Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Kero start unit problems??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Kero start unit problems??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:53 PM
Kmarks
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kero start unit problems??

Hello All,

A few weeks ago my older style Jet Cat Kero start unit on my Titan burnt out, I called Willcox and in a few days got one of the new style Jet Cat kero start units. At the same time that I was reinstalling the new unit, A buddy of mine told me of some free Jet A at the local airport. After all was said and done I had a few succesful flights with this fuel and than the problems started. The kero unit just seemed to stop igniting the fuel. I am using a Li Maganese pack, charged it before flights and no ignition. After todays problems I went and bought a new Five of Kero emptied and purged the fuel system in the Jet and still no ignition????

Does anyone know the correct volt setting for the new Jet Cat Kero start unit, and how do you see and change values??

I am going to recharge the battery and try again tomarrow.

Thanks for any advice.

Kevin Marks
Old 06-14-2008, 08:20 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Kero start unit problems??

I don't think you can change the voltage settings for the burner like you can a normal plug, but you may.
I do know that it takes more current for ignition than the older version so your batteries need to be topped off.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:35 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: causeitflies

I don't think you can change the voltage settings for the burner like you can a normal plug, but you may.
I do know that it takes more current for ignition than the older version so your batteries need to be topped off.

get back in contact with JC usa , have them check your setup
the new burners use less current then the old V2.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:06 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: digitech

ORIGINAL: causeitflies

get back in contact with JC usa , have them check your setup
the new burners use less current then the old V2.
If you are right then it is time to replace my ECU battery.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Kmarks

Ok this morning I tried to fire it up again, NO IGNITION.

The Battery shows 8.15 volts.

I can see some little bubbles start to move into the plug, and I can hear a rolling noise from electronics in the turbine. The plug seems to be getting hot but not igniting fuel. I looked at the volt for the Kero plug and it is set at 5.75 volts, I then looked at my P120 Kero start volts and that said 6.5 volts. I tried to bump up the volts on the Titan but did not find a way to do that??

I just had this engine at Jet Cat, due to when I took off the Kero start version 1, the internal threads broke away!! Has anyone have a solution??

Thanks

Kevin Marks
Old 06-15-2008, 10:57 AM
F4dar
My Feedback: (55)

ORIGINAL: Kmarks

I can see some little bubbles start to move into the plug, and I can hear a rolling noise from electronics in the turbine. The plug seems to be getting hot but not igniting fuel. I looked at the volt for the Kero plug and it is set at 5.75 volts, I then looked at my P120 Kero start volts and that said 6.5 volts. I tried to bump up the volts on the Titan but did not find a way to do that??

I just had this engine at Jet Cat, due to when I took off the Kero start version 1, the internal threads broke away!! Has anyone have a solution??

Thanks

Kevin Marks
Kmarks,
You can do the following depending on what version ECU firmware you have.
if you are 6.0 G or below (u should get it updated) current version 6.0 H

- Turn ECU ON while Holding IG/MIN MAX button on GSU.
It should automatically see kero start and should be set ON 6V N, it should show that on regular startup

If you are 6.0 H firmware:
- TURN ON ECU WHILE PRESSING START/MIN MAX buttons
will prompt you to same menu above.

also, in the LIMITS menue check to make sure you have correct battery type.

Once you do this and the kero plug still doesnt cause ignition, plug is bad,, i have had 3 bad ones so far... I think they are very sensitive to handling. when you are installing the plug be very careful the ceramic tip doesnt hit metal parts. and once you install it dont take it out anymore.

Hope this helps
Jason
Old 06-15-2008, 03:55 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks

Kevin Marks

i have this idea that your pump is not runnin on acc. 1
this setting is for pumping your kerostart.
try to dissconnect the fuelline going to the keroburner.
catch it with a container , and see if there is actualy something coming out.
my feeling is you have a sticky pump.

ps do not alter the voltage to the stick. more then 6 volts will cause it to start burning away.
call jc usa if there is no fuel coming on starting.
it is a simple ****ion to it.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Kmarks

Hey Jason, based on your post I have an earlier ECU but I did notice by going into that sequence the pump went from 5.75 to 6 volts. Still no luck on ignition. I uncoupled the line to see if juice was running and it was. Now my next thought was maybe there is debre from the used Jet A clogged into the Kero actuater. I will try to clean that out and try again.

anybody know the flow rate of fuel into the Kero unit??

Thanks

Kevin
Old 06-15-2008, 10:00 PM
F4dar
My Feedback: (55)

Hey Jason, based on your post I have an earlier ECU but I did notice by going into that sequence the pump went from 5.75 to 6 volts. Still no luck on ignition. I uncoupled the line to see if juice was running and it was. Now my next thought was maybe there is debre from the used Jet A clogged into the Kero actuater. I will try to clean that out and try again.

anybody know the flow rate of fuel into the Kero unit??

Thanks

Kevin
Kevin,
I am not sure if you know the test for kero Plug. GO to test functions and Igniter test. If you press the +/- button, the kero solenoid will start. YOu can listen to the solenoid valve, its basically cycled off/on to give you accurate flow rate for start sequence. That PWM setting on the solenoid valve is not adjustable. you can adjust the pump start voltage to increas the flow a bit . But my experience is been that if you even get a little bit of flow, you will get ignition, it may make some pup sounds if its slightly lean. but it will ignite. I would bet on your igniter being bad. and there is really no way to check them. mine would get hot but not hot enough. it has to get red hot to ignite kero.

good luck.
jason