Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 04:55 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Here is a picture of the inside of mine... The only thing you can't see are the batteries. They are on the shelf in the nose. I needed the
nose weight with the falcon in the Rear
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48003.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1233454  
Old 07-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Doc...
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Pete,

Very impressive!!!!! I just got mine 2 weeks ago and when I used it on the 4th, we had a few more clouds than you did. The camera seems to be very sensitive to light. When the clouds role in, the quality is not as nice. You had full sun so the video cane out super. Good Job.

Doc...
Old 07-11-2009, 05:43 AM
Grumman

Hey Chris, I must have been confused in any case it was R/C Gypsy.... post # 133 in this thread...
Old 07-11-2009, 06:31 AM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks Doc.. I am happy with camera so far. I had one flight that the camera
just kept flashing yellow. not sure why yet.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:01 AM
chris1971

Ok,sorry I didn't look that far back!
Old 07-14-2009, 01:52 PM
BoomerangGuy

Hi guys im new here!
Im really into RC jets and i'm looking into Boomerang jets but i can't decide if I should get a Sprint or an Intro.
Any tips?
Thanks

George
Old 07-14-2009, 02:03 PM
ThomasP

George,

I think the Sprint has replaced the Intro, however I am sure there still a few Intro's on dealers shelves if you wanted one.

You will not go wrong whatever your final dececision on the choice between these two, you are able to fit a a larger turbine in to the Sprint.

Regards,

Alistair.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:13 PM
ETRURIA
My Feedback: (27)

George. Just wanted to say hi, you can not go wrong with the Sprint. After all there are 33 pages on the subject and counting.Regards. Charlie.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:02 PM
ricardinho

i would choose the sprint because of the size an is a faster airframe with the same engine. it has a better look also. remember neither one look like a prom queen but the sprint is better looking. for looks the elan looks great. funny i say that i am buying one this week .
Old 07-14-2009, 04:41 PM
BoomerangGuy

Thanks guys
Yea I will probably go with the sprint and a p80.

Thanks Again
George
Old 07-14-2009, 06:54 PM
hpais

Thanks guys
Yea I will probably go with the sprint and a p80.

Thanks Again
George
Hi George,

I'm in my 3rd full day of work assembling my Sprint... so far I have a few comments, my 2 cents.:

- The hardware that comes with the kit is garbage. Plastic clevises, terrible horns - I'm going to use DuBro heavy duty metal clevis, 4-40 threaded rods and heavy duty horns. If I were in the US, I'd buy the Central Hobbies titanium/carbon rods and MK horns made for pattern planes. I believe the kit deserves it.

- The CA hinges are garbage. I glued them and then very easily ripped them off like 3 days later. So I spent the last day removing them and replacing also with the nylon hinges, glued with Epoxy (not CA). I would have saved a lot of work if I had gone with Nylon hinges from the get go.

- I fuelproofed the balsa fuselage with Polyurethane paint, could have done it with an Epoxy Varnish. I think any two component coating would do but it's basically mandatory from what my fellow club members recomment.

- The P80 fits well and it's what I'm going to use. But you need to coat the balsa surrounding it with a heat shield paint or BVM heat shild fabric. A friend has an Intro with a P70 and the balsa all around his turbine turned brown from the heat. Now he heat proofed it and 'the surrounding area feels cools to the touch after landing.

- The P80 will heat blast the elevator servo, there are pictures here on this thread of how to protect it with aluminum tape. I haven't decided what I'll do but definitely be aware of the heat.

- You will need a strong servo like the Futaba 3305 (8kgf torque/240oz-in) for all around. And a stronger servo like the 9156 (25kgf/) for the elevator.

I have witnessed an Intro going into full flutter on rudders on a dive. Basically the servos weren't strong enough and the CA hinges let go. Anyhow the remains of the plane had ripped CA hinges.

I apologize if I sound like I just discovered black powder, but the Sprint looks like a trainer but remember it's a Jet. It will fly very fast, over 150mph, the forces on the surfaces are very high. It's very well built from the factory but it demands a very careful construction.

