Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Crazy A320 crosswind wing scrape go around

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Crazy A320 crosswind wing scrape go around

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 06:32 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Crazy A320 crosswind wing scrape go around

wow [X(]

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...urg-storm.html
Old 03-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Rider-60
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crazy A320 crosswind wing scrape go around

Wow they are lucky! I guess the pilot can claim for new underwear...
Old 03-02-2008, 07:34 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

and a new job.....how can they risk the lives of so many poeple, when they know there is so much crosswind.....
Old 03-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Scott Douglas

Wouldn't want to be in charge of cleaning the seats in the passenger cabin after that one [:'(]

Regards
Scott
Old 03-02-2008, 10:04 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: SJN

and a new job.....how can they risk the lives of so many poeple, when they know there is so much crosswind.....
Actually, the wind wasn't that great a risk when the airplane is properly flown.... but someone was evidently having a bad day at the office.

Regards, don ray (a300 capt)
Old 03-02-2008, 10:37 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

ORIGINAL: highhorse

ORIGINAL: SJN

Actually, the wind wasn't that great a risk when the airplane is properly flown.... but the technique displayed in the vid completely and totally SUCKED. Very poor aviating.

Regards, don ray (a300 capt)
hafta agree with that one. he left the upwind wing get high, and as soon as that happened, it was all over.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:03 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

So why would you change fro a crab to a slip that low to the runway? The famous 747 landing in Hong Kong results from the same thing. Why would you not get the upwind wing down and the nose aligned with the runway sooner? He kicked the rudder to align the nose and it caused the airplane to roll - duh! Switch to a slip when you cross the fence and then if it doesn't work out, you can go around from much higher, right?

Bob
Old 03-02-2008, 11:55 AM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

The actual crosswind component was really only 25 knots or so...so it was no big deal. Piss poor pilot techniques is all it was...he blew it.

Some days you get the bull...others the bull gets you.

B

Old 03-02-2008, 12:02 PM
bevar

The reason you do not align sooner is because when you cross control spoiler panels begin to deploy on the upwind wing and coupling that with the increased drag of the rudder being deflected (they are very large) you end up with a giant sink rate and unless you catch it...will end up in the lights.

The "alignment maneuver" is done just prior to touchdown.

Beave
BA-3100, SF-340, DC-9, B-727, B-737, B-757, B-767

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

So why would you change fro a crab to a slip that low to the runway? The famous 747 landing in Hong Kong results from the same thing. Why would you not get the upwind wing down and the nose aligned with the runway sooner? He kicked the rudder to align the nose and it caused the airplane to roll - duh! Switch to a slip when you cross the fence and then if it doesn't work out, you can go around from much higher, right?

Bob
Old 03-02-2008, 12:15 PM
etibedossa

Hello,
I am Captain on Airbus 320 for Air France,and I think it's very easy to criticize the pilots when you you are behind your TV!Maybe the cross wind was only about 25 knots(on Airbus 320 max constant cross wind is 33kts for landing)but it's is clear that these german guys encountered a severe gust during flare.Anyway Lufthansa pilots are not known as bad pilots and I don't think we can make statements about their abilities or why they didn't divert without having solid and real facts!
Best regards from Europe!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:40 PM
turbo-enzo

You are completely right. I`d never criticize pilot`s work when I don`t know the facts. This video is very impressive and of course it was an extreme situation. But I don`t know the actual windspeed / gusts and direction and other relevant facts during this incident.
and I´m glad, that I wasn`t in charge.
Regards from another 320 CPT
Old 03-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

check this one out

some sore backs after this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=z2A7pgdWHYs
Old 03-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Synthetic
My Feedback: (18)

That's a landing...

What about this take off ? [X(]

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=629_1183153555
Old 03-02-2008, 01:20 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Synthetic

That's a landing...

that was a test.....
as seen on discovery .
i believe they where setting minimum take off speed.
and screwed about 2 skid plates of 15cm of steel.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:23 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

That's a landing...

