Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 27 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast

RE: Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Hi all have read all the posts and right now building a Sprint I got from Patricia two weeks ago and got the retracts Friday and the axles are to long do you cut them off or what ? I have a JetCat 70 for power and the tank came from Patricia 125 oz.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello

That shape of intakes seems to make that humming sound. Its the same on the rookie, rookie II etc. Dont worry too much about the balance, as long as its where Alan suggests, i.e. wings off and balance on the main spar. Its a very docile and forgiving plane.

Paul
    Dont talk to me about props. I dont care I dont want to know!!!

here is a picture do I cut the axles I got the set for the sprint I would think everything should fit out of the box ?
    jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11011.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	1196189  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you can cut it off, they are long so they can be used with many different wheel/brake setups.
    Morgan Fuels / JetCat / KingTech

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: iiievolution
    Dont worry too much about the balance, as long as its where Alan suggests, i.e. wings off and balance on the main spar. Its a very docile and forgiving plane.
    Yes, but that's the problem, as in my case, Alan's recommendation and the manual are far apart! And, as much as I like tinkering with planes i do prefer flying them, so didn;t want to go down the route that everyone else seems to have, by balancing on main spar and adding a shed load of weight to the nose to balance, only then having to pull it all back out again to make it fly better!
    However, perhaps i've missed something out, so for those that have 5mins to spare (and perhaps a big garage), could you try both methods and see if you get the same results.

Thanks

J

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

to kb8ife,

i may be incorrect here, but, from the looks of your picture it seems that you have the starboard strut in the port position....

richard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's just what I was thinking!
    Stuka, P51, Super Chipmunk, Super Stearman R170, BE2e, Javelin, F16, L39, F86, Viperjet and at long last an F4!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

or, is that the flap or the wing to fuselage fairing i see in the photo?....it's hard to tell from the picture....

richard

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Doh!!!!!!!!! You're correct!
    Stuka, P51, Super Chipmunk, Super Stearman R170, BE2e, Javelin, F16, L39, F86, Viperjet and at long last an F4!!

I thank you all, I'm a newbie and want to get it right and ok on one size fits all, I have had jets before Byron F-16 with a os-91 but this boomerang is way cool I'm in west central Michigan and can't wait to get it in the air. I'm 56 and been flying RC 40 years mostly Heli's Hirobo Tsurugi's and Bergen this will be my first Turbine.
    Thanks all I'm sure I will have more questions.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You've got no worries, I had to wait until 63! They fly great.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All is as it should be. The flap is at the bottom of the photo, fuse fairing at the top - because you are looking at the BOTTOM of the wing, the port side is on right side of the photo.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: J.F

ORIGINAL: iiievolution
    Dont worry too much about the balance, as long as its where Alan suggests, i.e. wings off and balance on the main spar. Its a very docile and forgiving plane.
    Yes, but that's the problem, as in my case, Alan's recommendation and the manual are far apart! And, as much as I like tinkering with planes i do prefer flying them, so didn;t want to go down the route that everyone else seems to have, by balancing on main spar and adding a shed load of weight to the nose to balance, only then having to pull it all back out again to make it fly better!
    However, perhaps i've missed something out, so for those that have 5mins to spare (and perhaps a big garage), could you try both methods and see if you get the same results.

Thanks

J

I Have to agree with you. Right now I pretty much have it balanced at the 250mm mark but that is with the 2 batteries in the nose.
    and 1 in the center of the tray. Ths is with the wings on, uat full, gear up.
    How is everyone else balancing theirs?? On the spar or with the wings on?
    Pete H
    A Happy Jet Central Falcon & Rhino Owner

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I personally balanced with the wings on, but mine flew very nose down in the turns and had to haul elevator quite a lot.
    I spoke to Alan (the designer) and he said it was fine to move the cg back a good inch which I did and it has completely transformed the flying characteristics, it's a dream to fly now.
    Published cg is for absolute safety reasons for non experienced pilots apparently. Trust me, it works! Gary.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I balanced mine with the wings OFF. It balanced at a slight nose down attitude like that. Once flown the CG prooved perfect like that. What I ment in the previous posts was that the boomerang is a very forgiving model and dont worry too much about your CG if its a little out on your first attempt i.e. it wont be uncontrollable. Alan mentions above that you can move it a whole inch!! Moving the CG a whole inch would be catastrophic in many other jet desighns.

