Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

skymaster f-86diet?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

skymaster f-86diet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:32 PM
smokin-gun
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default skymaster f-86diet?

well the ad says 16-17 # mine with scale detail and fullsize pilot and working speed boards 24 1/4#
engine is jet central falcon
stock tailpipe
supplied fuel tanks + uat
matchboxes, jettronic gear sequeencer, jettronic brakes
jr 8411''s all around , 9411 on rudder
gyro
2-6 volt nicads-recr 1400mah each
2 cell lith 4800 ecu
1# lead in nose for correct CG

POINT IS GUYS THIS JET NEEDS TO HAVE 20# + thrust to fly this bird , keep that in mind if you add all the goodies to one!
the 16 -17# weight is impossible to get to
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43532.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	929220  
Old 04-14-2008, 08:45 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: skymaster f-86diet?

Damn thats perdy.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:53 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

gerry, did you get to maiden her yet. looks like some rough weather for you over the weekend. see you in fl. barry
Old 04-14-2008, 09:02 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Gery,

It sure looks nice! Good luck on the maiden...........I hope that the intake is enough to feed your Falcon.

Tailwinds,

John

Name:	Ec87464.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	929250  
Old 04-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Gerry,
The specs on the SM website should be totally revised. Mine weighs 24lbs and we found out that it will not fly (for long) on a P-60. The tailpipe supplied by SM is 3.5" dia which is not the correct size for a 14lb thrust motor. My SM F-86 is being repowered with a P-80.
V..
BTW: your Saber looks awesome...
Old 04-15-2008, 06:29 AM
smokin-gun

barry -going to fly it next wed and thurs in sarasota.
john, intake will be fine when flying , and on ground hatch will be off , with open install there is plenty of air.
david carter in fla. is flying his w/a p120
Old 04-15-2008, 09:30 AM
john agnew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gerry

Very nice and unusual paint scheme. Skymasters (And they are not alone!) always underestimate the weight of their jets. It is a most frustrating habit, if you have bought a jet for a particular turbine and it ends up being not enough power![:@]

John
Old 04-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

I know there''s such a thing as a pipe being too small for a given engine, but I didn''t know there was such a thing as one being too big. We tried some different pipes on a Starfire, including the smaller diameter pipe that we bought for a Simjet 1200 and a Tamjets P-120 pipe. There was no difference in performance AT ALL with the bigger pipe and smaller engine. In fact, the plane ran much cooler on the larger pipecontrary to what several experts predicted.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Vincent

Shawn,
I had the discussion with an expert on the subject...Bob Wilcox. He said the 3.5" intake pipe with 3.25" exit is sized for the P-80-120 motors and it will create a large dynamic thrust loss for the P-60.
V..
Old 04-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: Vincent

Shawn,
I had the discussion with an expert on the subject...Bob Wilcox. He said the 3.5" intake pipe with 3.25" exit is sized for the P-80-120 motors and it will create a large dynamic thrust loss for the P-60.
V..

Vicente,

That''s great. I''m just saying what actually happened in deliberate experiments we conducted when we got different answers from different experts.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:54 AM
cactusflyer

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Shawn,
V..

Vicente,

That''''s great. I''''m just saying what actually happened in deliberate experiments we conducted when we got different answers from different experts.
The devil is in the details, Sean. When you say bigger vs. smaller etc. It all depends on the the actual numbers. I spoke with another EXPERT in the field about the PARTICULAR DIMENSIONS of the Skymaster pipe....3.5" at the bell mouth and 3" at the exit, and the comment was, "That''s a 120 pipe, he got no pressure, no thrust".

Undoubtedly, a small engine will run cooler with a big tailpipe. It would even be cooler at half throttle or not running at all!. I think that the big pipe/small engine problem is compounded by the minimal intake area. There is simply no extra air to augment the thrust that the large bell mouth needs.

It would be interesting to see the installed thrust of a Falcon, P-80 or P-120 along with the EGTs with the hatch on and off. The inlet area on that bird looks small for a P-60. IMHO

John
Old 04-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: cactusflyer

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Shawn,
V..

Vicente,

That''''''''s great. I''''''''m just saying what actually happened in deliberate experiments we conducted when we got different answers from different experts.
The devil is in the details, Sean. When you say bigger vs. smaller etc. It all depends on the the actual numbers. I spoke with another EXPERT in the field about the PARTICULAR DIMENSIONS of the Skymaster pipe....3.5" at the bell mouth and 3" at the exit, and the comment was, "That''''s a 120 pipe, he got no pressure, no thrust".

Undoubtedly, a small engine will run cooler with a big tailpipe. It would even be cooler at half throttle or not running at all!. I think that the big pipe/small engine problem is compounded by the minimal intake area. There is simply no extra air to augment the thrust that the large bell mouth needs.

It would be interesting to see the installed thrust of a Falcon, P-80 or P-120 along with the EGTs with the hatch on and off. The inlet area on that bird looks small for a P-60. IMHO

John

Jean,

I''m sure that''s all correct. My experience was in no way universal, I''m sure. Some of the EXPERTS I consulted ended up (undoubtedly some of the same EXPERTS you refer to) being dead wrong about what was to happen in my specific application with my specific equipment. I have no doubt that under different specs, what you''re saying would happen would happen.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Vincent

Hi John,
There is a guy in Florida flying one with a P-120 so there must be enough air to support my P-80 choice. I cannot understand how SM can list this jet on their website at 16-17lbs and recommend P-60/70 power. From what i can see the jet needs a P-80 and up for power. The tailpipe and fuel capacity (110oz) indicates and large size motor ?? but yet they say P-60 will fly it. I in fact did try to fly mine and ended up ditching it in the desert when it would not climb out. I am waiting for some answers from SM on my situation and hope to have some relief from them.
V..[:@]
Old 04-15-2008, 12:15 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Feibo one (same dimensions) and have flown it on a falcon and on the P-70. Mine came out around 17 lbs with no gear doors, no arms.

