Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spektrum 2.4 Did You know? UPDATE Finally

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spektrum 2.4 Did You know? UPDATE Finally

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:17 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Spectrum 2.4 Did You know? I didn't!

DavidR...good post. Makes me feel a bit better.

I have a boat load of PCM stuff, so I may slowly convert over.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:23 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

HI all, is their anyone out their that has used a I4C Power Isolator with 2.4. I did the switch on my Kingcat and am getting a little concerned now, if it is compadable with 2.4
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82486.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	958379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75666.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	958380  
Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 PM
David Gladwin

Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts

The flashing lights are merely an indication that the system has suffered a power failure , which you created in this instance by switching off the Rx then on agian. It has NO effect on system operation. (Source: Dave Ribbe of Horizon) The way to clear the lights flashing is switch off BOTH rx and tx and then restart.

Switching on the tx and then the Rx immediately, within a second or less, has no effect on the connection of my Spektrum systems.

Spektrum 2.4 works to perfection in three jets for me, including aSavex L39 where EVERYTHING is in very close proximity, except for one remote which is mounted in the wing. That remote always gives the lowest fade count.

Regards, David Gladwin.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Synthetic
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say without a doubt this is a true problem. I am just saying I noticed this happen just after going into a hold. The reason I think something is going on is if I turn the receiver on right after turning the transmitter on I have problems. For instance with the jet on it's back if the retracts are extended and I turn the transmitter on and then wait 4 or 5 seconds and then turn the receiver on nothing happens unusual.

However, if I turn the transmitter on and then right away turn the receiver on my retracts...retract and then pop back into the extended position. Plus, when I turn on the receiver too quickly both interior receiver lights don't light up. When I had the lock out and then noticed I may have turned the receiver on too quickly and the lights failed I now wait a few seconds and have not any trouble at all with the system.

To me it seems like the system has to "arm" itself within just a few seconds after the transmitter is switched on.

I could be all wet but for me I think that is what it is doing.

Don
Old 05-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Synthetic

David,
I'm not saying your wrong of course but why then does my retract system activate all on it's own when I immediately switch the receiver on but does not when I wait just a few seconds? I know there's a cause but not sure why?
Don
Old 05-27-2008, 08:42 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Synthetic

David,
I'm not saying your wrong of course but why then does my retract system activate all on it's own when I immediately switch the receiver on but does not when I wait just a few seconds? I know there's a cause but not sure why?
Don
don,
it does that because its bound that way. IF the receiver is turned on without a signal it goes into whatever failsafe you programmed. It takes a couple seconds for the transmitter to begin transmitting and for the rx to recognize guid.

So you bound it correctly with the gear down and its working as it supposed to.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:40 PM
Synthetic

Thanks Goose..
I've got to say though it kind of freaks me out when the receiver lights don't come on. I know how to reset it but I wonder what would happen if instead of resetting it I took off and flew it.
Don
Old 05-27-2008, 10:53 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont ever fly unless the rx lights are on steady
just wait 5 seconds btween tx and rx turn on.

If it happens when you turn on tx then turn rx on and it doesn't link in about 10 seconds. Move the transmitter 10 feet away, and re power the rx.

Just remember they do not actually exchange information. the transmitter sniffs then transmits, the receiver scans for programmed guid, then locks on two freqs. nothing more nothing less

IF the receiver doesn't have a link, it sends NO signal to the servo, and Low throttle, and whatever was bound with gear channel. If it loses a signal, it just freezes the last servo signal given, goes to gear bound and low throttle.

You are ok. go fly bro!!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:05 AM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Are reversing y's and trim pot y's subject to the same failures as amplified y's? or are they a differant animal...........
Old 05-28-2008, 01:07 AM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure what to do David R. Ive done all the manual says... Ive never had a JR failure yet, so Ill check it when I get my data logger (soon I hope!)
Old 05-28-2008, 01:49 AM
paulflys4fun

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

If it happens when you turn on tx then turn rx on and it doesn't link in about 10 seconds. Move the transmitter 10 feet away, and re power the rx.

