Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:31 PM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

tried that, mine has a small chuck out of one o-ring so it needs to be replaced. maybe PST will have a answer.

Kevin
Old 09-20-2010, 05:46 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 PST brake units... 1 is unused, I can mail it to you or just the rings. I won't use it as I use BVM SS-2.

.... for free
Old 09-20-2010, 05:54 PM
seflyer

can't beat that, I can use the whole valve, I can PP some funds for the trouble if you like.

Kevin
Old 09-20-2010, 06:26 PM
FILE IFR

Kev, I'm not using it.

Got your address from the PM. I'll put it in the mail Wednesday morn.

Keep the money, it's on me.[8D]

It's one of these two... both never used.

Mike T
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90936.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1504337  
Old 09-20-2010, 07:07 PM
seflyer

those are the same as mine, pm sent gonna leave both tanks in the Reaction and see how long it will fly.

thanks again, Kevin
Old 09-22-2010, 09:13 AM
leopaul

I would like you opinion on engine choice between JC Rabbit and JC Cheetah for the Reaction ARF.

I'm more toward the Cheetah (Usefull for larger model later) but i do like the performance and acceleration of the Rabbit and lower price...

Any opinion are appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex
Old 09-22-2010, 10:23 AM
jroth
My Feedback: (60)

Hi,

I have not used a Cheetah or a Rabbit, but a buddy of mine flies his Reaction ARF with a Ram 1000, which is larger, heavier and less power than the Cheetah. He flies pretty fast at half throttle, he only uses full throttle for taking off.

The Cheetah, rated at 32 pounds of thrust and weighing less than 3 pounds does make a very versatile engine for future projects!

You may as well buy both engines, I am sure Eric would make you a deal.

Good Luck,

John
Old 09-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: leopaul

I would like you opinion on engine choice between JC Rabbit and JC Cheetah for the Reaction ARF.

I'm more toward the Cheetah (Usefull for larger model later) but i do like the performance and acceleration of the Rabbit and lower price...

Thanks,
Alex
I used to fly mine with a SuperEagle, similar thrust than the cheetah. It was very impresssive how fast it could fly. However I found it make the plane too heavy. I think the cheetah will be a wonderful combination becuase of the light weight (you will need significanly less weight upfront to get the CG right).
I have a friend who uses the Rabbit. Its an easy going combination and likely better for a beginner.
My vote is the Cheetah.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:16 AM
leopaul

Does it need added nose weight using the Rabbit?
Old 09-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Does it need added nose weight using the Rabbit?
The short nose version came with some weight already for the nose. I needed to add heavy batteries and more weight to mine.

I think the long nose version does not need it.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:28 PM
avicom
My Feedback: (14)

leopaul, in our field there are two reactions (short) nose with rabbit power. I built one of them and I didn't need to install the nose weight included with the kit. I do opened an access hatch up front in order to accommodate the batts all the way in the nose. Like in this one. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_71...29/key_/tm.htm
Old 11-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

I bought a Reaction X with Todd's (Dreamworks) Pro Links Gear set. Immediately after receiving the Gear Set I sent it to Down and Locked for conversion to electric.

I received the retracts back this past Monday and tried fitting them in the plane. The flanges on the Nose wheel retract are longer than the beams in the nose of the Reaction X. In other words, no wood under one pair of holes.

Has anyone else had this problem or did I get the wrong Retract for the nose?

THX

Bob
Old 11-17-2010, 12:30 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Meesh,
I had the SAME issue with the R54 ARF. I drilled two holes that allowed it to be used. Some where in the R54 ARF thread is a good picture I uploaded. Not sure who to blame.....PST or Todd, but the error continues 2 years later?

Update: Post #507 and #536

Dave Rigotti
Old 11-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Dave,

Thanks for that. You saved me a lot of looking!

BRG

Bob
Old 11-17-2010, 12:58 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: rcguy!

Meesh,
I had the SAME issue with the R54 ARF. I drilled two holes that allowed it to be used. Some where in the R54 ARF thread is a good picture I uploaded. Not sure who to blame.....PST or Todd, but the error continues 2 years later?

Update: Post #507 and #536

Dave Rigotti
Maybe "blame" is used incorrectly. Altho by your post, the "error" still exists.

Enjoy the build!

Dave
Old 11-17-2010, 08:22 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Edgar Perez

Thanks,
Alex
I used to fly mine with a SuperEagle, similar thrust than the cheetah. It was very impresssive how fast it could fly. However I found it make the plane too heavy. I think the cheetah will be a wonderful combination becuase of the light weight (you will need significanly less weight upfront to get the CG right).
I have a friend who uses the Rabbit. Its an easy going combination and likely better for a beginner.
My vote is the Cheetah.
I flew my Reaction (serial #22 short nose) with a JC Falcon for the first 30 or so flights 22lbs of thrust. Came off grass ok, and performance was good. The radared speed Using a Stalker Pro was mid 150's. It required the provided the nose weight and a almost another 3/4 pound to smooth out the landing. With the c/g back to far the plane still flew fine but on the landing,even with reduced elevator throw and plenty of expo, the plane would sometimes pitch up a bit and balloon. Getting the c/g forward helped lot with this and only hurts the knife edge some. which is no big deal as it is not big on the knife edge anyway.

