Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Composite ARF Tucano Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Composite ARF Tucano Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 08:23 AM
rbgetz

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My Tucano is due to arrive in a few weeks, I was planning on scale lighting as well and wondering what others have used for the leading edge wing landing lights? I'm assuming the clear covering is custom made as well... In insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:50 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rbgetz
My Tucano is due to arrive in a few weeks, I was planning on scale lighting as well and wondering what others have used for the leading edge wing landing lights? I'm assuming the clear covering is custom made as well... In insight would be greatly appreciated.
Get the lighting system from Dan at Details 4 scale. It includes all the lenses and covers.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 02-12-2017, 01:37 PM
rbgetz

Thanks Jan... I think that's exactly what i'll do..
Old 02-17-2017, 01:20 PM
Thruster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry dont come on here often. Yes 1/4 scale and yes I had to make changes to the cockpit. Made the tubs deeper (-about 1 1/2 inches) plus made new ejection seats for it.

Thruster, the flight looked excellent and your tailored Pilots look great. Are those the 1:4 size? if so, did the cockpit need any adjusting to fit them?
Old 02-17-2017, 01:24 PM
Thruster

Originally Posted by AKB
HI Ian
Great flights, the dusk flight I liked the most high lighting your well done lighting install. Beautiful and graceful, maybe not the scheme of the Brazilian Air force but hat was way I remember them flying when they came to Canada in years past. That made me fall in love with this airframe. Good luck for future flights in 2017.

Alan

Thanks Alan

was a bit limited that day flying as the sun was low and driectly in front of me which limited the flying somewhat. I'm loving the model and can't wait for the weather to improve here now.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:20 PM
AKB
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thruster
Thanks Alan

was a bit limited that day flying as the sun was low and driectly in front of me which limited the flying somewhat. I'm loving the model and can't wait for the weather to improve here now.
Hi Ian
Making some progress on the Tucano. Lighting started. My lens will need more work, but the mid wing lights were very easy, but the wing tip are the tough ones with the compound curves.

Thanks
For your help
Alan

Last edited by AKB; 02-17-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:10 AM
robertocasti10
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tomorrow I will maiden my tucano anybody have any recommendations on maiden? Should I use take off flaps on maiden? What else should I do?
Old 02-18-2017, 12:27 PM
Thruster

Originally Posted by robertocasti10
Tomorrow I will maiden my tucano anybody have any recommendations on maiden? Should I use take off flaps on maiden? What else should I do?
it a lovely model and very easy, takeoff flap yes and as long as you have balanced to manual or slightly forward it will lift quite quickly. Just progressively open the throttle and let speed build. Mine lifted at about 3/4 throttle on smooth Tarmac - little more on grass. Mine just needed one click of up with everything set to neutral.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:41 PM
robertocasti10

How much throttle on landing do you recommend? Will do on take off as you say hope everything is well balanced.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:16 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Turbo props are not linear on the throttle stick position, you will need a throttle curve, but the Tucano has loads of drag with the big flaps, you will be just above mid throttle stick on the approach, if there is a head wind 2/3rds power. That's fine since when you chop the power it will stop dead! Fly it to the ground, don't try and hold it off on the approach and float it in.
Its easy to fly, but getting used to the throttle stick position will be what takes time
Old 02-18-2017, 02:30 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
but getting used to the throttle stick position will be what takes time
Agree....a way to get an initial feel for this, is to do a bit of taxiing around before you fly. You will very quickly realise how much anticipation goes into the throttle management. At first it feel like you not getting the plane to move, then all of a sudden it gets going at a rate of knots, then you rapidly close the throttle, only to find that the plane has slowed down more quickly than anticipated..... So be smooth with your throttle movement and try to find that sweet spot where the throttle is responding as expected - on mine that is around the 1/3rd of throttle position.

As Dave suggested, fine tune the throttle feel with a throttle curve as far as you can....

Cheers,

Jan
Old 02-18-2017, 02:50 PM
robertocasti10

Perfect guys thx for the tips if you have any more suggestions please let me know. I'll write tomorrow telling how it went
Old 02-20-2017, 06:30 AM
robertocasti10

Wow guys this is a fun and amazing plane to fly. Maidened yesterday and everything went well and had a lot of fun with it. Took all of your advice and very helpful! Thx for all your help!
Old 02-20-2017, 05:36 PM
rbgetz

Congratulations on your successful maiden flight. What turbine are you running?
Old 02-20-2017, 05:46 PM
robertocasti10

Thx I'm running a kt60 kingtech. Flew great took off very fast and lands just fine with a little power
Old 02-20-2017, 05:48 PM
robertocasti10

First flight flew for 6 mins with all 3 tanks full of fuel and only one got empty. Second flight flew for 8 mins and one and 1/4 tank gasoline consumption .amazing economy. Will move timer up to 10 mins.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:07 PM
rbgetz

Hi all. well, my Tucano finally showed up today. Always an exciting time. I guess the first question I had was does anyone make a decal nomenclature sheets for the Tucano. I have the queens jubilee scheme and I noticed that the markings on the plane are blank with no wording and no decal sheet came with the kit, as seen in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2360.JPG
Views:	900
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	2204782  
Old 03-10-2017, 12:13 PM
phantom_najd

Hi all. well, my Tucano finally showed up today. Always an exciting time. I guess the first question I had was does anyone make a decal nomenclature sheets for the Tucano. I have the queens jubilee scheme and I noticed that the markings on the plane are blank with no wording and no decal sheet came with the kit, as seen in the photo.
Look again you should have decal sheets with the kit, mine came with them.

Azzam
Old 03-10-2017, 01:21 PM
rbgetz

Hi Azzam.. Nothing included. I read the instructions and under the KIT content list it states "Self-adhesive markings for Brazilian red and blue Schemes only".. So I guess for this paint scheme has none. A little disappointed in CARF on that small detail, on the one scheme to pay more money you get less detail. doesn't make sense.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:08 PM
Thruster

Hi Azzam.. Nothing included. I read the instructions and under the KIT content list it states "Self-adhesive markings for Brazilian red and blue Schemes only".. So I guess for this paint scheme has none. A little disappointed in CARF on that small detail, on the one scheme to pay more money you get less detail. doesn't make sense.

I used these guys http://www.tailormadedecals.com/lng/...e5042hmc441427
Old 03-10-2017, 03:34 PM
rbgetz

Ahh.. Perfect.. Thank you, Thruster! I'll reach out to them.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:24 PM
Thruster

Ahh.. Perfect.. Thank you, Thruster! I'll reach out to them.
You're welcome :-)

Cheers
Ian
Old 03-11-2017, 01:31 AM
phantom_najd

Hi,

My Tucano flew last weekend and man it is great plane. The plane is very heavy and yet extremely agile and stable. The maiden flight was streamed live on facebook by a friend, was a bit nerve racking . Got a total of five flights out of it, was a bit windy and it was cross wind for all five flights. Here is a video of the second or third flight https://youtu.be/_ez8b2QWcR8

Azzam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1072.JPG
Views:	884
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2204860  
Old 03-11-2017, 12:28 PM
rbgetz

Sorry for the questions, but still a little lost on mounting the biela prop to the SPT. I now get how to drill back of Prop and the spinner backplate to 12mm to fit, but how did others mount the actual spinner? The SPT 10 came with a bolt to mount prop, but no threaded center hole for the spinner both. If anyone has a quick photo or input on how they mounted, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:31 PM
rbgetz

OK,, I had wrong bold in my hands, it does have center hole for spinner... so for the confusion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.