Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Air Expo 2008

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Air Expo 2008

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Expo 2008

Hi Everybody,

Well, I had hoped to fly this weekend and try out the pea two hundred in the old faithful, but after causing a self inflicted injury to my right thumb on Saturday morning while packing up (the sliding door on Da Van accidentally closed on my right thumb.....yea...ouch)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25881.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	961858   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30242.jpg
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	961859  
Old 06-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

Default RE: Air Expo 2008

......then getting rained out on yesterday and everything being cancelled at the airshow........

Name:	Us54778.jpg
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	961860   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11071.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	961861  
Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

I figured things just were'nt meant to be this time...........however, today was absolutely perfect so I took a few pics of some of the full scale action that many of you might like.............(I'm pecking with two fingers here on keyboard so narrative will be a bit brief.)

C-17 Rocked the House..........lots of people talking about the model Ali.....really

The C-17 landing to a short stop (If I had taken three picture frames, thats how short the landing was.)then reverse......yes backwards.....the whole length of the runway from where they stopped was unreal!

Name:	Ay75275.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	961863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46666.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	961864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72094.jpg
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	961865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24959.jpg
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	961866   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11956.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	961867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70472.jpg
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	961868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47447.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	961869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66315.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	961870  

Old 06-01-2008, 10:09 PM
RonTins

Oh man, that must have hurt a great deal. Where was this airshow held?
Old 06-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

There were two dedication flights one for the NAVY with the Corsair and Legacy Hornet...........

Name:	Ge94696.jpg
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	961888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40838.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	961889  
Old 06-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

........and the other The Heritage Flight with Dale Snodgrass in the P-51 flanked by the F-15E and F-16.

Name:	Nl30881.jpg
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	961890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97607.jpg
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	961891  
Old 06-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

[8D]

Name:	Rp44014.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	961896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62725.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	961897   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10515.jpg
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	961898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37418.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	961899  
Old 06-01-2008, 10:33 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get that paperclip red hot B.[:@][:@][:@]
Old 06-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

Name:	Nk28242.jpg
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	961901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67592.jpg
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	961902   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23081.jpg
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	961903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65755.jpg
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	961904  
Old 06-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

[8D]

Name:	Da83605.jpg
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	961908   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85665.jpg
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	961909   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51946.jpg
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	961910   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90366.jpg
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	961911  
Old 06-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

I only have one pic of Mr. Snodgrass taking off in the P-51............but after the Heritage flight was over (all three planes made the customary low pass........but did it TWICE for the crowd which was really cool.) then I started walking away and turned my camera off and Dale Snodgrass came back with the Mustang and "cut the grass" with the right wingtip! Seriously guys........it was that low, never seen anything like that with a full scale..........the man is unreal. If anyone has that pic here on RCU.......PLEASE post it wherever!

The P-51 takeoff.........

Name:	Sp45354.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	961916  
Old 06-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

Now I don't have many more pics, but as usual all performances were spectacular on a beautiful day out at McGuire AFB and the Thunderbirds were flawless as usual.

I did find a bit of use for two grounded birds on a bright sunny day.........in the hanger, but for a worthy cause.

Yes Paul.......I've been sitting here staring at the paperclip for the last few hours.......[] I guess things could always be worse........at least it's not broken.

For now though 115" of camoflage sits waiting for a "kick in the pants", while I head back to the lab with four fingers and a thumb...........

Fly Safe Everyone,

Bryce

Name:	Db86206.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	961924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34295.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	961925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80249.jpg
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	961926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85061.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	961927  
Old 06-02-2008, 06:21 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Bryce,

Good to see that you're still flying the small stuff.

Are you doing any of the Northeast Jet meets this year? New England Jet Rally III, Capitol Jets IV and Maine Jets??

