Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

Old 12-28-2012, 05:53 AM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Reaction ARF - PST/BTE All-Composite Sport Jet

ORIGINAL: E.N.T.

Which parameters are you using for crow?

E.N.T.
Hi E.N.T.

Would you like to know how much flap and aileron up movement I am using?

Paul.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:39 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: paulhat

Hi Edgar,

Have watched your video a few times.
It was quite windy on the approach.
Maybe the wind just caught it for a second?
You recovered well and it flew the rest of the landing fine.

Paul.
Hi Paul, I have done about 5 flights and it has done that in all of them. Some of the flights on day without wind. Must be CG and / or too much flap.
Last flight I was unable to recover well. Ended up wheels up and needing a new vertical fin. BTW, got excellent service from Bruce Tharpe. Recommend him 101%!

The following users liked this post:
fiberpro (01-10-2024)
Old 12-28-2012, 07:42 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

sorry double post
Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks to me that the airplane is out of trim. The nose dropped with a small relaxation of up elevator during the approach. Add some more up elevator mix with the full flap position and I bet that helps. To make sure you have the right amount, get the airplane to a decent altitude an slow it down to an approach speed. Add up elevator trim until you can maintain level flight without adding up elevator. After you land, measure the amount of up trim in the elevator and then mix the same amount into the full flap position with your transmitter.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:07 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Paul: yes I would like to now. I'll be giving mine the maiden
most prob. this weekend.

Thanks;

E.N.T.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:18 PM
paulhat

ORIGINAL: tp777fo

Looks to me that the airplane is out of trim. The nose dropped with a small relaxation of up elevator during the approach. Add some more up elevator mix with the full flap position and I bet that helps. To make sure you have the right amount, get the airplane to a decent altitude an slow it down to an approach speed. Add up elevator trim until you can maintain level flight without adding up elevator. After you land, measure the amount of up trim in the elevator and then mix the same amount into the full flap position with your transmitter.

Hi Tom,

Another way you could do this is to run a separate flight condition for landing and just trim this condition. That way you dont have to do any guessing with mixes after you land. That's what I do on my Futaba.

Regards,

Paul.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:23 PM
paulhat

most prob. this weekend.

Thanks;

E.N.T.
Hi E.N.T.

I have 10mm of up on my crow and 40mm down on flap.
For take off I have no crow and 25mm of flap.

Paul.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:31 AM
number27

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maiden Flight for my 2nd Reaction Long Nose Orange/White tomorrow 1/1/13.

Kingtech 140F, Running on diesel and DTE light, Electron ER40 retracts first time to use them and Tornado Electric Brakes upgrade to Electron brakes when they arrive. No air leaks possible. How many touch and go's can one do now.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:59 AM
DENTO

ORIGINAL: number27

Kingtech 140F, Running on diesel and DTE light, Electron ER40 retracts first time to use them and Tornado Electric Brakes upgrade to Electron brakes when they arrive. No air leaks possible. How many touch and go's can one do now.
BEST OF LUCK NO 27 ON THE MAIDEN
REGARDS
Old 01-12-2013, 05:51 PM
paulhat

Hey Number27.

How did the maiden go?
I have just installed a set of electron brakes in my Ultra Flash. These things are amazing!!

Paul.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:52 PM
number27

maiden went fantastic. gear up gear down. never have to worry bout air or whether it is loaded in the trailer for next time. have ordered another set er50's for my next project a eurofighter.

not used to the scale speed of the up and down as yet. no more slam open or slam shut with the air.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Ozmodeller

most prob. this weekend.

Thanks;

E.N.T.
Hi E.N.T.

I have 10mm of up on my crow and 40mm down on flap.
For take off I have no crow and 25mm of flap.

Paul.
Paul are you using any elevator compensation at all with that crow/flap mix?

Peter
Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 AM
paulhat

Hi Peter,

I have elevator mixed in with that flight condition.
Um I think its down elevator. Cant remember right now.
In any case its not much.
That probably doesnt help that much. I will measure it next time I have it together.

Paul.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 AM
paulhat

maiden went fantastic. gear up gear down. never have to worry bout air or whether it is loaded in the trailer for next time. have ordered another set er50's for my next project a eurofighter.

not used to the scale speed of the up and down as yet. no more slam open or slam shut with the air.
Good to hear mate.

The Electron retracts are amazing. Have go them on the UF and they work great!!

Paul.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:25 PM
DrYankum
My Feedback: (11)

Anyone have any idea where on the wing tips the cg is. Trailing edge would be a good starting point. So how far forward measured from the trailing edge on the wing tips is the cg?

Thank

Jerry
Old 02-18-2013, 02:19 AM
number27

Installed the electron brakes over the weekend and tested great, they are fantastic compliment to the Electron ER40's. Prolink Oleo's the weak link in the system. The twisting of the legs , e clips come off bolts come loose. etc. Looking for alternatives.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:19 PM
DENTO

Nice reaction pictures there mate.

Just wanted to report on my experience using crow breaking on the reaction.
Tried crow for the first time today and did 8 landings with crow active.

Here are my initial observations -

Definately helped to slow the model down. I had zero wind blowing and touching down where I wanted seemed easier.
Aileron sensitivity was decreased by about 50%. I think it would be good to reduce expo in the landing condition (this is the condition I have crow on).
Elevator sensitivity was also decreased. Maybe by about 30%. This caught me out a little at first and I ended up over correcting a bit. After a few flights had it sorted.

Overall I think crow works great. With a bit of fine tuning it should help alot here. We have hardly any wind in the mornings which is when I usually fly.

