Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Spektrum 2.4 Did You know? UPDATE Finally

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Spektrum 2.4 Did You know? UPDATE Finally

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:58 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Spectrum 2.4 Did You know? I didn't!

ORIGINAL: Synthetic

My question about this "flashing" light thing is this..

If you turn on your transmitter and then very quickly turn on the receiver and the receiver lights are flashing....what happens if you take off and fly with it in this condition?

Don
Don,
once it links with steady lights, you are ok, but dont do it this way. Let the transmitter lock in before turning on the receiver. 5 sec min. Also when you are cycling the receiver to reset ECU's and stuff like that, let the rX stay off for a few seconds, so the lights dont flash. if they do you went to fast connect mode, which locks on the last frequency first. Its not receiving full packets.

Guys always always always before you fly, get a clean power on sequence. And once the receiver is on, the only time you should turn off the Transmitter is to test the failsafe. AFter testing the failsafe, turn off EVERYTHING, and start over with TX first. That shouldn't be done unless you change your setup and rebind.

Bottom line, let the transmitter lock in to two frequencies first....always.... then turn on the receiver. The instructions say either sequence is fine, but dont do it. You want to maximize your chances for a successful flight. If there is a significant delay linking, turn everything off, move the transmitter away a few feet and do it again.

the other day my transmitter was sitting on the table about 5 inches from one of the remote antennas, I was working on the plane, but it had been on for about 2 minutes. I happened to look at the logger and that antenna had 400 fades, but the others were all zero. thats classic swamping. I decided to test my theory and move the transmitter to the nose where the other one is, and did the same....451 fades on that antenna. Imoved the tranmitter about 2 feet away, and let it sit for a couple minutes, and this time zeros across the board. I never turned off the transmitter during this test, so it was on the same frequencies. It was slow to link on the second test.

So when I go to fly, I set the transmitter behind me to the side about 2 feet away, and begin the start sequence, and lately check the logger before I fly for holds/fades just to see. For me in my jet its been about 2 feet or less triggers swamping on the AR9100.

FWIW..
g
Old 05-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Synthetic
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Goose,
I know I should wait a few seconds and I know the lights should be steadily lit and if they're not I should turn the receiver and the transmitter off and do it over again but.....

The reason I am asking is because late last year I had flown my jet four or five times and had no problems with it at all..and then on the next flight I had a "HOLD" and the jet went nose down and it was quite a ways a way from me. I thought the jet was a goner. I regained controlled a few seconds later (at not much altitude).The turbine shut down of course and I was lucky to be able to fly it all the way back and make it to the runway with no damage.

A couple weeks later when I went to fly it again I rushed the turning on of the receiver and the lights flashed instead of glowing solid. So, I thought to myself, "Hmmm I wonder if I could have done the same thing the one time it went into a "HOLD"and it about went in?"

Every since then I have been very careful with all my Spectrum receivers to make sure the lights are glowing solid and I have had no bad reading on the Flight Data Log ever since. In my mind I figured the cause of the hold was my turning the receivers on too quickly and did not get a good "hook up" between the transmitter and receivers.

However, according to David's post it doesn't matter if they are flashing or not flashing the signal should be the same and the flashing is only an indication of power loss to the receiver and I should be able to fly with them flashing.

That's all I am trying to figure out. I just don't want it to happen again.

Thanks,
Don
Old 05-29-2008, 05:23 PM
David Gladwin

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

However, according to David's post it doesn't matter if they are flashing or not flashing the signal should be the same and the flashing is only an indication of power loss to the receiver and I should be able to fly with them flashing.

In case I have been misunderstood, I would emphasise that the lights should be SOLID before flying and that after the flight flashing leds means that there has been a power loss DURING the flight but operation of the system should have continued normally after power restoration, apart from when there was no power !. (This is a charactersistic of the new AR9100s and normal ops can be checked on the logger) I would not start a flight unless the lights have gone solid (at least those I can see!)

I have experienced on or two cases when my system has not connected and flashing lights have occurred , and no control response, I simply switch off both Tx abd Rx and start over, operation was then normal. This was with 9000 rx units.

I have just installed another Spektrum 2.4, a 9100 rx, into my second BobCat and I made repeated attempts to switch on the Tx and rx with only a moment between them, in every case connection occurred with solid lights, although the time to connect varied.

The real proof is that after correct connection on every flight I have enjoyed flawless performance by this radio, still not a single frame lost let alone any holds.

Regards, David Gladwin (with thanks to David Ribbe, Horizon)

Please dont take this advice as absolute gospel, but it IS based on my experience of operating three models with Spektrum and the flashing light comments are based on that experience and with info. from DR. I pass it on for what its worth !
Old 05-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Synthetic

No problem David. I appreciate your help.

So, it sounds like perhaps my "hold" may have been due to my not having seen solid lights instead of flashing lights. I don't really have another explanation for why it would have occurred other than that.

At the time I did not realize the "LED's" needed to be solid so I did not pay that much attention to them but I have ever since! eehheh..
Thanks,
Don
Old 05-29-2008, 08:39 PM
gooseF22

This a great discussion. thanks to all. Im just glad you didn't lose the plane.

