Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Half a million sites hacked same as us

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Half a million sites hacked same as us

Old 04-29-2008, 09:21 AM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Half a million sites hacked same as us

The following was posted by the RCAdmin in the moderator’s forum. I wanted to post it here also to help dispel all the rumors going on about the recent RCU down time.

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

This gives more info on what we were dealing with on these recent hacks. half a million sites were hit

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20...oft-datab.html

marc
Here is another link to Forbes for those that want to read more about this hack going on.
http://www.forbes.com/technology/200..._0428hack.html
Old 04-29-2008, 09:35 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Half a million sites hacked same as us

... and the typical Microsoft responce - "its not our problem, users are dumb..." [:'(]

Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 AM
acw
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Actually, in this case, SQL injections are caused by poor use of Microsoft's software layer. I suspect the message board software is at fault.

It is good to have RCU back!

Arnaud
Old 04-29-2008, 11:03 AM
scaleMan
My Feedback: (92)

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

... and the typical Microsoft responce - "its not our problem, users are dumb..." [:'(]

users are dumb....
Old 04-29-2008, 11:10 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: scaleMan

users are dumb....

Yea, look at the spelling of response!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:20 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

users are dumb....
Agree entirely I deal with "users" all day long and you wouldn't believe some of the s**t I come across on a daily basis.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:31 PM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: saramos

Yea, look at the spelling of response!
Nice! I habitually misspell that word, so I rarely worry about it - especially in a forum that doesn't have an on-line spell checker. BTW, if you want to compare technical skills, background, or general IQ anytime, just let me know.

So, 500,000+ sites use Microsoft software that has an exploitable hole that Microsoft knew about but didn’t put any provision for checking or warning users about, but its not Microsoft’s fault?!? Typical, but I guess all the users were so thrilled that their crap worked at all that they just forgave them…
Old 04-29-2008, 01:08 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Wow. Blaming Microsoft is like blaming a car manufacture when someone gets in a wreck because they didn't apply the brakes. This attack was a SQL injection attack. If you don't know what that means, look it up. This attack is attributed to lazy developers not taking the proper security precautions, allowing hackers to submit bogus database queries. And by the way, it wasn't 500,000 web sites that was attacked but rather, 500,000 web pages (a web site can have more than one page).

[link=http://blogs.computerworld.com/is_microsoft_at_fault_for_web_site_crackin_spree]http://blogs.computerworld.com/is_microsoft_at_fault_for_web_site_crackin_spree[/link]

Kirk
Old 04-29-2008, 01:15 PM
scaleMan

BTW, if you want to compare technical skills, background, or general IQ anytime, just let me know.
don't fret, we all know your the smartest...
Old 04-29-2008, 02:12 PM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: k_sonn

Wow. Blaming Microsoft is like blaming a car manufacture when someone gets in a wreck because they didn't apply the brakes. This attack was a SQL injection attack. If you don't know what that means, look it up. This attack is attributed to lazy developers not taking the proper security precautions, allowing hackers to submit bogus database queries. And by the way, it wasn't 500,000 web sites that was attacked but rather, 500,000 web pages (a web site can have more than one page).

[link=http://blogs.computerworld.com/is_microsoft_at_fault_for_web_site_crackin_spree]http://blogs.computerworld.com/is_microsoft_at_fault_for_web_site_crackin_spree[/link]

Kirk
That's not a very good analogy - it’s more like blaming a car manufacturer for making a set of brakes that sometimes doesn't work and not telling you. Read your own link, even that guy doesn't think Microsoft is blameless. Typical Microsoft quality control - "let's see how many horses get out of the barn before we decide of the door needs to be closed... or if there is even door at all - maybe the roof will cave in before it becomes a problem anyway..."

don't fret, we all know your the smartest...
I didn't say that. I also didn't say that somebody else was the dumbest because they didn't answer in complete sentences, they used “your” instead of “you’re” or didn’t capitalize the first letter of a sentence – none are apropos to the discussion...

Bob
Old 04-29-2008, 03:13 PM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

I've been a software development project manager in this business for a long time. Responsible development companies know that stopping SQL injection attacks is the responsibility of the developer not the responsibility of the software manufacture. It's that simple.

Kirk
Old 04-29-2008, 04:00 PM
scaleMan

I was just making a point about how obnoxious your comment was.... take a chill pill buddy, being wrong isn't all that bad... take it like a man!
Old 04-29-2008, 06:43 PM
rhklenke

I was just making a point about how obnoxious your comment was.... take a chill pill buddy, being wrong isn't all that bad... take it like a man!

Time to put this discussion in /dev/pinheads ...
Old 04-29-2008, 07:11 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made my comment more in ironic jest. I should have added an appropriate smiley. I even considered misspelling spelling.

Actually, I think both points are valid. Users are often lazy, and businesses like Microsoft are often reluctant to reveal problems to their customers.

btw, I found a small freeware app called iespell that adds a button to the IE toolbar to check spelling.
http://www.iespell.com/

Scott