Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster plus 1:5.5 BAE Hawk

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster plus 1:5.5 BAE Hawk

Old 01-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Scott Geller
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster plus 1:5.5 BAE Hawk

I'm having trouble finding the correct placement for the wing fences and the fins. Anyone have a good pic or diagram?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:07 PM
dboyle
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: shepp

ORIGINAL: gabjhup

Thanks for the good wishes Shepp. Let me know if you want me to give you contact info for the spring manufacturer that I used here in Adelaide. I'm sure you could get them freighted.
Cheers Greg
Hey Greg, send me the info on the springs you had made. I have not had any luck getting stronger ones.
Thanks

Glenn
Hi guys
Can I get the info on the springs you had made? I have a new hawk that is just finished and my gear doors and speed break touch the ground without fuel.

Thanks
Doug
Old 03-03-2013, 01:48 PM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back from FL Jets. Had a awsome time. I did have a small screw up and damaged the nose of my Skymaster 1.5 hawk. I can fix the damage on the nose but I would like to get a new one. Just wanted to see if anyone has one out there. Also anyone order replacement parts before? If so did you have to got thru BVM?

This is a picture before the damage. Love this jet. I Bought last fall used.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 PM
gabjhup

Hi Doug,

The company I used was:

http://www.southernsprings.com.au/

Its almost been two years sinceI ordered mine but you can try to get in touch and request the springs they made forGreg Hupeden. The springs thatI have used take a loading of around15kg and there are two springs which seemed to be effective...

1) 1.6mm dia x 20 coils (used on my jet)
2) 1.6mm dia x 19 coils

Iwould suggest getting both of these made up and choosing the one that feels right for your jet. Hope this works for you.

Cheers

Greg
Old 05-15-2013, 12:28 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello all,

I have read all 19 pages, 454 post spanning 5+ years and believe it or not I have a few questions.. Very informative thread to say the least !! I guess I'm trying to get the bottom line about this model. I have procured one of these and I want to take advantage of all the knowledge amassed here. I have no idea what version I have, is there a tell-tail way to identify what I have ?? It does not have wing fences or ventral fins. It has flown prior to me, but I do not know the previous owner to talk to him.It is in great shape. I feel that the fences and fins are important in the stability of the aircraft at slower speeds. true of false ?.. Does Anton offer fences and fins I can buy and put on, or do I have to make them ? I am planning to put 3mm of reflex in the ailerons with an added amount for crow with full flaps, how much more do I need for the crow setting ? I also understand that the C.G. should be 190mm, inverted, gear down, UAT full. Also I understand lateral balance is important as well. I guess I am a little confused about elevator travel.. Lower rate for normal flight and 40mm for landing ? How much expo ? Elevator up mix with flap deployment. What should flap measurements be for t/o,approach and full for landing ? Planning to power w/ J/C Cheetah ( 31lbs ). I would really appreciate any and all input regarding these points and all others if anyone has any thing to share. My overall impression thus far is that this airplane is a great flyer and can be mastered if you have done all the homework, but will bite your arse if you don't have a full understanding of what you are dealing with. One last question, Has there been any airfoil changes to the wings along the way that makes the later versions more friendly or different ? Thanks for taking the time to read my post, looking forward to any all thoughts !!!

Cheers,

Danno
Old 05-16-2013, 02:50 PM
rcjetsaok

BTW, The T-45 does not have inner main gear doors open when gear is down unlike the Hawk.

