Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Should Florida Jets Be moved To a new Location

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
29.45%
No
27.61%
Stay In Florida with different Management
26.99%
I don't care
15.95%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Should Florida Jets Be moved To a new Location

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 12:08 AM
RonLongAZ
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should Florida Jets Be moved To a new Location

Here is a poll for All.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:57 AM
RonLongAZ

Default RE: Should Florida Jets Be moved To a new Location

I say speed word In AZ is the place for this event. What does everyone think.

Ron
Old 03-16-2008, 07:34 AM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say move it to Pittsburgh!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:10 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

How much you wanna bet the guys who are saying "no" are near the current site?? And just don't want to lose a local jet rally.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:17 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: seanreit

How much you wanna bet the guys who are saying "no" are near the current site?? And just don't want to lose a local jet rally.
That is normal in any poll or country or in any business Sean
get used to that.
you got friends and friends friends.
they always stick together , and can make life diffucult for a simple soul like ourselfes..
Old 03-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Gordito Volador
My Feedback: (1)

Sean,

I don't think that is totally correct, many Florida guys are frustrated with the weather, especially at this time of year and openly state it. Many of us would like a bigger and better venue and/or a different time of year. Sure it's great to have it nearby, but that isn't everything. Florida is a great place to fly jets, look at Lake Wales in November, the FIJR is a great rally usually with good weather.

Bill
Old 03-16-2008, 08:23 AM
FB111NAV-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

A couple of Questions
Why do You want to Move Fla Jets?

Why do you need to move Fla Jets to have another Jet Rally somewhere else?

If you want to have a jet Rally in your state then go ahead and Organize it -- NO ONE is stopping you--

Bob Radford

Old 03-16-2008, 08:31 AM
jetguy34695
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seanreit the event is called Florida Jets if you don't like it don't come with the turn out that this event gets each year it seems you are in the minority why don't you start your own event and see what kind of turn out you get
Old 03-16-2008, 08:35 AM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Maybe add a category of Don't Care?
Old 03-16-2008, 08:40 AM
seanreit

ORIGINAL: jetguy34695

Seanreit the event is called Florida Jets if you don't like it don't come with the turn out that this event gets each year it seems you are in the minority why don't you start your own event and see what kind of turn out you get

That's uncalled for, exactly how did mentioning that I bet the "NO" votes were from locals offend you? What's different about that and saying I bet it rains this afternoon.

Don't be a dick.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:45 AM
FTiano

Sean, and those who seem to be on the same wave lenghth as Sean,

Let's get one thing really straight here. Before FLorida Jets takes in one dime, it spends OVER $50,000. And I am happy
to share with anybody the breakdown of expenses just in case you don't believe me. And I would do it right here. The use of the facility is $1500 per
DAY for openers! Next, take all the polls you want, Florida Jets will always be my event and it will be held in an area that is
condusive to hosting an event this large. Let's suppose your poll says we move it to Georgia. Do you think for one moment I would do that?
If the poll says you want a Georgia Jets, then go at it. OR New Mexico or wherever. And if the polls Overwhelmingly suggest that it should be
held "Under NEW Management" do you think for one minute that I would give up a 12 years of hard work and turn over to someone else
because YOU made a poll? You know these on line chat rooms can be humerous at times, but then when someone posts something in the manner
in which you have, it really takes the joy out of it. But I think what really disturbs me is that you beleive this crap. So what's next,
you don't like the way the Daytona 500 is run so we take a poll to move it to Las Vegas? And then we through out the officials becasue your poll
says a management change is in order? Another question. Have YOU ever had to operate a business in your entire life? If so, IS it or WAS it successful?
If it is or was successful, ask yourself who was responsible for that success. And if it went in the toilet, ask yourself the same question. One last thing,
before posting anything that might not be accurate, why not go to the person you are about to flame and ask them directly. In this case I could have told you a lot of things that may have pre-empted your cruel succession of posts.
As far as I am concerned, people sometimes get a horrible reputation because of something that was started by folks very much like you. I, for one, am joining the ranks of those who are saying this: If you really find me or my events that objectionable, do me and others that don't agree with you a huge favor and
stay home.
FT

