Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

bv packs it in ?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

bv packs it in ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:46 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: bv packs it in ?

ORIGINAL: RicVaughn

As for cutting edge technology, I had my unlimited glider there. It's the latest in a series of gliders that I have won four National Electric Sailplane Championships.

Ric
Should we bow now or later?? Scotty
Old 05-17-2008, 08:58 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: GSR

As for cutting edge technology, I had my unlimited glider there. It's the latest in a series of gliders that I have won four National Electric Sailplane Championships.

Ric
Should we bow now or later?? Scotty
Nail on head. You make me laugh Scotty!
Old 05-17-2008, 08:59 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

How would you feel if your plane that was flying a quarter mile away was taken out by the EDF? The AMA doesn't care about feeling when insurance claims are involved. I really don't think there is any question weather the plane was in the right area or not. Just the actions that followed.

Ric
I was under the impression that there were NO MID Airs with 450 pilots,correction 448, Or is this a what if & since when did the AMA cover aircraft lost in mid airs .
Semper Fi

Joe
Scotty , How was the dinner at LA jets ? five star....
Old 05-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

I was not at SEFF and am not affiliated with anyone in this contest of will and recollection. But I would just like to make an observation. I think enough time has elapsed to let all the steam blow off and it's probably time to move on for all of our sakes. I would sincerely hope we can allow the guys directly involved a little breathing room to make their own decisions about what happened and collect some positive learning points, if possible, about the crappy arsed situation that developed. Maybe we can come together in some way even if it's a decision to agree to disagree. Move forward on going about everyone's business of getting some enjoyment out of their lives again without jumping all over the collective soar constantly.

Let's fly, design and build some jets.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:31 PM
pmpjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me start by saying I had the utmost respect for BV both as a combat pilot and as a model manufacturer. I have seen him demo the electric jets at several small E fly-ins around Florida. Normally when he went up everyone else came down and watched. His products are second to none. However as one of the "other" 447 pilots who were there at SEFF I was shocked to see The ElectroJet scream down the runway, through the designated Park Flier area and on through the 3D designated area before pulling up and out back into the pattern. SEFF is open to all electric powered aircraft and there is an unlimited number of different types of aircraft involved. The staff has done an outstanding job of keeping like types together and away from radicaly different types. This only works as long as everyone observes the designated flight areas. Case in point there were no interarea midairs at SEFF this year. There was a good number of other pilots flying high performance aircraft this year and most were able to stay within the designated Sport Plane area. If they strayed into the wrong area they were warned and straightened up. The BV crew was the one exception that refused to fly right. The SEFF staff was not only right but obligated to call them up on this for the safety of the other 447 of us. I have known Jeff and Mac for several years now and think you would be hard pressed to find two more accomidating or easier to get along with people. It is a shame that BV and crew felt that the field rule were ment for everyone else and brought this unfortunate incident down on themselves. I for one am planning on going back to SEFF next year and could care less if BV shows up.

John
Old 05-17-2008, 09:47 PM
jfetter

ORIGINAL: R_Belluomini

Gordon
Good point, but BV never violated the pattern he merely flew very far up wind along the backside of the center flying area...
I beg to differ, I was FLYING during this time and I can assure you his "right down the center at speed", into the next area by 600', was absolutely violating the pattern! Everyone else was flying at a 30 - 45 degree angle, except for takeoff and landing but the BVM jet was repeatedly making speed runs down the center, there was no attempt to fly the pattern.

The entire story is over at RCG, I won't bore you with the full details but pretty much 8 to 10 folks have put together the peices they saw/heard first-hand into a full account. Bob was likely tired, late, maybe crabby but no attempt was made to fly the pattern, let's set that straight right now. By the way, likely no mention of this other than the folks that saw/heard it would have likely come out until Bob posted on his site, pretty childish...

Jack
Old 05-17-2008, 10:10 PM
jfetter

ORIGINAL: jentres

...I will never go to SEFF again. Seems like cutting edge technology is not welcome there.

Tres
Yea, you may want to get a grip on yourself there future-boy. please, the technology is simply too extreme for me, let's see... Take an existing motor, pair it with an existing ESC, slap it into an existing airframe and then design a new fan for it all, wow, cutting edge stuff! Can anyone say "schuebeler", seems he did it 5 years ago with better results.

