Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 09:59 PM
chris1971

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Boomerang Sprint Build Thread!

Try Dreamworks and Altecare RC. They both have retract sets for the sprint. I bought the set from Altecare and they are nice but the Dreamworks gear is a little better looking.

Chris
Old 06-23-2010, 03:42 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sandor at Digitech does a nice set of retracts for the Sprint and is a helpful guy.

http://shop.digitech-turbines.com/
Old 06-23-2010, 06:04 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, guys. I'm looking forward to getting started! Guess niow would be a good time to start at the beginning of this thread for build tips/advice/lessons-learned.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:40 AM
seravios

time to burn the midnight oil........
Old 06-23-2010, 06:51 AM
VF84sluggo

Yes, for sure. And if anyone wants to give me a quick and dirty summary here of build tips and potential screw-ups to avoid, it might be a good place in this long thread for it...kind of like the Cliff's Notes of the Sprint Build Thread
Old 06-23-2010, 07:22 AM
seravios

If you are used to building larger size plane,like a 120 to 140 size, I have good confident that Sprint is more or less the same. You will not have any problem. If you have doubt,you can always voice it out here,and we are here to help. It is also good to scan thro the pages here.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:23 AM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

be careful there is a left and right landing gear well. i didn't realize that untill to late..lol. very straight forward build. For safety i reglued all the servo mount areas (areas where servo mounts screw into).Also on my sprint everytime i tried to Z bend the pushrods in the kit you could feel the metal fatigue...i think they were too hard.so I replaced them with 4/40
Old 06-23-2010, 09:10 AM
chcarlos
My Feedback: (9)

Finished one of these recently and here are a few tips. Remember to fuel proof all exposed wood where a leak from the tank or UAT can end up. BVM Heat Shield the entire top and bottom of the engine compartment. Reinforce the battery tray -I fiberglassed the bottom of it from the nose gear compartment. The Dreamworks gear are very good [but will cost more than the ARF]. I replaced all the hardware just out of personal preference. With an P-80, I needed to add down thrust [washer under the front of the mount]. I epoxied the booms to the middle wing. Oh, and don't forget to insert the wing tube before you fly.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:19 PM
VF84sluggo

Thanks for the tips, guys. Yes, I was looking over the instructions and noticed the z-bend steps, and immediately was thinking if there was a better way. I also noticed in the instructions that the fuel tank be secured to the formers or it will rip out under negative 'g'...that got me thinking that the structure might need beefing uo. But damn, here we go adding weight...maybe I need to stick with my P-120!

My next question would be servos. I'll admit I haven't yet had time to read this thread, so it's probably in here. But, at the risk of getting flamed for asking before reading, I plan on using an AR9100 with two 2200 mah A123's to power the system.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:42 PM
seravios

I flown the Sprint for 23hrs, I recently expoxied the booms to the middle wing too. Noticed some free play after a while. Now it feels solid.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:49 PM
VF84sluggo

What's the best way to fuel-proof balsa from kero?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:57 PM
seravios

I dont. I make sure everything dont leak. From time to time,I will check for leak.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:19 PM
seravios

i had a small discussion with fellow flyer regarding putting a 120 into a sprint. We all agreed that if u use 120,DONT limit its throttle limit. As such when u put that engine in sprint, it already adding more weight to the airframe. THe danger is only when u fly in straight line, on max power,it stressed the airframe due to the drag. BUT, on low speed and mid range ( that is what u use most of the time), u will need the extra power to get out of situation when needed. I hope you able to understand what I mean...
Old 06-23-2010, 10:22 PM
chcarlos

Used Sig Supercoat to fuelproof. UAT developed a leak on the maiden resulting in a flame out. Fortuntely, I got her down without damage. There was a pool of kero in the fuse thanks to the fuelproofing. Not sure if its the best product but it definetly helped.

Using two A123's and an AR9100 myself -working good. The only problem is they aren't as flat as other batteries so they won't fit in the battery compartment above the nose gear. Not a big deal, just had to add 2 to 3 ounces of lead in the nose. Using less than 200 mah per battery per flight.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:23 PM
ricardinho

all those things will be perfect. 2 sugestions i would use the two 123s for the reciever and get one lithium maganese for the ecu. also if your using the 120 get the jettech 125 oz fuel tank. as for servos use the best you can afford. hitec 7985s all around would be great.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:44 PM
VF84sluggo

Great stuff guys, thanks. I should have added that my 120 came with a v6.0 ECU and a lipo, so I've got 3 batteries total. I may have to re-think the A123's. I just HATE to add dead weight. I like weight to earn it's keep, so to speak. My problem is I'm leery of NiMH and false-peak charges, and lipos need regulators, so that adds weight and failure points. I'm a little concerned about this jet and getting it 'porky', since it's balsa...seems fragile.

