Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Rafale

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Rafale

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 04:51 PM
R/CBOONE72

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rafale

What do you guys think about the Rafale, way they fly, land, any bad charcteristics? Will they be good on 300ft grass field? What about 100ft paved with grass runoff? Thanks for input
Old 03-11-2008, 05:43 PM
jetjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rafale

Here's a rough video of my X-treme Jets Rafale, short grass strip, lost air so had to land on belly.
Once you get the nose up speed bleeds off very quickly.
From touch down to full stop in less than 30yards with wheels down.
Highly manoverable plane with the canards active.

Hope this helps,
John C

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=14Mp6TdSWTI
Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 PM
My Feedback: (9)

I have a tamjets rafale and consider my self a fairly acomplished jet pilot
If you dont have 500 feet of pavement dont get one If you do it defantly need some traling link gear
and it does not like across wind
that being said Ill sell you mine
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88657.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	901277   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mi21830.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	901278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20288.jpg
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	901279  
Old 03-12-2008, 03:30 PM
R/CBOONE72

from vids Ive seen 100ft is enough if you landed on edge with brakes applies, no problems I think.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:46 PM
just4u

is this going to be youre 1 st jet
julio
Old 03-12-2008, 05:15 PM
R/CBOONE72

would it be a good jet? first jet. But no it will be second.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:07 AM
c_makhija

Hi Boone,

I have an Avonds rafale, It was my first jet. Rock solid and easy to fly.
Have had 107 flights so far with it and still going strong. Slows down nicely for landing but 100 ft will be tight.

Chaitanya.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:22 AM
R/CBOONE72

well, it should get off in 100ft paved surface right, if the AOA is set right? I have been talking to manufactur. If not I have runoff all around of grass. Then I have another runway of 300-350ft of grass, little bumby though.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:55 PM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

There's good advice here in this thread. If you do get a Rafale and fly it at your field with a 100ft runway and grass ends, make sure you bring plenty of towels and dust-off to clean your jet interior, exterior, wheels and also have some extra spare parts to fix the nose gear. Other than that you should be fine...

Name:	Wu60262.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	903297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17750.jpg
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	903298  
Old 03-30-2008, 01:04 PM
hawkwindar7
My Feedback: (2)

Rafale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know you guys fly the big expesive nitro DF or turbine Rafale', but I need some help with a smaller, foam ARF Rafale (EDF) that I just bought on eBay. It is an extremely

good-looking, very-near scale foam plane (tightly closed foam cells), alot of detail and a good deal for the price.

I'm not sure about the electronics, but overall the fan, motor and lipo are decent. I got mine at the intro price (couple weeks ago) of $189 delivered.

I took it to the field yesterday, taxied up and down the tarmac and finally dumped the throttle. The darned thing won't fly!

It's a beautiful rendition of the full scale plane, but without flying/controllable canards, it may be doomed. Just checking on eBay this morning, there are no more available. Maybe the Chinese factory/designer discovered a little late that they don't fly.

Let me take that back...it does fly (somewhat), but only after agressive runway maneuvers to get it airborne.

As I pushed it down the tarmac at full speed (which by the way, is fast...more than enough ground speed to take flight) and gave up elevator, nothing happened...still continued on the tarmac for at least 200 feet. As I was nearing the end of the runway in an attempt to abort, I cut the throttle and immediately it shot vertically skyward. I tried to fly it on out, but after I regained composure, it settled in on the apron upright with no damage.

After bringing it back to the pit and talking with the other pilots, I tried it again and again the same thing. At the very end of the runway, throttled back and again the Rafale shot up...this time I was able to control it somewhat (saw that it was tail heavy with the stock lipo). So, again after no damage and adding 1/4 nose weight and a fresh 1300 mah lipo, I got it airborne.....only after chopping the throttle after a 200 foot tarmac run then giving it up and adding throttle again after getting up. It flies good, has moderate speed for an EDF, has a great roll/loop rate and a great glide rate.

This not being able to takeoff at speed has me (and other pilots) puzzled.

Anybody got any ideas?

At first, we re-set the AOA of the wings by adjusting the nose gear higher...didn't do a thing for it. I'm almost convinced that either the huge fan intakes are forming some sort of a suction with the tarmac and cuts it when I cut the throttle, or that the factory installed canards are keeping the nose down.

I'm an RC pilot with 30+ years of experience. This is my 4th EDF and all have done much better than this. I'm at a loss...please give me some ideas on what to do.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:16 PM
BillS

The fan thrust angle is probably forcing the nose down.

You might consider making a canard from aileron stock. The canard could be adjustable but locked down for test purposes.

Bill

Name:	Fd91426.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	917674  
Old 03-30-2008, 06:29 PM
hawkwindar7

Can this plane fly without canards at all?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:00 PM
R/CBOONE72

ok, well, I was told that even a turbine version can have this problem, raise the nose, make a higher AOA, angle of attack and the thrust does sound wrong. You should beable to fly without canards. Try a higher AOA by lengthening nose gear and get the thrust problem fixed. Take the thrust the other direction just a bit, a thin washer. And higher AOA and try it. Tell us what happens.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Ron S

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

I would think if you have a stock Rafale model, and try to fly it without canards, the model will be very nose-heavy, if flown per the Rafale CG with canards. The canards will have the effect of moving the aerodynamic center forward, and (hopefully), the CG was located in relation to the aerodynamic center.

Most likely, you will have to move the CG aft some, from the kit's instructions. Of course, then you may run into the new CG being too far aft for the main landing gear placement.

So I'd suggest adding the canards.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:44 PM
hawkwindar7

Thanks guys...I'm gonna' try flying without any canards in a few days 1st, then add them back if the results are worse. I'll let you know what happens.

I certainly appreciate the suggestions.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Miguel Santana
My Feedback: (6)

Is good to hear good thing about the Rafale,,,,due I started to build mine with LOTS of modifications ... Trans-BVM-formation...is an Aviation Design not ARF vertion.

Name:	Ge95420.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	919380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93750.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	919381  
Old 09-30-2008, 06:13 AM
=skywalker=
My Feedback: (7)

I have an assembled Fly Eagle Jet Rafale For sale here on RCU. http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=438755
Let me know if you have any questions