Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

•California Jets 2009•

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

•California Jets 2009•

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 12:01 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: •California Jets 2009•

ORIGINAL: Kriptonic69

I can't wait for CA Jets, I should have something new by then.

Gene
Very Nice!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:02 PM
SDCrashmaster

Old 11-06-2008, 01:12 PM
mav5252

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo Pilot dudes....can't wait to start recording at the Ca-Jets' 09 primo RC jet event. ...I'm even starting to clean my camera lens right now!

I'm posting “Memories from Miramar'08”, an 8 min presentation of two mibo
Hawgs and other aircraft , before the weekend is out...

Mike Anderson
Old 11-06-2008, 02:40 PM
SDCrashmaster

Old 11-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Kriptonic69
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

Is it another 'foamie' ?
Ooh no, it's a large Mig-29.... one of the old Top Gun kits... going to be at 6.8 kW of power, this sucker is electric.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Is it another 'foamie' ?
Ooh no, it's a large Mig-29.... one of the old Top Gun kits... going to be at 6.8 kW of power, this sucker is electric.
... but that makes it a foamie, since it doesn't burn kero
Old 11-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Kriptonic69

Is it another 'foamie' ?

Remind me to get you at CA Jets, I'm putting missles on this sucker....

One day I'll have something that uses Jet Fuel...

Gene
Old 11-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Kriptonic69

duplicate
Old 11-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see why you aren't so impressed by our fire breathers, Gene-o. You have been wrenching on Gulfstreams for long enough to be jaded by the likes of Jetcat and Wren [:@]
Old 11-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Toro1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to go.... Pace cat, and night heli.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I over reacted towards gordon

just buds messing with each other... I'm must have had a bad day

Ron
Old 11-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: Ron101

your toy airplane is just so much cooler

you hear this a lot from turbine pilots.. they say edf's are welcome but make comments like this all the time

maybe there[sic] trying to make up for something they lack

Ron
Hint : pay attention to the smiley that was at the end of the original post, and which you chose to remove for whatever reason.

Hey Gene – I heard that Presta's putting together an order for "If it doesn't burn kero, it's a foamie" T-shirts for the next LA Jets. Is it true that you're countering with a "My foamie flew faster than Ian Oberschnauserhouseroverholder's turbine F15" shirt ? If so, get me an XL, would ya ?

Gordon
Old 11-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Ron101

over reacted
sorry

Ron
Old 11-07-2008, 01:31 AM
Kriptonic69

your toy airplane is just so much cooler

you hear this a lot from turbine pilots.. they say edf's are welcome but make comments like this all the time

maybe there[sic] trying to make up for something they lack

Ron
Hint : pay attention to the smiley that was at the end of the original post, and which you chose to remove for whatever reason.

Hey Gene – I heard that Presta's putting together an order for "If it doesn't burn kero, it's a foamie" T-shirts for the next LA Jets. Is it true that you're countering with a "My foamie flew faster than Ian Oberschnauserhouseroverholder's turbine F15" shirt ? If so, get me an XL, would ya ?

Gordon
Naw,,, the Tee would read me saying "Ian, do you have the hammer down", Ian's response "Yup the hammer is down" my respose, "So's mine, will you look at that we are dead even", Ian " Yea but yours is just a foamy", me "But this is my small battery pack" Ian "Foamy"

I get a kick out of hearing you guys say "Foamie", "Hair Drier", "Vaccum Cleaner", "Toy" and my favorite "Klingon Bird Of Prey" ect.... It's all in good fun.

Gene
Old 11-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Kriptonic69

ORIGINAL: Eddie P

I can see why you aren't so impressed by our fire breathers, Gene-o. You have been wrenching on Gulfstreams for long enough to be jaded by the likes of Jetcat and Wren [:@]
Ooh, i am impressed, don't get me wrong... In fact I think i'm working on my last EDF right now... Soon I shall turn to the Dark Side....

Let's get back on Topic.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:59 AM
Kriptonic69

Duplicate
Old 11-07-2008, 02:53 AM
SDCrashmaster

I really don't think I'll go to cal jets this year.. I've heard to many guys baggin on EDF's
Ron
CA Jets has always been very EDF friendly. I'm not sure how you're connecting the Hairdryer, etc. comment to CA Jets.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Gordon Mc

I hear ya gordon.. but it's thrown around hear all the time by guys (hair dyer, dentist drill, foamie)

it doesn't really make me want to load my Tam jets A-4 and F-16
drive 5 hours , spend a few hundred dollars, to have someone bag on my planes .. which I love ... I'm pretty sure it's comments like that that give jet guys the elitist tag they don't like

I know you were kidding.. it just gets old..
I really don't think I'll go to cal jets this year.. I've heard to many guys baggin on EDF's
I'll fly at my club

wait for tams electric only meet

Ron
sorry it just gets under your skin at some point.. think about hom much you love your planes.. I feel the same way about mine
I think you're reading far too much into it Ron. However, for anyone who completely missed the friendly context of the quote, I appologise for any inadvertent ruffled feathers.

