Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Byron Originals T33 DF conversion to Turbine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Byron Originals T33 DF conversion to Turbine

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:09 AM
Classics

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron Originals T33 DF conversion to Turbine

I have an unbuilt Byron T33 kit that I would like to convert from DF to Turbine. Can anyone assist with technical detail on this conversion such as turbine position, placement of tanks, electronics, flight characteristics.......
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you

p.s Smile....... and your wife will wonder what the heck you are up to this time!
Old 05-07-2008, 06:12 PM
donniercjet
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Byron Originals T33 DF conversion to Turbine

byron airframes were not made for the weight and stress like todays turbine airframes. i have seen 4 d/f models literally implode because they wanted to save a couple hunderd bucks using a d/f model insted of buying a tirbine model. byron airframes are known for being "soft". if you are going to do this, you will need to re-glass the whole inside of the fuse so it is stronger and wont twist. you will also have to add several bulk heads so you cant squeeze it or distort it. byron air frames are famous for lack of vertical stab support. if you can set the fuse in your bench and grab the vert. fin and wag it or pull it back and forth without the fuse rolling it needs a bulkhead added to that also. after you get all that done, you will need to add a spar into the wing where you added another bulkhead and with the t-33 (long wings) you may need to replace the orignal spar because it is short (maybe 6 to 8 inches long) or make a new set of wings that you can build your spars into it. i know the gentleman that designed the byron t-33 and he hasnt built one yet. he does have a gorgous byron f-20 converted to turbine though. lots of re-engineering....
Old 05-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Where do you live on South Africa? Please PM me and I might be able to help.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

so did the conversion ever go thru and if so how has it worked out?
Old 07-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Zagzoo
My Feedback: (28)

When I converted my Byron BD-5, I added 2 (1/2 moon bulkheads) under rudder 1/3rd, and 2/3rds of the lenght. I removed the 1/8" wing bulkheads and installed 1/4" plywood ones. I ended up using 1" wide, 2-3oz (cant remember) carbon fibre cloth tape around all bulkheads as well for added strenght. I also sheeted the wings for extra strenght, I didnt glass the wings, Im planning on doing them next winter.

search for a thread called "winter project: byron bd-5" towards the end it shows the reinforcement I did to it.

Frank
Old 07-04-2009, 06:33 AM
Carols Love

Byrons t-33 doesn't need to be re-engineered if you use a small turbine I still have one that was converted 3 Years ago flew fine with pst 600. If you don't overpower air craft IT WILL FLY .
Old 07-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Ram-bro

Hey "Love", I have the Byron's T33 also converted to turbine with a Ram 750. Where is the Center Gravity? What i sthe thrust of your pst 600?
Old 07-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Carols Love

There shoud be holes in fuse at wing root to supend it from I'll measure where they are and let you know distances. 14 lbs
Old 07-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Ram-bro

I will check also....thanks