Seravios, yes I know exactly what you mean...use the power of the 120 in climbs, not WOT level down the runway. But, another issue is my -120 is an older, slow spooling model that I got fresh from a Jetcat visit and is "0" time (hence the newer ECU and lipo power) This slow-spooling has me concerned, and frankly played a large part in my decision to go with the Sprint...I could just see myself getting behind on the power when trying to land that big, heavy L-39 and crunching it in. A new P-80SE really seems like the way to go.

Sluggo
Old 06-24-2010, 01:30 AM
seravios

Sprint is not fragile. You will be surprise of how tough this box of match sticks (thats what some called it) can be...hahaha! And being balsa/ply,repair (if needed) is a piece of cake. Try to repair a composite jet,and let me know. Yup, with the old jetcat, the larger the turbine,the longer is the lag, frankly it is just a matter of getting use to it. Nothing serious acutally. My mentor been flyin the Kingcat with old P120 for 98 hrs...I sometimes have a go at it,no problem at all.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:35 AM
seravios

Or i feel a good option is to sell your L39, and buy a Kingtech K80E. Very very good spool up time. Very reliable engine and most important it is CHEAP. It suits the Sprint very well. LIght and powerful.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:31 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Great stuff guys, thanks. I should have added that my 120 came with a v6.0 ECU and a lipo, so I've got 3 batteries total. I may have to re-think the A123's. I just HATE to add dead weight. I like weight to earn it's keep, so to speak. My problem is I'm leery of NiMH and false-peak charges, and lipos need regulators, so that adds weight and failure points. I'm a little concerned about this jet and getting it 'porky', since it's balsa...seems fragile.

Seravios, yes I know exactly what you mean...use the power of the 120 in climbs, not WOT level down the runway. But, another issue is my -120 is an older, slow spooling model that I got fresh from a Jetcat visit and is ''0'' time (hence the newer ECU and lipo power) This slow-spooling has me concerned, and frankly played a large part in my decision to go with the Sprint...I could just see myself getting behind on the power when trying to land that big, heavy L-39 and crunching it in. A new P-80SE really seems like the way to go.

Sluggo
To get over the lag some what, set the tick over to 50,000 rpm with the gear up, it will decrease the lag time by about two seconds, just remember on landing to not close the throttle completly and bring her in on the back of the drag curve nose up with full 90deg flap and reflexed ailerons.

Mike
Old 06-24-2010, 02:36 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

My next question would be servos. I'll admit I haven't yet had time to read this thread, so it's probably in here. But, at the risk of getting flamed for asking before reading, I plan on using an AR9100 with two 2200 mah A123's to power the system.
Genuine A123's do not come in 2200Mah capacity unless you are using two 2 cell 1100mah in parrallel, A123 make 2300Mah and 1100Mah only, be careafull of the rip off P04's some have had bad experince's with them.

Mike
Old 06-24-2010, 05:54 AM
VF84sluggo

I was wrong, went and looked and my A123's are 2300mah...got 'em here: http://www.hangtimes.com/a123_packs.html

I did see in the instuctions where it was recommended to go with max flap deflection and a crow setup. Up-ing the rpm is also a good idea, one I hadn't considered. What to do with the L-39 is a thinker. I could 'cannibalize' it, sell it as an ARF, and pretty much have everything I need to build the Sprint, short of a fuel tank and gear. Some folks already have their own engine. Or just sell it pretty much RTF as it is, just needing final accessory placement and CG balancing.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:14 AM
seravios

When building a jet, do it once,and do it right.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:36 AM
chcarlos

What's the advantage of the crow setup? Just looking to learn not saying one is better than the other. Have 700+ ft runway and have been landing without flaps [or crow].
Old 06-24-2010, 08:40 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I should think so on 700 ft!

The main advantage is to slow down considerably, the up ailerons act as air brakes and more importantly washout and help to prevent tip stalling at slow landing speeds at high alpha.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:43 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: madmodelman

I should think so on 700 ft!

The main advantage is to slow down considerably, the up ailerons act as air brakes and more importantly washout and help to prevent tip stalling at slow landing speeds at high alpha.
Sorry to dissagree, but In fact the up ailerons act as spoilers more than air brakes, the flaps act as an air brake once they get past about 50 deg, the washout from the reflexed ailerons is a big bonus as you say.

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.