It is slightly interesting though, that while mentioning elitism you seem to be saying you'll support an electric-only event, yet an event (run by turbine guys) which has gone out of its way to welcome EDF's isn't good enough for you. If we wanted to be touchy about it, I guess the turbine guys could choose to take offense at the 'elitist' attitude of some EDF guys who think our turbines should not be allowed to fly at their events ! Instead, most of the turbine guys I know of think its great that EDFs have matured enough and become popular enough that EDF-only events can be successful.

Just FYI, California Jets got some pretty rave reviews from the EDF guys from the very beginning. At the inaugural CA Jets 2 yrs ago, an EDF walked away with the Engineering Excellence award, despite some of the truly remarkable turbine models that were present – including models like Ken Le's twin-turbine swing-wing F14, etc. ! Fact was, by taking the time to do some in-depth research about the various models present, we discovered that Ted's (on the surface, rather unassuming) little EDF seemed to have much more personal innovation, design and manufacturing skill in it than any of the more impressive looking turbines that were built from kits, and it was appropriate that Ted be recognized & rewarded accordingly. (Kudos to 'Sideshow' Bob Convery for being the first to realize this & suggest that the award go to Ted). This was very well received by the EDF guys (see e.g. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=511307&page=6 )

Since most of the EDF guys hang out on RCG rather than RCU, I registered for RCG primarily to be able to go on there after the event and get feedback from the EDF guys about what we could do to be more EDF friendly in future, and that feedback was overwhelmingly positive. Whether the event staff managed to follow-up on those suggestions and stay EDF friendly / become more EDF friendly, I don't know for sure – but as long as they are still trying then to me that's a heck of a lot more inclusive and less elitist than staging any "EDF only" and "turbine only" events will ever be.

Now as for the banter - the vast majority of clubs and events that I've been to are NOT environments in which everyone compliments each other constantly about everything in a totally PC fashion. In most cases, if people aren't trading good-natured barbs with you, then THAT's the time to feel insulted because obviously the guys don't like you enough to include you in the long list of people being ribbed mercilessly.

Perverse, I know, but it's the norm around here. At LA Jets Gene was certainly giving as good as he got, when the "if it doesn't burn kero, it's a foamie" phrase was coined. Good sport that he is, he didn't take offense, and instead jumped right back in and gave the dino-burner guys at least as much mock-sh*t back in return … and everyone loved him for it. Same with the totally awesome guys who somehow haven't figured out yet that egg-beaters belong in the kitchen, not in the pits or the air beside our cool stuff ! They too, enjoy giving us as much crap as we give them (if not more), and it’s a bonding (rather than divisive) experience.

When the people in the various groups can make good natured fun of each other, THAT's when you know that each side has accepted the other ; when each tippy-toes around the other in fear of saying the wrong thing, you know you have not yet reached a point of mutual respect / acceptance. (Kinda like how the only guy in the squadron who hasn't been given a mocking nickname by his peers should probably feel uneasy.)

YMMV, which is fine.

Anyway, back on the topic of the thread – CA Jets 2009 – all the feedback I've had thusfar is that if you're not totally thin-skinned (i.e. you can be around Dave Presta for more than 10 minutes without having to call your psychiatrist), and you like to have fun then it’s a great event regardless of what you are flying.

If anyone disagrees with that and has viable suggestions on how to make the event better then feel free to drop me a PM / email and I'll discuss any suggestions with the event CDs.

Gordon
Old 11-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Eddie P

Well said Gordon, you are a gentleman who goes the extra mile.

Not to be repetitive, but I can't wait for CA jets (smiley means, sweeeeeeeeeet!) I'll be bringing my EDF's, or, hairdryers, I mean "foamies" again (smarty face means ha ha ha ha ha ha).

