Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 62 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1757

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Flyeagle F18F

Oliver,

Are you using the aluminium round servo arms to drive the elevator? If yes please, can you give me a website link from where to buy them? Earlier in this thread I have read that the links for push-pull action must be offset on the servo arm to eliminate any binding issues.

Regards

Joseph

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Joseph,

Here is the product:
    http://www.airwildpilotshop.com/More...product&id=288

The best thing to do to have a precise offset is to check the geometry on paper, then try it on a plastic wheel, and only then drill the aluminium hub.
    When you do the test, install both pusrods onto the elevator dual arm , but hook up only one to the servo hub and check if the opposite hole stays fixed regarding its corresponding ball link.
    Oli.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oliver,

Thank you so much for the link. I noted that there should be an arm bolted to the Uni-Hub. What did you use? Or it comes a complete kit and then one can modify to his needs? Sorry for all these questions, but would like exactly what to order.

Regards

Joseph

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Joseph,

The hub only is good. It is in fact one the best servo wheel I have ever seen. Fits the 8711 head very tight.
    It is 6 mm thick so you just need to drill at 2,7 mm and tap at M3.
    Then fasten the aluminium ball links with the provided M3 socket head screw and loctite. No nut required.

The ball link is set at 7mm here . I use 6 mm on my F-18F. Check it before with the plastic wheel...
    Oli.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info Oliver.

I will look back to the earlier posts as well to have the initiall angle setup for the ball links. They seem really heavy duty those servo arms.

Thank you
    Regards

Joseph

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a video that I took this weekend of Kevin flying his F-18, Youtube should be finished processing it within 10 minutes or so after I post this link.
    Kevin's F-18 Flight
    Wayne Layne
    P-38 lightning Brotherhood #47

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice video.

Kevin,
    As I can see, the plane still have the auto pitch up tendency on short final, also it is not too bad.
    I'd recommend you to start trying approaching with less full flaps. You could try 25° instead of 30°.
    The final approach will get much more stable. You'll be able to flare much later and touchdown much earlier. The landing distance will actually get shorter, although the approach speed will be a bit higher.
    Oli.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wayne

Great video, Thank You.

Olivier, I'll give 25 degree a try and see what happens. As it is, this jet is really flying nice.

Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kevin,

Nice flight, nice landing!. Looks like you're having fun!

You've got the bugs worked out and now have an awesome performing jet!

David S

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will have another big F-18 one day. Nice vid Kevin.

andy
    The bitter taste of poor quality lingers long after the sweet taste of low price is forgotten.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

David,

You said many months ago on page 1 or 2 of this thread that this would be a great flyer, and you where right!!

Took a lot of hours and trail and error to figure out the bugs, but overall I think this is the best F18F out there for the money.

Now that FEJ has corrected the gear situation, wider stance and such, no need to tinker and change gear.

Also, if we can get the F16 to this level we will have another winner.

Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Kevin,

I think so too you that you have finally got this machine to fly the way it should. My 18 is coming along very well. I also have the mod for the main gear formers, direct drive nose gear steering. Mine will be powered by an old AMT450. I asked James for the heavy pipe. I don't think that you are using the factory pipe right ???. I would to know all the settings you have please pm them to me.
    Now you can enjoy you Super Hornet while you falcon is on the way !!!!.

FEJ REP/Mid Atlantic Demo Team Leader

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Eddie,

I think you will love this bird. Here are the current settings to use as a guide, as everyone likes a slightly different feel.

1. Elevator UP/DN at middle setting 55mm measured from the center of the leading root edge.
    2. Elevator neutral setting is 41 mm above scribe line.
    3. CG is 175 mm back of leading wing tip root.
    4. Rudders set to 1/2 inch both ways.
    5. Ailerons set to 25 mm UP/DN at center setting.
    6. Flaps. Take off set to 20 degree and landing (current at 30 degree, but may go to 25 degree) I use the BVM method and construct some wood templates. Sort of look like ply triangles but correlate to the specific angle, ie. 15, 20, 25, 30. this way both flaps are callibrated to the same angle.

I am using the P200. I cut off 2 to 3 inches of the intake FG housing and cut a hole in the center of this duct to allow the starter motor of the P200 to be inserted. I moved the engine up as far as I could so I would not need to add much weight.

I am using the TAM pipe, but FEJ probably has figured out their problem and thickness and theirs should be fine now. As mentioned I did a retro fit with Yellow Gear, and many hours of trail fit and finish. New gear doors, new geometry, etc etc. The FEJ gear I belive has anew angle with a wider stance. So get the update kit and you will be fine with the stock FEJ gear.

As everyone always says with an F18, I will say it agian, KEEP POWER ON IN THE BANKS!!!!!!!

If you listen to the video you can hear everytime I am about to bank, up goes the power. I was not used to this but now I am and believe me, I never want to lose another bird cause I stalled it in the bank.

Eddie, keep us posted on your maiden, and best of luck.

Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,

Finally after a year of study I am continue with the building of the F18. I am installing the upgrade of the main gears. I noticed that the rails that hold the main gears are going to be installed about 1 inch lower than the old rails. Is this correct? And being that low I assume that the gear will be installed in the lower end of the rails, not on top. As the gear will be now wider, this will keep the F18 incidence as it was originally. I would like to hear some suggestions from whom already installed this upgrade.