Did you send in that receiver for the quick connect update? I have to do that on a few of mine too. I think at last count, we have flown over 30 planes on spektrum, and hundreds of flights. we had a 6100 fail twice, but in reality the second failure eventually was the voltage reg in the ESC, but it damaged the receiver and ruined it. I have an original 7000 test unit that has crashed 3 times (my thumbs), and its beat up and glued back together, but it passed each time upon repair.

We had a few glitches when we tried to use 2.4 ghz video systems, and it jittered alot, but we didn't lose any frames, just experienced swamping, It was later fixed with a 1.5Ghz video link,

the only thing is I have to remember to continue to do good range checks and be diligent. The system has been so reliable it makes you lazy.

Im in the process of marking all my receivers that dont have the update so i can send them in this winter. The other thing we did is make a load checker that can put about 2.5 amps load to test our switches and wiring. I plug it into the receiver and turn the batts on one at a time to check continuity and to monitor the voltage to see if it is stable. I caught a bad plug this way.

The worst feeling in the world is to watch your model doing a perfect decent into the ground while you are holding full up and it is going straight.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Synthetic

Yea, that sucks!
Old 06-19-2008, 08:28 AM
AnthonyW

Well its about time, they finally came out with the warning about the Amplified Y-Harnesses.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/A...ArticleID=1797
Old 06-20-2008, 07:19 AM
AnthonyW

Old 06-20-2008, 10:36 AM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

In case I have been misunderstood, I would emphasise that the lights should be SOLID before flying and that after the flight flashing leds means that there has been a power loss DURING the flight but operation of the system should have continued normally after power restoration, apart from when there was no power !. (This is a charactersistic of the new AR9100s and normal ops can be checked on the logger) I would not start a flight unless the lights have gone solid (at least those I can see!)

I have experienced on or two cases when my system has not connected and flashing lights have occurred , and no control response, I simply switch off both Tx abd Rx and start over, operation was then normal. This was with 9000 rx units.

I have just installed another Spektrum 2.4, a 9100 rx, into my second BobCat and I made repeated attempts to switch on the Tx and rx with only a moment between them, in every case connection occurred with solid lights, although the time to connect varied.

The real proof is that after correct connection on every flight I have enjoyed flawless performance by this radio, still not a single frame lost let alone any holds.

Regards, David Gladwin (with thanks to David Ribbe, Horizon)

Please dont take this advice as absolute gospel, but it IS based on my experience of operating three models with Spektrum and the flashing light comments are based on that experience and with info. from DR. I pass it on for what its worth !
Additionally, the above comments are right on the money. when you "reset" the receiver in the normal course of your pre takeoff routine, refueling....etc... get into the habit of shutting off the transmitter and receiver before your final power on to fly. In other words, dont be recycling the receiver without recycling the transmitter. What happens is the receiver goes into fast connect and stays there. If you cycle the transmitter, it will do the full acquisition, and so will the receiver.

One of the JR guys demonstrated that to me.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

I now have 15 flights over 3 flying days on my 12X/1221 combo on my BC ARF/Wren SS....zero problems...trying to keep it simple, I just unplugged the old 955 on 50.6 Mhz and plugged in the 1221......double-sided taped the remote RX's in 3 different planes well away from other wires, then took about 20 minutes to transfer all the menu data points from the 10X to the 12X(very easy since most of the menus including menu numbers are the same).....RX battery is a Duralite 4000maH with one of Andy Low's 5.5v regulators, thru one of his HD switches...

8611a on elevator, 9411's on ailerons, 8411's on flaps, 2721 on NG, and 3301's on rudders......careful range check by depressing the module button as described in the manual.....JR specifies minimum 30 paces.....I went out 75 paces in all quadrants and still O.K.......binding with or without failsafe is straightforward as described in the manual........then GO FLY!

I have no data logger yet, so until they come back in stock, I rely on full circumference range checks......

I have 2 matchboxes which work fine.....no amplified Y's.....

No more worry about overheating the module by not pulling out the 50 mHz antenna or tripping over it in the pits or startup area.....

The new aluminum carrying case is clumsy[sm=thumbs_down.gif], but the 12X does fit nicely into the old 10X case......

I used to get bad EGT reading on my Wren SS if I got the tranny antenna anyhere near the ECU or sensor leads on 50 mHz, most likely swamping which often would shut the turbine down or cause a failed start, but now I can touch touch the ECU, RPM, or EGT wires with the 2.4 antenna and no effect......

Tranny is a little unbalanced with the neckstrap.....I think JR makes a neck strap adaptor to alleviate that problem....I use a BVM tray and no problem.

Overall impression>[sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Old 06-21-2008, 03:56 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom

Spektrum makes the adaptor to balance the radio. If you take two TX's when you go to events, JR makes a double tx case that will hold two DSM transmitters. The radios stand up in the case with antennas on. JRPA700.

Been flying the 12X a couple of weeks now and really like. Just got around to installing the 12X rx's today. No more matchboxes or "Y" harnesses in the boomer.