Last year I was out of the country for 10 days right before CA Jets on business. I went to CA jets straight from the LAX airport and was exhausted - but it was still a good time! I think I maybe flew four times over two plus days because I was just too tired - I had to either pick flying or enjoying the company and it was just better to kick back and enjoy the show. I brought ONLY my EDF's because I didn't want my turbine stuff (fuel, electronics, hardware, etc) to sit in my car at the LAX airport for days on end for safety and security reasons. Even still, EDF was plenty of fun as always. The first CA Jets in 2006, several of the original organizers made a special effort to recruit EDF guys to come out and play. The event gets bigger each year but it still keeps the same close knit feel of guys razzing each other and expressing a little bit of kid like excitement at the prospect of a kitchen pass weekend out with the boys. I wonder if the close knit feel might be a hard shell to crack for some guys who feel they are on the outside. I can say that the remedy to this is just get in the mix and play, most everyone is very friendly. There are a few A holes among every crowd for sure, but that is life. Screw those guys and concentrate on the good times and good guys.

I'm sure Tam will be out to play with his high end EDF too at CA Jets. He's one of the guys who makes the show IMHO.

Ron, if you decide to go, hang out with us. I didn't get a chance to meet you last year. I'm going to have a better tent this year I believe with more room and I plan to be there longer as I have the days off. I may even camp this year, not sure.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Eddie P

So anyway I'm going to take the damned bait and, as fools do, remove doubt as to my intelligence. Who is this "World's Most Interesting Man?
Old 11-07-2008, 12:35 PM
SDCrashmaster

"His beard alone has experienced more than a lesser man's entire body"

"His personality is so magnetic that it prevents him from carrying a credit card"

"He's a lover, not a fighter. But he's also a fighter...so don't get any ideas."

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bc0WjTT0Ps]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bc0WjTT0Ps[/link]
Old 11-07-2008, 01:17 PM
sideshow

I think you're reading far too much into it Ron. However, for anyone who completely missed the friendly context of the quote, I appologise for any inadvertent ruffled feathers.

It is slightly interesting though, that while mentioning elitism you seem to be saying you'll support an electric-only event, yet an event (run by turbine guys) which has gone out of its way to welcome EDF's isn't good enough for you. If we wanted to be touchy about it, I guess the turbine guys could choose to take offense at the 'elitist' attitude of some EDF guys who think our turbines should not be allowed to fly at their events ! Instead, most of the turbine guys I know of think its great that EDFs have matured enough and become popular enough that EDF-only events can be successful.

Just FYI, California Jets got some pretty rave reviews from the EDF guys from the very beginning. At the inaugural CA Jets 2 yrs ago, an EDF walked away with the Engineering Excellence award, despite some of the truly remarkable turbine models that were present – including models like Ken Le's twin-turbine swing-wing F14, etc. ! Fact was, by taking the time to do some in-depth research about the various models present, we discovered that Ted's (on the surface, rather unassuming) little EDF seemed to have much more personal innovation, design and manufacturing skill in it than any of the more impressive looking turbines that were built from kits, and it was appropriate that Ted be recognized & rewarded accordingly. (Kudos to 'Sideshow' Bob Convery for being the first to realize this & suggest that the award go to Ted). This was very well received by the EDF guys (see e.g. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=511307&page=6 ).
Werd....

That F-16 was almost completely hand made....the ducting was awesomely done. Quite frankly, the most scale flight that year was by a EDF BAE-146....it was flown outside of the event times so it didn't qualify....but very realistic.

Ron, I think Gordon was just quoting DP's signature...which is a joke.

Don't get your panties bunched....its all good. I think the EDF's are amazing and some of them are more ballistic than the turbine powered version of the same airframe. Bring your shizznit out to fly....if the guys you're flying with aren't cool, they prolly aren't cool regardless what you're flying.

If your flying bro's ain't cool....they ain't bro's.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Ron101

Alright guys.. sorry to get the thread off topic
I see Gordon was just messing around it's all good..
I just see alot of guys that fly at Cal Jets baggin on EDF's and it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling

When I flew at the meet everyone there was cool to me as were the guys running the show
So your right I shouldn't let the comments made on RCU reflect how things really went at the event... I'm over it

Ron
Old 11-07-2008, 02:36 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Ron, its all good broski. Last year i took an Alpha A-4 and heard it all from all. When it took off and flew laps around some of the turbines in the sky, the comments turned to questios.....about where they could get the power system. It is all fun and games. Nick
Old 11-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Gordon Mc

Alright guys.. sorry to get the thread off topic
No worries … all's well that ends well !

If nothing else, this is a reminder to us to make sure that for CA-jets '09 we make sure we're going out of our way to spread the word to more EDF guys that they are welcome at the event.

OK .. now what do we talk about ?

Paul - what would the world's most interesting man suggest as our next topic ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.