Regards

Joseph

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi

I started to install some stuff and then I saw that FEJ is going to release a Twin version. I assume that it is the same frame but with some aditional formers inside.

Any one knows how it will work? Maybe Oliver can give a hint.....I was planning to ask FEJ if there is an upgrade kit available.

Regards

Nuno

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: salibaj

Hi,

Finally after a year of study I am continue with the building of the F18. I am installing the upgrade of the main gears. I noticed that the rails that hold the main gears are going to be installed about 1 inch lower than the old rails. Is this correct? And being that low I assume that the gear will be installed in the lower end of the rails, not on top. As the gear will be now wider, this will keep the F18 incidence as it was originally. I would like to hear some suggestions from whom already installed this upgrade.

Regards

Joseph
    Hi Joseph,

This is exactly the reason why I did not install this "upgrade": the main gear plates come one inch lower. This means that the wing incidence would get much more negative.
    Since the plane already has a tendency to jump in the air...
    So I sticked to my original geometry that, by the way, gets me a wider stance by about 2 inches.
    I also installed all the gears on carbon flex plates. Works wonderfully well on hard landing.
    Oli.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jetnuno

Hi

I started to install some stuff and then I saw that FEJ is going to release a Twin version. I assume that it is the same frame but with some aditional formers inside.

Any one knows how it will work? Maybe Oliver can give a hint.....I was planning to ask FEJ if there is an upgrade kit available.

Regards

Nuno
    I don't know about the twin version Nuno. Sorry.
    Oli.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jetnuno

Hi

Regards

Nuno
    This has made me upset. I already removed all original gear rails. But I think that as the gear is going to be a bit wider, it will lower the plne a bit. I only took out one side. I will install that side and measure the difference. If there will be that one inch difference, I will install the gear on the upper side of the rails. What you think?

Nuno,

Yes. It will be good if there will bea kit for a twin. Have you asked FEJ?

Regards

Joseph

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Joseph

Not yet, but I will. I don't believe FEJ will deviate too much from the setup posted in this thread by the german guys who installed a twin gbooster. I just lost track to that plane and don't know if it ever flew. Make a search to see and take a look to this link:http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php?t=132352

Regarding the gear location, I have the same kit as you, but I have not yet started made the mods. I believe that you might relocate the plates a bit higher to allow the same AOA.

Regards

Nuno

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

..sorry PIlots, I just don't get it - in the past everybody complained about the negative AOA,
    because of the main gear is "to high" or better said front wheel gear to "low" -
    now FEJ delivers the main gear mod with a lower version -
    so It should be alright - is it ?

normally the tendency of the plane is NOT to jump, if the plane has positive angle ... and thats the case with lower mains..

anyway - I'm all happy with the 1st gear version even on gras - no mod ! - only to the front wheel -
    All you have to do is not driving racing car with the plane on the ground - just take of an land - an keep it straight -
    and there will be no wingwalk at all !
    Best regards

Timo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Timo

I didn't start to work my gear yet, but I guess Joseph's problem and Oliver's comment is that with the new plates there is negative AOA.

Can you post a video of your's flying with no gear mod?

Since you are from Germany, do you know if the F18 with the twin gbooster's ever flew?

Regards

nuno

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Timo44

..sorry PIlots, I just don't get it - in the past everybody complained about the negative AOA,
    because of the main gear is ''to high'' or better said front wheel gear to ''low'' -

normally the tendency of the plane is NOT to jump, if the plane has positive angle ... and thats the case with lower mains..

anyway - I'm all happy with the 1st gear version even on gras - no mod ! - only to the front wheel -
    All you have to do is not driving racing car with the plane on the ground - just take of an land - an keep it straight -
    Tim,

Think about it, if the retracts are going to be installed lower, (further down the bottom of the plane), then there will be more negative angle, as this will raise the plain from the back.

Regards

Joseph

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Timo44

because of the main gear is ''to high'' or better said front wheel gear to ''low'' -

Hi Tim,

The mounting plates are too low in the fuselage, which makes the plane sit too high on its main gear. This give a much more negative AOA on the ground. Although I received the "upgrade", I never installed it in the plane and sticked to my original geometry modification, which proves with the times to be the best one.

Joseph,
    It is a good thing that you removed the original rails any way. The original gear mounting design is destructive. The plates are too rigid and the formers too thin. This setup trends to crack the fuselage after a number of landings ( 70 to 80 ). My advice to you will be to discard the original rails and mount. Make up flex plates to fix the retracts. Modify the formers to fix your gear with an increased angle of 20 degrees outwards. Reinforce the formers with proper plywood ( 6 mm thick aero grade ply for the front and main formers )
    Oli.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you Oliver to your continue contribution to this thread. What type of flex plate shall I use? I know I saw something you modified but cannot remember.

So. removing the original rail mount and install 6mm to the former will do the trick. Shall I do them the same shapen for the former, (except for the angle)?

Regards

Joseph

Page 62 of 71 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast