Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Intairco tire change?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Intairco tire change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 06:52 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intairco tire change?

Hi guys,

I have quite nicely burned thru a set of Intairco tires and have a new set of rubber to replace them with...but how the heck do you do it? I have 2 and 5/8 wheels and the rims seem solid...so how do you get the old tires off and the new tires mounted on the rims?

Thanks,

Beave
Old 04-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Frank Alvarez

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Intairco tire change?

Hey Beave,

Similar tire/ wheel combo on my F-15.
Sounds silly, but, I have found much sucess with putting the new tires into a small pot of boilling water for about 5 minutes to soften the rubber a bit. Gettin the old tire off the rim is simple. I must assume they have flat-spots or some other reason for replaceing them? Therefor, take your box cutter blade and slice right thru them to discard. The hot water will make the new tire rubber pliable and easier to stretch over the rim.
This has worked for me on three sets of tires now, and I'm sure to use this process again early this season as I burn thru the rubber with many flights.
Frank.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:35 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Beave,

Yep, I do it the same as Frank. I would add that after I streach them over the rims, I wrap them tightly with tape as they cool to help them shrink down tight to the rim again...

Bob
Old 04-05-2008, 09:15 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the tips...I'll let you know how it goes.

Boli

Old 04-06-2008, 02:24 AM
chrigui

Cut the old tyre of using a band saw up to the rim and then a sharp blade to finish off, wet knife blade with water to make cutting easier.
Warm the new tyres in boiling water to make then super soft, apply a little washing up detergent to the inner part of the tyre and stretch over the rim
(intairco instruction)

Christian
www.webalice.it/jetflydemoteam
Old 07-19-2008, 09:37 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK guys, I have new set of tires that are harder than Superman's head....heated with a heat gun to the point of needing gloves to touch it....NOPE.......5 minutes in boiling water....NOPE......the old tires were the consistency of bubble gum and wore out in less than 20 flights.....the new ones are made of Krypotonite....I'm getting P/O'd caus I want to bust some laps tomorrow and I cant get the tires on the rim.....my lathe chuck isnt big enough to build a taper like BVM uses....any other ideas so I can burn some kero tomorrow....
Old 07-19-2008, 09:45 PM
jkeze
My Feedback: (36)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just used a spinner the same diameter as the rim with a piece of plywood with a hole cut in it. Just like what BVM sells. I had to stand on it to slide it on but it worked. Put a bit of oil on the spinner so the tire will slide down it.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:47 PM
furloughed ual

AHHHHH, a spinner....was looking around for something that might work.....been a long time since I actually used a small plastic spinner....down to the hole to give it a whirl.....Thanks....
Old 07-19-2008, 10:51 PM
furloughed ual

jkeze, thanks....the spinner worked, even thought it broke....I had to literally jump on it to get the tires on.....220lbs.....they sure as h*** wont spin off the hubs.....
Old 07-26-2008, 10:23 PM
kyates

i used a old tune pipe cut it into then cut it crossways just enough to fit over rim you can change tires in a flash
Old 03-27-2013, 04:09 PM
RCpropo
My Feedback: (1)

Buddies, I am getting problems with Intairco 83mm wheels. On the second takeoff the tire left the wheel........

Any way to solve it, or change to BVM wheels?

Regards.
Rick.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:20 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

How old are the wheels/tires?... there was a short period where intairco changed tire manufacturers and tires where made of the wrong durometer rubber. Most likely what you have....
Replacement rubber will solve the problem if this is the case. Only other reason to be loosing a tire on these wheels is if you are carrying really excessive ground speed.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Justflying1

As far as I'm aware of the ones I have and these are Intairco rims they are split rims. Once all the screws are undone completely the rim falls of and you take the tire out. 
No need to be trying to stretch the tire over the rim.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:09 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

ORIGINAL: bevar

Hi guys,

I have quite nicely burned thru a set of Intairco tires and have a new set of rubber to replace them with...but how the heck do you do it? I have 2 and 5/8 wheels and the rims seem solid...so how do you get the old tires off and the new tires mounted on the rims?

Thanks,

Beave
Boil the tires, dubro plastic spinner cone the same diameter as the rim,,, hose it down with windex, pull the tires from the hot water then press the tire on the rim with a PVC 1 1/2 inch T fitting....
Old 03-27-2013, 06:11 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

ORIGINAL: Justflying1

As far as I'm aware of the ones I have and these are Intairco rims they are split rims. Once all the screws are undone completely the rim falls of and you take the tire out.
No need to be trying to stretch the tire over the rim.
Older wheels are one piece.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:53 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had the tires depart from my Intarico wheels on a hot landing. I now glue them on with Locktite Black Max. It's a black coloured, rubberized CA made for gluing rubber. So far never had an issue since. Very expensive stuff though.

Mike
Old 03-28-2013, 08:43 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

I've had the tires depart from my Intarico wheels on a hot landing. I now glue them on with Locktite Black Max. It's a black coloured, rubberized CA made for gluing rubber. So far never had an issue since. Very expensive stuff though.

Mike
Originally formulated to stick rubber car tires to RC/IC cars, as above its good stuff, but expensive.

Mike
Old 03-28-2013, 09:01 PM
warbird51
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: furloughed ual

jkeze, thanks....the spinner worked, even thought it broke....I had to literally jump on it to get the tires on.....220lbs.....they sure as h*** wont spin off the hubs.....
I've got a set of old Intarico wheels on a Facet 2300. I was letting my best friend fly it at a full size airport. He decided to do a looooong take off run at full throttle. When he finally rotated, the 2 main tire's just came off the rims as slick as you please. I was ready to change the tires out as they were pretty worn down. I knew I was going to have to cut them off, but my friend found another way.