Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Region problem of Futaba 2.4GHz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Region problem of Futaba 2.4GHz

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:03 PM
MV99
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Region problem of Futaba 2.4GHz

ORIGINAL: i3dm

Guys,

for those of you who are interested - i think i still might have a solution (as i told Likai) and you can contact me to get all the details.
Hi i3dm,

Can we communicate thru my yahoo email account ------> [email protected]?

Once we are linked by email, we can exchange skype account and discuss if it is convinient for you. Thanks a lot!!!

Mitch
Old 03-11-2008, 01:16 PM
MV99

ORIGINAL: TommyWatson

I can't take any credit for this. I got all the info from this site.

http://www.rcfan.com/radios.html

All of the software is there and the instructions also.

Th one I used was in the FX40 section and was headed 1/24/2007.

The basic procedure is:-
You need to "Downgrade" your 14MZ to make it think it is a FX40 using the FX40 Update program. This is done the same way as the 14MZ upgrade.

Then run the FX40 UTIL program. this will allow you to change the Region code.

Be careful it will also let you reset everything. I actually zeroed my stick and got no servo movement, then I had to go through the calibration procedure. I learnt a lot that night.

Once you have changed the region code, you can do the latest 14MZ upgrade (2008_01_08_T14MZ_Ver120) and you are done.

As he says on the web site, you do this at your own risk. I am sure that Futaba won't fix any stuff ups.

I used two memory cards so I would not get confused.

I kept the latest 14MZ on one card and the Robbe FX40 on another along with the Util program.

As I said, it worked OK for me, but do it at your own risk. I sugges you read carefully through the whole site.

Post your results.

Regards
Hi tommy,

I have read thru the manual of the test utility program.

** The manual instructs to push "S2" button when turning on power for 10 secconds to initiate the program.
** In earlier section in manual, it instructs to push "3D button" (Which I think is same as the rotory button on 14MZ) to start the update program.

** This looks like it requires different procedure to start "Test Utility program" compared to "update program". Can you help me out to confirm wheather the "S2" button is the same "3D" button or not? If not, what is the equivalent button on 14MZ?

Thanks a lot!!!

Mitch
Old 03-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Likai

ORIGINAL: MV99

ORIGINAL: TommyWatson

I can't take any credit for this. I got all the info from this site.

http://www.rcfan.com/radios.html

All of the software is there and the instructions also.

Th one I used was in the FX40 section and was headed 1/24/2007.

The basic procedure is:-
You need to "Downgrade" your 14MZ to make it think it is a FX40 using the FX40 Update program. This is done the same way as the 14MZ upgrade.

Then run the FX40 UTIL program. this will allow you to change the Region code.

Be careful it will also let you reset everything. I actually zeroed my stick and got no servo movement, then I had to go through the calibration procedure. I learnt a lot that night.

Once you have changed the region code, you can do the latest 14MZ upgrade (2008_01_08_T14MZ_Ver120) and you are done.

As he says on the web site, you do this at your own risk. I am sure that Futaba won't fix any stuff ups.

I used two memory cards so I would not get confused.

I kept the latest 14MZ on one card and the Robbe FX40 on another along with the Util program.

As I said, it worked OK for me, but do it at your own risk. I sugges you read carefully through the whole site.

Post your results.

Regards
Hi tommy,

I have read thru the manual of the test utility program.

** The manual instructs to push "S2" button when turning on power for 10 secconds to initiate the program.
** In earlier section in manual, it instructs to push "3D button" (Which I think is same as the rotory button on 14MZ) to start the update program.

** This looks like it requires different procedure to start "Test Utility program" compared to "update program". Can you help me out to confirm wheather the "S2" button is the same "3D" button or not? If not, what is the equivalent button on 14MZ?

Thanks a lot!!!

Mitch
I follow the manual install "FX-40 update program"" then insert CF-card of "test utility program", but when I turn the power on the "test utility program" starts automatically withou pushing any button. After set "area" to "America" and "sticks, buttons, switches" calibrate and complete every other procedure these listed on manual, I reload the latest 14MZ update program and my planes setting.
Now, the 2.4Ghz module is working, all sticks and trims are same as before but all switches and sliders are calibrated incorrect. Using "DIAL MONITOR" that I find all switches and silders can just reach 100% signal in one side and the other side only 5~20%. Any one knows what"s happened?[:@][:@]
Old 03-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Likai