Bob
Old 06-02-2008, 11:15 AM
DenizD

Bryce I thought you were dead...seriously, I was going to send you an email to tell you that we love you and miss you and to come back...but anyway I'm gonna be workin for Etihad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Nightwalker
Dale Snodgrass came back with the Mustang and "cut the grass" with the right wingtip! Seriously guys........it was that low, never seen anything like that with a full scale..........the man is unreal. If anyone has that pic here on RCU.......PLEASE post it
Yeah - he puts on a heck of a show. A pass similar to what you describe is on this video, around the 6:50 mark :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhA5rgKh9K0
Old 06-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

Bob,
I have a really full schedule at the moment, but would love to attend one of the northeast shows, I've even been watching the guys down there at Floyd Bennent Field whenever we're flying in and out of JFK and think I finally have it figured out where to turn off of the BQE to get there! LOL I'll get to the northeast events one of these days......

Gordon,
That's the pass, but I swear he did it even lower yesterday! Someone has to have that pic, all I remember is turning around and saying "Oh maaan" Dale Snodgrass has wizard skills with a plane. It's one thing to do some of the things we do with our models, but to display a plane the way some of the greats have over the years and do it consistently with little to no margin for error while you're sitting in it, is a whole different ball game.

Deniz,
Congratulations! I was wondering what happened to you guys, glad to hear the news........remember I told you it would happen quick, get over there, do your job to the best of your ability, stay safe and before you know it you'll have a couple young people sitting up in your cockpit asking you questions the way you guys did to me a few years ago. I will say one thing, ALWAYS, ALWAYS stay sharp because you'll have competition in just a short amount of time, I was only given permission to use Baby A's jet at shows. "No showing off for your friends, because it's still mine!" Is what I've been told. That's right, there is a determined little pilot who's quickly getting bigger and vows to become a "big airplane pilot" one way or the other, keep an eye out Deniz because one day in the not too distant future you may have a little girl on one of your flights asking you a million questions about the systems on your jet.............yup

Baby A

Thanks for the comments all....

Take care,

B

Name:	Cz80132.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	962237  
Old 06-02-2008, 06:50 PM
DenizD

I REEEEAAALLLYYYYYYY want to start on the triple seven but I think they start all the cadets out on the 320, but over there a "FULL" ATP cert is @ 1500tt and 21 years old.

But don't worry I'll let you know when Im flying the 345 into JFK, you know Etihad means 'United' in arabic, did I just blow your freaking mind or what !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW in case you haven't I started flying commercially before I knew how to shave.......yeah boyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 PM
RonTins

Hey guys, I envy you all. As a kid I had wanted to be a pilot, unfortunately I was denied that by my parents and now I'm pinching myself because of mis out.

Bryce:

I like your F-16 models. You were one of the guys that inspired me to get a Skymaster F-16. Any advice for an old terd like myself who wants to still pick up flying lessons will be greatly appreciated....
Old 06-03-2008, 02:16 PM
General Jake

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bryce,
check your PM.
Chris
Old 06-03-2008, 11:59 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

ORIGINAL: DenizD
But don't worry I'll let you know when Im flying the 345 into JFK, you know Etihad means 'United' in arabic, did I just blow your freaking mind or what !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't ever lose your sense of humor Deniz. It's people like you, with that jovial attitude that make the long haul flights and layovers memorable for the rest of us. You're on the rollercoaster now, so fasten your seatbelt and get ready for one heck of a ride, but never forget how bad you wanted your airline job when you were wishing one day to be there, and always ask yourself every now and then...."If I was'nt doing this, what would I be doing?" Just to keep things in perspective. Congrats once again, looking forward to seeing you somewhere in uniform, good luck in your career.
ORIGINAL: fiifiward
Hey guys, I envy you all. As a kid I had wanted to be a pilot, unfortunately I was denied that by my parents and now I'm pinching myself because of mis out.

