Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 08:09 PM
kb8ife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

OK guys here it is as of today how is the turbine fitting ? is the clamp on right ? now making all the the things work mounting the turbine down with blind nuts ?
thyanks jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32048.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	1206703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85146.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1206704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75636.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1206705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi15897.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	1206706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41451.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1206707  
Old 05-26-2009, 08:55 PM
DamBo

Well here is the maiden on the Sprint.

Enjoy

I know that I will...
www.youtube.com/watch

I hope that this works
Old 05-27-2009, 06:26 AM
iiievolution

Hello

Looks ok but I would install the turbine clamps the other way round in order to get the turbine as far forward as possible. This will reduce your likelihood of having to use balast in the nose during theend of assembly to get your CG right.

Paul
Old 05-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Doc...
My Feedback: (2)

Good point Paul.

Doc...
Old 05-30-2009, 09:58 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Going to be doing my maiden in the next week or so.

I need to do a final look over and get some free time away from my kids sports, they got me pretty tied up right now

Can you guys tell me approx how much down elevator you are using for full flaps?

Old 05-31-2009, 12:45 AM
iiievolution

For half flap I use 2mm of down elevator and for full flap I use 6mm of down elevator.

Paul
Old 05-31-2009, 01:05 AM
Doc...

Hi,

I did my maiden last Saturday and did 3 more flights today. Good luck on yours. We are not using 100% full flaps right now. Were at about 55% mixed in with about 30% down elevator. There was no ballowning but that is effected by what speed you deploy the flaps. We were about 50% on the power with a P-80 when the gear came down on a gear pass. On the beginning of the down wind leg we deployed the flaps with about a 6 knot wind right down the runway. She just floated in to a smooth landing on grass. Hope this helps.

Doc...
Old 05-31-2009, 05:45 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Doc...

Hi,

I did my maiden last Saturday and did 3 more flights today. Good luck on yours. We are not using 100% full flaps right now. Were at about 55% mixed in with about 30% down elevator. There was no ballowning but that is effected by what speed you deploy the flaps. We were about 50% on the power with a P-80 when the gear came down on a gear pass. On the beginning of the down wind leg we deployed the flaps with about a 6 knot wind right down the runway. She just floated in to a smooth landing on grass. Hope this helps.

Doc...
Doc

Sorry to bring this up, but %'s don't help anyone, it all accords on how much movement you have, servo arm positions, ATV, or End Points, a % is a proportion of your movement and cannot be translated to another airframe unless their set up is exactly the same as yours.

Please give movements as a measured value i.e. inch or mm.

You are not alone in this,lots ofpeople seem to give movements as the % on their Tx screen, but as explained above it does not help.

Hope you don't mind my bringing this up, just trying to be helpful.

Mike
Old 05-31-2009, 09:06 AM
Doc...

Hi Mike,

You are right, each ship is different. What I gave him was what works for me and possibly a guide for him but I didn't say that. Thanks for catching that. Yestereday, before the winds went nuts, Jon Stotz, whowill be giving me my Turbine waver, did a video flight so I could record it. The sun was right in our faces and hard to record but at least you can see my bird flys. The video's will get better. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ35pmjqZog

Doc...
Old 05-31-2009, 09:34 AM
hpais

Doc, very nice!

Congratulation on the maiden of your Sprint!That was certainly a high moment you won't forget anytime soon.!

If I may offer just one suggestion unrelated to the jets, take the camera out of autofocus, because it needs contrast in order to get in focus, and a blue sky presents a uniform image with no contrast or edges for the camera to focus on. Another thing I did in order to film high speed flying jets in Oshkosh was to keep both eyes open. One on the camera viewfinder (the small one, not the LCD), and the other on the jet. It's strange but very quickly your brain learns to point the camera to the right object and then you can track it very smoothly even at high levels of zoom.

