Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Burn Ban-Texas

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Burn Ban-Texas

Old 08-15-2008, 03:04 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Burn Ban-Texas

The OF's are getting together on this issue. You need to go to the next club meeting and suggest a vote on banning lipoly batteries during burn bans. They present the same problem under a failure as turbine jets do.

If that does not work, go to the city and tell them that club members are flying volatile batteries during burn bans.

This is what I plan to do next down here.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:32 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know that for a fact Sean, about OF's. I was told that it was the Army Core who requested to ground jets. I don't what their sources are, and how would they even know or care that we fly miniature jets. It is kind of fishy. I'm going to dig it up some more.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:44 PM
seanreit

Use your brain David, you can always find the coward, he's the guy that will ignore you, not face up tell half truths. There is a guy in this hobby that came up to me and told me that he would appreciate if I never associated with him again because of all that happened in Austin. He had the courage to say something, and while I disagree with him, I respect that he said something to my face. One of his friends just totally ignored me and wouldn't say anything.

I consider both of them reasonably intelligent guys, but that they can not see through the fact that the OF's at ARCA caused this whole thing, to me defies logic.

Becareful whos buttons you push too, at the Austin Jet rally this year, the locks to my trailer were CA'd such that I had to cut them off with a bolt cutter. Done in the middle of the night. Cowards.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:52 PM
FalconWings

Nah, sounds like an old girlfriend did that to you!
Old 08-15-2008, 04:34 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about a ground run. I would just go to a parking lot or something for that - just take your FE.
Careful to who and how much you talk about this - it could make it worse.....
Old 08-15-2008, 04:52 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

no df left to sell, but, i can give ya 100.00 each fer yer turbines<G>. since you can't use em and all that, ya know.
looks like time to find another possible site and form up a turbine club around the metroplex area.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:21 PM
FalconWings

ORIGINAL: smitty1001

I'm not sure about a ground run. I would just go to a parking lot or something for that - just take your FE.
Careful to who and how much you talk about this - it could make it worse.....
I've only talked to the President, VP and Safety Officer so far, all whom I've known since I moved here in '01. We have mutual respect, so it's cool. Safety Officer has not replied, wonder why?
I also know who NOT to talk to about this, unfortunately.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:56 PM
seanreit

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

Safety Officer has not replied, wonder why?
There's your Phag, um, I mean Flag.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Bob.R
My Feedback: (2)

This ought to take care of the burn bans, assuming the NOAA weather dudes are correct.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34302.gif
Views:	10
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1012281  
Old 08-15-2008, 09:29 PM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

DAMN!!! How much rain did ya get in the north Dallas Frisco area? 4"?
Old 08-16-2008, 06:59 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: seanreit

The OF's are getting together on this issue. You need to go to the next club meeting and suggest a vote on banning lipoly batteries during burn bans. They present the same problem under a failure as turbine jets do.

If that does not work, go to the city and tell them that club members are flying volatile batteries during burn bans.

This is what I plan to do next down here.
That reasonable. We had an electric powered aircraft go up in flames at our field.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:02 PM
smitty1001

Any word on whether all the recent rain has taken care of the burn ban or not?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

ORIGINAL: A10FLYR

DAMN!!! How much rain did ya get in the north Dallas Frisco area? 4"?

Man it seems like its been raining for a week straight.

I cannot in my lifetime ever remember an August in North Texas with this much rain.

The good part is thats its been 75 - 82 degrees for the past days
Old 08-19-2008, 10:29 PM
FalconWings

I went flying Sunday, but didn't bring a turbine. A couple of the guys were there. I complained (ok, bitzched) about the burn ban and they told me that I should fly and if that the safety officer had been there he would have let us fly. I don't know.........maybe we just have to ask.

Mr Prez told me that we could only fly when the burn ban expires. Unfortunately, Tarrant county has burn bans for 90 day periods, no matter if it is flooding outside. It expires late September. We should go to the next meeting and ask the club not to follow Tarrant County's policy, which is simply stupid. We should have a "common sense" policy instead.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:28 AM
grbaker

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Man it seems like its been raining for a week straight.
Sorry guys, the rain is my fault. My house slab has been ready to pour for over a week now. That's when the rain started.[:@]

If it gets your burn ban lifted, then you can thank me later.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:17 AM
seanreit

Even with all this rain, our area continues to be over 600 on the K/B.

David, I feel bad for you that you would even consider having to "ask permission" to fly your airplane of choice. That was my whole point with what I was trying to accomplish, none of us should ever have to ask permission, there should be a clear cut rule, and the K/B was the only way I could come up with one.

http://webgis.tamu.edu/tfs/kbdi_daily/kbdisummary.txt
Old 08-20-2008, 10:11 AM
FalconWings

Sean, we do have to ask for permission. Most turbine flyers do not go to the monthly meetings (myself included). We were not there when the club members unanimously decided to proceed with the burn ban and t create the new rules. We should have been there to present our point and defend our rights (if we have any). That was really our bad. Are we going to start going to the club meetings?………even after all this crap probably not. So we will be at the club’s mercy sort of, unless we start going to the meetings.
One thing we can do…….membership to the club is fully optional. It is a public field. We may choose not to pay club dues anymore, but we still have to follow their rules. That’s the agreement they have with the Core. I was told it was the Core who requested the turbine burn ban. Hard to believe, but I assume that the Club Prez is telling the truth.

Regardless of whatever the rest of the jet flyers do, I will not argue with the club leadership. Especially when I never go to the club meetings. I will try to persuade them instead. They are good people. The field is 10 minutes away from my home, the other clubs are at least 1 hour away. When I’ve lost jets in the tall grass before, a lot of people have helped me to go retrieve it. When I fly, most pilots land so I can have more space.
I am willing to accept this whole burn ban situation. And I will avoid being on bad terms with my club directive at all cost. In the end, if they decide to ban turbines permanently, I would still most likely fly props there every weekend and talk crap with fellow members.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:36 PM
aaflyer
My Feedback: (121)

David,

Smitty and I will be at the meeting on Monday, may be we can get a group of the turbine guys together and talk to Will. He has always been very helpful when I have had an issue about something.

Al
Old 08-20-2008, 03:47 PM
FalconWings

Al, I will try to make it, but I typically work late specially on Mondays.

I agree Will is very helpful.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:42 AM
smitty1001

This link is pretty cool. Stumbled onto it from Sean's leads.

http://texasforestservice.tamu.edu/m...p.aspx?id=1991

Seems like we are out of the woods scientifically speaking - politically is of course another story!
Old 08-22-2008, 03:31 AM
AMA234
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about when they call for any 'new business' at the meeting, why doesn't someone 'make a motion' to re-evaluate and re-vote on the turbine burn ban issue? Then all you need is someone to second the motion to get it into the works. I am sure there would be several turbine flyers that would show up for that.

Les
Old 08-22-2008, 03:38 AM
smitty1001

Les,

Good idea......it may not even take that much. I suspect that the officers are ready to present it as "safe" to continue with turbine ops but I don't know for sure.

The bad news is I WILL NOT be able to go to the meeting - I am taking night classes at UTA and I have class on Mon/Tues nights - next week = first day of classes.

The good news is you are about to do a paint job for me.