Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

spektrum in jet , which receiver and voltage regulator?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

spektrum in jet , which receiver and voltage regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:02 AM
larryfl1
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spektrum in jet , which receiver and voltage regulator?

Hey all,

i have to get a new receiver for my new shockjet...

I use spektrum...

should i go with the dual power supply 9100 ?? or the 9000 single power supply

then on the voltage regulator should i use the spektrum or the fromeco? or one of each if i use dual??

totally confused...whats everyones recommendation and preference??

thanks

Larry

Old 08-03-2008, 09:15 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: spektrum in jet , which receiver and voltage regulator?

AR7000 or AR9000 is fine. Dual 5 cell batteries thru its each own switch harness will be fine. No need for regulators. Plug one into the batt port and the other into any unused servo port. As a reference, I use the above in a BVM KingCat without problems what so ever! IF using analog servos dual batteries are not needed, just good practice!

Saves some money for kerosene!

Dave
Old 08-03-2008, 11:52 AM
seflyer
My Feedback: (12)

what rcguy said is fine, I run that setup in my f-86. I run relions and smartfly turbo reg in the f-16 but surface loading is much higher and the 8711's are power hungry. your application the switch harness and batteries would be fine, my shockjet will be here next thursday and I'm going the simple route on it as well. ar7000 or 9000 would be good, I would go for the 9000 so theres no shortage of ports. kevin
Old 08-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: larryfl1

Hey all,

i have to get a new receiver for my new shockjet...

I use spektrum...

then on the voltage regulator should i use the spektrum or the fromeco? or one of each if i use dual??

totally confused...whats everyones recommendation and preference??

thanks

Larry

Larry,

I am currently setting up my own radio system, and as RCguy states...dual batteries " 2S A123 in my case" run through seperate switches into AR9000 with no regulators works fine. Also running a 3S A123 straight into the Jetcat ECU with no problems so far.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33445.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	1003464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55792.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	1003465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67661.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	1003466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf94196.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	1003467  
Old 08-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Ram008

If you use the AR9000, you can use either regulator. If you use the AR9100, you cannot use the Fromeco Wolverine switch, it won't work.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:15 PM
larryfl1

I think i will go with the 9100 with dual a123 packs...

last question...

i would like to put a charge switch between the battery and the 9100...who makes a failsafe charge switch that has the external pin to turn off rather then a switch...?
Old 08-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

http://troybuiltmodels.com/newsite/p...ages/QP&F2.jpg
This what you're looking for??
Old 08-03-2008, 03:05 PM
larryfl1

exactly but is that the switch included? doesnt look like it incudes the main swithc that it relays...
Old 08-03-2008, 07:44 PM
gooseF22

exactly but is that the switch included? doesnt look like it incudes the main swithc that it relays...
Larry
on the 9100, dont put anything between the batteries an the receiver. the receiver comes with an EC3 plug, so have your batteries wired with an ec3 plug AND a JR plug for charging. If you store the model for awhile, then unplug the ec3 plugs. My jet is that wiay with A123 batteries, and I charge through the JR plugs dangling out into the radio area. the other thing you can do is charge through the ec3's directly and you can charge up to 10 amps at a time. It will eliminate any point of possible failure.

I have run this setup on 3 planes now. use the soft switch that comes with the 9100. just make sure you cut the red wire on the soft switch (spektrum bulletin).

I have seen at least 50 jet setups with that setup now.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:48 PM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

Larry
on the 9100, dont put anything between the batteries an the receiver. the receiver comes with an EC3 plug, so have your batteries wired with an ec3 plug AND a JR plug for charging. If you store the model for awhile, then unplug the ec3 plugs. My jet is that wiay with A123 batteries, and I charge through the JR plugs dangling out into the radio area. the other thing you can do is charge through the ec3's directly and you can charge up to 10 amps at a time. It will eliminate any point of possible failure.

I have run this setup on 3 planes now. use the soft switch that comes with the 9100. just make sure you cut the red wire on the soft switch (spektrum bulletin).

I dont see why a smart fly pin flag switch wouldn't work on the AR9100 in place of the soft switch, as long as it closes the signal and ground wire. I dont have one here to test, but I think it might work.

The receiver is in itself failsafe, so that is why you wire the batteries direct and use the internal soft switch to shut it off. I plug em in after final charge, and unplug em when I put it to sleep for the week. simple, effective, and no chance for failure.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:12 PM
larryfl1

Goose,

thanks for the info..i will follow your advice exactly .....sounds perfect...