Paul
    Dont talk to me about props. I dont care I dont want to know!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nothing left for me to do but balance my Sprint and go fly it. But I have to say that, having built two Intro's and two XL's, the fit on this plane was really crappy in places. I've previously posted about the grinding I had to do to get the air scoops to fit against the fuselage due to the warpage in the gluing flange. After I got that done, the wing tube wouldn't fit, and I could see a hump in the middle of the inner tube that I haven't been able to fully get rid of even after sanding and sanding with a dowell wrapped with sandpaper. I did manage to sand right through the inner tube right at the first rib (grrrrr). I got the wing tube into the center section with a lot of baby powder and pushing and grunting, but I doubt that I'll be able to easily get it out again. Similarly, the inner tube in the wings and booms was too tight and the aluminum rods wouldn't easily slide into the booms or the center section. Suffice it to say, assembling the wing, boom and fuselage two rods and the CF wing tube was a pain as there appears to be an alignment problem as well. I had to grind points on the aluminum rods in order to get them started into the holes, and I again wonder if I'll be able to pull the whole mess apart after I get the plane balanced. The set screws to hold the wings on seem redundant because it is going to be a two-man job to pull the wings off the plane. None of the four bolts holding the elevator to the booms lined up and I had to enlarge the holes. This is going to be a real pain to get them screwed in at the field. They have to be screwed in in a certain order or they won't all fit. The flap won't come all the way up because it rubs against the bottom of the fuselage. Of course you don't realize it until way after you hinge the flap and mount the center section permanently. By then it is virtually impossible to grind away the bottom of the fuselage so the flap will come up all the way. I thought the control hardware was cheesy and way too light for a jet sporting a P-70 or P-80, so I junked it all. Sqeezing the wing leading edge will easily crack the sheeting. Finally, the plastic wheel wells were so brittle that trimming them with scissors is impossible. They just crack to pieces. Very disappointing. The high point? Man, those trailing link struts from Dreamworks are soooooo sexy!

Overall, IMHO, I'd say if a beginner (or an old guy like me) wants a fast and fun build, and a delightful flying plane, go with a Shock Jet ARF from TBM. I love mine. I have a Bee in mine, but if I had to do it over again, I'd power it with a Jet-cat P-60SE (I have one in my Intro). The service you get from Jet Cat is unbeatable. Take it to the field, put four bolts in the wing (they lined up perfectly) and you're good to go.

Jack

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with you jneedham.

I have found more items on this arf out of alignment and misaligned than any other arf that I have put together.
    Turning down the aluminium wing rods a few thousands just to get them in the tubes. All of the things that you mentioned were the same problems that I had found with mine.
    I thought that these were supossed to be high quality affordable arf jets.

Maybe we got the Monday, Friday kits[]

I won't do it again

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That SU$@%!! I was going to buy one[] I bought the Intro. about 2 years ago and it went together fine!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well guy's, there are several Sprints. Xl's, Elans, and Baby Boomerang jets here in my club and no has had any problems building any of them. Most of the guys have build there jets with in a week and in the air by the weekend. Also we have three new jet jocks waiting on the new Nano to arrive. So the answer is "YES" i will buy another boomerang product with out thinking twice.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

As far as the air scoops, you made more work for yourself than you needed to. I, like you, was unsure on how they should fit so I emailed Alan and he explained it to me. They wern't designed to sand them flat. I agree about the flap problem but that's what a trial fit is all about. Instead of publically flogging Alans product, maybe contacting Patricia would serve you better. There is nothing Alan won't do to make things better including replacing problem parts or any other issues you may have.

Doc...
    \"Never give up, Life is to short\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree with Doc, in the modelling world NO kit will ever be perfect, anyone building a jet should be capable of checking and small mods before final assembly, takes about two minutes to remove a bit of balsa to relieve for the flap and a bit of vasaline to lubricate the ally rods!
    If you have a problem why not speak to Patricia or Alan rather than slag the airframe off publicly?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am not attempting to publicly flog the product. And yes I think that I will contact Patricia and see if there is anything that I can do about the issues.
    I have put many arf's together and some go together as they should, with some minor tweeks here and there.
    Some don't. This one did not go together well at all and all of the vasoline in the world will not correct a fit or alignment issue. Maybe if the wing rods are a little tight, but not if they are going in 3 different directions, 10 minutes to put a wing on and 20 to get it off without crunching it is not fun.
    I don't want anyone to get the idea that I am here to bash the product. I am not. I bought it because I like the looks and the flight characterictics that I saw in the videos and if the assembly was as stress free as the flying was, I would be a happy camper.

I am not a grumpy old man. I just call it as I see it.
    My 2 cents, or maybe 1 now

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Didn't mean to be too hard on you, I cant work out why the rods don't line up, laser cutting and all. Patricia will sort it for you though, when you fly it you will love it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

high quality affordable.

It has been my experience that there is no such thing...most of the time. If you build a plane from scratch it may become high quality, and if you are among the very elite wealthy, it may be affordable...lower your expectations of a foreign built arf and you will be very pleased.

MACE

PS This is a good quality ARF and I am pleased with what I have come across so far. It does pay to read this thread from beginning to end. (just as mentioned below) that is what it is here for. One has to take advantage of that fact that people have taken the time and consideration to post their findings in order to help others...
    Peace Is That Brief Glorious Moment In History When Everybody Stands Around... Reloading

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

I understand what your saying but there are some people just getting into Jets who just may turn in another direction after reading you blurb. I've been into DF jets for many years but the Sprint is my 1st go at a Turbine and because of the many recomendations not only on the Boomerang but the SUPER customer service they have, I went with the Sprint. Remember, it's not so much what you say but how some people preceive it. This Build Thread and the people involved here have been a great help to me on many issues and questions I had once I started on my Sprint. That's what this thread is all about. If you havn't done this, go from the beginning to the end of this thread and you'll hopefully get what I'm trying to say. Here is Patricia's phone # located in Texas. If you don't know, she is Alan's sister and is the distrubitor here in the USA. She is a great lady and always willing to hep, get you an answere or do what ever it takes to make you happy. 972-991-1499.

Good luck flying it. I know you'll enjoy it.

Doc...
    \"Never give up, Life is to short\"

Page 27 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777 ... LastLast