Wish you a great and long flying experience with your Boomerang! Happy Waivering!
Old 05-31-2009, 09:45 AM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Congrats on the maiden Doc. Glad everything went well for you.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:15 AM
ricardinho

with a crosswind and a no wind i use full flaps with crow. it will come in like in slow motion. with a head wind i use half flaps and crow..
Old 05-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Doc...

Hi,

Thanks for that. I never thought about the auto focus thing. About the middle of the flight, I started keeping both eyes open and it became a little easier. I just got this and still learning. It will get better. I will look on how to disable the auto focus feature. Thanks again,

Doc...
Old 06-02-2009, 01:34 PM
Warwick Laken

Just putting my sprint together for the first time to do theset up and found that one of the aluminium rods that screw into the wing section will not screw in. On further examination the screwed end passes straight through the captive nut. The captive nut is bigger than the diameter of the threaded rod.

I do not want to cut open the wing section and replace the captive nut as it will spoil plane, which, has gone together really well. Better than my first sprint.

The question, If I aeropoxy the threaded part of the rod into the oversized captive nut, will it be strong enough?

Thanks
Old 06-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Doc...

Hi,

My suggestion to you is to contact Patricia at BoomerangeJets USA and tell her what you have found. I'm sure she will replace the wing if what you say is correct and I'm sure it is. No need to go to the trouble of that kind of repair. Thart's one of the most important parts of the ship. Her # is 972-991-1499. I forgot to look if you are in the USA or not but if not, she can direct you. Patricia is the dealer here in the USA located in Texas and is the sister of Alan Cardash.

Good Luck,

Doc...

Old 06-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Warwick Laken

Thanks Doc, I will e mail Alan now

Warwick
Old 06-02-2009, 05:03 PM
ricardinho

is everybody using 3 inch tires on there sprint. i am noticing my one tire is getting more worn then the other. i think i am putting to much air in and there locking up when i activate them.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Doc...

Hi,

I'm using 3" on mine as well but they are solid. Can't put air in mine. I got them from Dreamworks as part of the gear package. They may be BVM wheels and brakes.

Doc...
Old 06-03-2009, 03:21 AM
BaldEagel

I think Dreamworks supply "Intairco" wheels and brakes for their UC.

Mike
Old 06-03-2009, 03:44 AM
Doc...

Hi,

Your right. I don't know why I thought they were BVM. I guess I'll stop thinking. By the way, I'm ordering the Elan in about 2 weeks. That will be my winter project although it still feels like winter here. I don't know if you have the answer to this but what are people using in the aft section for the exaust? There is a thread here for the Elan called "Elan has arrived" but it is about 70 pages. How is your Sprint flying? Talk to you soon,

Doc...
Old 06-03-2009, 03:55 AM
BaldEagel

Doc

I am a lurker as I don't have a Sprint, I have an Elan, which I amthinking oftakingmy JetCatP80 out of and puting intoaSprint as I have a new JetCat 120SX waiting to be used in something.

Around the tail cone I used some BVM Heat Shield, but now I have flown the Elan a lot, I think its overkill and not needed, one thing I always do at the field is start the turbine prior to putting on the tailplane, that way if I get a hot start it will not damage the tail, incidently this is a Kero start and it has never flamed on me yet.

Mike
Old 06-03-2009, 07:33 AM
Doc...

Hi,

That's exactly what I do with the Sprint. Once started I then put the Turtle Deck on. If you havn't flow the Sprint, your missing out on a very stable ship. In the Sprint, I did use BVM heat shield and blanket in the back. Maybe an over kill but it works. Sorry about the identy thing. I thought you were another Mike. Good to talk to you.

Doc...
Old 06-03-2009, 08:07 AM
BaldEagel

Doc

That's Ok I often get mistaken for Sean Connery, its very annoying sometimes, these yong women comming on to me all the time, still its a cross I have to bare. LOL

Mike

Old 06-08-2009, 05:22 AM
DamBo

I got a few flights in this weekend.

Did my solo and got signed off on the turbine waiver.

Now it is time to fly and tweek.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:54 AM
Doc...

Hi,

Congrats on the Solo. Well, whers the pictures?

Doc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.