Larry
Old 08-04-2008, 10:26 AM
DKflyer
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

Larry

Doesn't that depend on what servos you are using? The 9100 does not regulate the voltage, and not all servos will tolerate the increased voltage of the unregulated A123 packs (not sure any except HiTec will tell you it's OK).

I'm running two 2-cell Li-Pos in my King Cat. I run them through 2 batteries america regulators and into the receiver. I don't use switches because I have to remove the canopy anyway, so I just plug them in before flight and unplug them after.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:49 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The 9100 is a waste of money. Like others have said it does regulate voltage to the RX but NOT to the servos. If you use a battery that is over 6v you will STILL have to have a regualtor between the RX 9100 and the Batteries. Otherwise you risk toasting your servos.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Goose, why do you need to cut the red wire? Do you have a link to the bulletin? Gary
Old 05-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

I am under the understanding that the soft switch that comes with the AR9100 Rx and VR6010 regulator are specific to these units and are not to be used with other Spektrum receivers and ONLY to be used with the AR9100. I do not know why but that is what is specified by Spektrum.

I am currently using the AR9100 with dual 4500 pacs and dual VR6010 regulators. I too am wondering what "gooseF22" is talking about concerning cutting the red wire on the soft switch. The way I am reading this issue is that if you use the specific soft switch for the AR9100 and the VR6010 no "red wire cutting" is required by the manufacturer. You may have to do this IF you are using a soft switch that is not specific for the AR9100 or VR6010 regs.

Also...I tryed to use the "pin flag" in the charge jack for my "on/off" switch so I would only have the charge jack for both power switch and charge jack but I found that when the pin flag was plugged into the charge jack I could wiggle the pin flag and the power would still come on and start the regulator fans running. This scared the hell out of me so I went with the soft switch to get a positive "on/off" for power and I only charge directly through the charge leads connected directly to the batteries.

Please let me know if I am wrong here or at least SHOW ME the link where Spektrum has published a "product bulletin" concerning this issue ( "cut red wire")...... OR explain to me why this is being done. I see no reason for it nor have I encountered any problems with my current setup and want to make sure that I do not. We are all here to learn and help one another...right??

Respectfully, Speedy Gonzales
Old 05-01-2010, 09:54 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gary Jefferson

Goose, why do you need to cut the red wire? Do you have a link to the bulletin? Gary

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7271022

I discovered the problem after crashing my A-4 about 2 years ago. I guess that Spektrum should have corrected the wire issue by now. But it is worth giving a look at.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:02 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A normal 5 cell Nimh comes off the charger at approx 7.2volts and does not fry JR servo's or the so called low voltage ones so why would a 2 cell A123 at 6.6volts not be OK?

Hitec user
Mike
Old 05-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

A 2 cell A123 is O.K., actually, it is more than O.K., it's the best choice by far.
I think Futaba has one or two servos that are for 4.8v only. Other than that, any servos that work good with 5 cell NiCad or NiMh will work great on unregulated A123's.
Use A123's without reg's. Reg's are just another possible failure point and they limit current flow.

Jim
Old 05-02-2010, 10:22 AM
Speedy-Gonzales

Thanks so much for the Spektrum "Product Bulletin" link. This is what makes these forums priceless. Good solid information followed up with FACTS. "Just give me the facts!"...famous "Dragnet" phrase. I forfeit today's flying and check my switches immediately!

Thanks again!
Speedy G
Old 05-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Speedy-Gonzales

UPDATE:
I just went and looked at the soft switches in my plane and there are only 2 wires coming out of each switch. They are both black in color. As I stated before...Spektrum is now stating ( in the instruction manual ) that the soft switches that come with the AR9100 and the VR6010 regulators are to be used only with these components. Apparently they have addressed the 3 wire switch issue at the factory and are now supplying a new updated soft switch. I would still suggest that anyone using the AR9100 receivers to check and double check your soft swtiches.

My concern now is what about all the other SPEKTRUM receivers out there that use the 3 wire switch as standard eguipment? Should ( or "is" ) the 3 wire soft switch safe to use in other applications. At this point I would say "NO" if in fact a short is being created by the red wire.

You guys are great! This type of information is priceless.

Speedy Gonzales