On another note I now have 40 litres of diesel through the K140. I am using mobil DTE light oil. The reason I am trying diesel is that its so hard to get jet fuel where I am living.
I am pretty pleased with the performance really. Starts take a bit longer and when you shut down there is a bit of white smoke. Apart from that it runs perfect. I was really worried that
there would be that horrible diesel smell but its actually quite the opposite. Hardly any smell at all. One thing I would say, if you are thinking of running diesel, make sure you try it on the bench first.
The ECU default parameters work fine with kero but not with diesel. You will get a mighty big flame out the back at startup on default parameters.

Lightningmcnulty posted these parameters in the Ultra Flash build thread. They work great. Perfect starts every time.

I heard that some guys are sturggling to get a good diesel start working so I thought i'd post my parameters here

Here are the parameters as you scroll through the start menu

Auto start 2, pump start ramp 7, glow plug power 7.5, starter power at ignition 140, starter power at ramp 160, rpm starter power 15000, rpm ignition k 3.000rpm, pump PW at ignition 014, engine min flow 19%, egt end preheat 100c, rpm preheat k 5.000 rpm, rpm fuel ramp k 6.000 rpm, fuel preheat 20%,

you really need a 9.9v life battery for this, its important that you allow the fuel and turbine to really get up to temp before it starts adding large amounts of fuel.

Make sure you test all this on a stand before putting it in a jet or you could end up with a crispy exhaust pipe

another thing that is really important is to restrict the air that is blowing through the turbine on pre-heat, if you allow air to blow through it will put the flame out, when on your test stand keep it side on to the wind and once in the jet cover the intakes with your hands until your out of pre-heat.

with these settings expect it to take 30seconds to start.

Kim

Regards,

Paul.
HI Paul
Just something a little bit different would crow work on a large J-3 CUB or do you have to have flaps, The cub has no flaps so wonder if it would work,maybe have the ails down would that increce lift
REGARDS JOHN
Old 03-07-2013, 02:02 AM
paulhat

Hi John.

To be honest I dont know what would happen if you put up ailerons on a Cub.
I guess you could try down and see what happens. Dont see why down aileron wouldn't work.
Guess you would have to mix a bit of down elevator in.

Give it a go

Paul.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:05 AM
paulhat

Hi Number27,

I have 2 sets of Prolinks and both do the same as yours. Clip comes off and bolt starts to work its way out.
Jet 1-A's that Digitech used to make (well I dont think he makes them anymore) are awesome.
If you find a good alternative I would like to hear about it.

Regards,

Paul.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Julien68

Hello I am French,
I am in the process of mounting the X Reaction tank with 3.8l, retractable landing gear and brake Pst. I told him up a turbine jet-munt VT80.
I can ask if I can trust the instructions and clearances for the components?
I'll have to add lead (much) to get the CG to 15cm.
Thanking you and wishing you good flight to France!
Julien
Old 03-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Ozmodeller

Just joined all you Reactionaries, test flew my all yellow long nose version yesterday in a wind that would blow a dog off a chain, flew very well reminded me of my pattern models very smooth (even in the wind) very minor aileron and elevator trim corrections required. Powered by a Kingtech 140, Pro Link retracts, JR 8911 servos, DX18QQ Tx and lots of Intairco goodies, looking forward to some more flying with the model and experimenting with flap settings (maybe even crow). Appears that there is a diversity of flap recommendations here, I am able to achieve up to 90 degrees movement, according to Ali this is what he used; any thoughts?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:26 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm flying mine with a VT-80. Flies really smooth, trainer type.
If you want a Sunday flier, this is it. BUT floats like HELL.
Had to use 90 degrees flaps with elevator, as Ali said.
Do not expect a rocket with this engine.
I like it that way.

ENT
Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 AM
macmuz

Hi Number27,

I have 2 sets of Prolinks and both do the same as yours. Clip comes off and bolt starts to work its way out.
Jet 1-A's that Digitech used to make (well I dont think he makes them anymore) are awesome.
If you find a good alternative I would like to hear about it.

Regards,

Paul.
Hey there.

Tony at Trim Air is now making trailing link struts.
There not on his website but he is starting to make them.

Hope this helps.
Mario..
Old 03-18-2013, 10:08 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Installed the electron brakes over the weekend and tested great, they are fantastic compliment to the Electron ER40's. Prolink Oleo's the weak link in the system. The twisting of the legs , e clips come off bolts come loose. etc. Looking for alternatives.
According to our records, Looks like we have just over 475 sets of the Reaction size leg in the market at this time. We also use this main leg on the Turbinator ARF. Legs twisting would not be a problem related to the Pro-Link strut unit, this issue would be retract related. The strut is secured in our Pro-Link retract by clamping the strut (strut rotation has never been an issue); if using a set-screw retention system you need to dimple or flat spot the strut so the set screw gets a solid surface to rest against. This is the first I have heard of E-Clips coming off on their own from any customer!? They are spring steel and take a sold push to get them on/off. Unless they are hitting something in the airframe, I cant fathom how they can be popping off on their own? Their only purpose is if a screw did loosen, they cant back out more than a half turn. As for screws loosing.... you must use blue loctite on the pivot screw! We suggest you check the pivot shoulder bolt tightness every 15-20 flights (should also be checking wheel/axle lubrication at this interval), wheel vibration can cause them to work loose. If flying of grass, it is good practice to check them every 10 flights or so; dirt and dust can work between the pivot bore creating rotational friction to help loosen the screw. The nature of the design, one side will want to loosen the bolt with the flex of the strut. Threadlock is required to keep them from working themselves loose.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:24 AM
paulhat

Thanks for the information Todd.
I will make sure everything is loctite'd.

Paul..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.