Old 03-16-2008, 09:02 AM
seanreit

ORIGINAL: FTiano

If you really find me or my events that objectionable, do me and others that don't agree with you a huge favor and
stay home.
FT
I would suggest that jet pilots notify sponsors and vendors to take note of this. As regards horrible reputation, I don't know anything about that, I only explained what I personally witnessed. There were three hundred people in that Room that witnessed a man in jest or not that was vulgar beyond what can be mentioned here. FWIW, I would suggest visiting MS Afterburner, a very large event that nobody cares where the money goes, cause good whether or not, there is a good time to be had by all. And nobody gets called something negative, I don't know just seems to me some people's feelings got hurt in Florida, I have not seen that happen at other rally's and I attend over 8 to 10 a year.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:10 AM
jetguy34695

I agree with Frank on this one Seanreit please stay home next year. I am in this hobby for fun and it seems you did not have fun at this event so just stay home and stop trying to poison peoples options that were not there to see for them self’s what a great event this is and all the great people that attend. I try to stay out of this kind of thread, but some of the things you brought up I somewhat agreed with but you seem to get carried away and make personnel attacks and cannot take other people’s opinions very well.

Just my opinion
Old 03-16-2008, 09:16 AM
smokin-gun
My Feedback: (18)

everyone needs to remember frank IS a bussiness and HE takes the risk to front this event and it is not a club w/ a bunch of volunteers .

he has a 12 year history and many repeat customers.
also don't forget topgun that IS 20 YEARS OLD. he has had to do something right in all those years .

as for vendors and donations,- they are sent to frank for him to do AS HE SEE'S FIT>
if you are going for the prizes, stay home - save the money and buy yourself what you want.

as in any bussiness show your disaproval by not patronizing his bussiness and let the chips fall as they may.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:33 AM
seanreit

A guy writes me this:
Sean
I remember attending FJ about 3yrs ago. The Local Cuban Airforce from Miami were there with their jets. I noticed one of the pilots drinking a beer. After he finished his drink he went out to the Flight Line and started flying. Needless to say after a few low passes he mid-aired with a red Euro Sport.
I brought this to Franks attention and he basically shrugged it off.
The CA spends alot of money on there jets and equipment. Big Spenders at FJ..

I'm not privy to the beer drinking, but I do remember the mid air because I was standing next to the pilot whose plane he hit (The Eurosport) and I helped pick up the pieces. I had no idea the other guy had been drinking.

When the awards are given out, the guy who had been drinking gets the "Holy crap award".
Old 03-16-2008, 09:48 AM
jetguy34695

this sounds like one of those urban legends a friend of a friend of a friend told me they saw bigfoot so it must be real give it up and it happened three years ago you are really reaching now

this will be my last post on this subject
Old 03-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Vegas
My Feedback: (4)

I am not sure why some of you are after Frank Tiano and Florida Jets. Anytime you travel to a model event you are at the mercy of the weather. Before this year I traveled 1800 miles round trip for this event since the JPX days. The weather was not alwys great. The event has grown to monstrous proportions. I was surprised to see that the budget is $50,000. I always thought it was pushing $80,000. How would you like to be on the hook for that kind of money? If It would be me I would stop the event now. Let somebody else take time from their business and put in all the hours it takes to organize this thing and then get the grief he is getting. Frank has only done good things for the model industry and the modelers in it. I really hope he does keep it going. As he said it is Florida Jets not North Dakota Jets. You do not have to attend the event. You also do not have to attend the banquet. I like Franks' sense of humor. If you cannot take a joke, you can always eat elsewhere. If you do not like the language do not attend. If you are worried about the kids hearing something you do not think they should hearGo to your kids or grandkids high school and you will hear language that would make make Frank blush. The auction is fun and has to be fast moving. It would take forever for some to get t heir bids out. There were some great bargains to be had. I had a great time.
Oh, by the way, to all the guys that came to the banquet and sat in the back without buying a ticket, shame on you. Also, to the guys in t he back that went through the line twice befsome in the front got there, shame on you.

Frank will be an asset to the JPO. Again, if you do not like it drop out. There will be someone to take your place

I think I will call Frank and see if he wants to go flying.

Sid Rosen
Old 03-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Gordon Mc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: arizonasun25

Ron
Personally, I’d say “no thanks”. As Frank has pointed out in post #11, he will not allow anyone else to run the event. So, in the unlikely event that Frank agreed to transplant FJ to Speedworld, it seems that what we would get is an event using the great facilities at Speedworld, but run by Frank in the style of FJ. What have the guys at Speedworld done wrong that you want to take control of their club’s events taken away from them ?

In my opinion the speedworld guys are a really class bunch, and they do a wonderful job of running their own events. As far as I am concerned they don't need anyone else coming in to mess with them and their winning formula.

