Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

compressor stall

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

compressor stall

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:11 AM
c_makhija

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default compressor stall

Hi Guys,

After 4 years and appox 400+ turbine flights on different airplanes my dream run came to an end due to the turbine compressor stall
on my avonds rafale. Only the left wing is damaged because i could not make it back to the r/w, so hopefully i can have it fixed.

Roger at wren was very helpful in explaining to me the reasons behind a compressor stall.He told me in maneuvers like tailslides,spins or even a split S, do not bring the throttle stick all the way back to idle and open throttle rapidly. In fact he told me to
have at least 1/4 throttle open when performing all these maneuvers.

So all you rafale, euro and 3d flyer's watch out for your throttle stick position next time.

Best Regards
Chaitanya.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:07 PM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: compressor stall

Hmmm
Sounds like time to add the dual rate or idle up to the throttle.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:19 AM
c_makhija

That sounds like a good idea.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:40 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've obviously been out of jets too long.. How do you know you had compressor stall? how does compressor stall cause you to crash?

Jason
Old 05-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Spartan Missile

I've got a nice compressor wheel you can have !
I'll post a picture later.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:19 AM
B1Driver
My Feedback: (26)

I had one with my Euro. I was flying full throttle for a low pass when I realized I wasnt lined up nicely with the runway so I decided to abort it. I rapidley (and stupidly) pulled up on the sticks so aggressively that I disrupted the airflow in the intake. It no kidding sounded like thunder. Fortunately I kept my upline and the turbine recovered for an immediate landing. After soiling myself, I called up Eric and he said that he did not see how it would/could damage the turbine so I've flown it since about 20 flights without incident. (This is not including my bad ECU battery which caused 2 flameouts at Austin Jets)

v/r
Luis
Old 05-21-2008, 01:52 PM
c_makhija

Hi Jason, Luis

I was in a full thrust vertical climb and brought the thrust down to idle, let the speed bleed off while still climbing then did a 360 degree
roll let the plane fall on its back. Once the plane was pointing downward i opened 1/2 thrust rapidly and pulled out of the dive.
The engine sounded like it came down to idle and then back to around 1/2 which was my stick position and next thing i saw a flame
about a foot long from the tailpipe. I loss thrust and landed short of the r/w.

I described the whole thing to Roger and he advised me these are typical symptoms of a compressor stall.

Spartan, thanks a lot for the offer but Sara is taking good care of me with her lightning fast replies.

Chaitanya.