Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Tams "fun scale" F-16 Fuel Tank Setup???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Tams "fun scale" F-16 Fuel Tank Setup???

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:34 AM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tams "fun scale" F-16 Fuel Tank Setup???

Hi, I have a Tams F-16 "fun scale" and I have yet to fly it. I am going thru the entire airframe and checking everything out. I am going to remove both main fuel tanks and check them out.

My question is this:
Should I run them in series or parallel? I am just a little concerned about them being in series and one not pulling down all the way. Anyway any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Larry
Old 04-11-2008, 12:55 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts
Default RE: Tams "fun scale" F-16 Fuel Tank Setup???

Did you get the instructions CD with it? if not, call Tam to see if he can sand you the files via email. If you can post some pics. of the landing gear rails, doors, steering cables, pipe ( like to see what color is it by now )

The way the fuel tanks are set up in this jet is "T" the vent from the sadel tanks, one pick up line per sadel tank to the foward tank ( foward tank has two vent now and one pick up line ) the pick up line from the foward tank to the UAT.

If you have any craks on the tanks use epoxy resin and a piece of fiber cloth ( small one ) also pull on the elevators if both or one of them are loose, turn loose the two screws on clamp ( not all the way ) then hit the clamp with a ( something heavy ) and just enough to push that clamp into the shaft that little bit that is loose then tighten the screws back in.

That's all.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:06 AM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I did get the manual. It shows them in parallel connection. I was just wondering as if one sucks a little bit of air, it goes right into the UAT tank. But not sure if it is good for the pump to run these in series or not.

Yeah, I already gone thru the entire jet. The pipe is toast and have another one on the way. No doors, this is the fun scale version sold a few years ago.

everything else is setup and looks good.

Just going thru the fuel systme right now and want to make sure it's in top condition. Why I have them out, was wondering which is the better way to hook them up.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:18 AM
CARS II

I wouldn't have it any other way, by all means go through all of it, I do it all the time so that when I push the pedal to the metal there are no second thoughts on safety.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:25 AM
CARS II

When the fuel is depleted from the sadel tanks ( and one gets dry before the other ) the one that is empty is just acting as a big long vent line for the foward tank while the one with fuel keeps fowarding its fuel to the foward tank and eventually both tanks are suplying air to the foward tank to replace the fuel that is been transfer to the UAT.

Yeap, parallel is easer on the pump and the tanks ( all of them )

I hope this is not so confusing
Old 04-11-2008, 02:23 AM
bukeym

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

It is also very important what type of tubing you use for the fuel tanks... Even if parallel connection is used it makes big differenc on the pump if you use tygon compared to 4x2mm Festo tubing. I have seen well over 6 volts on the fuel pump with with 4x2 tubing.. I had to change all tubing to tygon.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:53 PM
CARS II

Thanks for the tip...........[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 04-13-2008, 01:59 AM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I tried to plumb my Tam A4 saddle tanks in serie. As a result, I broke the main tank. Every time you connect another tank, the previous tanks are further pressurized.

Since the composite tanks are fragile, it appears that the best way is to have the saddle tank in parallel with 2 separate vents.

Arnaud