Hi all
I retry whole procedure again and find that I have some problem of switches, sliders & rotors calibration. I can find almost every 14MZ switch, slider & rotor in FX-40 calibration program but simply can not find "SS2" and because I can not find "SS2" so I can not complete calibration procedure correctly. Any body knows where is "SS2"?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 PM
MV99

[/quote]
I follow the manual install "FX-40 update program"" then insert CF-card of "test utility program", but when I turn the power on the "test utility program" starts automatically withou pushing any button. After set "area" to "America" and "sticks, buttons, switches" calibrate and complete every other procedure these listed on manual, I reload the latest 14MZ update program and my planes setting.
Now, the 2.4Ghz module is working, all sticks and trims are same as before but all switches and sliders are calibrated incorrect. Using "DIAL MONITOR" that I find all switches and silders can just reach 100% signal in one side and the other side only 5~20%. Any one knows what"s happened?[:@][:@]
[/quote]

Hi Likai,

Did Utility program require you go thru the whole test instead of just go into program and only change the region?

My guess is that, because FX has different configuration on switches and sliders than 14MZ, when you did calibration on 14MZ with FX's utility program, the calibration job was not done and mapped correctly.

Therefore, even afterward you did update the computer with 14MZ's update file, but the incorrected calibration was not fixed by 14MZ's update file. I think "update file" does not have fuction to do calibration.

I am from Kaohsiung too. If you have time and do not mind we talking, please let me know your Skype account thru my yahoo mail account ======> [email protected].

Best regards,

Mitch
Old 03-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Likai

[/quote]

Hi Likai,

Did Utility program require you go thru the whole test instead of just go into program and only change the region?

My guess is that, because FX has different configuration on switches and sliders than 14MZ, when you did calibration on 14MZ with FX's utility program, the calibration job was not done and mapped correctly.

Therefore, even afterward you did update the computer with 14MZ's update file, but the incorrected calibration was not fixed by 14MZ's update file. I think "update file" does not have fuction to do calibration.

I am from Kaohsiung too. If you have time and do not mind we talking, please let me know your Skype account thru my yahoo mail account ======> [email protected].

Best regards,

Mitch

[/quote]
Use this e-mail address, you can find my Skype account
[email protected]
Old 03-13-2008, 10:32 AM
mdyair

Hello to all!

I'm from Russia, Moscow.

I've the same problem. 14MZ (Europe, 40MHz) doesn't work with new TM14.
Yesterday i've send the request to Futaba service-center, but no answer.
I don't know what can I do (there is no Futaba service in Russia).
I don't know what is the right way to buy true TM14. TM14 don't have regional codding on the order!

Bad work

Thank's
Old 03-14-2008, 02:27 AM
SpiderJets

There's also another solution : change the region code of the TM-14 to your very TX. Some people have hacked the software already and are now able to change the TX modules to work with ANY region code.

I haven't followed the thread lately, so do not know the latest status, but here's the link : http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=43590
Old 03-17-2008, 12:34 PM
mdyair

Hello, Spider Jets!
Thank you for your answer.
I prefer to fly, but not to correct Futaba mistake (fraud?).
Michael
Old 03-19-2008, 01:10 PM
MV99

ORIGINAL: mdyair

Hello to all!

I'm from Russia, Moscow.

I don't know what is the right way to buy true TM14. TM14 don't have regional codding on the order!

Bad work

Thank's
Hi Mdyair,

I have just followed Tommy's suggestion (Many thanks to Tommy and another friend --- Kai) in Post #19 on page 1 in this thread to successfully change region code from Taiwan to America. Now my 14MZ is working with TM14 I purchased from Tower Hobby.

The whole process took less than 5 miniutes. One thing to be noted, there will be a battery low warning sound when engaging the FX test utility program. As long as you have enough charge in the battery before you do this procedure, you can ignore the warning sound. In my case, the true battery capacity was still around 84% after completion of code changing.

The other important thing is that ===> Make sure you "do not" use the calibration function for switch and slider due to switch count mis-match between 14MZ and FX!!! My suggestion is better just use the test utility program only to change region code to keep things simple and then turn the Tx power off to save new region code. Right after this, you can update the latest 14MZ firmware and off you go......your 14MZ will be matched with the TM14 with America region code.

Hope this will be helpful to you!

Mitch
Old 03-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Likai

ORIGINAL: mdyair

Hello to all!

I'm from Russia, Moscow.