Bryce:

I like your F-16 models. You were one of the guys that inspired me to get a Skymaster F-16. Any advice for an old terd like myself who wants to still pick up flying lessons will be greatly appreciated....

fiifiward,

Thanks for the comments, glad I was one of the guys that inspired you, maybe one of these days I'll actually finish the other one for myself...[8D] Enjoy yours, the F-16 is a great model in just about any size and is stable and fun to fly.

As far as wanting to fly.....well, I could go on for pages and pages with some inspirational story about life and decisions that I've made to get me where I am today, but I'll try to shorten down what has been an uphill battle for a long time into a more manageable paragraph or two, that maybe will help you and others who have the same very common thoughts about learning to fly. One of the issues that I seem to have had from a very early age was.......nobody ever believes what I'm saying, starting with me always telling my parents that I wanted to fly when I was little[] then, as I became older it was like "yea that's nice, but now be realistic...your chances of doing that are really really slim." Especially being that I was not that good in math (something my father reminded me of when the "pilot" discussion came up every now and then.) When I was 14 I remember almost being in tears when I found out you had to be 16 to solo in a plane, I remember thinking, "its not fair because I think I could do it now!" So I started working at airport washing and cleaning helicopters for free when I was 15, I begged the owner of the FBO to work there at first he said "no thanks, we just don't have enough work around here." I just kept going back and back.......for months, until finally he said yes that maybe they could use some help with cleaning on the weekends, I was soooooo happy, my first job, yea I was'nt getting paid but, who cares I'm working at the airport! Well, after a short time they began giving me helicopter lessons, one of the pilots started a file on me, they got a syllabus gave me a logbook and started giving me lessons. A half hour here a half hour there on weekends, well all the while there was this battle going on between me and my father at home, he did'nt want me working there "You're too young and its too dangerous, not to mention you're not even getting paid." is what he used to say, I fought and fought with him for two or three months about how important it was that I stay there because I'm flying for free. Well, one day I went to work and the owner let me know that it would be my last day, "I had a talk with your father today (as I stood there practically shivering) and well, it's best if you just come back when you're a little older." I was devastated...my helicopter job (and lessons) gone. I was 16. So I studied really hard the rest of that year and tried to become better in math because I had another PLAN......it took about a year but my last year in high school more great news came, I passed.......Yeehaa accepted at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University! Man was I excited........I'm goin to fly in Florida Baby! Is all I remember thinking, for the rest of my senior year and the beginning of the summer I was on cloud nine........August 24, 1988 I was supposed to leave, well, two weeks before I was to leave, my parents sat me down and said "we can't afford to send you there." I was speechless because this was the first anyone had even mentioned anything like that to me. Once again......devastated. So not willing to give up on my flying dream........PLAN #3......I'm going into the military. (my father had put my brother and I into military school when we were little because he thought it would be good for us...........he took us out after a couple years after some cadets had wrapped me up in toilet paper when I fell asleep after drill one afternoon and set it on fire......and four other cadets threw my brother into a pool when he could'nt swim and locked the gate.....a football player at the time saw my brother go down for the third time and jumped the fence and saved him......bro and I thank you "D" wherever you are these days.) Anyhow the intent back then was to have us finish there and go into the Navy. So now I'm 17 and not going to my dream college to learn to fly, so I decide........I'll go into the ARMY and fly helicopters! "Yea.....that's the ticket.......Apache or Cobra here I come!" Well, I took the ASVAB test and the recruiters said I missed the Warrant Officer cutoff by one point.......soooooo........I took it again, "sorry son, you're THAT close, but you just missed it again." Is what they told me, I must have looked visibly sick because the recruiter quickly said......."BUT, I have an idea......we'll put you in infantry for six months then transfer you into Ft. Rutger! Its away of getting around the initial test." Well..........Grandpa was a recruiter after the war and told me "If you don't get a guarantee that you're going to flight school, you could end up anywhere and you'll never see those guys again, its probably best you go to college." So there I am, what seemed to be out of options and plans all at the same time. Working at McDonalds, Jiffy Lube and Toy's R Us and Great Adventure during the seasons. Then here comes dad again........"you're not going to just sit around this house and not go to college, you're going to nursing school." Huh?? was my response.........what's that got to do with flying? he says, "It's a three year program and you can get out and make 35grand a year and work at any hospital in the country and pay for your own flight lessons, and we'll get you a car......." I could go on and on with what would be the most unbelievable story you've ever heard but, 100 percent my life.
However, I won't, the reason being, my point in the paragraph above is only to paint a picture of what life can be like, and that's when you really KNOW what you want to do and have a drive. You mentioned me being an inspiration which is something I've heard before and never really considered myself to be........"its not what I signed up for", Is what I used to think when I first started hearing that word in reference to myself, until I started to look at what life is. The truth is, we all are inspirations to somebody somewhere in one way or another, its just a matter of whether or not we realize it and are able to give back a little of what we have learned or have seen to those who have'nt had the same experiences or training but, are willing to listen. (thus the reason for the picture painting)

