Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Avonds F-14 Fibreglass fuselage

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Avonds F-14 Fibreglass fuselage

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Stig Andersen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avonds F-14 Fibreglass fuselage

Hi all.

I just purchased a set of drawings for the Avonds F-14 from Hobbybarn.com. I looked briefly in here for some hints and tips, and I think I saw, in one of the threads, a fibregalss fuselage for the Avonds F-14. Is there anywhere I can purchase this fibreglass fuse? It would save me an awefull lot of work.... But I like the idea of building the F-14 from scratch and placing one engine in the middle, like on the sport scale SU-27 from Liebetrau... Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:38 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Avonds F-14 Fibreglass fuselage

Avonds' website [link]http://www.avonds.com/index.htm[/link] doesn't mention the F-14 but there is a contact link so you can send an email and ask about it. The shipping costs from Belgium to Denmark shouldn't be too bad.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Rider-60
My Feedback: (17)

Hi Stig,

JHI has (or at least had) a fiberglass fuse that would match the avonds plans.

I have an old YA kit but I'm missing the mechanical parts (gear, wing pivot and swing mechanism) if someone could help me find those even damaged ones....

Thanks
Florent
Old 04-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Mike Emilio

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Stig Andersen

Hi all.

I just purchased a set of drawings for the Avonds F-14 from Hobbybarn.com. I looked briefly in here for some hints and tips, and I think I saw, in one of the threads, a fibregalss fuselage for the Avonds F-14. Is there anywhere I can purchase this fibreglass fuse? It would save me an awefull lot of work.... But I like the idea of building the F-14 from scratch and placing one engine in the middle, like on the sport scale SU-27 from Liebetrau... Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.
Go bigger. At 1/10 scale, a single engine won't fit. And if your thinking about hanging a single turbine underneath, it would sure look wierd.

When it comes to the Avonds plan, Jai Young Shim is "Mr F-14 Master". He has built them at 1/10 & 1/9 scale. He has learned the hard way from trial and error what combination works, and where alot of problems might be found.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88.../tm.htm7363859

At 1/10 scale, it's probably best to remain as a twin ducted fan. There's not much space inside, and pretty cramped if you go turbine.
It's highly recommended to go up to 1/9 scale, or 1/8 scale even better.

You should also know that some of the parts are not totally square, so watch for this when you cut out the parts.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:55 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

and the avonds parts from the plans dont fit inside the JHI or the Avonds F-14 fiberglass fuselages. I know, b/c i've owned both of them, and none of the parts fit inside the fuselage. Even larry At JHH(I) told me that his fiberglass F-14 fuse wasn't meant as a flying model and was only used as a static display for the Topgun movie, but he did say that if someone had the will, it could be adapted to a flying model.

But at 1/10 scale, their is not enough room to fit enough fuel tanks inside the fuselage. you have to put 2 external tanks to get more than approx. 4 minutes of flight time.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:06 PM
bigfrank330
My Feedback: (32)

i just saw one of these on either rcu classified or ebay
the guy said it was a dcu 1/10 and wanted 700 - or 800 for it
Old 04-20-2008, 04:08 PM
bigfrank330
My Feedback: (32)

try contacting hyrumflyer84 on rcu
that is who had one in fiberglass
Old 04-21-2008, 02:11 AM
Stig Andersen

Hello all.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll wait for the plans to arrive, and see what can be done with it. According to the Hobbybarn.com website, the Avonds F-14 is 2 meter wingspan/ approx. 1/9th scale. In my part of the world, that is an OK size.... [)]

http://hobbybarn.com/proddetail.php?prod=F14PLANS
Old 04-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Mike Emilio

BigFrank, , ,
I could be wrong, but I believe it started out as a DCU kit, then at some point, taken over by Jet Mart, or was it JHH. So they are basically one and the same F-14 models.

Stig, , ,
Whatever scale it is from Hobby barn, it's very highly recommended by many builders of those Hobby Barn plans to go bigger!
It's not so bad inside if staying with twin ducted fans, but it's a real tight fit for turbine. You'll have to be quite inventive with the fuel arrangement.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:32 PM
invertmast

Being one of the guys who spent over $500 building the 1/10! version of the Avonds/hobby barn F-14. I'm telling you, their is NOT enough room for fuel for TWIN turbines (the only way a F-14 should be built IMO). Now that being said, it may be possible to build it w/ enough fuel for a single turbine, but i'm not sure, you would have to do alot of design changes to the layout of the fuselage and have about 6 different tanks in different configurations in different positions of the fuselage, possibly up to 12-18" away from each other
Old 04-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Mike Emilio

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Being one of the guys who spent over $500 building the 1/10! version of the Avonds/hobby barn F-14. I'm telling you, their is NOT enough room for fuel for TWIN turbines (the only way a F-14 should be built IMO). Now that being said, it may be possible to build it w/ enough fuel for a single turbine, but i'm not sure, you would have to do alot of design changes to the layout of the fuselage and have about 6 different tanks in different configurations in different positions of the fuselage, possibly up to 12-18" away from each other
Anything is possible. Iv'e already looked into that. But the size of the plane to fit one turbine inside is quite large!
At 1/5 scale, you would get about a 5" diameter engine bay in the center, using a bifurcated pipe.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94508.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	934158  
Old 04-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The airplane was developed by JHH for the movie Top Gun, and some point through time, DCU began kitting it. I believe this airplane is now the Jet Mart USA F-14 Tomcat.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:58 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: Mike Emilio

Anything is possible. Iv'e already looked into that. But the size of the plane to fit one turbine inside is quite large!
At 1/5 scale, you would get about a 5" diameter engine bay in the center, using a bifurcated pipe.

