Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Old 01-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

My personal RTTF (Return To Turbine Flight) occurred at about 2:07 PM yesterday 12/31/08. What a way to end 2008!

I maidened my new Boomerang Sprint at our club’s new field. Sorry for the lack of photos of it flying, I was the only person there all day.

I got there at 10:45 and left at 4:15 without seeing a single soul. I did several hours of range checks with FASST until I was satisfied. The final range checks were with the AMT Netherlands Mercury running. As I was the only individual there, I had to use a HUGE Craftsman screw driver, hammered into the center of the runway, tied to a rope around the Dreamworks Pro-Link strut to hold the plane. I recall thinking to myself “Dummy, don’t forget to pull that Craftsman out of the ground before the maiden, cause if you hit it on takeoff or landing, it will seriously mess up the Sprint AND be the best stupid Pollack trick of ‘08”. [X(]

Well, the maiden and the next three flights went very well (just some down elevator trim and some aileron), but you guessed it: I was talking to Pulsejet Harry on the phone, post-maiden, when I noticed that I indeed had forgotten the screw driver!!! What a dope! Luckily the plane was veering to the left on the takeoff roll and it was missed.

One sad note is that we finally have a flying field now, post-Katrina. It is a gorgeous grass field, as good as they come. But our club took a BIG hit from Katrina: so many members lost everything and moved away while others still have bigger life issues to worry about and no time/money for R/C. All of that combined with the fact that the new field is 37 miles away (where as the old one was just a few miles) I am afraid is killing our club. Most days when I go out there, there is no one. If this continues, our club will die in a year or two. I sure hope that changes. []

Thanks Alan for a great airframe!!! Now to get started on the Boomer XL II that resides in the garage.

P.S. BTW, that was the very first turbine flight EVER at the new field!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59162.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	1100771  
Old 01-01-2009, 06:56 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ltdorn1

oh.....lol

kinda looked like canards... so how fast has she been?

I keep thinking of getting a speed sensor to see how fast my sprint is pushed with my 22lbs falcon.

Lawrence

a good average flat and level is 150 on warm/hot days, 160 when it's cool/cold with P70. i wouldn't buy the sensor for a boomer, i had it on my A4s as a speed limiter because i tend to fly with left stick in the ON position and it would push it well past 200 and I've folded a wing on one of them because of it
Old 01-01-2009, 08:30 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woketman Congrats on the maiden I am glad to hear everything went good for you.
KC thanks for the picture I may do something similar to what you did
I was also thinking about the air sensor but just not sure yet.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:39 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you use a GPS device, like Eagle Tree? It does not require any External apparatus.

A number of our club members bought a Wrist based Garmin GPS (Fortrex 101), for $40, from Aldi's of all places. We took off the Wrist Band and Velcro it in to the aircraft. In the aircraft, it is only useful for Max Speed and Total Distance Traveled, but it was cheap and you can stick it in any airplane. It is quite accurate.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Woketman

Thanks!

I have an issue. The night befor the maiden, I was in the garage doing last minuted preparations. I put the wings on and was torqueing down on the retainer bolts. I did not over do it, but one of the bolts must have had a flaw of it was VERY britlle. The head twisted off!!! I just about crapped myself. It is the aft bolt on the right hand side. I managed to get the plane into and out of my trailer by taking the spar out and leaving the right wing on. But I do not want to always have to do this. I tried to slot the remainimng top surface of the shank and getting it out with a small, flat screw driver to no avail (one of the walls of the slot would simply break off).

Any ideas guys on how to get this thing apart? Do they make Easy Outs that small? Even if they do, I am not sure it will work as I have pretty much boogered up the top face of the shank with the Dremel cutting wheel. Ideas???? Thanks.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:55 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Why don't you use a GPS device, like Eagle Tree? It does not require any External apparatus.

A number of our club members bought a Wrist based Garmin GPS (Fortrex 101), for $40, from Aldi's of all places. We took off the Wrist Band and Velcro it in to the aircraft. In the aircraft, it is only useful for Max Speed and Total Distance Traveled, but it was cheap and you can stick it in any airplane. It is quite accurate.
the JetCat GPS unit is 350 bucks, i gave 50 for the airspeed setup and the other name brand products will not control the turbine. the airspeed sensor does quiet a number of things with the JetCat turbines, with indicated air speed being just one of the features.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:06 PM
BuschBarber

I was thinking you were just using it to measure Air Speed. I forgot that it could be used for other purposes.