To give you the best advice I can give fiiliward, instead of looking at yourself as an "old terd", consider yourself a seasoned veteren of life looking to expand your accomplishments and fullfill a dream which you've had for a long time. You're never to old to fly, I used to manage an FBO/Flight School/Charter operation down in West Palm Beach during the mid-ninetys and a lot of my students, men and women were "seasoned veterens of life" who finally fullfilled their dreams, no they were'nt looking to become the next 747 captain or some even get their rating, many just started out wanting maybe to ride in a small plane or be able to solo........but usually ended up getting their rating(s) and to be honest........about 60% of them usually ended up telling me at some point.........I thought I would be able to do this. So make a plan of what you are looking to accomplish and go for it, whether it just being able to take off and land, solo or obtaining your ticket. These days, I'm sure the price of fuel is a concern, but there's always a way to fly......you could look into soaring or even hot air balloning.........there's always a way. Good Luck

ORIGINAL: chzonio
Bryce,
check your PM.
Chris
Chris it was nice talking to you this evening, thanks again!
Well.......now that I have totally hijacked my own thread! and hopefully given a bit of inspiration to someone out there who may want to fly now or someday in the future. I'll leave the last few pics I have from Air Expo 2008
Best Wishes Everyone

Bryce

Name:	Ge95291.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	963350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19884.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	963351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83767.jpg
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	963352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56848.jpg
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	963353  
Old 06-04-2008, 12:00 PM
DenizD

"If I was'nt doing this, what would I be doing?"
High profile escort servicing for WOMEN ONLY, I'd like to point out once again "HIGH PROFILE FOR WOMEN..... ONLY" My reasoning was if I could make $2k a week I could take off the next month, do some flying, get the next rating, and go back to work the month after. Really though there are some rich old women that can't get a man as evidenced by the women of ABC's hit morning show ''The View" (hahahah), in all seriousness though not all of them are rich.

-End Funny

I can relate to over 100% of your story with gas prices the way they are, and no financial support from my family I almost didn't make it.

Begin Funny

nobody ever believes what I'm saying, starting with me always telling my parents that I wanted to fly when I was little then, as I became older it was like "yea that's nice, but now be realistic...
That what she said!... No seriously that's what my mom said, many times

Bryce tell me when you plan on visiting Floyd Bennet so we can meet up. I love flying over that field

Name:	Ki20032.jpg
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	963539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41324.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	963540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75364.jpg
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	963541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36178.jpg
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	963542   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al70540.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	963543  
Old 06-07-2008, 02:55 PM
RonTins

Hi Bryce:

Thank you very much for your lessons and advice offer in your previous reply. when I was younger, probably around 8 years old I recall my Dad saying to me "forget it son" you will never be allowed to fly and that it was reserved for the best and brightest in Advanced Math. So with that I dropped the subject entirely until I turned 19 and ready to go to college. I thought that being older I could have my way now. Unfortunately because my parents were responsible for my tuition, i quickly realized that I still would not have it my way until I completed my first degree and saved up money for flight school. Well, now I am 34 and I see my dream of becoming a commercial pilot fading into the distant horizon. I am still very passionate about anything that is made of metal, has wings and can fly, helicopters give me the creeps unfortunately, and I cannot explain why. Being a pilot yourself, would you say that I'm probably better off forgetting about working towards a commercial pilots license?