On the P-70, it was a DOG. It would only fly, and took a lot of runway to get off.

On the falcon, it is a very fun airplane to fly.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:38 PM
cactusflyer

Vin,

I heard about the incident from a of couple sources[]. It sounded like the classic under-powered ducted fans days from yesteryear.........barely enough power to get the thing airborne (static thrust) then not enough power to accelerate to an adequate maneuvering speed ( dynamic thrust)........Then the power/thrust started going away. Possibly due to increasing EGT with the gear doors shut and inadequate airflow through the inlet. Just because there is a guy flying one with a P-120 doesn''t mean that it is correct.....After all there is/was a guy that flew one with a P-60....................

Sean,

I''m still not sure that the "expert" was wrong. In your case, you were testing the pipe with a Starfire which is easily capable of exceeding 200 mph with a Simjet 1200.........with or without the proper pipe set up. And I''m sure that you would not knowingly exceed that AMA limitation. Additionally, the Starfire has HUGE intakes. These would facilitate the large pipe with and an excessive amount of augmentation air and keep things running cool. As always, there is more to the story than "size matters".

Tailwinds,

John

Old 04-15-2008, 12:47 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

I purchased a Grippen ARF + in white primer. I decided to see how much weight I could save by wet sanding the primer until I could start to see the grey gel coat. I weighed the airframe before sanding and after sanding. I removed nearly a pound of weight. If there is taht much primer on these airframes, it makes you wonder how much paint is applied.

Kirk

Name:	Ki18508.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	929723  
Old 04-15-2008, 01:20 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vin
Next time buy BVM...
Works as Advertised all pictures and specifications are of BVM products.
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 04-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Vincent

Kirk,
There is a 7-8lb !!! difference between the advertised weight on the SM web site and the ACTUAL finished weight. That is a lot of paint !!! I have no problem with the 24lb weight if i had known that up front i would not have purchased a P-60 for power and would still have a jet to fly now. Even with the weight issue i emailed Anton and he assured me that a P-60 would power the jet fine. Does he really know what is going on with his product line or what !!!
V..
Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 PM
smokin-gun

joe.......are you on the payroll ? or just drinking the purple kool-aid ????????
Old 04-15-2008, 02:09 PM
smokin-gun

kirk, on a plane the size of a grippen with a shiny clearcoated finish it woud not be out of the ordinary to have a 1 1/2 -2 # paint and primer, and the primer weigh''s the most
Old 04-15-2008, 03:59 PM
RonLongAZ
My Feedback: (29)

Well it looks to me like another model co with little or no honor. They build a product advertise it collect your money and then when the specs don''t match and the pipe is a one size fits all the weight does not match the advertisement You drop thousands of dollars into the project thinking you bought a quality product and then hear all the excuses of why it did not perform. This is the part about this hobby that makes me sick. I Personally Know Vin. He knows how to fly , If the plane takes off makes half a turn then desends slowly under full power I would say that is a low thrust issue.
It would be Vins Issue if he just slaped a P-60 in there because he wanted to, But SKY MASTER has the motor recommended on the advertisement.
This makes it there problem. Do the research, build the product advertise the product and then here is the part few get in this industry. STAND BEHIND THE PRODUCT. I think another kit is in order if Vin even wants any more SKY MASTER PRODUCT. Never had this kind of problem with BVM
or COMP ARF bUT YES THEY DO COST A LITTLE MORE.

Ron
Old 04-15-2008, 04:36 PM
smokin-gun

bvm is not just a little more a equally painted -framed and glassed 60" sabre would cost at least $5000.00-
THAT IS DOUBLE THE PRICE

the point of my post was a heads up to guys trying to match a powerplant and not to go lightly - think big!

SKYMASTER AS OF LATE HAS BEEN VERY GOOD ABOUT CUSTOMER SUPPORT AND THEIR NEW DEALERS SEEM TO BE ON THE RIGHT TRAIN OF THOUGHT ALSO!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2008, 04:37 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: arizonasun25

Well it looks to me like another model co with little or no honor. They build a product advertise it collect your money and then when the specs don''''t match and the pipe is a one size fits all the weight does not match the advertisement You drop thousands of dollars into the project thinking you bought a quality product and then hear all the excuses of why it did not perform. This is the part about this hobby that makes me sick. I Personally Know Vin. He knows how to fly , If the plane takes off makes half a turn then desends slowly under full power I would say that is a low thrust issue.
It would be Vins Issue if he just slaped a P-60 in there because he wanted to, But SKY MASTER has the motor recommended on the advertisement.
This makes it there problem. Do the research, build the product advertise the product and then here is the part few get in this industry. STAND BEHIND THE PRODUCT. I think another kit is in order if Vin even wants any more SKY MASTER PRODUCT. Never had this kind of problem with BVM
or COMP ARF bUT YES THEY DO COST A LITTLE MORE.

Ron

So Ron, your saying that if I buy a BVM kit and build it and it comes out over weight and wont fly on the the turbine I bought for it, then Bob will send me a whole new kit free of charge???? Man, what a deal!!!!

Come on
Old 04-15-2008, 04:48 PM
two dogs
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Gerry.......that is one pretty model........wait until you see it fly....you will love it!!

call me when you get to fla.

David Carter
Old 04-15-2008, 04:53 PM
smokin-gun

thanks brutha, will do- we are looking to be at the field wed about 11:00 am if that works for you.
and i beleive eric clapp wants to be there also.
looking forward to it!!!!!!!!![sm=shades_smile.gif]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.