Airbus A380 is testing the effects of minimum velocity takeoff.
Result: tailstrike and burned fuselage.[8D]
Old 03-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Synthetic

It's a pretty neat video. It looks as if it does not have enough airspeed when it first rotates and then the massive engines just shove it up into the air. That is quite impressive..
Don
Old 03-02-2008, 01:27 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It's a pretty neat video. It looks as if it does not have enough airspeed when it first rotates and then the massive engines just shove it up into the air. That is quite impressive..
Don

if you look good
you see it hang on the fuselage , tail vibrating
as soon the nose was about 100 ft in the air the pilot used nose down to get the tail of the ground.
i guess it is CG manouvering
Old 03-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Synthetic

Yea, I saw the tail vibrating and moving around. Kinda scary...
Old 03-02-2008, 02:49 PM
highhorse

edited by Highhorse
Old 03-02-2008, 03:02 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: bevar

The actual crosswind component was really only 25 knots or so...so it was no big deal. Piss poor pilot techniques is all it was...he blew it.

B

bevar,
Just wondering how you know the crosswind component was only 25kts? Did you read some official report on this incident?
Old 03-02-2008, 04:50 PM
bevar

Yep.

>>the wind wind was 300/30G50 kts. Crosswind component roughly 15 Gusting 25 Kts. Runway was 33.<<

Beave

ORIGINAL: causeitflies-RCU

B

bevar,
Just wondering how you know the crosswind component was only 25kts? Did you read some official report on this incident?
Old 03-02-2008, 05:09 PM
highhorse

The reason you do not align sooner is because when you cross control spoiler panels begin to deploy on the upwind wing and coupling that with the increased drag of the rudder being deflected (they are very large) you end up with a giant sink rate and unless you catch it...will end up in the lights.

Beave

Bob
While I myself am comfortable making the change in the flare, some others are not. Many of my F/O's elect to "set it up" farther back on the approach and I have never, ever, felt like we were going to "end up in the lights" !! Conversely, Beave, don't you think that the technique ( not to be confused with procedure ) preferred by you and me actally leaves a thinner margin for error since we're displacing spoilers and rudder at 20 feet rather than 100 or 200?
Old 03-02-2008, 05:11 PM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Easy to criticise, you guys, very easy. But we all know that landing in STEADY crosswinds, even very strong X-winds, is no big deal at all. Rapidly changeing strong gusts coupled with turbulence are quite another matter, as a 747f found out landing at Manchester early Sat morning. At least two pods scraped.
Regards, David Gladwin.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:22 PM
bevar

Bob,

Oh sure...I agree on the difference between tecnieques and procedures. All jet's are different (I know you know that...just adding it for the sake of those who might not understand that). In the 75, you can cross it up and align at 100' or so and it's no big deal...do that in the 737-800 and it's so long Charlie. The Super-80...you do it at the last second too...at least that's the way they taught me and it seems to work.

I guess I mis-spoke in my prior post on the "technique"...I should have said it seems that it just got away from them...it was not "piss poor". I've rolled it on in the worst weather you could imagine...then really crunched it on in the best weather you could ever ask for...hence the "some days you get the bull...some days the bull gets you".

Beave

ORIGINAL: highhorse

Beave

Bob
While I myself am comfortable making the change in the flare, some others are not. Many of my F/O's elect to "set it up" farther back on the approach and I have never, ever, felt like we were going to "end up in the lights" !! Conversely, Beave, don't you think that the technique ( not to be confused with procedure ) preferred by you and me lactally leaves a thinner margin for error since we're displacing spoilers and rudder at 20 feet rather than 100 or 200?
Old 03-02-2008, 05:40 PM
highhorse

I've rolled it on in the worst weather you could imagine...then really crunched it on in the best weather you could ever ask for...hence the "some days you get the bull...some days the bull gets you".
Word, my friend! Been there!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.