Old 06-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Bryce Watson
Banned

ORIGINAL: DenizD
Bryce tell me when you plan on visiting Floyd Bennet so we can meet up. I love flying over that field
No problem Deniz, I'll be in touch as soon as I get a spare day, vinnyjet has had an open invite for me to visit for the past few years now, so I'll try to get to it, hopefully before you have a layover in JFK! Stay safe man.......
ORIGINAL: fiifiward

Hi Bryce:
Thank you very much for your lessons and advice offer in your previous reply.

No problem, you're welcome fiifiward. I can remember a time when a certain boss was mad at me because I would'nt charge my students for ground time while giving one of my "life experience" speeches......just life and living is the way I see it. Take from it what you can and make your life what you want it to be.
when I was younger, probably around 8 years old I recall my Dad saying to me "forget it son" you will never be allowed to fly and that it was reserved for the best and brightest in Advanced Math. So with that I dropped the subject entirely until I turned 19 and ready to go to college.
I can almost hear your father now, I heard much of the same myself. Funny thing is, I never even wanted to go to college......."It's all about hours dad, you just don't understand, a degree is not going to help me....flying experience will." Is what I would say back to him all the time when I was in my teens. Man I remember those days, argument after argument over me not wanting to go to college and just wanting to fly. (I have to admit though, I would'nt have the job I have now though without a degree, so In that aspect, my parents were right and getting an education was important, but I still maintain I would have been flying something even without it....I was your typical defiant teenager.) In the end, like it or not, I've come to accept that parents are looking out for what they think will be the safest and best all around route for their kids, it's just that right there toward the end of your teenage years life can get real stressful if you really know what you want and its not in line with what your parents want for you.
I thought that being older I could have my way now. Unfortunately because my parents were responsible for my tuition, i quickly realized that I still would not have it my way until I completed my first degree and saved up money for flight school.
....."as long as you live under this roof you'll do as we say, you want to leave then there's the door." Is what I heard........so I ran away! Did'nt last long though before I came to the same realization that you did. Ultimately the best way out of "parent camp" was to stay silent, listen to what they had to say and get older.....QUICKLY......It can be pretty cold on the street, and everything that you think is out there........IS, as we all find out in self sufficient adulthood......one of the scariest days of my life was right before college graduation, when I realized nobody was going to teach me anything anymore.
Well, now I am 34 and I see my dream of becoming a commercial pilot fading into the distant horizon. I am still very passionate about anything that is made of metal, has wings and can fly, helicopters give me the creeps unfortunately, and I cannot explain why. Being a pilot yourself, would you say that I'm probably better off forgetting about working towards a commercial pilots license?
There's only one word in the whole paragraph of yours that really means the most in my opinion....."passionate." Passion for anything is one of the most powerful forces a person can posses at any age and ultimately can guide you to goals which at first glance may seem unobtainable. One of the thing my mother did when I was about 12 or 13 was get me a diary and told me to write down all the things that I want to do in the future so I don't forget them as I get older, so when I was 13 I wrote down that I wanted to become a pilot and how I was going to get there. (then of course she rewrote it, to show me how it should be written...lol...I was never much for anything else other than drawing planes and helicopters or making them from whatever. Anyhow, my point here is.........one of the things that was always stressed to me was you have to have a "PLAN" of whatever direction you are going to go with something. My father used to always tell me, "don't ever let anyone know what your plan is because sometimes people will try to stop you from doing it." (proved true after a few months when he found out about me working for free at the airport.......he ended it. I believed him then!) Now this of course is'nt the case here with you, but......writing down what exactly you would like to accomplish might not be such a bad idea. For instance, what kind of commercial pilot do you want to be.....airline, corporate, charter....fly somebody around in small plane for hire, aerial photography? What? For me, it really did'nt matter what I flew.......fighter, bomber, helicopter, airliner, Firefox, Airwolf.....did'nt matter, I just wanted to fly something, somewhere as soon as possible. The only reason I even went into helicopters is because my dad would'nt give me one of his remote control airplanes......