I have had a P80 for several years but I have never purchased any other JetCat accessories, yet, so I am not too familiar with what they offer and how it can be used.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 12:04 AM
KC36330

I was thinking you were just using it to measure Air Speed.
as mentioned in my previous post, i got it for my A4 for the speed limiting feature because I've folded a wing in flight due to excessive speed from the habit of left stick in the ON position for the entire flight.

I forgot that it could be used for other purposes................ I am not too familiar with what they offer and how it can be used.
check your turbine manual, on about page 65 it explains all the features the airspeed sensor offers, some are quiet handy

Old 01-02-2009, 04:29 AM
Doc...

Hi Alan,

Any ideas on a good way to install the inlets to the fuse? The tabs on the inlets or the 4 cut outs in the fuse need a little work to fit flush against the fuse. Once that is done and the covering is cut away, how do you secure it during the drying process? Do you recomend 5 min epoxy or ca?

Thanks,

Doc...
Old 01-02-2009, 06:13 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Doc, I fitted mine on last night, no problem with the top fitting with CA but the flange is the wrong angle on the lower part. I think you can clamp the lower flange through the air intake holes in the fuse sides and epoxy them.

Plans call for Zap a Gap which is fine on the top (rough sand the flanges) but something more substantial is needed on the lower ones I think, Gary.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:39 AM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

hey doc I don't know if this will help but if you look at post 91 and 92 on page 4 Allan mentions that the
bottom of the intake doesn't touch the top of the wing. No pun intended on the post numbers I am serios. LOL
mine also are not touching the top of the wing. there is a little gap betwen the two
Old 01-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Woketman

I used thick CA on the top and Goop on the bottom, due to the gap.

Anyone have any ideas about my twisted off bolt?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:56 AM
BuschBarber

I was just watching an advertisement, on Cable TV, several days ago, for a Screw Extractor Kit. This particular kit came with bits that had a conical shaped drill that was used to prepare the bolt before extraction. They specifically showed it being used on a bolt where the head had twisted off. Once the conical depression had been drilled into the top of the bolt, the bit was flipped over, slipped into the chuck of the drill, inserted into the depression in the bolt, and bolt was extracted.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Doc...

Hi Gary,

Ya, I think that was what was on my mind. Actually, if pushed a little, the angle is just about right on mine. I'm probably going to use CA on top and 30 min epoxy on the bottom. I'm aware it was not designed to fit flush on the wing so there is no problem. I can just barely fit a thin piece of paper between both of them. Thanks for getting back on this.

Doc...[8D]
Old 01-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Doc...

Hi,

My problem was the attaching procedure, like what to use, etc. Ya, Alan was very clear that the inlet was not designed to be fitted to the wing. If you read post 339, that's what I told Gary.
Thanks for your help,

Doc...
Old 01-03-2009, 04:43 AM
madmodelman

OK Doc, I went down to see Ali Machinsky yesterday, he's a great guy, very helpful considering he's always busy.
I took my fuse down for him to cast his eye over. He agrees, Zap the top and epoxy the bottom flanges. As a matter of interest he fills the gap between the wing and intakes with silicone to aid airflow, good idea.
I picked up quite a few hints while I was there.
We must be at about the same build stage as each other, is it your first jet also?
Gary.

Name:	Ig13186.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1102234  
Old 01-03-2009, 06:15 AM
DamBo

Hey everybody

There is alot of good imformation here.
I just ordered my Sprint from Patricia. I hope that the carrier has all of there Christmas fustrations out.
This will be my first turbine. I already have a Rabbit waiting to hop in, man does it sound sweet

Anyways, keep up the good work on the builds.
Pictures, pictures lots of pictures.

Woketman; I do not know how much room that you have to work with, but they do make 4 fluted eazy outs that are pretty small at the end.
This maybe what BuschBarber is talking about [link]http://www.mcmaster.com/[/link] part #53405A41
Good luck
Old 01-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Doc...