Just remember they do not actually exchange information. the transmitter sniffs then transmits, the receiver scans for programmed guid, then locks on two freqs. nothing more nothing less

IF the receiver doesn't have a link, it sends NO signal to the servo, and Low throttle, and whatever was bound with gear channel. If it loses a signal, it just freezes the last servo signal given, goes to gear bound and low throttle.

I have tried to split my xl down the middle. Two rx two switches, batterys ect. I tried to bind an ar9000, and ar7000. It would not work. If i bind two ar7000 its fine. If as you are saying above is right that the receivers do not exchange information, how can you explain why it wont work with differnt receivers?

I am not saying your wrong, just interested to find out more.

Regards

Paul
Old 05-28-2008, 02:57 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

However, if I turn the transmitter on and then right away turn the receiver on my retracts...retract and then pop back into the extended position.
A friend has that happen on 36 Mhz (Australian frequency). Do you use a Jetronic valve to operate your retracts? My guess would be it's not a 2.4 issue. - John.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:13 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW
If you have electronics with there own built in failsafe, You can have a situation where when you turn on the RX, voltage is sent to everything in the system, but it takes a few seconds for the RX to get booted up and locked into the TX.
This can cause some on board electronics to not get a signal while booting up and go into there own form of failsafe.

We first noticed this on helies with a 401 gyro. When the power comes on, the gyro is looking for a signal on the gain channel to tell it to lock in whatever the rudder signal is as the neutral point. If the correct signals are not there within the first 3 seconds after power up the gyro will go into a default mode as indicated by a flashing LED. If start up was correct the LED will be solid on.

We now have informed all of the heli fliers running spectrum to check the LED status at every power up.
If the LED is flashing then cycle RX power to get it to reboot.

There could be similar things happening in a jet with gear failsafe or gyros on board or other electronics that have a built in failsafe mode.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 AM
DavidR

The gear cycling is an interesting comment. A month ago at MS Afterburner I helped a guy with his Electra. He was having the same issue but not on every startup. I had him re bind the reciever and the problem went away. Just make sure that when you re bind that you have the gear in the down position, throttle at idle, and low trim. In other words make sure that every control function is where you want it for failsafe, and startup.

I have not seen the gyro issue that flyingfool1 has seen I have a 401 on a TREX 450SE and 611's on all the rest of my helis. The gyro takes a second to initialize after the 2.4 "boots up" but I have always seen the gyros do that.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:09 PM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My fault.
I did not mean to imply that 401 boot up with Spectrum was an always thing.
Not all of the Spectrum's at our field did this, and the ones that did do it, did not do it every time.
It is just something to be conscious of and make a part of your preflight if you have other electronics that have there own electronic failsafe system.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:17 PM
c/f

Jeff Holsinger of horizon told me @ SEFF 08, that once a model is setup as desired with a transmitter that you should rebind it with everything where you would like it for the boot up process. He also told me that any lockout is default hold last command and low throttle (a total seperate condition) the Rebinding process after setup is for the positions desired during the time it takes to initialize. But when Quique crashed his prototype Toucan bipe at SEFF08 with his 12x 2.4g it looked like a down elevator command bug of Shulman/NALL 10X era,

I have on RARE occassion only with other 2.4 Spektrums in the area that after what appears to be a complete Spektrum AR7000 initialize that the servos do not track the stick movement properly without stepping noticably, I've tried to find anyone else with this problem and it seems I'm the only one so I'll just us use it in foamies and keep building trust in 2.4G FASST same TX, JR9303

FWIW
I found on a TREX 600 and the 401 that I did the final rebind after setup with gyro in the normal rate mode, the light works everytime solid, then I switch to Heading hold,

Judging on the PM's this may be of interest to some,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37436.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	958884  
Old 05-29-2008, 07:34 AM
AnthonyW

I may be mistaken, but I believe Shulman @ Nall 07' was still on 72mhz, not Spektrum.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Moerig