Mike.. no need for enlargement for a single turbine. Keep it at 1/10 scale mount the turbine in the back on the underside between the 2 engine ducts. Wala no tailpipe, not 200" long F-14. But it still wont be an F-14 IMO.

Next project for me is going to be a 1/7.5 scale F-14 all built up.. that is if i ever get this YA F-18 twin done.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:42 AM
Stig Andersen

Thanks for the replies, guys.
I want to keep it simple. I like the idea of having a single engine between the two engine ducts without a tailpipe. Or maybe a short pipe, if there are proplems obtaining correct CG. I know it is not scale, but in this case I dont mind. The F-14 will become very complex as it is.

Keep the good idea, hints and tips coming.[)]
Old 04-22-2008, 04:21 AM
ntyhobbies

Hi Guys, I have been reading with great interest the comments and ideas in this excellent thread. What I was wondering is who, how, where can I obtain the enlarged f-14 plan set from? I would go the 1/7.5 scale I think but not 100% yet. I don't mind an involved build as after all the hard work it will be more than worth it - and it will be made by my own fair hands which makes it even sweeter!

Any advise etc is most welcome.....................it's awesome that this iconic jet is being kept alive in the world of r/c.........great job guys!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Mike Emilio

ORIGINAL: ntyhobbies

Hi Guys, I have been reading with great interest the comments and ideas in this excellent thread. What I was wondering is who, how, where can I obtain the enlarged f-14 plan set from? I would go the 1/7.5 scale I think but not 100% yet. I don't mind an involved build as after all the hard work it will be more than worth it - and it will be made by my own fair hands which makes it even sweeter!

Any advise etc is most welcome.....................it's awesome that this iconic jet is being kept alive in the world of r/c.........great job guys!
I have them.
This is at 1/8 sacle but I also have them at 1/7 scale. I'll send you a pm showing the 1/7 scale.

Name:	Mk27615.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	934502  
Old 04-22-2008, 12:11 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thomas,

To emphatically state there is not enough room is incorrect in my experience. I have a 1/10 scale F-14 (Jet-Mart) with TWIN turbines (Bees) that actually has flown and flies, so it CAN be and has been done. Granted, it does not carry 10 mins. worth of fuel, but does carry enough to do more than 2-3 circuits. Would a bigger one be easier, of course, but the costs and problems associated with trying to obtain the correct equipment/components for the bigger sizes can/will be exponetially greater if not impossible for all but a very few select individuals who have the ability to produce their own parts, that is unless SM comes out with one, then the 14 will not be so rare. [&:]

George
Old 04-22-2008, 12:37 PM
ntyhobbies

Hi George,

Any chance you can post a couple of pics of your 'cat to let us potential builders see the finished item?

Nice one!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:44 PM
George

Hi George,

Any chance you can post a couple of pics of your 'cat to let us potential builders see the finished item?

Nice one!
These are the only ones I have with me (out of town), but have more detailed ones of the internals at home.

Name:	Qo38864.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	934678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55075.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	934679  
Old 04-22-2008, 12:47 PM
George

Here a few of Bryce W's WJM F-14 before it was lost. []

Name:	Bz77295.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	934680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47318.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	934681   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27118.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	934682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm31219.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	934683  
Old 04-22-2008, 12:54 PM
ntyhobbies

ORIGINAL: George

Hi George,

Nice one!
These are the only ones I have with me (out of town), but have more detailed ones of the internals at home.

Wow! Lovely example there George, is yours 1/10 scale or larger? I love the colour scheme and the pics of the other F-14 you posted are just beautiful............really looking forward to getting this build up and running soon as..........

Did you build yours George? Glass or Balsa fuse?

Cheers.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:01 PM
George

Yes, both pictured are Jet Mart 1/10 scale kits with fiberglass fuses. And no, I did not build it, Adil Nasim of New Jersey was the original builder/owner/pilot. The second one was Bryce Watson's and he built and flew it in preparation for the WJM.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:00 PM
ChrisPetersen
My Feedback: (3)

I have a dcu Tomcat and I recently sold a JHH 1/10 fiberglass fuse/wing core "kit" And I can say that they are definetely Not the same. The jhh is a beautiful fuse. But it has no panel lines and is no where near as detailed as the dcu/jetmart kit. and when you study the two there is differences in the shapes on the bodys.
But in all honesty it would be a project but the jhh fuse seems to me like it would save a boatload of work over the avonds plans.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:29 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: George

Thomas,

To emphatically state there is not enough room is incorrect in my experience. I have a 1/10 scale F-14 (Jet-Mart) with TWIN turbines (Bees) that actually has flown and flies, so it CAN be and has been done. Granted, it does not carry 10 mins. worth of fuel, but does carry enough to do more than 2-3 circuits. Would a bigger one be easier, of course, but the costs and problems associated with trying to obtain the correct equipment/components for the bigger sizes can/will be exponetially greater if not impossible for all but a very few select individuals who have the ability to produce their own parts, that is unless SM comes out with one, then the 14 will not be so rare. [&:]

George

George,
just to clarify i was referring to the built up all balsa/ply version. If built per the DF plans, their wasn't enough fuel tank space available IMO to continue any farther w/ the build (fuselage completely build and tail ready for sheeting). That being said, "enough" fuel space IMO is enough for for a reasonable flight (6-8 minutes). You've got a beautiful cat, i'm still debating on if im interested (both financially and long term) in doing a built up 1/7 F-14. It would be a looooonnnnnngggg project, as everything involved would be one off parts, and probly isn't worth the expense. I'll probly just wait for SM to come out with theirs.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:48 AM
socshooter
My Feedback: (45)

Mike Emilio,

I have the YA f-14. Im very interested in the plans for the 1/7 scale F-14. Here's my email, [email protected]... Thank you in advance.

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.