(even after I dug up the back yard and made a airport when I was like 12, yea imagine what that looked like, a three foot wide runway the whole width of the back yard from fence to fence complete with markings and control tower made out of boxes that I was going to stand in and fly this one plane that my dad had from! ) I still feel the bruises from when my dad saw that one! Anyhow, because I could'nt get one of his planes, nor did I have a way for someone to take me to the flying field, I figured I would sell my bike and get a remote control helicopter, that way I would'nt need a runway nor the need to go anywhere. So after a billion crashes I taught myself how to fly it, then I figured I would get the job at the helicopter place (versus the other airplane FBO's on the field) because helicopters were somewhat familar to me.......AND I was afraid of heights. (yea we spent a good couple hours hovering around the airport at 5 feet with the doors off because I was afraid of going high up, till one day my instructor got tired of that and pulled up on the collective and up we went like a missile, I closed my eyes and held my breath, when I finally opened ONE eye, I swear I saw the curvature of the earth....LOL actually we were only probably about 500feet.) So that's where the helicopter pilot ambition came from because before that I was really a bit aimless........I just wanted to be a "pilot" no specific type. Now when my dad forced me into the nursing school scenario, I still maintained helicopter, but figured, I would be an aeromedical helicopter pilot. As you can see from the "picture" here.........I always had a PLAN and kept changing it as different challenges presented themselves, but to this day, you seem to have described what pretty much exists in all of us that fly..........a passion for flight and flying things. Therefore, you are not far off the mark from pursuing any level of flying career you wish, especially being that you have a humble and realistic attitude toward your past and future. When I was hired with the majors, the oldest guy in our class was 50 years old, a nice humble guy from Texas who had always wanted to be an airline pilot...........he made it. So just take a few minutes to write down what exactly it is that you would like to accomplish, look at it and follow your passion.......because that's one thing that will probably always stick with you, what you decide to do with it is up to you.
helicopters give me the creeps unfortunately, and I cannot explain why.
[8D] Oh come on now, they're not so bad.......besides there's no better way to arrive or leave a parking lot then in one of these birds.
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imvqBq2MBfg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imvqBq2MBfg [/link]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIirRHhovH0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIirRHhovH0[/link]

Now of course, watching this could have you waking up in a cold sweat, depending on what side of the windscreen you're on...
[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Bj4DLWd4I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Bj4DLWd4I [/link]

Take Care,
Bryce

Name:	Sq48187.jpg
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	965999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43798.jpg
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	966000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70413.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	966001  
Old 06-07-2008, 11:10 PM
bevar
My Feedback: (27)

Fiifi,

Let's be honest...there is no big future left in commercial aviation. Sure you can get a job in it and fly some big stuff but honestly the money for for the most part gone. Yes, you can maybe scratch out a meger living and have some fun along the way but the hey days of aviation are long gone. With the influx of the LLCs and lifers at the commuters there is not too much of a real future left. If no retirement, furloughs, low pay and awful schedules are how you want to spend the rest of your working days the airlines are for you.

First and foremost, I would recommend you studying a business discipline where you can get a job that will afford you buying your own airplane that you can fly when ever you want. If you still want to pursue the golden carrot...try for a good corporate job or a decent fractional employer.

That's honestly pretty much the way it is. Good luck in what ever you choose.

Beave