My only complaint is that for the price, Alan should have included decent hardware and hinges with the kit.

Hermann
Old 07-14-2009, 07:24 PM
ricardinho

i heard the same thing . i bought mine rtf from a buddy of mine with just a few flights on it. he said that these planes like all plane made in china need some tlc. nothing fits very well and everything need renforcment. the elan is that way also. i hate to build so i buy them ready to go proven and ready for action. and save about half of what a new one cost. all in all these are very nice planes..
Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 PM
BoomerangGuy

Thanks for all the advice Hermann
I will definitely look into all of this stuff and im just going to use my sprint for slow flight, loops and rolls ect.
I have heard about the problems with wet starts and i will sort something out for that like aluminum tape or something else.
Thanks again

George
Old 07-14-2009, 08:08 PM
BoomerangGuy

These planes are just the best but some of the clevises like on the elevator may need changing.
Ive read that people have had their pushrods snap at the tipandthe elevator control horn being melted on a wetstart so i will change some of the hardware to heavy duty

George
Old 07-14-2009, 08:16 PM
ricardinho

i use alot of the same hardware i would put on a giant imac plane. i have 8611s and hitec 5965s on the sprint. i do have ca hinges on the plane though. not one of them loose. i do inspect the elevator after everyflight do to just having one elevator surface. and the heat problem is corrected with the tape. i use propane so i never get flames out the back.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:09 PM
BoomerangGuy

If you use the gas start option do you get wet starts? Or is that just for the kerosene start option?

George

Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can have a wet start with any setup, most are caused by fuel leaking into the turbine during filling of the tanks because a manual valve wasn't used or wasn't turned off relying on just the electronic valve to stop the flow. the first thing i do when i shut down is close the manual valve, i also don't open it till I'm initiating a start.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:58 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can also get a wet start by having liquid gas in the start line rather than pure gas, I agree on the push rods they do not seem to come up to muster on a jet, but the CA hinges are being used on a lot of Elans and XL's without a problem, horns well they are a personnal preferance, I use the Dubro Heavy duty as the previous poster on my Elan, I would have thought the Lighter duty ones may do for the Sprint and would look more in keeping with the scale of things.

Mike
Old 07-15-2009, 09:20 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The CA/Mylar hinges are NOT garbage.

Most guys use them, you just have to do the job correctly.

From memory, if you look at Great Planes website reference their Super Stearman, it tells you how to do it.

The main trick is to drill a small 3/32 hole in the centre of each slot, use thin CA etc.

A 10 ton truck couldn't pull my hinges out, the wood would break first.

I agree about the pushrods but anyone considering any jet would be foolish to use anything less than 3mm rods and metal clevis's.

The supplied horns work perfectly.

25Kg on a Sprint elevator? That is way over the top.

DS 821's work adequately on all surfaces except elevator, Futaba 9541 at 8.7Kg is plenty.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:33 PM
BoomerangGuy

Yea im saying that the pushrods and platic clevises are garbage and ill use a 8411 servo on my elevator but I wont be pushing the sprint to its limits.
Ill just use it as a pleasure jet.

George
Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 PM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

George, you sure will get pleasure from it![sm=thumbup.gif]

Just one word of warning though, don't ever fly it at too low a speed especially if you turn downwind in windy conditions. Even a Sprint will drop a wing on you if you fly too slow, don't ask me how I know!
Old 07-15-2009, 02:43 PM
BoomerangGuy

Lol, I wont ask!
Yea ill be aware of the conditions and hopefully nothing happens!
I am going to buy a sprint in a couple of months so I hope nothing happens
Old 07-15-2009, 04:57 PM
BoomerangGuy

Does anyone know where you can if you can find the sprint manual so I can have a look before hand?

George
Old 07-15-2009, 05:06 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The manual is very basic, you will not learn anything from it that is not detailed in this forum, its not available on line or for download.

Mike
Old 07-15-2009, 05:24 PM
BoomerangGuy

Thanks! Cant wait to order mine!

George

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.