Some of you jet guys come across pretty elitest, we all use the same gear so let's not get high smelling our own farts and start thinking us prop-spinning stick-twisters can't understand the difference. There was a 24" F16 with at least 15 MPH on the Electra managing to stay in the pattern, what this entire discussion is all about.

Jack
Old 05-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Tram
My Feedback: (6)

I will never go to SEFF again. Seems like cutting edge technology is not
welcome there.

Tres
You'll be sorely missed...
Old 05-17-2008, 10:39 PM
jfetter

...I will never go to SEFF again. Seems like cutting edge technology is not welcome there.

Tres
Hmmm... Nope, nothing here... Wait, yes, I checked, seems "cutting edge technology" is welcome at SEFF... Uh huh... Yeah... Oh darn, seems A-holes are out next year...

Jack
Old 05-17-2008, 10:47 PM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

[]
Old 05-17-2008, 11:15 PM
lavochkin

Dustin,

Funny how 8 to 10 other pilots who were there saw things completely different than you. It was verified that the BVM EDF was in the 3D area. That's 1300 feet, a quarter mile, from where it was to be flown. To do this required the plane to be behind the flight line. Thus violating the AMA safety rules. Everyone seems to talk about pilot skill, therefore it is only possible to be there by flying counter to all flight rules. Also, I think you said you flew one of the planes. Did you attend the pilot meeting, or did you get a briefing from a flight line boss as to the flight rules BEFORE you flew? Also, doesn't it strike you odd that there were 448 pilots there and only one was asked to leave.

Ric
Well geez Dick! Tell us how you see it Dick! Cause your way is the right way Dick! Not mine,Not BV's, but yours Dick. You the almighty Seff guy Dick! See what would happen to you if you guys would of yelled at me like that during a flight Dick! Bob V was an angel Dick compared to me! And as for Jeff who ever the hell cares about his last name, wel....... Now if Bob would of hit someone or something cause of the ignorant and rude way you approached him Dick, dont ya think there would of been trouble Dick? Seff is mediocre at best Dick! It was cool to say I went there and done that Dick, but so is riding a moped Dick. But I dont want my friends to know Dick! Ya know Dick? So go back to rcg and cry Dick and leave Dustin B, Dave M and every other hardcore fast and large jet guy alone Dick!
The moral of this story is dont be a "Dick", Dick.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Dustin Buescher

Dustin,

Funny how 8 to 10 other pilots who were there saw things completely different than you. It was verified that the BVM EDF was in the 3D area. That's 1300 feet, a quarter mile, from where it was to be flown. To do this required the plane to be behind the flight line. Thus violating the AMA safety rules. Everyone seems to talk about pilot skill, therefore it is only possible to be there by flying counter to all flight rules. Also, I think you said you flew one of the planes. Did you attend the pilot meeting, or did you get a briefing from a flight line boss as to the flight rules BEFORE you flew? Also, doesn't it strike you odd that there were 448 pilots there and only one was asked to leave.

Ric

Ric,

Yes, I do beleive it was odd that Bob Violett was the only person asked to leave of 448.

You may note I never argued the fact that bob's electra was "out of bounds". The rule violated had different interpritations depending on who you asked. I read the flight rules on the back side of my name badge before I flew. My flight was never in question.

Trust me there were never 8-10 people present during the "discussions" between Jeff and Bob. The worst display from jeff happend when Jeff, Bob, Mac, and I were alone.

No person was ever in danger by the flight path of the electra flight. I felt bob should have been given a warning after the flight, just like what would have been done at any other event, not insulted during and after his flight.

enjoy your popcorn guys!!
Old 05-17-2008, 11:39 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I think there are a few very important things to be learned from all of this.

1. BV can do no wrong
2. BV can do no right
3. None of it makes any difference

The lamest part of this whole entire thing IMO is that BV felt the need to post it on his website. To be honest, just from that alone I would tend to side with the SEFF crowd on what happened. Being defensive before anyone even knows something happened is stupid.
I own 2 BVM jets and I do think his product is very good. I have also talked with BV on the phone as well as in person at Superman 2004 and know that he will never with an award for being a humanitarian.