D
Old 05-29-2013, 12:48 AM
gabjhup

Hi Danno,I certainly recommend the use of wing fences for the Hawk to straighten the airflow over the top of the wing as the angle of attack increases. The 1:5.5 Hawk does not appreciate much angle of attack, if you stick the nose up too much the Hawk will wingtip stall, so keep the speed up. I have over 70 flights on mine now. If you treat it with respect and fly the plane smoothly you will be rewarded with a fantastic flyer. I have the long nose version so my COG may be different to the normal variant. I tend to fly with maximum travel with lots of expo (my personal preference). This for me has saved the plane on a couple of occasions when I have required the extra aileron travel to recover from a wing tip stall. I'm sure Anton can sell you replacement wing fences. you can easily make your own out of thin ply. again for flaps I use the maximum travel and put my flaps on a slider switch with the mid way point being my take off flaps. As the flaps deploy I mix in down elevator and crow on the ailerons. Hope all goes well for you. You can see my Hawk on Youtube. The other video on my site shows a flame out I had and shows a wingtip stall as I pulled back hard on an approach to get the plane on the ground in a hurry. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sydteEfy6eoCheersGreg
Old 05-29-2013, 09:58 AM
rcjetsaok

ORIGINAL: gabjhup

Hi Danno,I certainly recommend the use of wing fences for the Hawk to straighten the airflow over the top of the wing as the angle of attack increases. The 1:5.5 Hawk does not appreciate much angle of attack, if you stick the nose up too much the Hawk will wingtip stall, so keep the speed up. I have over 70 flights on mine now. If you treat it with respect and fly the plane smoothly you will be rewarded with a fantastic flyer. I have the long nose version so my COG may be different to the normal variant. I tend to fly with maximum travel with lots of expo (my personal preference). This for me has saved the plane on a couple of occasions when I have required the extra aileron travel to recover from a wing tip stall. I'm sure Anton can sell you replacement wing fences. you can easily make your own out of thin ply. again for flaps I use the maximum travel and put my flaps on a slider switch with the mid way point being my take off flaps. As the flaps deploy I mix in down elevator and crow on the ailerons. Hope all goes well for you. You can see my Hawk on Youtube. The other video on my site shows a flame out I had and shows a wingtip stall as I pulled back hard on an approach to get the plane on the ground in a hurry. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sydteEfy6eoCheersGreg

Thanks so much for the info !!!! I am going to do the wing fences and ventral's as well.. We have a e-mail into Anton, no reply yet. Are you running any reflex on ailerons for normal flight ? I'm thinking of that as well and then added crow with flap deployment.. Your thoughts?? I'll keep you posted of my progress. You video looks great !!! You have my motivated now !!! Are you using the recommended throws on everything, and how much expo ? ?

Cheers,

Danno
Old 05-30-2013, 02:19 AM
gabjhup

No problems Danno. I'm using a very small amount of reflex for normal flight (from memory around 1-2mm). For landing on full flaps I'm using around 5mm of crow. I am flying with the recommended full throws but using around 70% expo. I have the low rates set as well but as I said in the earlier post I prefer having the extra bight of full throw if required. Just experiment in small increments to see what feels right for you. Cheers Greg
Old 05-30-2013, 03:52 AM
patrnflyr

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've heard rumors of a larger SM Hawk. Any chance of this happening? I'm sure it's mentioned here but can't do a search as I'm at work right now. Thanks a bunch. John
Old 05-31-2013, 04:00 AM
gabjhup

Skymaster do 1:4.75, Fly Eagle do 1:4.5 and Skygate do a large Hawk as well. I'm not aware of any larger versions than that.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:23 AM
patrnflyr

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, thanks. I just heard rumors that there may be a 1/3.5 in the research mill of SkyMaster. Don't want to go the other large version from FEJ with all the hoopla going on so I guess it'll have to be Skygate. I'm not a very good painter and it really intimidates me to be painting a $15,000 airplane. Guess I'll just wait awhile and see what comes out in the future.

John
Old 06-01-2013, 12:05 PM
rcjetsaok

Well just a recap of understanding here... Elevator neutral is position is -3 deg. from 0 wing incidence ( Up Elevator ) C.G. should be 190mm ( inverted,gear down UAT full ) , Take off flaps 20mm , landing 30mm, 3mm Reflex in ailerons for normal fight and 10mm crow with full flaps. Max elevator throw - just under 40 mm. Is this the crux of the settings to start ? How much up elevator mix with full flaps ?? What else have I missed ??

Thanks guy's !!!! I need all the help I can get on this one !! I'm still not sure if this thing needs a Pilot or a Priest !!!!