If we want an additional event at Speedworld, it’s quite possible that they’d be willing to accomodate us - but IMO it should be their own event and nothing to do with FJ.

YMMV, which is fine.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:50 PM
rcjets_63

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: FTiano

If the poll says you want a Georgia Jets, then go at it. OR New Mexico or wherever.
Hi Frank,

Having flown at Florida Jets, I can say that I appreciate all your hard work to put on such a big event. Let's try to keep New Mexico out of this :-) though!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2008, 02:03 PM
RonLongAZ

Gordon,

I agree desert jets will get more popular each year. If this continues at florida The desert jet storm will become the premier event.

Ron
Old 03-16-2008, 02:12 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The notion of moving FLORIDA Jets to another state is absolutely laughable. What the L are y'all thinkin? Florizonia Jets? Florgia Jets?
Be ye not rediculous...starting now.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:12 PM
cactusflyer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: arizonasun25

Ron
Personally, I’d say “no thanks”. As Frank has pointed out in post #11, he will not allow anyone else to run the event. So, in the unlikely event that Frank agreed to transplant FJ to Speedworld, it seems that what we would get is an event using the great facilities at Speedworld, but run by Frank in the style of FJ. What have the guys at Speedworld done wrong that you want to take control of their club’s events taken away from them ?

In my opinion the speedworld guys are a really class bunch, and they do a wonderful job of running their own events. As far as I am concerned they don't need anyone else coming in to mess with them and their winning formula.

If we want an additional event at Speedworld, it’s quite possible that they’d be willing to accomodate us - but IMO it should be their own event and nothing to do with FJ.

YMMV, which is fine.

Gordon,

YOU ARE DEAD ON in IMHO! Florida Jets is Frank's show. ...Good, bad, or indifferent. Nobody is forced to attend. The Desert Jet Storm at Speed World will develop into THE premier jet event on it's own.

By the way, for those of you East of the Mississippi, Phoenix is in ARIZONA, not New Mexico. There IS a difference, unlike northern Florida which is really Alabama

The question that we all SHOULD be asking is, Will Top Gun have a Foamy Class this year????

Tailwinds,

John
Old 03-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Dave Presta
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: cactusflyer

The Desert Jet Storm at Speed World will develop into THE premier jet event on it's own.

Tailwinds,

John
John, I just got off the phone with Gordon and we were just talking about this very subject. Speedworld is an incredible event run by a fantastic club and lead by the best CD in the business Jim Allen. I agree with you that it has already gained the credibility to become an event not to be missed.

Frank IS Florida Jets and would not be the same without him. I think even suggesting that Florida Jets should be run by someone else is a slap in the face to the man who has put in a tremendous amount of effort to make HIS event the biggest production that our corner of the hobby can ever imagine. I don't think my event (California Jets) or even Speedworld would want/can handle the magnitude of headaches associated with an event of this size. Florida Jets is so big that manufacturers use it to introduce their new products, that should put into perspective how important this event is to our hobby. So many people come to Florida Jets just to see what's new and are able to have mostly all kit manufacturers/engine/accessory's at their fingertips not only to touch and feel, but to see perform at the show. The show is a vital part of our Jet community, and no better place to see all products being displayed for all of us to evaluate. The term "you are never going to make everyone happy" gets multiplied by the number of people who are judging you, so just take a guess at how difficult this task is for Frank Tiano. If there is something he does that you do not like, there are probably hundreds or even thousands who do like it...thats just the numbers game that is played out with pretty much everything in life. An event of this size just magnifies the amount of people who are going to be displeased, but also does the same for the amount of people who love it.
I for one support Frank Tiano and Florida Jets, and despite the weather being bad I am still out of my mind pissed off that I could not make it.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:50 PM
TrueScale
My Feedback: (47)

Sean,

I think you made a few valid points but you seem to be on a path to try and ruin Franks event. Why do you feel
its your duty to alert vendors etc. based on how you feel? Come on with the family thing, I hear all kinds of
language etc at every flying field so I don't get it. Its like going to watch your favorite comedian on tv and find
out how he really talks not on tv? Just get up and go, I'll bet very few leave. Maybe Frank should put a warning
on the banquet info that says "may be adult content" and that should do it. The rest seems like you didn't have
a good time so just pass on it next year.

Chuck
Old 03-16-2008, 05:55 PM
simont

I would suggest if someone does not like the show, that person should not go. You have a choice. I for one would love to visit Florida Jets but due to lack of funds i don't think this will happen in the near future. I wish we had a show like this over here. You don't know how lucky you are.

Simon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.