Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

clear + aeroloft dry transfer questions..

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

clear + aeroloft dry transfer questions..

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:24 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default clear + aeroloft dry transfer questions..

I've searched w/ no luck, so decided to ask. I just installed some aeroloft Dry Transfers to my big F-18. Its now ready to be clear coated but in the info sheet w/ the dry transfers it says "Do not user lacquer or alcohol based products" to clear coat over them.

I'm planning to us PPG Flexed-N-Flat clear on the jet. w/ DCX61 hardener and DT-870 reducer in a 4:1:10 ratio. Will this be ok to use and not ruin my graphics?

Thanks,
thomas
Old 06-01-2008, 12:48 PM
flyexperimental

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: clear + aeroloft dry transfer questions..

You should be fine. ppg 2060 flexed and flat is not lacquer or alchohal based.The ratio you have seems to be different,I thought it was 6-1-1.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:58 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used that clear, mixed per BVM instructions in the Tam/BV Hornet Manual (can't recall at the moment)
and misted it on with no problem for a few very light coats.

Dave
Old 06-01-2008, 01:09 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: flyexperimental

You should be fine. ppg 2060 flexed and flat is not lacquer or alchohal based.The ratio you have seems to be different,I thought it was 6-1-1.

i'm up for suggestions on ratio's.. what info i found on the DC2060 i thought most were using a 4:1:10 ratio... to get a thinner clear coat to save weight (which i could use on a plane this big, as 2 turbines + everything else adds up).
Old 06-01-2008, 03:06 PM
flyexperimental

I would at least keep the clear/hardened ratio as per ppg directions.If ppg says 6-1. I would do that.Too much hardener if you do the 4-1 will give you more shine and it may not dry very well.Too much hardener leaves excess hardener that will have no clear to cross link with and it will stay sticky.Putting 10 parts reducer verses 1 seems like it is getting way to thin.I would think 6-1-1.5 would be more than enough reducer.When mixed 6-1-1 flexed and flat is not very thick to start with.If you choose to change the reduction over the directions I would test it on some type of test panel first.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:10 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: flyexperimental

I would at least keep the clear/hardened ratio as per ppg directions.If ppg says 6-1. I would do that.Too much hardener if you do the 4-1 will give you more shine and it may not dry very well.Too much hardener leaves excess hardener that will have no clear to cross link with and it will stay sticky.Putting 10 parts reducer verses 1 seems like it is getting way to thin.I would think 6-1-2 would be more than enough reducer.If you choose to change the reduction over the directions I would test it on some type of test panel first.

understandable.. and makes sense to me.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:21 PM
invertmast

oops. went back over the thread i was looking at and one guy was recommending a 150-200% reduction rate.. which i believe comes out to a 6:1:10 ratio?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_56...tm.htm#5618772
Old 06-01-2008, 08:49 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thomas, I cleared my F-16 recently using the Omni brand clear and the flattening agent. This one is more like 1:1 ratio if you want it "scale" flat. My sixteen ahs Aeroloft transfers. Worked great.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:44 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Has anyone used a spray paint to clear over dry transfers? Does an enamal spray paint fall under the category of "laquor or alcohol" based? Was thinking of using the Valspar spray can for simplicity but if needed I could mix some PPG and have a buddy spray it.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:21 AM
Greg Wright
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Does an enamal spray paint fall under the category of "laquor or alcohol" based?

No It's what it says it is Enamal based.

They don't make Laquor based paints any more.

PPG is either Enamal based or Acrylic based paint depending on if it's base coat /clear coat or single stage

I have never heard of an Alcohol based paint before.

So you should be fine with using the valspar if that's your choice. Just do it in light coats and it should work.

Last edited by Greg Wright; 07-25-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:31 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

Thanks Greg! That's kind of what I was thinking, but just wanted to be sure.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:14 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mugenkidd
Has anyone used a spray paint to clear over dry transfers? Does an enamal spray paint fall under the category of "laquor or alcohol" based? Was thinking of using the Valspar spray can for simplicity but if needed I could mix some PPG and have a buddy spray it.
Yes, I used the LusterKote flat clear over aeroloft before.....however it wasnt flat enough for my taste, but it worked.