Hope to see you at a event soon. I need a fix![sm=tongue_smile.gif]

How about making the Southwest in Waco in September?
Old 06-21-2008, 04:05 PM
Synthetic

Bob,
How come you can't use "Matchboxes" anymore?
Thanks,
Don
Old 06-21-2008, 04:13 PM
bcovish

Don

Nothing against matchboxes. With the 12 channel rx's I was able to remove them along with the Y's. If the need should arise that matchboxes are needed, I will use them. Used all 12 channels on the Boomerang.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Synthetic

Ok Bob. I thought you meant you couldn't use Matchboxes with the new 12x but I understand now. Thanks..
Don
Old 06-21-2008, 04:41 PM
bcovish

Sorry for the confusion. Sometimes I even confuse myself[] I am about dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to programing but with a little outside help I was able to get'er done. Thanks David and Steven. Now to read some of the manual and some things will make a little more sense.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Synthetic

No problem Bob. Good flying!
Don
Old 06-21-2008, 07:50 PM
rosek007

Goose,
I know I should wait a few seconds and I know the lights should be steadily lit and if they're not I should turn the receiver and the transmitter off and do it over again but.....

The reason I am asking is because late last year I had flown my jet four or five times and had no problems with it at all..and then on the next flight I had a "HOLD" and the jet went nose down and it was quite a ways a way from me. I thought the jet was a goner. I regained controlled a few seconds later (at not much altitude).The turbine shut down of course and I was lucky to be able to fly it all the way back and make it to the runway with no damage.

A couple weeks later when I went to fly it again I rushed the turning on of the receiver and the lights flashed instead of glowing solid. So, I thought to myself, "Hmmm I wonder if I could have done the same thing the one time it went into a "HOLD"and it about went in?"

Every since then I have been very careful with all my Spectrum receivers to make sure the lights are glowing solid and I have had no bad reading on the Flight Data Log ever since. In my mind I figured the cause of the hold was my turning the receivers on too quickly and did not get a good "hook up" between the transmitter and receivers.

Thanks,
Don
Don That sounds really familiar, sounds like what happened to my L39 and guess what?, today with my Extra 260 my plane locked up...nothing!!!! went in but thank goodness only a broken prop not so lucky with my Maiden flight on my L39, . I don't have a data logger so i couldn't tell you how many hits, however, the day started with me waiting 4 hrs to get 2 x24" extentions for my elevator BECAUSE IN THAT PLANE I HAD AN AMPLIFIED Y EXTENTION and it was glitching like crAazy, after getting my extentions and popping them in the plane off i went flying[:@][:@][:@],guess what i didn't re-bind it. Plane locked up after about 3mins[:@] no damage thankfully but i think i've about had it JR. Having to be carefull not to turn on the rx to soon after the trans, re-binding after every change, checking to make sure the flippin lights are on and all the other CRAP you have to do to go fly...WHAT THE HELL!!!!!, futaba doesn't have these issues now does it.
I have flown jr since my first trainer and frankly it's all i know,I never really felt comfortable with a futaba tx in my hand, guess i'm gonna have to get used to it cause thats what i'm going to. maybe when jr pulls their head out i'll come back (really doubtful though) but three planes including a new jet is rediculous.
Kevin
BTW if anyone wants a 9303 2.4 and a dx7 with 2 921rx and a few 7 channel rx really really reaaaaaaaallly cheap i have a set.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:04 PM
afterburner

ORIGINAL: rosek007

Goose,

Thanks,
Don
Don That sounds really familiar, sounds like what happened to my L39 and guess what?, today with my Extra 260 my plane locked up...nothing!!!! went in but thank goodness only a broken prop not so lucky with my Maiden flight on my L39, . I don't have a data logger so i couldn't tell you how many hits, however, the day started with me waiting 4 hrs to get 2 x24" extentions for my elevator BECAUSE IN THAT PLANE I HAD AN AMPLIFIED Y EXTENTION and it was glitching like crAazy, after getting my extentions and popping them in the plane off i went flying[:@][:@][:@],guess what i didn't re-bind it. Plane locked up after about 3mins[:@] no damage thankfully but i think i've about had it JR. Having to be carefull not to turn on the rx to soon after the trans, re-binding after every change, checking to make sure the flippin lights are on and all the other CRAP you have to do to go fly...WHAT THE HELL!!!!!, futaba doesn't have these issues now does it.
I have flown jr since my first trainer and frankly it's all i know,I never really felt comfortable with a futaba tx in my hand, guess i'm gonna have to get used to it cause thats what i'm going to. maybe when jr pulls their head out i'll come back (really doubtful though) but three planes including a new jet is rediculous.
Kevin
BTW if anyone wants a 9303 2.4 and a dx7 with 2 921rx and a few 7 channel rx really really reaaaaaaaallly cheap i have a set.
Not being a JR/spektrum user I'm trying to understand what you are saying. If you turn on the RX first and then the TX, you may not have a solid link between the two? And why would you need to re-bind after changing out some extensions?

Marty