Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster Tires and trailing link strut questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster Tires and trailing link strut questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 08:21 PM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skymaster Tires and trailing link strut questions

I have Skymaster inflatable tires and Skymaster trailing link gear on my Hawk. A couple of questions...1) How do you fill the tires with air? 2) Any good ideas on making the strut a little more stiff so the weight of the plane w/o any pressure causes it to flex? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Skymaster Tires and trailing link strut questions

Use a manual pump with an air guage and pump them up slowly to the recommended pressure. ( I don't recall what it is though. DO NOT USE AN ELECTRIC PUMP , unless you want to take the rims apart to let the excess air out, that's a pita................

(typo)
Old 06-19-2008, 08:31 PM
3DHELINUT
My Feedback: (3)

You can fill the tires with one of these. if you overinflate the tires you will need to disassemble the wheels to release the pressure.

the following are the reccomended maximun you should inflate the tires. 57min tire-63max mm, 76min tire-84max mm, and 95min tire-108max mm

To stiffen the struts you can streach the springs and replace the oil with some 3000 or 5000wt r/c car dif lube.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92589.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	974297  
Old 06-20-2008, 10:15 AM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

Alan and Terry - thanks for the posts...a couple of questions. Is there a special fitting that is needed to get air into the tire? Before I posted I did try to fill with an electric pump and never could get any air in the tire. Second, the oleos on the Hawk are not the oil filled type, just a spring I assume. Is there a trick to getting inside the oleo to adjust the spring?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:21 AM
RCI/Skymaster
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

Hello Jclittle.

Like 3DHELINUT said. A hand pump should do the trick for filling your tires. Using an electronic one may cause over filling. The tires should be just under half full. This will give you some dampening and keep your tires in good shape for awhile.

On the struts you don't want to make the springs to springy or it will cause the jet to bounce easier on landing. The jet should sit completely settled on the gear.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions please feel free to call

www.skymaster-usa.com
Old 06-21-2008, 07:54 AM
Noel Guy

Hi mate, ive been having the same problem. I know they are different jets and struts, but I pulled one of my skymaster F18f today to lengthen and strengthen, check out pic below.....they are quite simple.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:03 PM
BluFox
My Feedback: (10)

JC. . .

For inflating the tires or (Tyres) Honda MC makes a neet little hand pump about 6" long (looks like a big suringe) which has a guage on it. Used for fine tuning the front struts. It works great. Just a pies of 3mm clear line on the end. About two pumps and check.

Struts. . .Yup, a common problem. . You oughta see the SM L-39 bottom out wiehn just sitting on it's legs! Simple solution is to visit you local auto parts store and select a package of "black" neoprene gas line. There are many sizes, so make sure the size you select fits inside the strut. Simple take the strut apart, cut a piece of hose and slide it in. Length of hose determines tension or pressure on the spring. Neat, because you can adjust to get it just right. I only cut twice. . .
BTW, my L-39 was terribly unstable without this mod. Talk about "wing walk". . .Now it handles quite nice.

Hope this helps

Best regards,
Eric Clapp
Jet Central Micro Turbines
Skymaster USA Dealer