Bad work

Thank's
Hi Mdyair,

I have just followed Tommy's suggestion (Many thanks to Tommy and another friend --- Kai) in Post #19 on page 1 in this thread to successfully change region code from Taiwan to America. Now my 14MZ is working with TM14 I purchased from Tower Hobby.

The whole process took less than 5 miniutes. One thing to be noted, there will be a battery low warning sound when engaging the FX test utility program. As long as you have enough charge in the battery before you do this procedure, you can ignore the warning sound. In my case, the true battery capacity was still around 84% after completion of code changing.

The other important thing is that ===> Make sure you "do not" use the calibration function for switch and slider due to switch count mis-match between 14MZ and FX!!! My suggestion is better just use the test utility program only to change region code to keep things simple and then turn the Tx power off to save new region code. Right after this, you can update the latest 14MZ firmware and off you go......your 14MZ will be matched with the TM14 with America region code.

Hope this will be helpful to you!

Mitch
Good job, Mitch[sm=thumbs_up.gif]. Unfortunately, I did that calibration procedure already and now I have to send my Tx back to Futaba center for fixing the problem that I posted in this thread.[:@][:@]
Old 03-20-2008, 07:33 AM
B777

Hi Guys,

I took the risk. But fortunately, I've managed to successfully converted my "ASIA" Futaba 14MZ to run on USA T14MZ module and 6014FS Rx that I bought from Tower.

Procedures:

1. Format your CF Card and extract the FX40 files to the card.
2. Transfer the files in the FX40 Update software and FX40 Test program folders to the CF Card root directory.
3. With TX OFF, insert the CF Card
4. Click the Utility program switch (right next to the CF card slot) to the up position
5. Turn ON TX and activate the update program
6. When done, reset the utility switch and turn off TX
7. Study the PDF file in the test program folder so you know how to move the sticks and buttons for calibration.
8. Turn on TX again and the Test program should run automatically or activated by holding down the S2 button (left of the rotary knob at the bottom of screen) for more than 10 seconds. Mine runs automatically.
9. High pitch side tone will sound during the test. Get an ear plug!!
10. Run thru all the test options especially the Area change (change to "America"), Mode I or II choice, Trim/sticks calibration, and yes, don't forget to input the 8 digits Product code (under your TX) as well.
11. Remember to do the RESET ALL at the end of the procedure as instructed in the PDF file. This set your TX to what were done during the test.
12. Turn OFF TX.
13. Reformat your CF card again and extract the latest US 14MZ 2.4GHz update from www.2.4gigahertz.com to the card.
14. Run the update as before.
15. Once done, you will have 2.4GHZ 14MZ !!!
16. BTW, sadly to say that your previous model programs will need to be redone as they are no longer compatible.
17. I checked all the functions and they are all working properly.

The TX will not work properly if you do not do the sticks calibration.

BTW, disregard the display that you may see after updating the FX40 program. This will be rectified after the test program and installing the US 14MZ update.

Cheers,
B777
Old 03-20-2008, 08:21 AM
Likai

ORIGINAL: B777

Hi Guys,

I took the risk. But fortunately, I've managed to successfully converted my "ASIA" Futaba 14MZ to run on USA T14MZ module and 6014FS Rx that I bought from Tower.

Procedures:

1. Format your CF Card and extract the FX40 files to the card.
2. Transfer the files in the FX40 Update software and FX40 Test program folders to the CF Card root directory.
3. With TX OFF, insert the CF Card
4. Click the Utility program switch (right next to the CF card slot) to the up position
5. Turn ON TX and activate the update program
6. When done, reset the utility switch and turn off TX
7. Study the PDF file in the test program folder so you know how to move the sticks and buttons for calibration.
8. Turn on TX again and the Test program should run automatically or activated by holding down the S2 button (left of the rotary knob at the bottom of screen) for more than 10 seconds. Mine runs automatically.
9. High pitch side tone will sound during the test. Get an ear plug!!
10. Run thru all the test options especially the Area change (change to "America"), Mode I or II choice, Trim/sticks calibration, and yes, don't forget to input the 8 digits Product code (under your TX) as well.
11. Remember to do the RESET ALL at the end of the procedure as instructed in the PDF file. This set your TX to what were done during the test.
12. Turn OFF TX.
13. Reformat your CF card again and extract the latest US 14MZ 2.4GHz update from www.2.4gigahertz.com to the card.
14. Run the update as before.
15. Once done, you will have 2.4GHZ 14MZ !!!
16. BTW, sadly to say that your previous model programs will need to be redone as they are no longer compatible.
17. I checked all the functions and they are all working properly.

