice, and top quality product, intend to get a set for my one also-
Thats the only ones i know off.

Your progress looks great, couple questions for you.
What batterys you going with ???
And what did you use to cut out your front hatch ???

Cheers Jeremy.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:10 PM
rcguy!

Hello Jeremy!

I'm switching to A123 packs this year. I'll run 2pcs 2 cell 2300Mah for the radio via 2 switch harnesses dircetly in the AR9000 RX. NO regulators what so ever. This will give 4600Mah. Probably good for 10 or more flights.
For the ECU I'll run a single 3 cell 2300Mah. "Maybe" a dual pack in parallel, depending on weight needed and Mah used per flight. The P80 SE may be upgraded to kero start in the near future. I asked if anyone had a JetCat with kero start in their R54 ARF with no reply. I'm not sure the kero plug will fit without hacking up the heat shield. :-((

I have enquired about the Pull Over product without response to the link above. Looks like the fin cover will need changes to accomodate the fin tube. It does look like the control horns are putting some stress on the covers 'eh?
I'm not sure what Ehab means by "looking in to it soon" Getting covers later in the Summer or early Fall won't be acceptable as the traveling damage will already be done. If anyone knows of a custom maker please let me know.

The front hatch is cut out with a Dremel tool using a diamond grit cutoff wheel. I found it makes very clean cuts and is very narrow, on the order or .030" [.75mm]. I cover the area with masking tape and then draw the cut lines with a ball point pen. I tape a cheap metal ruler (scale) down to help guide the cut. I usually get 5 or 6 cuts before throwing the ruler away and getting a fresh one, thus the requirement for "cheap". Works out well to keep the lines straight. A few passes with sandpaper and you're done.

Dave Rigotti

Name:	Ki19998.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1186676   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98729.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1186677  
Old 04-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Ehab

In Thailand things "sometimes" take longer than expected so the covers may be a loong wait....

FYI, I use dual batts for the RX and the ECU (PST 1600R and the Jetcat 120SE) and no nose weight at all. I get easily 8-10 flights with plenty of juice left, but I am tired after 8-10 flits...
Old 04-25-2009, 12:33 AM
FILE IFR

P80SE for power if it ever gets here!

Hi Dave.
I think my 80 SE is on the same boat yours is . I called Bob yesterday, he told me the ship's container is in customs.

The purple gems will be here in less than a week.[8D]
Old 04-25-2009, 02:44 AM
cjshaker

I found a nice wing bag for the Reaction 54 wing. Got it from Hobby-Pak. Item# WBS04, 85"x 24.5", $59.99.

http://www.hobby-pak.com/

It fits the Reaction 54 balsa wing, and should also fit the ARF wing. I've got another one for my Balsa Nova 1.20,
and it is a great size for that, too.

Chris Shaker

Thanks
Dave Rigotti
Old 04-25-2009, 05:36 AM
SimjetAU

Hi Dave

How are you going to regulate the A123 for the servos...the max rating for most servos is 6volt and some of the smaller ones are only 4.8. This means fully charged A123 packs will be around 7v which is fine for the RX but what about the servos?. I think you may experience some servo failures unless you put a couple of diodes in the +line to the servos to drop around 1.2 v to bring them back a bit. I have seen a few seros stop operating when used above 6v...considering that the loaded voltage of the packs will be 6.6v most of the time after initial usage

Mark
Old 04-25-2009, 06:05 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: Ehab

In Thailand things "sometimes" take longer than expected so the covers may be a loong wait....

FYI, I use dual batts for the RX and the ECU (PST 1600R and the Jetcat 120SE) and no nose weight at all. I get easily 8-10 flights with plenty of juice left, but I am tired after 8-10 flits...
Ehab,
Thank You for the "update" on the covers. Hopefully no additional nose weight will be necessary! I'm sure the removeable tail mod did add some weight at the farest point away from the CG. I did remove some of the extra epxoy applied and drilled a 1" [25mm] hole in the aft plywood piece. An ounce or 2 adds up.

Dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.