Cheers,

Danno
Old 06-01-2013, 12:10 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe roughly 6mm up elevator at 20mm flaps and about 10mm at full flaps
Old 06-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey guys, im looking for a cockpit for this size hawk, any of you guys have one you may want to sell?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 AM
gabjhup

My settings have a component of down elevator mixed with the flaps and crow. I have seen the ramifications of up elevator mixed with flaps on my friends Hawk. The plane wanted to balloon or hang in the air causing him to apply down elevator on final. This is not desirable with the Hawk as my friend found out recently when he let his Hawk slow down too much on final causing a stall and unfortunately a loss of aircraft . My advice is to stay neutral or maybe a small amount of down elevator mixed with the flaps for the first flight and trim to suit.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:53 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Gent's,

i know im dragging out a bit of a old thread, but I've just bought one of these 1:5.5 Hawks second hand with 6 flights on it.

Does the smaller hawk come with flap and aileron fairings on the underside of the wing? Mine doesn't have any and I'm wondering if I can get them from skymaster or do I have to make my own?

the previous owner had a P160 in it, but I bought it without the turbine because I thought a 160 was too much for this model. I'm looking at either a k140 or the M140XBL. We fly off grass nearly all the time and sometimes out of tight strips, so would like the extra poke to get it off the grass. I've had kingtechs in the past and they have been great, but I hear really good things about the jetmunts as well and it's almost 350g lighter than the k140

thanks

dave
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	2049484   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	2049486  

Last edited by ticketec; 11-23-2014 at 02:23 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:07 AM
wichet

Hi Dave
No the model did not come with fairings for the ailerons or flaps, a 140 size engine is perfect for this model, also do not slow this model down in the turns to much as it can tip stall, crow braking can help thou.
Hope this helps

Darren
Old 11-24-2014, 02:16 PM
ticketec

Ok thanks,

Are the drop tanks also not available either?

i won't have the model at home for another month or so, but just trying to get ready for its arrival.

thanks

dave
Old 11-25-2014, 08:37 AM
jws_aces

Dave I am flying the same hawk just the mk66 not the 100 with a ram1000 at 26 lbs thrust. I have flown it with a KingTech 100g off of grass and it flies fine with that. Mines weights about 30lbs dry.

You will want to program some crow into it for landings.

Not it sure if you can get any drop tanks for that size.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:49 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got mine in today. i will have the K-140 in it.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:28 PM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by airraptor
I just got mine in today. i will have the K-140 in it.
That will make it haul the mail. Keep us up on your progress.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:09 AM
ticketec

Great to hear that there are a few of us fly these Hawks around!

Mine is is still at my parents house some 1600kms away but should be shipping up next week!!

and I think I've settled on the M140XBL. We are doing better against the euro so the difference between the m140 and the k140 is about $200 at the moment.

looking forward to posting some pics as you start to unpack and set you model up

thanks

dave
Old 01-08-2015, 08:18 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will post some for sure. i was going to use two JR 8411 servos on the back but everyone seems to like one servo. So I ordered one of JR's best servos and still saved 30 dollars over two of the 8411's. So far everything looks good. Two things i found so far. one is the paint cracking on the hingeline for the ailerons near the tip. i will stop drill them and then add some paint. the other is on the rudder. the main spar is only glued on one side in the section where the servo goes. you can tap on it and hear it. past the servo compartment it seems bonded.

This will be my first jet build and i have a question for you pros. Do I need Hysol to glue in the control horns? I have west systems and carbosil, will this work as well? I got the kevlar tanks and measured them last night. The larger one is 90.5 ounces and the smaller one is 42.5 ounces. Total minus UAT is 133 ounces. So it carries over a gallon of fuel lol.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:06 PM
ticketec

Hey Airraptor,

Mine has 2 servos on the elevator, but I can't remember which ones they were... I'll have a look when it arrives.

Hysol Is good, but I cant see a problem with west systems and some cabosil. rough up the surfaces of the horn before you install them.

Thanks

dave

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.