I had the opportunity to trade up to a JC Super Eagle, (30 lbs of thrust). I love this motor in this plane, this weekend I just put cycle #123 on the engine since installation, with 102 actual flights. Vertical is much improved, I actually fly a little longer on the same fuel because I found myself WOT with the Falcon in big aerobatics while I am out of the throttle a bit more with the Eagle. I just clocked the plane again this past weekend and speeds are in the mid 180s with no diving at the gun. But I had to add an additional 6 - 8 oz of weight in the nose to compensate for the extra weight of the Eagle to keep the ballooning to a minimum on the landing.

I tell you all that to say this. I would not hesitate one minute to put a new Cheetah in my Reaction. More thrust, Better fuel economy ( I never thought I could get excited over picking up an additional 30 or 60 secs of flying time but that was my pre-turbine experience!) and overall less weight. Figure almost 2 pounds between the lighter engine and not having to put as much weight in the nose.

take care
Mike
Old 11-29-2010, 04:56 AM
raptenium

I just took delivery of mine 2 weeks ago, the orange and white long nose version, I really like the quality of this kit. I bought it direct from PST, ordered on the Thursday and arrived in Australia on Monday, Wow!
I'm relaitevly new to jets, the model seems like its going to be heavyish, but from all accouns here it should fly and land well, hence my reson for buying it. Still waiting on retracts to arrive, apart from that its almost done. Only thing, I'm undecided on installing the air break, interested in anyones opinion, any noticeable difference with this installed? Thanks, great thread lots of good info.

David
Old 11-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Ian Burridge

David,
I didn't bother on mine and having flown it all year I don't think it would make a big difference. The flaps slow it right down to a hover in wind with the shortest run being 25feet from touch down to stop!!
Save yourself the trouble.
Ian.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:08 PM
FILE IFR

I have the airbrake installed in mine. It adds a touch more drag, but it's not significant.

... As far as "saving the trouble" of installing it, I think it was worth the extra 2 or 3 hours work... IMHO.

I am happy I cut in a NACA scoop on it's back deck because I have a smoke tank, I didn't want to starve the engine of air.... I just felt better having the air extra inlet.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:10 AM
mavrick
My Feedback: (1)

HI Mike
I got my Revision about a month ago havn't started the build yet I am waiting for my new K170 Kero start, going to put a flight speed limiter on it. What I am interested in is how you set up the speed brake, did you hook it up with the second stage of flaps. I have a Reaction X with nearly 300 flights on it now, I also cut a Naca in the top of mine and painted it black it really stands out with the Yellow Fuz. It has a K80 in it and I fly of a small grass field it's my every day flier I just love it.
Best Regards
Mav
Old 03-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Knock
My Feedback: (2)

Where can I find Shark mouth decals like this .

Name:	Om33360.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1578196  
Old 03-13-2011, 07:06 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Knock

Where can I find Shark mouth decals like this .
Knock,

Got your PM, but I'll answer here.
Yes that is my reaction in the picture and I had a guy at the local sign shop here in eastern NC do it for me.

the web site is here: http://www.rightonsigns.com/

Email Bernie; the owner here: [email protected]

Tell him that you would like the sharks mouth that he made for mike saleebys' (thats me) turbine last year. He and his main graphics guy Blake, have done several planes for me and keep the graphics on file.

take care,

mike

Old 06-01-2011, 04:45 PM
jbenko
My Feedback: (73)

Hi guys - Just doing the last few things to finish up my Reaction (short nose). I am looking for some input on CG. I've got 2 lbs. of lead shot in the nose and looks like i'll needanother 12 oz. or so to get it to balance at 5 3/4" from leading edge. How many of you are flying with the CG back further? I have a P-120 installed. I have a pair of LiFe 2100mah for receiver and a 5200 Duralite for ECU installed on top of the factory valve tray setup. I wanted to be able to get at them instead of stuffing them in the nose. I guess I could go bigger on the receiver batts. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Also, I currently have the small tank installed but am debating whether to order the larger one. I figured I would set my timer for 4 min. for the first flight and see how it works out. I'mthinking with the 120 installed I'll do most of my flying at 50-70%. Anyone flying their Reaction with a P-120 small tank combo?

Thanls for any ideas I might not have thought of......

Name:	Hf10180.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	1617982  
Old 06-01-2011, 05:43 PM
FILE IFR

Jeff,

I had the short nose a couple of years ago (I have the long nose one now) and I don't remember the exact CG location, but I did have it set at the 'experienced' location (further back)... and it flew and landed very well.

For the batteries on the short version Reaction, I did a mod on the underside of the nose where I cut a hatch into the fuse to mount the batteries... others had done the same with their older versions.
BTW, that heavier engine will have you add more weight to the nose... it's not a problem. My short nose Reaction had a P-80 in it.

You'll love to fly it, it's like flying a .60 sized trainer.

Mike
Old 06-06-2011, 05:30 PM
jbenko
My Feedback: (73)

Hi Mike - thanks for your help. i think my 120 comes in only a bit heavier than the P-80 you had in your short nose Reaction. Do you remember how much weight you ended up with in the nose of yours?It's a bit discouraging to think i'll be flying with 2 lbs, 12oz. nose weight in mine. Just curious about how yours ended up.I am going with the rear recommended balance location.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.