The TX will not work properly if you do not do the sticks calibration.

BTW, disregard the display that you may see after updating the FX40 program. This will be rectified after the test program and installing the US 14MZ update.

Cheers,
B777
Hello B777
Yes, you can calibrate sticks without any problem but the major problem is "SW/VR calibration". I can not find out which device is "SS2" and an error message will be displayed because of "SW/VR calibration" is not completed.
Would you please help me to find out which device is "SS2"?
Old 03-20-2008, 07:36 PM
B777

SS2 is inside the TX for FX40. (Take a look at the PDF file that comes with the Test Program) Futaba 14MZ does not have this switch. I just simply ignore the SW/VR that are not on the MZ. I just focus on the main SW/VR and the L & R sticks.

You must follow the instructions as listed in the PDF file carefully especially during Trim, SW/VR, Sticks calibration.

Good luck..B777

Old 03-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Likai

SS2 is inside the TX for FX40. (Take a look at the PDF file that comes with the Test Program) Futaba 14MZ does not have this switch. I just simply ignore the SW/VR that are not on the MZ. I just focus on the main SW/VR and the L & R sticks.

You must follow the instructions as listed in the PDF file carefully especially during Trim, SW/VR, Sticks calibration.

Good luck..B777

Thank you B777. I just don't understand why you can calibrate some SW/VR that you want and Ignore the others. In my case, if I ignore "SS2", I can complete "neutral" and ""wide" without any problem but in step "narrow" the error message will be displayed ,that because the utility program finds the value of "SS2" not changed properly in whole calibration procedure and thinks this is an error condition.
Please check travel of all your switches/rotarys/sliders in "Linkage Menual/Dial Mornitor" to see if all travel can reach 100% each sides.

Best Regards
Old 03-20-2008, 09:31 PM
B777

I didn't notice any specific requirement for the SS2 switch calibration. I just move all 14MZ SW/VR according to the instruction.

My 14MZ is behaving normally. The only drawback that I see is that my previous model settings are no longer matched with the new program. This is no problem with reprogramming though.

Try again....B777

Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Likai

Thanks B777, I'll try again.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:01 PM
747drvr
My Feedback: (5)

I didn't notice any specific requirement for the SS2 switch calibration. I just move all 14MZ SW/VR according to the instruction.

My 14MZ is behaving normally. The only drawback that I see is that my previous model settings are no longer matched with the new program. This is no problem with reprogramming though.

Try again....B777

What settings are no longer matched ? I used that utility on my radio to fix an issue that Futaba caused during the last service ( mode 2 was switched to mode 1) and I have a few funny bugs now . I wasn't able to do the calibration of the switches etc because I got a " neutral error " . Now all my switches only command + or - 87% and my LST/RST sliders do not give full range . Could you cross reference the swiches and sliders for me please . I'll give it another try []

Marc
Old 03-31-2008, 07:33 PM
B777

HI,

I couldn't use the previous program settings after the 2.4G update, they move in different travels. I started a new model and assign new parameters to all the switches and that solved the problem. All parameters are now functioning normally. From this, its like starting from a fresh radio and reprogram all models.

Somehow I didn't get any error or bugs during/after the calibrations. I just follow the direction...

Good luck. B777
Old 05-09-2008, 01:52 AM
sam.s.man

Hi,
I have a 12FGH Taiwan spec. Problem with TM14 module I bought from Hong Kong. Does this program with the 12FGH?
Old 05-09-2008, 01:58 AM
sam.s.man

Hi all,
I have a Taiwan spec 12FGH. Problem with TM14 module I bought from Hong Kong. Does this SW work with 12FGH as well?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Likai

No, it is for 14MZ only.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:47 PM
sam.s.man

I have another problem...
My 12FG was converted from TAIWAN ('88') region to ASIA ('8A'). The original area code was 88 then I changed it to 8A. Yes, it works..but when I took away the '8' to make the area code either '08' or '0A' or any other area code, it does not work. The reason why I need the area code without the MSB bit (80) is, I have a 2.4G module that only works with '0A' area code NOT '8A'...Funny, both are ASIA region code, but it doesn't work...

Any idea how to tackle this problem? Pls help...
Old 04-03-2023, 08:45 AM
teremel
My Feedback: (1)

Default FX 40 utility

Hello ,I need help,samebody have the FX40 test utility program?
I can not find!
[email protected]