Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

"LESSON LEARNED"-The good way!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

"LESSON LEARNED"-The good way!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 05:47 PM
Frank Alvarez

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default "LESSON LEARNED"-The good way!!!

Hi guys!

I just had a very unusal, and perhaps avoidable, event occur to my F-15 Eagle.
I had secured the use of South Albany Airport for a pre-event work-up session on the jet.

As an aside, I recently participated in the Top-Gun event with my new J-35 Draken, I also brought my F-15 as a back-up jet in the event something sour occured to the Draken. As it turned out the Draken performed wonderfully, and as a result the F-15 sat in the trailer for the entire week in Florida.
Several years ago, I had a fuel spill from the overboard vent line on the F-15, and since then have always plugged the vent line to mitigate this from repeating. This habit turned on me while the aircraft sat in very hot temps while trailored in Fl. I believe the increase in fuel tank temps and the resulting increasing pressure, provided enough pressure to slowly work the rubber fuel tank pressure seal to come forward. Since I had the system plugged, there was no way for this pressure to vent, and it was either the tank that would rupture, or a fuel line was going to give. In my case it was the rubber compression seal at the tip of the tank that is concealed in the fuselage. Had this let loose in flight, it could have resulted in a spectacular fire-ball and total loss of the airframe, let alone any periphial damage to the impact zone due to uncontrolled onboard fire! Thankfully the leak was discovered just prior to loading the jet in the trailer this afternoon. The rubber seal was just a thread away from coming completly off the tank. This could have released nearly three quarts of Jet-a into the fuse had it let loose in flight.
So, be very careful with your fuel venting plugs if you use them.
I will, from here on out ONLY use the plug during the cary into and out of the trailer from the shop. However, once in the vehicle, all plugs will be removed to allow the fuel tank venting system from overpressurizing due to heat. Furthermore I will attach the taxi tank to capture any possible fuel venting during transportation.
Frank.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: "LESSON LEARNED"-The good way!!!

Frank, Good read, and happy to hear you found the problem before you flew. Joe C!!
Old 06-29-2008, 09:00 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

i use a "remove before flight" red tag on my vent plugs. barry
Old 06-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank, that story is one of the reasons I dont use those F&*%$ style fittings. Even if you dont plug the vent sooner or later the rubber will swell and you will have a leak. Get your self some BVM style screw in fittings even if you have to mod the tank, its worth doing. See you in Selkirk !

Don
Old 06-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Frank,
I use quick disconnects on my air vents. Several good reasons for this: 1. easy to connect & disconnect a taxi-tank. 2. While fueling connect a return line back to your supply tank you never have a ramp fuel spill. 3. Connect your empty taxi tank while transporting and you'll never have a heat / spill in your trailer / truck....problem solved forever!!
Lee
Old 06-30-2008, 06:29 AM
Vampire
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Frank,

Thanks for posting this good preventive tip. We all forget these simple things from time to time and the consequences can be disproportionately hugh.

See you next week for Capitol Jets.

Take care.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:27 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Her's an addendum to Frank's story...I also plug my fuel vent(s) for handling and transport, and generally remember to remove them before fueling by the act of attaching an overflow/taxi tank.

Forgot the taxi tank one day, hooked up the Jersey Modeler, and started fueling - of course, being distracted through the whole process by talking to a spectator. You guessed it - only took about 30-45 seconds before the center seam of my main tank ruptured.

Like U2fast, I also now use a red "Remove Before Flight" flag on my vent plugs.

Barry