The say that any publicity is good publicity, but the recent posts BV has had on his website do nothing to speak of a man who supposedly supports this hobby for the modeller but more of the ramblings of somebody who feels he needs to protect himself whenever possible, even when nothing has seemingly happened.

As has already been stated in this thread as well as the thread at RCG, 99% of the people here didn't even know something happened, and never would have if it was never posted on BV's website.

Just my 2 cents
Old 05-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Dustin Buescher

JFetter,

I only stayed in GA on saturday because I had already planned a trip to Thailand departing from ATL on sunday morning. I hope this is reasonable justification...

I also spoke with Jeff Sat morning to make sure I was still welcome on the site. He said yes, his propblem was with bob, and I can respect him for that.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Tram
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: lavochkin
Well geez Dick! Tell us how you see it Dick! Cause your way is the right way Dick! Not mine,Not BV's, but yours Dick. You the almighty Seff guy Dick! See what would happen to you if you guys would of yelled at me like that during a flight Dick! Bob V was an angel Dick compared to me! And as for Jeff who ever the hell cares about his last name, wel....... Now if Bob would of hit someone or something cause of the ignorant and rude way you approached him Dick, dont ya think there would of been trouble Dick? Seff is mediocre at best Dick! It was cool to say I went there and done that Dick, but so is riding a moped Dick. But I dont want my friends to know Dick! Ya know Dick? So go back to rcg and cry Dick and leave Dustin B, Dave M and every other hardcore fast and large jet guy alone Dick!
The moral of this story is dont be a "Dick", Dick.
Me thinks you've got waaay too much... dick... on the brain......
Old 05-18-2008, 02:25 AM
lavochkin

Well thats his name .....right? Rick, richard, or "DICK"! [:'(]
Old 05-18-2008, 03:58 AM
AMA234
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dustin,

Ric

Ive been following this thread but I did not attend the meet so I have no comments other than the fact that you only have 2 posts and it appears that you came on here only to bash people.... go away.
Oh and by the way, try not to break your arm patting yourself on the back. Whooptie doo...

Dustin,
Thanks for the Showtime 90, it still lives with an O.S 120!
Les
Old 05-18-2008, 05:52 AM
rcpete2

I know why his name is Dick
Old 05-18-2008, 08:10 AM
jfetter

Folks are now resorting to calling each other names, some of whom have no first-hand knowledge of what transpired. It's one thing to say what happened in your post, which Ric can do because here was there, Dustin because he was there but when someone resorts to calling someone a name or personal insults, don't you think it's gone too far? Some of you jet guys are jumping on Bob's side, fine but leave the personal attacks at the door.

Yes, use sarcasm to make your point, use humor but for Pete’s sake stop with the personal attacks over something that is clearly a "my team versus your team" type of argument. Bob has a great company that makes a superb product but that doesn't mean he is great or superb. What he displayed that day was anything other than a model citizen (see, using humor here) and despite how the other folks acted still could have walked away and acted like a professional.

No one denies Bob has an abrasive personality, no one argues he won’t throw down if challenged, no one argues he was not flying within the events flight pattern but then for some reason, a few folks jump to the opposite conclusion from there. The SEFF guys are great guys, I watched them even treat people with abrasive personalities with southern hospitality, I have never met a group of folks that were that friendly, all of them! They somehow put together a large event that has the kind of hospitality and general warm feeling that I doubt you could duplicate, not sure the recipe but it works.

So those that jump on the SEFF team over Bob remember that Bob is known for this, the SEFF guys not so much. As someone pointed out "just check out their posts over at RCG" as a way to say some of the event organizers are rude, please do. You'll find folks that answer questions (even if combined with a nasty comments or a rude approach) and somehow manage to remain friendly and courteous to folks even though they are barraged with posts for 2 months before and 1 after. Don't make this personal, look at the evidence and judge rationally, no matter how much BVM logo'ed hardware you own (or don't)...

Jack
Old 05-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

Everyone has had a chance to state his opinion of this incident but now the topic is taking a really bad turn. It is time to shut it down.