Hi Gary,

Your right, Al is a great guy. I have only talked to him a few times. There is a strong chance he may come to Michigan Jets this year. It's held the weekend of August 7, 8, 9th just before the IRCHA Jamboree which I have to attend. No, this is my 10th Jet but 9 of them were DVF's. Ya know, I guess I'm just plan stupid because my 1st thought when trying to fit the intake to the fuse was understanding that where the 4 tabs fit into the slots, you could see a slight gap from the intake to the fuse between the tabs. I thought it was to fit flush up against but found no way It could. It came out ok but my bad I guess. If you go to post 176 in this thread you'll see the gaps. I copied the picture and put it into a photo publisher and really blew it up and there it was. O well, I never saw that in the instructions. I, as well, after sanding the areas to be epoxyed, I CA'd the top and epoxyed the bottom then clamped it from the inside. The retracts are in and I'm about to install the booms and the elev then start the installation of all the goodies. My Turbine will be here on the 6th. Can't wait. Where are you at so far?

Doc...
Old 01-03-2009, 09:00 AM
madmodelman

Chasing ruddy air leaks, cost me a couple of days so far! Everythings been out and I'm wiring the whole lot now.
Just got to epoxy bottom of intakes, sort the floppy profilm out without scoring the soft balsa, one or two odds & ends and I'm ready to build a fuel station, get some kero, then I've run out of excuses not to fly, or at least run the turbine. (damn cold over here)
Pic attached of my install, may help you a bit, Regards, Gary.

Name:	Kh17358.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	1102287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11541.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1102288  
Old 01-03-2009, 10:49 AM
ltdorn1
My Feedback: (39)

ORIGINAL: madmodelman

OK Doc, I went down to see Ali Machinsky yesterday, he's a great guy, very helpful considering he's always busy.
I took my fuse down for him to cast his eye over. He agrees, Zap the top and epoxy the bottom flanges. As a matter of interest he fills the gap between the wing and intakes with silicone to aid airflow, good idea.
I picked up quite a few hints while I was there.
We must be at about the same build stage as each other, is it your first jet also?
Gary.

Please share the hints he provided. I for one had never heard of sealing the inlet gap (1/8 inch gap between wing and inlet) with silicon. What does this do for you? Speed, stability, ??

Alan,
I always wondered why there was a small gap between between the inlet and wing. Is this a manufaturing requirement or it there and aerodynamic reason for the gap?

Thanks,
Lawrence
Old 01-03-2009, 10:51 AM
KC36330

Gary,

looks like your air lines on the retract valve aren't fully seated on the barbs and no safety wire on the fuel lines, I'd recommend fixing both.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Woketman

ORIGINAL: SavAxiInf

Woketman; I do not know how much room that you have to work with, but they do make 4 fluted eazy outs that are pretty small at the end.
This maybe what BuschBarber is talking about [link]http://www.mcmaster.com/[/link] part #53405A41
Good luck
Thanks! I will give that a try.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:50 PM
madmodelman

Thanks, I've had all the retracts out, checked and wired every single air joint and still have a small leak on retracts and bigger one on the simple brake system. It has to be either Jetronic valves which I doubt or the retract cylinders somewhere, been at it all day, it will just not go away.
I think Ali uses silicon for safety and aethetic reasons, at 150 mph or so there's a lot of pressure trying to rip them off. OK at the top because of the four lugs/notches but not much holding them at the wing position. I suspect Alan designed them that way for ease of manufacturing tolerances, they would have to be very accurate to follow the wing contour exactly.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Turbinac

I guess I have to chip in here.

I use only thick CA glue (Zap A Gap or similar) and we have NEVER had one of the intakes come loose. The airflow is so easy through the fuselage that the side pulling forces are minimal on the intakes, certainly not enough to pull them off at any speed.

When I and later another builder filled the bottom gap with some kind of filler, it was so much less neat and tidy than leaving them as they were that I never used it again.

Strip the cut away covering about 1/16" (1.5mm) inside the line of the intake before fitting it, including the top line across the cutouts. Using CA means you can hold the top line tight against the fuselage side as it hardens and make a tidy job of it. It takes me one hour or so, start to finish, to fit the intakes, including stripping the required covering off. If you fuss over it you will not improve the simplicity and the tidy result.

A touch of white or silver added inside the front inch or two of the intake mouth before fitting it is a good idea. This will be factory added in future kits.

Name:	Us53766.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1102700  
Old 01-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Woketman

Wish I had thought about painting the insides before I glued them on!

Alan, any ideas about my bolt issue? I have an Easy Out on the way, but I am dubious about my chances for success.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.