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: Helijet
How can 2.4 G be blamed for this??? My understanding of the technology is that the 2.4 is the link between the transmitter and the receiver. Once the processor in the receiver acquires and decodes the data it is sent to the servos. How can a lead amplified or not be influenced by a 2.4 wavelength??
You seem to be ignoring all of the other differences between Spektrum and the 'regular' JR systems. The freq is not the only difference.

e.g. the problems previously reported with certain electronic sequencers etc had nothing to do with the freq either, but were instead caused by the different operating voltage at the RX.
And they Burn out for that?
Old 05-29-2008, 12:01 PM
S_Ellzey

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: paulflys4fun

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

I have tried to split my xl down the middle. Two rx two switches, batterys ect. I tried to bind an ar9000, and ar7000. It would not work. If i bind two ar7000 its fine. If as you are saying above is right that the receivers do not exchange information, how can you explain why it wont work with differnt receivers?

I am not saying your wrong, just interested to find out more.

Regards

Paul
I just recieved my 12X and after reading some of the manual the reason for your problem is explained. This is something I had no idea was going on. According to the manual, when you bind there is two way comunication. The reciever is boadcasting what type of reciever it is, so that the transmitter will know how to comunicate with it. The warning that went with this was; if you hit the bind button when turning on the transmitter, it will lose this info, and will not work with the reciever untill a re-bind is done.

So you can not use dual recievers of different types.

Steven
Old 05-29-2008, 12:58 PM
GR7Racer

Steven....

A friend of mine ran into the same problem with binding multiple receivers to a TX. The solution isn't having both receivers the same, it's having both receivers the same protocol. From what I understand, the 7000 RX and the 6 channel RXs (6100,6200) share the same protocol, so they can be used together. The 9 and 12 channel RXs (9000, 921, 9100, 1221, etc) share the same protocol, so you can mix and match them. Haven't tried it myself, but that's what I'm hearing. Hope it helps.

KMac
Old 05-29-2008, 02:16 PM
GrayUK

ORIGINAL: Gary Jefferson

After I had my AR9000 receivers upgraded for the brownout protection I noticed the same thing with the lights flashing on the receivers when turning the receiver off and then back on...I have no idea what affect this has on range (or anything else) because everything still worked, but the solution is to turn the receiver off then turn off the transmitetr as well. Then turn them back on one more time. If you don't turn off the transmitter as well they stay flashing for some reason...Gary
I am not a Spektrum man, FASST for me, however I believe I have read somewhere that this flashing LED you are talking about indicates a signal loss and reconnect. Any Spektrum boffins confirm this??
Old 05-29-2008, 02:38 PM
Synthetic

My question about this "flashing" light thing is this..

If you turn on your transmitter and then very quickly turn on the receiver and the receiver lights are flashing....what happens if you take off and fly with it in this condition?

Don
Old 05-29-2008, 02:51 PM
c/f

As I understand it, Spektrum uses the onboard lights to identify variuos conditions, with them now having multiple software upgrade patches they have also altered the meanings of the lights as a visual troubleshoot code. I believe latest variation can indicate a low voltage and reboot occurence, With Spektrum having multiple variations of software revisions I think it would be hard to be definitive on light meanings unless one knew for certain the version software of that particular RX. I think I still have the 10 second rebooters....... It so confusing I can only get straight answers from Jeff H or John A when I see them in person..........

FWIW,

Has anyone got any 9100 free receivers from the promo? I've had two due me since 4/1/08
Old 05-29-2008, 03:16 PM
GrayUK

ORIGINAL: AnthonyW

I may be mistaken, but I believe Shulman @ Nall 07' was still on 72mhz, not Spektrum.
He was on 72 mhz at the time. Although not officially confirmed, the crash seemed to be a structural failure at the nose of the plane. BVM issued strengthening upgrade kits after that.
As has been said, David Shulman now fly’s FASST.

Synthetic
See David Gladwin's post above re: flashing LED's
Old 05-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Synthetic

Thanks...
Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.